1. You have chosen to ignore posts from zoidrk. Show zoidrk's posts

THEO THE MASSIVE FRAUD

I swear the next person who mentions the genius of Epstein around me I am throwin down.
    TELL ME AGAIN WHY BOWDEN AND BUCHHOLTZ ARE SHUT DOWN SO WE CAN THROW A 42-YEAR OLD BEER LEAGUE PITCHER LIKE TIMLIN IN THE MOST CRUCIAL GAME OF THE YEAR.

AND TELL ME WHY DAVID ORTIZ IS STANDING ON FIRST BASE AS THE TYING RUN. ISN'T BUCHHOLTZ THE FASTEST GUY ON THE TEAM. COULDN'T WE HAVE USED HIM THERE?
    AND WHY COULDN'T YOU HIT CASEY FOR CORA. BECAUSE EVEN THOUGH WE HAVE ROSTER SPOTS AVAILABLE THEO DIDN'T SEE THE NEED TO CALL UP ANOTHER INFIELDER WHO COULD HAVE REPLACED CORA IN THE FIELD.
    FRATBOY IS THE BIGGEST FRAUD IN THE HISTORY OF BOSTON SPORTS. DON'T GIVE ME THAT WON TWO CHAMPIONSHIP CRAP. MOST OF THE PLAYERS WERE EITHER HERE BEFORE HIM (BECKETT AND LOWELL CAME WHILE HE WAS HIDING IN HIS GORILLA SUIT) AND THE KIDS ARE THE WORK OF THE SCOUTING DEPARTMENT.
    FRAUD, FRAUD, FRAUD.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gavino5000. Show Gavino5000's posts

THEO THE MASSIVE FRAUD

you're an idiot

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from newenglanderinexile. Show newenglanderinexile's posts

THEO THE MASSIVE FRAUD

You should march right down to Fenway tomorrow and put in your application for general manager. You'll probably be hired on the spot. I don't know why you call this the most crucial game of the year, but you must be right. And I like your idea of not worrying about being careful with young promising arms. The Sox have proved over the last couple of years with Lester, Papelbon, Masterson, and even (sometimes) Delcarmen that they have no idea how to bring young pitchers along.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from zoidrk. Show zoidrk's posts

THEO THE MASSIVE FRAUD

[Quote]you're an idiot[/Quote]
    as is anyone who has a different opinion than you. it takes the intelligence of a four year old to call someone a name. Thanks for the healthy sports debate.
    If you can honestly say you prefered Timlin pitching that inning instead of Buchholtz or Bowden (are they china dolls?) then fine. If Youk or Bay or Cora had hit a shot into the corner, would you really have enjoyed watching Papi lug around the bases trying to score the tying run from first instead of a fast runner? And needing a long ball, you really were happy with Cora at the plate instead of Casey?
    Your mother wears army boots. There, Now I am on your level.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

THEO THE MASSIVE FRAUD

I'll agree with your assessment of Theo to a point.

He really is not a genius.

But he sure knows a heck of alot more than you do.

Anyone who watched Buchholz pitch this season understands that this kid needs more time in the minors. Bowden was only here for one emergency start.

Stating that Theo is a fraud based on not having Bowden and Buchholz on the roster is just plain ignorant. These two players are not vital parts of the team, the Sox should be able to beat Tampa Bay without having to go that far down on the depth chart. If they can't then it's time to admit that the Rays are just a better all around team, take the wildcard, and go from there.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaffyDan. Show DaffyDan's posts

THEO THE MASSIVE FRAUD

Theo's a genius.

Now, if you're a man of your word, I'll be outside the Cask & Flagon tonight at 6pm.

I'll be the guy in the Gorilla suit.

Daf.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from joseba1. Show joseba1's posts

THEO THE MASSIVE FRAUD

Theo has one of the highest payrolls in baseball at his disposal -- his mistakes are easier to hide than those of a GM with a smaller bankroll.

A genius he definitely is not.

A genius GM would win without the $$$.

Think about where the money is coming from. Whenever you pay your cable bill, buy a beer or dog at Fenway, or purchase any RS endorsed product, you are the one enabling him to be a "genius".

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tph2004. Show tph2004's posts

THEO THE MASSIVE FRAUD

Wow, I agree on one thing. You realize that by paying for cable you are paying a huge part of the Red Sox and other sports payrolls.

Sorry I am not buying the genius tag or he would win without $$$. It isnt possible. Teams can have a small or smaller payroll if they have great talent coming in from minors but when is the last time that happened?

Theo has done a GREAT job developing the farm system. GREAT! Look at the Roster and you tell me a team who has developed more impact players and winning with them.

Trades 50/50 definate weakness

FA signings, it has been 50/50 basicly.

Okay, the Pinch running thing is stupid. Sorry but American League pitchers do not run base's. In the NL maybe, in AL since they only pitch it makes no sense. Secondly Bucholtz was a disastor and it is not in his interest to be up here. He needs about 3 months in minors next season then hopefully at 23 he becomes a solid MLB Pitcher.

Bowden, who knows, they have a pitch thersohold and obviously based on low level of arm inuries they have it figured out.

I dont know why Casey didnt hit but Theo doesnt make that call.

The Red Sox have won two titles and are set up for a long run at the top if you dont think that is succesful then I dont know what is.

BTW~ They have had tons of injuries and are in the hunt because of minor league depth. Not alot of teams would survive losing Ortiz for 2 months. Start short stop and Rightfielder for 60+ games. Outfield depth issues all year. They lost Beckett, Dice K and Wakefield for stretch's during the year.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxnpats168. Show soxnpats168's posts

THEO THE MASSIVE FRAUD

2 Championships in 4 Years. 0 in the previous 86.

So tell me how he's an idiot when he's the first GM to bring the trophy back to beantown.

Sometimes these threads are so pointless...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from gickchum. Show gickchum's posts

THEO THE MASSIVE FRAUD

'04 was won with Duquette's players

'07 was won with duquette and lucchino's players

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from M1A2. Show M1A2's posts

THEO THE MASSIVE FRAUD

I'm not sure I would call Theo Epstein a genius, but he has been right for this team. It's not just the two WS wins, first two in 86 years, but the fact that the Sox have been competitive every year but 2006 when the pitching collapsed, mostly because of injuries.

This year Manny quit and then was traded and Ortiz is a shell of his former self. Last year it was the knee, this year the wrist and the knee and probably some loss of confidence. That's two terrific hitters that the Sox have relied on in the past. Now throw in the career ending injury to Schilling, who was invaluable last year, and the injuries to Lowell, Drew, Beckett, Lugo, et al, and the Sox still have a good shot at last year's MLB-leading 96 wins and are a good bet for the playoffs. Why? Because Theo had some good guys in the minors that could fill in, plus he picked up Jason Bay and Paul Byrd and Kotsay.

And the Sox now have something like the fourth biggest payroll in MLB and a lot smaller one than the Yankees, who are out of it this year.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

THEO THE MASSIVE FRAUD

[Quote]I'm not sure I would call Theo Epstein a genius, but he has been right for this team. It's not just the two WS wins, first two in 86 years, but the fact that the Sox have been competitive every year but 2006 when the pitching collapsed, mostly because of injuries.

This year Manny quit and then was traded and Ortiz is a shell of his former self. Last year it was the knee, this year the wrist and the knee and probably some loss of confidence. That's two terrific hitters that the Sox have relied on in the past. Now throw in the career ending injury to Schilling, who was invaluable last year, and the injuries to Lowell, Drew, Beckett, Lugo, et al, and the Sox still have a good shot at last year's MLB-leading 96 wins and are a good bet for the playoffs. Why? Because Theo had some good guys in the minors that could fill in, plus he picked up Jason Bay and Paul Byrd and Kotsay.

And the Sox now have something like the fourth biggest payroll in MLB and a lot smaller one than the Yankees, who are out of it this year.[/Quote] MIA, GOOD POST AND VERY GOOD LOGIC...... B BALL IS BIG BUSINESS.... NO TEAM HIT'S 1000 ON ALL THEIR MOVES. THEO HAS HAD HIS WIFF'S BUT HIS HIT'S HAVE BEEN GOOD ONES...... LIKE GOLF, "NEVER UP, NEVER IN !!!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

THEO THE MASSIVE FRAUD

What we have is a GM who is doing a great job at rebuilding a team while it still competes. That in itself is an accomplishment , but as others have said, he does have the luxury of more money to work with than say KC, Tampa or Florida.

If we look at the trades , we can see that Theo is less than a genius. Gagne, Wily Mo , just awful. Byrd , Kotsay , much better... Maybe he's still learning this part of the job.... At any rate, the Manny trade may turn out in our favor if Bay re-signs and is an impact player....but should Manny lead LA to the Series, Hansen become a top reliever and Bay becomes a bust , we will have to revisit this one in about two years or so.

Free Agent signings have been sort of luke warm. Daisuke looks like a good one , but time will surely tell. Drew is looking more and more like a mistake, not because he is bad, but because he can't stay healthy. Lugo is looking bad mainly because Lowrie has nmatured ahead of schedule and is just a real terrific little player...I like him more and more everyday( sorry Julio!, This doesn't mean I am knocking you , but Lowrie sure can hit!)

Epstien is quite good , I like him , he should be Red Sox GM for years, but he's still no genius.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from DanBRL. Show DanBRL's posts

THEO THE MASSIVE FRAUD

"AND TELL ME WHY DAVID ORTIZ IS STANDING ON FIRST BASE AS THE TYING RUN. ISN'T BUCHHOLTZ THE FASTEST GUY ON THE TEAM. COULDN'T WE HAVE USED HIM THERE?"

Uh, Buchholtz?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

THEO THE MASSIVE FRAUD

If you can honestly say you prefered Timlin pitching that inning instead of Buchholtz or Bowden (are they china dolls?) then fine.

They're shut down for the season. Of course, as bad as Buchholz was in the 2nd half, of course everyone would prefer to see Timlin. But since both are shut down, there is nothing else to discuss.

If you want to discuss that young pitchers should have no limits, while few would agree with you, it's an entorely different argument.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Roast1999. Show Roast1999's posts

THEO THE MASSIVE FRAUD

So just to clarify this moronic logic, you would rather have Buccholz in the game either A) Pitching with an ERA of 6.75 in a role he hasn't really prepared for or B) RUNNING THE BASES? Are you kidding me? Look at two HUGE moves that Theo made, one that paid off and won us a World Series and a second that is working out well. Trading Nomar was crucial to the 2004 WS win, so to say he won with other players doesn't hold water. This year, Manny was destroying the team the same way Nomar was, and Theo took a risk to get rid of him. Guess what. The team is doing far better without him because of chemistry reasons and because they have a deep lineup (That Theo built)....

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

THEO THE MASSIVE FRAUD

[Quote]So just to clarify this moronic logic, you would rather have Buccholz in the game either A) Pitching with an ERA of 6.75 in a role he hasn't really prepared for or B) RUNNING THE BASES? Are you kidding me? Look at two HUGE moves that Theo made, one that paid off and won us a World Series and a second that is working out well. Trading Nomar was crucial to the 2004 WS win, so to say he won with other players doesn't hold water. This year, Manny was destroying the team the same way Nomar was, and Theo took a risk to get rid of him. Guess what. The team is doing far better without him because of chemistry reasons and because they have a deep lineup (That Theo built)....[/Quote]

Tell me again that Manny was destroying the team. I still don't get that.

We are still in 2nd place chasing Tampa Bay.

the Dodgers have caught and passed Arizona and are leaving them in the rearview mirror...largely due to Manny Ramirez , NL player of the month for Aug.

"THE TEAM IS DOING FAR BETTER WITHOUT HIM" ...PROVE THIS STATEMENT.

I say the team is doing about the same ,taking advantage of a more favorable late season schedule.

We were in 1st place with Manny in the lineup through much of the 1st half.

As I said, I still don't get this 'Manny was killing us " mentality. I just don't think that was true at all.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from letswinsox. Show letswinsox's posts

THEO THE MASSIVE FRAUD

I love this team without Manny, but that is besides the point.

Theo has a mixed record for me. First the blunders:

Error Rentaria
    Matt Clement
    Wade Miller
    Eric Gagne (Any fellow Francophones find the irony in what the meaning of his name is in French?)
    Not signing Orlando Cabrera

Good moves:
    Ortiz (I think that was on Theo's watch)
    Beckett and Lowell
    Getting rid of Nomar (what has he done since?)
    Getting rid of Pedro (what has he done since?)
    Not getting ARod

So-So moves:
    Coco (whom I love, but I realize isn't the greatest)
    Mark Lorretta
    Not giving Damon the money he wanted (all in all, this was probably a good move)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from tph2004. Show tph2004's posts

THEO THE MASSIVE FRAUD

Why dont you add:

Trade for Schilling
    Re signing Tek
    Signing Foulke
    Re signing Trot Nixon after 03
    Claiming Millar
    Trading for Roberts
    Getting OC, even if they let him go
    David Wells, pitched well
    Todd Walker
    Bellhorn
    I disagree with A Rod, sorry if that got Magglio and A Rod they would of been a power too. Biggest hole this team has had is at Short they solve two problems power and SS. Magglio is a great hitter too. I dont know what would of happened but in A Rod doesnt go to NY they fall off the map 2 years ago, he has put up some big numbers there.

What have they done since his take over in winter of 2002:

2003 ALCS lost in 7 Games
    2004 World Series, staff ace Schilling, closer Foulke, MVP Ortiz he didnt win with DD players it was a mix
    2005 Tied for first lost in first round
    2006 In First til Mid August when team had major injuries (including losing Manny for last 6 weeks after he had a superhero weekend
    2007 First place and World Series, ROY Pedoria
    2008 Unknown, 5 Games up in WC with 16 to play

Personally, I hate the Manny drama and Manny trade. Atleast with Pedro in 2004 and Damon in 05 the played to the end hands down all out. Manny shot himself out of town and proved there was no injury he just didnt want to play here. The team clearly is not better without him but they did what they obviously had no choice to do.

The bottom line is this, if we are starting to eveluate Theo through World Series titles and teams that says alot and that was not a conversation anyone would of had 5 years ago.

One thing is certain they will need to make a trade for a power bat this off season or they become the Angels of 03 - 07, good team but wont beat good pitching.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from M1A2. Show M1A2's posts

THEO THE MASSIVE FRAUD

zillagod, is it worth mentioning that the Sox are 26-13 (.667) since Manny left, despite all the injuries (Drew, Lowell, Ortiz, Beckett, Lugo, Youk) and the departure of Manny, and were 61-48 (.570) with Manny? Is it worth mentioning that 96 wins this year is eminently doable and that last year's team, with Manny and Ortiz both hitting well and Schilling one of the starters, had 96 wins, which tied with the Indians for most wins in MLB?

Right now, Ortiz, probably because of his wrist, is not the Ortiz of last year or of the last five years. And Manny is gone. And Lowell is way below last year's stats (120 rbi). And Drew, who was having a good year, is probably out for the season with the bad back. That's a pretty good foursome to lose at a critical time of the season.

Don't get me wrong. I think Manny has been fantastic with the Dodgers and can't remember when he was playing this well. But you are delusional if you think he was ever, ever going to be like this for the Red Sox--short of a new $80M-$120M contract at the beginning of the year. And even then I doubt it because right now Manny desperately needs to show that he is still worth all the money in the world, which is what he wants--at, I hasten to add, age 36.

And how else--besides destructive--does one characterize a player who decks the traveling secretary, shams a knee injury, and leaves his bat on his shoulder when the manager asks him to pinch hit on his off day? Or who rarely runs to first on a hit ball, whether it be a grounder, a homer, a double/single, or a fly out? Or who rolls around in the outfield to convert a single into a triple and comes up with a big happy smile on his face?

Right now Manny is the 8th wonder of the world for the Dodgers. He's hitting like practically no one else in the game can hit, he is running out all hit balls, he is great in the clubhouse, etc. But the Dodgers and any other team in baseball has to be asking the question, what will he do once he gets the salary he wants and has nothing to prove? Will he do what he did in 2006 and quit for a month or so because of pains in his knees for which the MRI's were negative?

When he was here, I was, for the most part, a huge Manny fan, as most other Red Sox fans were. And we all forgave most of the "manny being manny" stuff. It seemed harmless and was certainly colorful. But this year was different, very different. And Theo--and, more importantly, John Henry, a big Manny believer--had to find a way to replace him before he dragged this team below .500.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from gickchum. Show gickchum's posts

THEO THE MASSIVE FRAUD

Eric Gagne (Any fellow Francophones find the irony in what the meaning of his name is in French?)

I get it

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

THEO THE MASSIVE FRAUD

M I A...... A GREAT POST HERE.... COULD'NT HAVE BEEN SAID ANY BETTER..... WATCH OUT FOR "DANNYBOY" AS HE WILL TRY AND THROW SOME STONES AT THIS...... AGAIN, GREAT POST !!!!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from detourjazz. Show detourjazz's posts

THEO THE MASSIVE FRAUD

Tell me again that Manny was destroying the team. I still don't get that. We are still in 2nd place chasing Tampa Bay. the Dodgers have caught and passed Arizona and are leaving them in the rearview mirror...largely due to Manny Ramirez , NL player of the month for Aug. "THE TEAM IS DOING FAR BETTER WITHOUT HIM" ...PROVE THIS STATEMENT.

__ OK. .if any employee anywhere else said "i don't care about my job, and don't want to play / work for them" how many "real people" would be trusted in DOING their best in their job? He flat out wasn't playing 100% for us. .with Bay we have a hard worker, and good fit, team wise.

Manny, sure has sparked LA, they needed what he had, a spark and he's feeling rejuvinated and better being there. . . natural progression. or bump if you will. . . we have done this. . all this. . going to the playoffs, this year NEVER at 100% .. so we're rebuilding, and still going to the post-season in the SAME SEASON. . that is never done or seen.

The yankees have had the same misfortunes (or not even as much ) as us. .and we're still post season bound. . so what's your point about Francona and Theo? we're getting the JOB done. . limping as we are. . but we're there. .

ALL this he's an idiot talk in itself is idiotic. . HIND SIGHT is 20/ 20. . how does one EVER know how a trade is going to work out. . . HOW?

there is NO way. . . none. . zero. . nada

maybe we can say (in hind sight) it's great we DIDNT get J. Santatna this off season .. add to Theo's Genius (in hind sight it does) SHEESH

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from detourjazz. Show detourjazz's posts

THEO THE MASSIVE FRAUD

I agree with SOCKY. . no one can be held accountable to trades .. or FA aqcuisitons. . you never know what you get, and you never know how they'll respond to team ch emistry. .coaching .. etc. . you can't hold the GM responsible. . NOT MAKING the trades and FA moves.. is something that can be held against the GM

NOW: farm system, buidling, keeping, and bringing along, we have the ups and downs during the seasons, to try the Bowndes, Buch's and Ellsbury's out. . and lowries. . so when we're in desperate need (like this year at SS) we have some slightly or more tested prospects. . not just thrown in and blown out for good. .

KUDOS to Theo

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

THEO THE MASSIVE FRAUD

It has been a while since I've read a good zoid rant. And I'm still waiting for one.

"TELL ME AGAIN WHY BOWDEN AND BUCHHOLTZ ARE SHUT DOWN SO WE CAN THROW A 42-YEAR OLD BEER LEAGUE PITCHER LIKE TIMLIN IN THE MOST CRUCIAL GAME OF THE YEAR."

Because we ran out of pitchers in 14 IP and had 20-something "most critical games left"? Because maybe Buchholz problem relates to last season's "dead arm" issues, and they don't want to make the same mistake with Bowden?

"AND TELL ME WHY DAVID ORTIZ IS STANDING ON FIRST BASE AS THE TYING RUN. ISN'T BUCHHOLTZ THE FASTEST GUY ON THE TEAM. COULDN'T WE HAVE USED HIM THERE?"

Fairly certain that's a manager, not a General Manager, who puts pinch runners into games. You know, like Francona oddly did for Varitek in the 7th with 2 outs, for reasons I may never understand.

"AND WHY COULDN'T YOU HIT CASEY FOR CORA. BECAUSE EVEN THOUGH WE HAVE ROSTER SPOTS AVAILABLE THEO DIDN'T SEE THE NEED TO CALL UP ANOTHER INFIELDER WHO COULD HAVE REPLACED CORA IN THE FIELD."

Again, manager. With Youkilis at 1b and Lowrie at 3b, Francona could have hit for Cora and re-aligned those two (Casey to 1b, Youk to 3b, Lowrie to SS), he just chose not to. Talk to him about it...

Sections
Shortcuts