1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Theo: what next?

The biggest needs are:

1) A capable everyday Catcher. (Please, not Jason)

2) A capable fielding Shortstop. (Hitting a bonus)

3) A top line pitcher. (Always a need since a surplus
    can always be dealt in July)

Lot's of names swirling around, who do you think is the best "get", but be realistic in the offers you propose. None of this Wake, Varitek and Lugo for Han Ram bull.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bossoxAl. Show bossoxAl's posts

catcher, catcher, catcher. thats it.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dabro. Show Dabro's posts

Lowrie has the potential to be a solid defensive SS and a good all around player. Can we at least give the guy a chance to see if he can have an injury free year. You cant make your strategy building around the farm and then not use it. As far as pitching goes, by my count we have 8 quality potential starters and 8 quality potential relievers so forget that. I love the idea of moving on from Varitek and Lugo. We need a catcher, catcher, catcher -- just like Al says.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[Quote]Catcher and play ball...we need nothing outside of that unless they look for a trade for a power impact player(which I don't see happening).

I would offer Tek a 2 yr 16 million dollar contract with a week deadline...I would then make a trade and move on.

The Sox did everything I hoped they would...Smoltz/Penny/Rocco. The other signings were good as well. The Sox will be as good as their health will take them.[/Quote]

Tek is worth about $2-500,000/yr, why pay 10-15 times his worth? Loyalty?
    The only way I pay Tek over $5 million is for a lifetime services contract and he can begin coaching as soon as July if he continues as he has the last 1 1/2 seasons.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

just a catcher

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from badscience. Show badscience's posts

Give Tek a reasonable one year deal (I'll let the FO be the judge of that) with lots of incentives + one year option. Cap brings some substantial intangibles to the dugout and, hopefully, will hit 40-50 points better than last year, with fewer at bats. (Need to get our 2010 catcher ready to go.)

On to Spring Training.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Heff-17. Show Heff-17's posts

a top of the line pitcher? granted, you can never have enough pitching, but we have the best rotation in baseball. the best top three by far (yes, included the one the yankees just bought), the best five by far, and many options at number four, including the primary choce Penny, who has nearly always performed at 2-3 level. we still need a lot, but spending top dollar on pitching isn't one of them.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

I think Bard could well be our opening day starter, and I'm not overly distressed by that.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

What former Charlestown, New Hampshire cathcer debuted with the Sox at the age of 21 in 1969 and went on to be Rookie of the Year in 1972?
    Because Jason Varitek's hitting declined so quickly the BoSox FO is culpable for not being ready with a capable back-up...but hark!

http://www.soxprospects.com/players/exposito-luis.htm

Methinks we have the Future Fenway backstop starting his season with the Salem Red Sox in the Single A Carolina League. He's 21 and will see some time in the bigs this year over Wagner, Brown, and Kottaras.

He has a name that sounds and looks familiar to The Gallery Gods...Exposito.

As for all the comments I see here...Lowrie is a keeper and there's a kid (Argenis Diaz) who is porjected as a Gold Glove in the majors by some scouts, who'll be playing for the Portland Seadogs this year.

The need as I see it? Succinctly replace Manny's missing bat, even if it means trading Jason Bay and Clay Bucholtz or Justin Masterson. Carlos Lee, currently in the 3rd year of a 6-year $100 million contract with the Astros. I'd make that trade in a New York minute!

Check out the big board...http://sports.yahoo.com/fantasy/mlb/news?slug=bf-bigboard-baseball Manny, Carlos and Jason are rated 28th, 29th and 30th...and with Bay in free agency soon. Why not? Bay has never hit over .300 and the Astros need pitching.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

Varitek will be the Red Sox regular starting catcher in 2009 methinks.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomerangsdotcom. Show Boomerangsdotcom's posts

Let Veritek go somewhere else (teaching Boras a lesson), take the 2 draft picks we would probably get for that and bring up Dusty Brown to catch along with Bard. Brown might well be similar to Montero at a much lower price. I think Esposito has a strong chance but probably not for 2 years from now if then. He's had one good year in A ball. No reason to get a tingle in your leg yet. He has an opportunity. Will he do something with it and be a multimillionaire or will he blow everything and live off his bonus and have fun. We will see. I'm hoping we can reach him.

It's hard to understand how Lowrie only had 2 errors last year. That is outstanding. I don't remember any spectacular plays though either. When he was drafted most people thought he didn't have the range for shortstop. I think he might have a solid bat though long term. If you look at that year he had in double A he put up some great offensive numbers. He seems to be able to turn on any fastball. He and Ellsbury just need to learn to lay off that inside pitch more. I have no problem with him hitting 8 or 9. I think his hitting will improve from last year and that would be pretty decent for a shortstop. He might hit 280 with 40 doubles, 6 triples and 8 homers. Nothing wrong with that. He's cheap. Let's give him a shot but keep drafting studs to protect ourselves!

I think Boston might well have the deepest pitching staff in baseball now, which is a factor we all know is so important. You might as well count on needing 8-9 starting pitchers minimum every year and we are one of the few teams prepared for that. The relief corp and pitching depth in general is still an issue for the Yankees. The Rays look loaded though! I still think the competition next year will be the Rays. Our best hope is for them to maybe have some injuries in the pitching staff after all that work for their staff last year. It is really tough to replicate that kind of performance every year. Look no further than Detroit for that.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from billy13. Show billy13's posts

I think the sox will trade for a young prospect catcher before spring training.

Its shouldnt affect Tek. We should sign Tek for one year 5million. Then Tek saves face, and we have our captain. I do have concerns about Tek coming back at all. If he takes a smaller salary, how happy is he going to be, thinking he got screwed? Also, his big snit when he was pinch hit for by Francona. He needs to understand and comply with a different role, and Im not sure he will do that. He could be a big problem. If they sign a young catcher, they will want him to play 75-80 games. Split time with Tek. I dont think that will go over well. He thinks he is a full time catcher still and would be playing for a contract. The longer this goes on, the more it looks like a cluster**** waiting to happen.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from drpjn. Show drpjn's posts

I agree that the catcher issue is all that's left. Of course, it's a long season and anything can happen which could then require some adjustments and/or acquisitions.

As I've said a few times within these spaces, Borass and Varitek blew it big time by refusing arbitration. It's win win for Boston. Either they rsign him for a paltry sum, or they get a dfart pick when he signs elsewhere.

Couldn't have happened to a more deserving jerk of an agent!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from harv53. Show harv53's posts

We need a catcher. I think LoDuca, even though he's 36, he's a carrer .286 hitter and doesn't strike out often.

He's be a great fit for the RS for a short term deal, 1-2 years.
    He's a gamer and a great clubhouse guy.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

[Quote]What former Charlestown, New Hampshire cathcer debuted with the Sox at the age of 21 in 1969 and went on to be Rookie of the Year in 1972?
    Because Jason Varitek's hitting declined so quickly the BoSox FO is culpable for not being ready with a capable back-up...but hark!

Methinks we have the Future Fenway backstop starting his season with the Salem Red Sox in the Single A Carolina League. He's 21 and will see some time in the bigs this year over Wagner, Brown, and Kottaras.

As for all the comments I see here...Lowrie is a keeper and there's a kid (Argenis Diaz) who is porjected as a Gold Glove in the majors by some scouts, who'll be playing for the Portland Seadogs this year.

The need as I see it? Succinctly replace Manny's missing bat, even if it means trading Jason Bay and Clay Bucholtz or Justin Masterson. Carlos Lee, currently in the 3rd year of a 6-year $100 million contract with the Astros. I'd make that trade in a New York minute!

Check out the big board...http://sports.yahoo.com/fantasy/mlb/news?slug=bf-bigboard-baseball Manny, Carlos and Jason are rated 28th, 29th and 30th...and with Bay in free agency soon. Why not? Bay has never hit over .300 and the Astros need pitching.[/Quote]

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

[Quote]What former Charlestown, New Hampshire cathcer debuted with the Sox at the age of 21 in 1969 and went on to be Rookie of the Year in 1972?

Check out the big board...http://sports.yahoo.com/fantasy/mlb/news?slug=bf-bigboard-baseball Manny, Carlos and Jason are rated 28th, 29th and 30th...and with Bay in free agency soon. Why not? Bay has never hit over .300 and the Astros need pitching.[/Quote]

why would you want to trade that many young guys (including bay) for a guy who is really just a DH in waiting for the sox who already have a full time DH who rarely ever plays the field? I do not see lee being any better than bay never mind trading buchholz and masterson for him. lee is also quite a bit more expensive than all three of the guys you mentioned (even if you were to include bay's salary increase that would be expected after next season ends).

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Lowrie was about the best rookie SS in the league last year. Not seeing much of need there. I'd like to see some improvement at catcher, but I tend not to worry about #9 hitters playing a defensive position. I'd like see us get Montero at the right price, but our season shouldn't depend on that.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[Quote]I think the sox will trade for a young prospect catcher before spring training.

Its shouldnt affect Tek. We should sign Tek for one year 5million. Then Tek saves face, and we have our captain. I do have concerns about Tek coming back at all. If he takes a smaller salary, how happy is he going to be, thinking he got screwed? Also, his big snit when he was pinch hit for by Francona. He needs to understand and comply with a different role, and Im not sure he will do that. He could be a big problem. If they sign a young catcher, they will want him to play 75-80 games. Split time with Tek. I dont think that will go over well. He thinks he is a full time catcher still and would be playing for a contract. The longer this goes on, the more it looks like a cluster**** waiting to happen.[/Quote]

Tek is worth $200,000 to 500,000. No other team will sign him for more due to the lost draft pick. Why pay him $5 Mil...."to save face"? It was Varitek who listened to Boras and turned down Arbitration. This should not be rewarded. Boras should not get a % of any "save face" or loyalty signing by the Sox.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I said it then, I still think it now.

I hope Tek proves me wrong, but it doesn't look good, so far.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PSFever. Show PSFever's posts

Catching is the position that would solidify our team. Everyone including Theo knows this but refuses to trade a couple prospects. I will predict the Yankees trade for a top young catcher like Salty before Theo gives in.

This should be Tek's last season as a starting catcher if he doesn't improve his stats. I feel the same about Wake if he continues to get hammered like he has this spring.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

Well guys, you can speculate on all this stuff all day, but guess what...

...Varitek is not going anywhere this season! Lugo's contract will NOT be eaten, ala Renteria and replacing Bay for Carlos Lee ain't happening either, and why should it (dumb trade idea in my opinion)! So let's just take on Lee's remaining $50million and dump Bay because he's going to possibly be a free agent, throw in Buchholz because we are here to service the Astros, when we have no clue if Lee would put up any better numbers.

Everyone here is still trying to just package Buchholz in a deal for a bag of balls!! It amazes me that a "kid" overacheives in one year, comes back down to earth in the next, and then the fanbase wants him ridden out of town on a rail!! AMAZING! HE IS STILL A FREAKIN KID!

And please let's not start the Saltalamacchia trade proposals, by dumping Buchholz (who else), again OK.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[Quote]

Bay and Buchholz or Masterson for Lee might be the worst trade suggestion I have ever seen.

Lee is a step down from Bay at the plate. His OPS for his career is about 40 points lower and his RC/27 is over a full run lower (7.21 to 6.10).

And then there is Lee's "defense", which might be the worst in MLB. He covers a lot of ground the same way an office building covers a lot of ground. Bay is no Gold Glover, but compared to Lee, he is Roberto Clemente times Dwight Evans.

So we should give up a top pitching prospect for the honor of stepping down both offensively and defensively?

Lee might be a good guy to get on a fantasy team, where defense doesn't matter and his ability to reach the extremely short porch in Houston can't be avoided, but in the real world, he is a bad idea and one best avoided by the Red Sox.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from billy13. Show billy13's posts

Papelbon said it right. Bay is "Johnny Ballgame". He isnt going anywhere. I dont think Bucholz is either unless its a blockbuster. Carlos Lee?? Give me a break. Lets let Varitek get 40 games before we start writing him off again. Lugo is more of a problem. If hes only out for a month, shouldnt be any time to panic.

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Roast1999. Show Roast1999's posts

I don't know what you've seen this Spring Training (Which you seem to think is all important), but the Sox offense has been putting plenty of runs up and the pitching staff has looked great. Pedroia will be back on the field soon, Lowrie proved he can handle playing shortstop, Lowell looks good so far and if anyone in the bullpen or rotation gets hurt there have been plenty of kids stepping up who would be capable of handling the task. It's still far too early to be concerned.