1. You have chosen to ignore posts from SeanGar. Show SeanGar's posts

Tim Graham, AFC E. ESPN Reporter Felt To Add This

Tim Graham, Our Happy-Go-Lucky AFC East Reporter and Pat's Basher (IF You want to see my Opinions on Graham take a lookt at my previous Thread "3 Reasons Pats' Fans Should LOVE ESPN")-felt the need to add this to his Blog, so It's shown Why The Pat's are crummy despite their Record... Not written by Graham, simply a "Vicarious" smashing of the Team Graham is paid to cover and apparently loves to hate, a "proof in point" so to say:

Scouts Inc.: Pats got just what they deserved

October 29, 2008 1:55 PM

Posted by Scouts Inc.'s Matt Williamson

After ranking New England 18th in my power rankings this week when the consensus of the group had the Patriots ranked No. 7, I took a lot of heat from SportsNation. OK, you've had your turn. Now I get to explain my vote.

The Patriots did defeat the revitalized Rams, 23-16, in New England on Sunday and completely dismantled the Broncos on "Monday Night Football" in Week 7. New England is now 5-2 and tied with Buffalo atop the AFC East. That cannot be denied and that's what starts many of the arguments against me: How could I rate a first-place team with just two losses so low?

Here's why: In my mind, the most important aspects of playing winning football in the league this year is quarterback play, the ability to run the football, winning the turnover battle and getting after opposing quarterbacks. New England is struggling in all of those areas.

How many starting quarterbacks in this league would you rather have than Matt Cassel? My answer: 29, with San Francisco, Kansas City and Detroit the only three franchises worse off than New England. Some would argue cases could be made that Cleveland, Minnesota, Oakland and Baltimore are just as bad or worse than New England, but I'm not buying it. But still, add them in and at best, only 25 teams in the league have a better starting quarterback than the Patriots. Cassel is showing improvement, but he still has made everyone around him worse rather than better. Far worse.

New England's running game has been good statistically. It is sixth in the league in yards per game and has done it despite having a revolving door at running back. However, eliminate the 257 yards on the ground that New England put on Denver's pillow-soft run defense that allows 5.4 yards per carry and nearly 155 yards per game, the Patriots' rushing attack all of a sudden appears very mediocre. And honestly, which of these ball carriers really keeps opposing defensive coordinators up late at night?

How about the turnover battle? New England is plus-3. OK, that is better than being minus-3, but it also isn't anything to write home about. Because Cassel has been so incredibly timid in releasing the ball deep downfield and the overall conservative nature of this offense, the Patriots are not prone to turnovers and makes plus-3 an underwhelming number.

New England is tied for 17th in the NFL with 14 sacks in seven games. The Patriots' edge pressure has not been up to par with what is needed -- and what they used to get -- from their 3-4 outside linebackers. Of course it hurts that New England has not been playing with massive leads and able just to get after the passer like it did a year ago, but it is -- once again -- very ordinary in this department as well.

Before this two-game winning streak, New England was embarrassed in San Diego. While the Pats edged the 49ers in Week 5, they also had two weeks to prepare for that game. Don't forget before that game, the Patriots were thoroughly abused at home by the Dolphins and their Wildcat running attack. The Patriots' two losses have come against teams with a combined 6-9 record and their wins against teams who are a combined 13-23. It cannot be argued that the Patriots have even faced an upper-echelon team. The Jets and Broncos are the only two teams they have played that currently have a winning record and both are just 4-3. That isn't the slightest bit impressive to me.

Considering the status of the AFC, and with an all-time great head coach in Bill Belichick leading the Tom Brady-less parade, I will concede that the playoffs are not out of the question or that the Patriots could even win a game in the postseason. They are improving and I am sure my power rankings going forward will reflect that. But right now, the Patriots haven't done enough to distinguish themselves from teams like Baltimore, San Diego and Cleveland, the three teams I have immediately ahead of them, or Jacksonville, which I have directly behind them.

Now ask yourself this question: If the Cincinnati Bengals or San Francisco 49ers had the exact same season to date as New England, would you question whether they are presently the 18th best team in the NFL? Exactly.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SeanGar. Show SeanGar's posts

Another Belenus CLASSIC Post, How In The World Can I Top That? Chess (read, "Endgame" reference), Bengal Cat Reference, Patriots... I don't believe in those who try to clothe animals, But Imay have to make an exception for a "My Favorite Team Is The Patriots and ANYONE who beats the jests," Jersey for Kitty.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from txHeat. Show txHeat's posts

1. Don't read or listen to the worthless, uneducated drivel from anyone at ESPN.

2. Said morons are not worth raising your blood pressure.

3. In the end it does not matter what crap is put out by the ESPN losers.

4. It will be much more fun when the Pats cram those comments down their freakin' throats!

5. "Tools" are made to construct things, not to proclaim their expertise which they do not possess.

6. Have a good day!!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from SeanGar. Show SeanGar's posts

Another Belenus CLASSIC Post, How In The World Can I Top That? Chess (read, "Endgame" reference), Bengal Cat Reference, Patriots... I don't believe in those who try to clothe animals, But Imay have to make an exception for a "My Favorite Team Is The Patriots and ANYONE who beats the jests," Jersey for Kitty.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Lets see then, using this power ranker's logic we should compare the Titans and Patriots.

Random Remark about winning teams:

The Titans have yet to beat a team with a winning record when they played, and have beaten ONE team with a 4-3 record the Ravens by a grand total of 3 points in a game they almost should have lost.

Random Remark about rushing attack:
    Subtract the Titans' 332 yard running performance against the KansasCity Cheifs who all almost 200 ypg and are dead last . . . pillow soft . . . and their rushing attack is right in the middle of the pack.

Which running back on the Titans' roster do you theink keeps teams up at night??? Who do they fear?? LenDale White???? Johnson, who agian minus the 168 yard romp against the Cheifs (we can do that you know) isn't very impressive at 458 yards. Essentially the same average as Morris when he has been healthy.

SO lets add to the material using the same rhetorical method:

Lets talk about offensive schedule strength.

Here are the offenses the dreaded Titans' "D" has faced.

11th Texans
    15th Vikings (who fumbled the ball 3 times to seal it for Ten)
    20th Colts
    25th Jaguars
    27th Ravens
    31st Chiefs
    32nd Bengals

OK so one top 15, 2 top 20 . . . and 3 of the bottom FIVE.

OK so the Patriots have played

3rd Chargers
    8th Jets
    12th Broncos
    19th 49ers
    22nd Fins (#10 in total yardage)
    29th Rams
    31st Chiefs

Two top ten, three top fifteen four top twenty, five top 25 and ys the two bottom feeders.

And now lets talk aboit overall strength of schedule:
    Titans opponents have a combined record of 17-33 and the Pats opponents have a combined record of 19-32.

So in almost every category the Patriots have faced tougher competition.

Oh, and Cassel versus Collins????

The last time Collins had an offfense with Randy Moss, LAmont Jordan, and Jerry Porter (Matt has Welker here) his offense averaged 10.3 points per gameand was dead last in the NFL-- #32.

At least Matt has kept this team offense out of the cellar at 16th in total scoring.

Again, thispost isn't meant to knock the Titans who lookvery good . . . it is meant to knock the silly logic . . .there are so many losing and mediocre teams this year . . I don't think one winning team has actually played a schedule against a combined winning record.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

m

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rcasey28. Show rcasey28's posts

Didn't this guy used to be a beat writer for the Dolphins?? And yes, if Cicinnati or San Fran were 5-2, I WOULD question why they were only ranked #18. As for 29 teams having QB's we would want starting instead of Cassel, it's a ridiculous statement. Here are some teams with a worse situation this year:
    1.) Oakland
    2.) Minnesota
    3.) Baltimore
    4.) Tennessee
    5.) San Francisco
    6.) Cincinnati (no Palmer)
    7.) Seattle (no Hassleback)
    8.) St. Louis (Bulger just will not stand in pocket)
    9.) Chicago
    10.) Detroit

This guy is garbage, and so is ESPN...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rcasey28. Show rcasey28's posts

And, as ridiculous as it might have once sounded, I'd rather have Cassel this year as opposed to Favre.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SeanGar. Show SeanGar's posts

To ALL:

First, Excellent stats Zbellino proving that it isn't neccesarilly his "Logic" is it? Second, increadible insertion homeless, something to really muse on for some time... Third, rcasey, yup, Beat Writer for the Dolphins, and when He wasn't doing that He spent like 8 Years working for the Buffalo News. Yea, On his AFC East Weekly Blog He asks Questions like, "Do You think the Jets are a New Team Under Favre," and "Is Bill's Whitner a true Beast in the Secondary," and "Which Loss for the Patriots Do You Guys Think Is More Devastating, The Chargers or The Dolphins?" When Graham writes about the Pat's, say, Harrison getting hurt, He spends about 3/4 of the Article about How Harrison was voted (on ESPN nonetheless) as the "dirtiest player in all of football", "twice," reminding us.... and I'm almost completely positive that It was Graham's Article quoting the "unamed sources" (or forgetting to, as He just said, "according to a Herald Report" making it even more legit)-in the Top ESPN Story about who The Patriot's were unhappy with Brady's surger(y/ies).

Yea this guy's a piece of work.... But Maybe I would be too, IF I happened to look like either "Opie" or The 'Red-Haired BULLY Kid with Braces and Yellow-Teeth that wore a coon-skin cap', the one 'Ralphie' Beats up (24 seperate times on the TNT Network)-on Every Year from "A Christmas Story."

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ShiningWizard. Show ShiningWizard's posts

It's just one guy's opinion on the Pats, which he is entitled to have. Does he appear to have an agenda against them? Yes. I don't agree with it, but then again my opinions on teams like the Colts and Chargers aren't completely objective either.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PHILZONE686. Show PHILZONE686's posts

Cassel = BAD MF

This is classic bias-skewed statistics.

Well.... If you take away everything good they have done - you can clearly see that they are bad.

Great stats comparison against the buzz-saw that has been the undefeated Titans' schedule so far.

Whatever. ESPN is a joke; except Berman who may be a little loony but he has, for the most part, kept it pretty real over the years when it comes to the Pats.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rcasey28. Show rcasey28's posts

[Quote]It's just one guy's opinion on the Pats, which he is entitled to have. Does he appear to have an agenda against them? Yes. I don't agree with it, but then again my opinions on teams like the Colts and Chargers aren't completely objective either.[/Quote]

Maybe, but you also don't write articles for a national sports conglomerate. I agree that Berman is ok and would argue that Ron Jaworski is as goiod as it gets. Other than those guys its a joke.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PHILZONE686. Show PHILZONE686's posts

Good call, I like Jaws too.

He can get a little carried away sometimes - but that is generally across the board with his analysis of all teams and players. He is by and large very fair and honest with his opinions.

Then again, you try sitting next to Hodge and sounding relevant and astute - hats off to you Jaws for resisting the urge to break a chair over that square-headed flake.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ShiningWizard. Show ShiningWizard's posts

[Quote]

Maybe, but you also don't write articles for a national sports conglomerate. I agree that Berman is ok and would argue that Ron Jaworski is as goiod as it gets. Other than those guys its a joke.[/Quote]

This guy isn't a house-hold name in the electronic media, so take it for what it's worth. He's just another wannabe trying to make a name for himself at the expense of the Pats. If this were coming from Peter King or Don Banks I think I lot of folks would take issue with it.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from steelerjim58. Show steelerjim58's posts

What a worthless piece of trash journalism. Doesn't this scum bag know that he is disparaging the greatest football team ever to grace the gridiron. If need be bb could suit up a team of h.s. players and sail into the playoffs. I say drag this fool from his bed in the middle of the night and hang him in the town square. The nerve, not believing the patriots are always the best.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from SeanGar. Show SeanGar's posts

To ALL:

Did Anyone else see when ESPN had, about a Month Ago, RANKED ALL "The Most Successful Franchises", and they had The Patriots at #11 (I believe it was 11)? Now, I know We've had our Down Years, But the overall consensus was that The Rams were better, and Individually (they showed how each person voted rank wise)-some Guys had-(I'm not even kidding here)-Teams like the Browns, The Seahawks, AND The Falcons ahead of US...unreal. I'll try to find the Article...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from SeanGar. Show SeanGar's posts

HERE IT IS ALL:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=nflrankings/1-10/080917

I Honestly don't know IF it's My Love for the "Patriot's Bias" that sets me off here, Thoughts?
    There was a GREAT Part Where It Showed How Each Writer Voted, somewhere on this Link...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from txHeat. Show txHeat's posts

[Quote]To ALL:

Did Anyone else see when ESPN had, about a Month Ago, RANKED ALL "The Most Successful Franchises", and they had The Patriots at #11 (I believe it was 11)? Now, I know We've had our Down Years, But the overall consensus was that The Rams were better, and Individually (they showed how each person voted rank wise)-some Guys had-(I'm not even kidding here)-Teams like the Browns, The Seahawks, AND The Falcons ahead of US...unreal. I'll try to find the Article...
    [/Quote]

Once again I ask...why do you put yourself through the ESPN torture chamber? It serves no purpose. You know their bias, so why sit and watch? Go watch paint dry instead!!!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rcasey28. Show rcasey28's posts

Steelerjim,

As soon as I saw the "steeler" in your name I was preparing myself for the hate. No one in here is arguing they are the best, just that they are probably better than #18. Do you disagree?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

Just like ESPN putting that story on the Rams sending in a tape to the league then throwing a few accusations at the Pats then on Boston Globe the league normally gets tapes from teams on penalites that should be called. 24 of the 28 teams sent in tapes this past week.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from patfan11394. Show patfan11394's posts

uhm, the guy who posted this is an absolute moron and tool, but it wasnt tim graham who wrote the article, it was MATT WILLIAMSON!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Sean,

That is just some bizarre statistical metric that doesn't factor in a lot of things, and probably places too much weight on regular season success.

I mean .. . the Vikings?????

C'mon. How can they have a better power ranking than any team that has won a superbowl in the last 40 YEARS.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SeanGar. Show SeanGar's posts

Patfan, I know it was not Tim Graham, but Graham, decided to put this unheralded piece of journalism onto what is arguably "The Leader in Sport's Journalism's" web-page in order to bash the Patriot's vicariously, considering he probably gets hate-mail by New Englanders by now, His prejudice being that obvious, He can say about this one, "Hey, I didn't Write It.?!" Ya gotta understand Patfan that's it's so important What These Guys decide to put in (whether it be 1 sentence in THEIR Article that "spins" the entire story towards a certain inclination OR An Entire ARTICLE by Some Other Writer that has an obvious impartiality towards a Team or Person).

Wizardsjag! Too Funny, I thought of the EXACT same thing when I saw the Headlined Article about How the "Officials, according to Ram's Player's railroaded their Team last week into a CERTAIN Loss... Again You got it spot on man, an example of half the losing team's Franchises doing this VERY Standard Gesture to the League, BUT If It's Against The Pat's, in the sense that the Officials favored THEM, Oh, That HAS GOT to be not just newsworthy, but FrontPage Material!

zbellino, The Criterion for choosing the Most WINNINGEST FRANCHISES SINCE The 1970 MERGER Were just a tad absurd, huh? I mean, How well a Team did on Monday Night Games in their Opinion carried the same weight as Monday Night Football Appearences/Wins...I mean, might as well base your stats on Where The Team's Shop For Their Clothes? J.Crew? Oh yea...these guys know what it's all about, let's move 'em up a few notches.

txheat, I do this, First So The People that DO Believe EVERYTHING they read as scripture can see that there is ambiguous, rather transluscent at times, ways an Author can Tell a Story of seeming Facts and Turn it into, with the addition of just a simple fact or phrase, or the negation of one, -An Article that fits The Author of It's "worldview" rather than the way things really are in reality... Also, and for a personal reason, I do these things becasue I believe in what Freud said When He glibly stated, "ALL I need in this world is a Trusted Friend AND a Hated Enemy in order to survive." He meant that We ALL NEED someone or something to Despise... Some people have a person at work, or worse, a certain religion/race/creed, BUT for me It's just easier to "hate" something that seems to Hate the Thing that I trully Love, The Pats (also, lol It is MUCH easier and less "sinful" IMO, to hate something intangable, and ambiguous, like ESPN, something that is NOT a TRUE sentient being, something I cannot grasp...like a web-site in cyberspace-yes, I'm aware that this is pretty delusional thinking, BUT I'm irrational when it comes to My Team).

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SeanGar. Show SeanGar's posts

Test

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

How did they let Captain BCS (Bovine Crap Scatologic) out of the salt mine ? The only complaint that this chimp could register is the weakness of the Pats schedule and margin of victory ..Solution: Beatdowns For Every Opponent. Mayo For DROTY !

Sections
Shortcuts