1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Theo Makes The Right Decisions on most players

[Quote]So your putting Manny above Mays, Dimaggio and Aaron?

Manny is the only player in top 11 OPS+ who never won a MVP.

They all have same amount of rings and such it is pretty equal.

Joe D, for example had he not lost 4 years to the war would be no worse then 3rd - 4th on list.

This is just the hitting aspect, only Frank Thomas has worse defensive ability. Manny is by far the worst defensive player in top 11.

As for McGwire, do you have legal proof he did anything? No. Andro was not Illegal in 1998. Secondly he had no less then 4 seasons superior to Manny's best. Had he not had foot issues he would have been near top in HR's and RBI. His 162 OPS+ Surprised me too, but he was clearly better when you look at the numbers.

There are a ton of guys at 154 - 147 that could equal Manny or improve over him. At age 37 you cant believe Manny will be only player to improve post Ped's in MLB history.[/Quote]

No proof on McGuire, but I'd bet the house he used PEDs. Aaron was helped by a small park and a super long career.

Right on Joe D (plus he was hurt by the big LF stadium), I'll give you mays too, but it is close.

5 to 7 then, close to your best for him.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BuschBound. Show BuschBound's posts

[Quote]

You don't have a monopoly on Redsox fandom. Being a blind Theo lover does not mean you love the Sox more than me or anyone else. It makes you pathetic.

Maybe you have been a fan longer than me. I'm sorry if I lived in Milwaukee in '67 at age 8 and was a Brewer fan then. I switched to the Sox in 1972 when I moved to Maine and the Sox got my favorite player, Tommy Harper. I kept score of every game by radio and suffered the big losses of '75 and '86. I remember all Sox fans spent hours upon hours slamming Sox GMs and managers. Nobody called us unloyal then. Now after 2 rings, suddenly criticism is forbidden. After graduating form the U. of Notre Dame in '81, I have watched 98-99% of all Sox games on TV, not counting the hundreds I have gone to. I have seen 12 games at other parks. None of this makes me a better or worse fan than you. I give credit to Dan D, Lucchino and Theo for the wins. I don't only dwell on the past. You must not read all my threads, because I have many times praised the Sox, good moves by Theo and hopes for this year.

I happen to think Theo's early moves were way better than his most recent ones. Name his last great trade. Name his last great FA signing? (Dice-k?) I think the 2004 and 2007 teams were better than we are now. I don't think it's a radical or anti-Redsoz position to have. I'm getting tired of holier-than-thou "Redsox fans" like you who claim they are the real or true Redsox fans, because you only say good things about Theo and the Sox, even if you know somethings have gotten worse.
    [/Quote

]Ohhh here we go with th Theo lovin BS!! And I was just about to take it back after seeing what you said about Tommy Harper in the "breakup" thread and it being the first I've seen from you that was not post D.D. era.

By the way you got me beat by 2 parks and you got a couple of years on me so I'll stop with the son references.

I don't go back beyond the "front burner" for stories unless I have posts in it and if one gets brought up from the back I'll read it but at the same time when one is started with Theos name in it or the subject matter of the front office and I see you posting to it I bet to myself that your talk mostly negative
    and I'm usually right.

Maybe it's the optamist in me that keeps me looking ahead to October in February and knowing there is nothing anyone can do about what team I am dealt and I will tell you I was not happy when I saw Timlin walk into ST last year but seeing Wakefield makes me think all is ok...call me weird but who else was out there at the time that was better than Gagne, Lugo, Drew, Mirebelli & Renteria and who knew they would suck when they got here (Lugo, Gagne) and who knew the pressure of being here would be a cause of their demise (Renteria) and bringing back the best knuckleball catcher in the game in '06 to keep Wake successful was a great story at the time but because we did not win it all you knock it?

No one knew moon, and if you want to add a 13th park to that list of yours I got a boatload of tickets!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctsoxguy. Show ctsoxguy's posts

If Theo is always right, can anyone tell me why in the world Bobby Abreu isn't hitting third in front of Papi and playing rf for us this year? Drew could have been a platoon, late inning defensive player for us, as he seems to be rather "fragile body" in the Greenwell/ Mattingly/ mold, and while not a slouch,certainly not the hitters they were.
    imagine:
    Ellsbury cf
    Pedroia 2B
    Abreu Rf ---no wall! (Drew late inning defensively)
    Papi Dh
    Youk 1B
    Bay Lf
    Lowell 3B
    Varitek c
    Lugs/Lowrie ss

Would've started a new thread on it but couldn't figger out how.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

WHATS ALL THIS DEBATE ABOUT ???? ANYONE WHO KNOWS BASEBALL CAN SEE THAT THEO & THE RED SOX HAVE DONE ONE HELL OF A JOB BUILDING, +/-, TWEEKING THIS TEAM SINCE THEY BOUGHT THE TEAM IN 02....... THEO IS THE MAN !!!! " PINKY HIGGENS IS NOT WALKING THROUGH THAT DOOR " !!!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from lip2005a. Show lip2005a's posts

There is no debate. You are being trolled by Law2005 and Moonslav. Let's end this debate by the trolls.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[Quote][Quote]

You don't have a monopoly on Redsox fandom. Being a blind Theo lover does not mean you love the Sox more than me or anyone else. It makes you pathetic.

Maybe you have been a fan longer than me. I'm sorry if I lived in Milwaukee in '67 at age 8 and was a Brewer fan then. I switched to the Sox in 1972 when I moved to Maine and the Sox got my favorite player, Tommy Harper. I kept score of every game by radio and suffered the big losses of '75 and '86. I remember all Sox fans spent hours upon hours slamming Sox GMs and managers. Nobody called us unloyal then. Now after 2 rings, suddenly criticism is forbidden. After graduating form the U. of Notre Dame in '81, I have watched 98-99% of all Sox games on TV, not counting the hundreds I have gone to. I have seen 12 games at other parks. None of this makes me a better or worse fan than you. I give credit to Dan D, Lucchino and Theo for the wins. I don't only dwell on the past. You must not read all my threads, because I have many times praised the Sox, good moves by Theo and hopes for this year.

I happen to think Theo's early moves were way better than his most recent ones. Name his last great trade. Name his last great FA signing? (Dice-k?) I think the 2004 and 2007 teams were better than we are now. I don't think it's a radical or anti-Redsoz position to have. I'm getting tired of holier-than-thou "Redsox fans" like you who claim they are the real or true Redsox fans, because you only say good things about Theo and the Sox, even if you know somethings have gotten worse.
    [/Quote

]Ohhh here we go with th Theo lovin BS!! And I was just about to take it back after seeing what you said about Tommy Harper in the "breakup" thread and it being the first I've seen from you that was not post D.D. era.

By the way you got me beat by 2 parks and you got a couple of years on me so I'll stop with the son references.

I don't go back beyond the "front burner" for stories unless I have posts in it and if one gets brought up from the back I'll read it but at the same time when one is started with Theos name in it or the subject matter of the front office and I see you posting to it I bet to myself that your talk mostly negative
    and I'm usually right.

Maybe it's the optamist in me that keeps me looking ahead to October in February and knowing there is nothing anyone can do about what team I am dealt and I will tell you I was not happy when I saw Timlin walk into ST last year but seeing Wakefield makes me think all is ok...call me weird but who else was out there at the time that was better than Gagne, Lugo, Drew, Mirebelli & Renteria and who knew they would suck when they got here (Lugo, Gagne) and who knew the pressure of being here would be a cause of their demise (Renteria) and bringing back the best knuckleball catcher in the game in '06 to keep Wake successful was a great story at the time but because we did not win it all you knock it?

No one knew moon, and if you want to add a 13th park to that list of yours I got a boatload of tickets!
    [/Quote]

My most recent was two games in Houston last year, they lost both. 11-10 and 3-2. My most memorable was opening day in TB, the bullpen by committee year. I left in the ninth and heard the collapse on the radio on my way to NC to visit my sister. I have never left early after that.

I too dream of happy Octobers every year. I really want them to win every game. I will admit, one time, I said before the first ring: I'd take 10 straight last place finishes if we could just win one! I was wrong. I got spoiled. Now I want and sometimes expect one every year. I know it's unrealistic. I know my Redsox GM bashing history might be causing me to be too tough on Theo, but I really believe in my heart, we have gotten worse not better. Consider all the young kids that have contributed, yes we have Theo to thank for that, but if we had an equal nucleus from 2004 or 2007 with these kids, we'd have a dynasty. Theo has bumbled most recent FA signings and trades.

I actually liked Dan D., I thought we were going to win with his teams. I still criticized him too, when he blundered.

Yes Tommy Harper was my childhood baseball hero. Then I liked Tiant, Burleson, Soup Campbell, Tony Armas, and Manny. I hate the Yanks as much as any other Sox fan and once said, I'm just as happy when they lose as when we win.

I get PO'd when people question my fan loyalty. To me being critical of a GM is not reason to question someones loyalties. That guy Dabro brings a bad rep to us real Sox fans. Somewhere Yankee fans giggle at his outrageousness and Theo worship. Then he calls me a Yankee fan. What a joker.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dabro. Show Dabro's posts

I respect that analysis though I dont agree with it. It will be interesting to see how we do in 2009. That will tell us something about how well my praise versus your criticism stands up. Of course, it depends on yardsticks. I buy into Theo's two consistent annual goals:
    1) 95 wins every year with a shot at competing for the whole thing
    2) Continuing to build the team for the long and medium term, not just the short term and doing this within budget (which you seem to not believe or agree with)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tph2004. Show tph2004's posts

Manny has not won a MVP for the same reason David Ortiz has not, it goes to the best overall player unless there offensive talent only, such as Frank Thomas so overwhelms everyone else.

Manny has never been the best overall player in a season, if you look at the list of the top 11 he is the only guy without a MVP. Call it what you want that to me says he was never the best in a season. Most of the guys in top 11 have Multiple awards. Matter of fact he has only one award to date. Odd.

Plus you dont know if Manny is clean or not, after seeing his body, hard to think he got that way naturally. Since we have convicted McGwire, Sosa and dozens of other guys with no proof why not Manny. They are all under the microscope.

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[Quote]I respect that analysis though I dont agree with it. It will be interesting to see how we do in 2009. That will tell us something about how well my praise versus your criticism stands up. Of course, it depends on yardsticks. I buy into Theo's two consistent annual goals:
    1) 95 wins every year with a shot at competing for the whole thing
    2) Continuing to build the team for the long and medium term, not just the short term and doing this within budget (which you seem to not believe or agree with)
    [/Quote]

Not sure who you are talking to, but I have always been about staying inside the budget. I explained how we could have paid for Santana, and obviously the FO was prepared to extend him if we got him. I was against offering Tex even what the Sox offered him, I thought we could do better with the money (maybe even that could have paid for Santana if you don't believe my other plan : loss of Schill ($8M) and loss of Varitek ($10M) plus others = about $23M. I was against Lugo and Drew (I like Drew but the money was too high), so stop saying I am not "within the budget". We'd be under budget if Theo had made and not made 4-5 deals.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[Quote]Manny has not won a MVP for the same reason David Ortiz has not, it goes to the best overall player unless there offensive talent only, such as Frank Thomas so overwhelms everyone else.

Manny has never been the best overall player in a season, if you look at the list of the top 11 he is the only guy without a MVP. Call it what you want that to me says he was never the best in a season. Most of the guys in top 11 have Multiple awards. Matter of fact he has only one award to date. Odd.

Plus you dont know if Manny is clean or not, after seeing his body, hard to think he got that way naturally. Since we have convicted McGwire, Sosa and dozens of other guys with no proof why not Manny. They are all under the microscope.[/Quote]
    Ask any teamamte or manager of Manny and they will all tell you he works out harder than anybody else. This doesn't mean he never "juiced", but it is possible to get in the shape he has been in naturally.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tsawyer8. Show tsawyer8's posts

LAW=C#NT

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tsawyer8. Show tsawyer8's posts

My repetitive response to your posts is reflective of your repetitive arguments and name calling. Also there is no point what so ever in debating with you because of your single minded arguments and hatred. This is all you deserve.

I just wanted you to understand my point because I truly believe that you aren't clever enough to figure that out all by yourself.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Roast1999. Show Roast1999's posts

I don't have to stoop anywhere to discredit Manny, I let him do that when he's rolling around turning singles into triples or taking 6 seconds to get to first base with a no-hitter on the line. Video does that for me. I defended Manny every step along the way, but showing a complete lack of effort and hustle eventually just is too much to take. I am not saying Manny didn't help win the Sox two World Series, or tell you that he wasn't a great hitter. That being said, it was time for him to go. One player doesn't make a team, and if you think one player does make a team, then that's a problem.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil. Show snakeoil's posts

Are people on this board really unable to make strong arguments without insults?

Which sounds better. "Bush invaded Iraq without proof of WMDs"

"Bush Invaded Iraq without proof of WMD's you dumb redneck. Go brush your tooth".

It is just common knowledge. If you are unsure about your position then insult your opponent. It is the mark of desperation.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

[Quote]Are people on this board really unable to make strong arguments without insults?

"Bush Invaded Iraq without proof of WMD's you dumb redneck. Go brush your tooth".

It is just common knowledge. If you are unsure about your position then insult your opponent. It is the mark of desperation.[/Quote]

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

[Quote]Are people on this board really unable to make strong arguments without insults?

It is just common knowledge. If you are unsure about your position then insult your opponent. It is the mark of desperation.[/Quote]

This actually sounds better! At least funnier!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from snakeoil. Show snakeoil's posts

Agreed.

HA!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from tsawyer8. Show tsawyer8's posts

LAW=C#NT

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from tph2004. Show tph2004's posts

Manny was the second best right handed hitter in Red Sox history after Jimiee Foxx and slightly ahead of Nomar.

With that said, the Red Sox won 2 World Series because of pitching namly Schilling(6-1 guttest pitching in BB history in 2004), Foulke(1-0 3 saves 14 IP, 1 ER), Beckett(4-0, 30 IP, 3 eraned runs) and Pappelbon(1-0, 5 saves 10.2 IP 0 earned runs) by in large. When you have two closers pitch 25 innings and give up 1 earned run and two starters go 6-1 and 4-0, that is a combined 12-1, 8 saves and a ERA around 1.00. That is what won and who carried the team more then anyone else. Manny lead the team in not one catagory during those two WS runs.

Pitching wins that is a known fact. Manny btw did little in Historic 2004 ALCS 1 RBI in 7 games, no homeruns. Hit 264 in WS in 2007 . . . . .look he was a great player but he has never been the best in any single season and was not the driving force in the RS title runs. He was a part of the team but Ortiz always did more.

Manny also has been tagged as a untrust worthy player which is why he is not signed. He was a great player but the RS did what they had too.

BTW the RS played .667 and .615 ball in August and September 2008 and were 11-13 in July and best previous month was .593. So they faired pretty well without Manny.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Roast1999. Show Roast1999's posts

It is delusional and borderline psychotic to sit around dreaming up these whimsical, Willy Wonka Theo Chick rants because anyone who has ever understood an inning of MLB knows that Manny Ramirez Josh Beckett made the Red Sox a feared team in the postseason and his presence influenceds how opposing teams pitched to against the Sox.

Because opposing teams FEARED Manny Beckettin the Sox lineup rotation, other Red Sox hitters got quality at bats and a lot of pitches to hit the chance to have meaningful at bats. This is FACT. Period.

Take that away from the Red Sox and what do you have?

Take that pitching away from the Red Sox and Manny has zero rings. Prior to Theo, Sox miss the playoffs for multiple years. Manny had zero rings without Schilling and Beckett. In 04 the Sox were struggling until Mientkiewicz and Cabrera came to Boston, two guys who solidified the defense.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Nobody, but law, debates Theo and the FO excellent work on rebuilding the farm from bottom to near top. It is a big part of judging a team and management. However, I disagree on the A- or B+ rating for trades and signings, especially lately. A to A+ for the farm, B to B- for trades, and C to C- for FA signings. My over all B to B+. Top 5 in the league, but on the verge of slipping.

Its very important that we differentiate Moonslav from Law. I agree with all of these points.

I would also add that the opportunity cost has hurt us. For example "these low risk - high reward guys" in combination cost us more than Derek Lowe would have. To me, thats a risk. As Lowe is still nothing short of an ace. But Theo chose to bring in Penny and Smoltz for 90% of the money. To me, that was a mistake.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Drewski5. Show Drewski5's posts

Although, Moonslav is wrong about Manny. Bay gives you 90% of Manny would, and dont forget, Manny was seen with a sign in the clubhouse that said "trade me for Favre." Thats a slap in the face to this organization, considering how much his numbers improved, when he left it was obvious that Manny was giving us 75% of Manny.

Ill take 90% of Manny (Bay) /> 75% of Manny (Manny). Bay is a legit all-star outfielder, he's not 100% of manny, but hes a darn good player.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Roast1999. Show Roast1999's posts

[Quote]

What? A mistake? By Theo Epstein?

Gee.

(Actually Theo has made 7 mistakes for every 3 things he did right...not a good percentage)[/Quote]

You are so busy kissing up to Moon, yet you ignore several things. 1) Moon has said Theo is a top five GM 2) He has given Theo a 65% rating, with the top GM having a rating of only about 70% 3) Many people on this board will freely admit that Theo has made mistakes and isn't perfect, but you will never admit that Theo has made many great moves

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from tph2004. Show tph2004's posts

If Manny was so important why are you so high on Santana? How many runs would he have scored?

Why not get another slugger?

Didnt work for NYY to outhit teams did it.