1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALaGatorAL. Show ALaGatorAL's posts

Timlin..u knew it

[Quote]Francona just said in the post game interview the pitch Pena hit for a homerun wasn't a bad pitch. Well, it looked like it was laid right up there for him to hit it out. Denial is a sickness with some people.[/Quote]

The Glass is Never half full with the COMA!! It's his most endearing quality!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

Timlin..u knew it

[Quote]Francona just said in the post game interview the pitch Pena hit for a homerun wasn't a bad pitch. Well, it looked like it was laid right up there for him to hit it out. Denial is a sickness with some people.[/Quote]

Right you are sir! The sad fact is we can expect to hear this kind of jibberish from Terry trying desperately to deny the obvious: Timlin is toxic waste that needs to be jettisoned. I know that sounds harsh and it is, but damn it somebody needs to acknowledge reality when it jumps up and smacks ya in the face. The guy is 42 yrs old. Pitchers RARELY do well after age 40 ( mutant specimens and steroid users only). Decline is a reasonable expectation- why the hell is Terry and Theo ignoring the emperor with no clothes? Be men and do what must be done already!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jkat. Show jkat's posts

Timlin..u knew it

[Quote]

Right you are sir! The sad fact is we can expect to hear this kind of jibberish from Terry trying desperately to deny the obvious: Timlin is toxic waste that needs to be jettisoned. I know that sounds harsh and it is, but damn it somebody needs to acknowledge reality when it jumps up and smacks ya in the face. The guy is 42 yrs old. Pitchers RARELY do well after age 40 ( mutant specimens and steroid users only). Decline is a reasonable expectation- why the hell is Terry and Theo ignoring the emperor with no clothes? Be men and do what must be done already![/Quote]

I just checked - Timlin is apparently Latin for "to blow it"...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from inovermyhead. Show inovermyhead's posts

Timlin..u knew it

[Quote]Watch what he will say after the game. He will say he did'nt pitch bad you watch and see.[/Quote]

Well the locker room uncut was just on and you were right. He said it was a good pitch he threw to Pena and he was surprised he hit a home run. "I threw some good pitches, I just got beat" You could tell he was embarrassed though.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from datruth3412078. Show datruth3412078's posts

Timlin..u knew it

What i dont understand is, why francona took lopez out when he already pitched 2 and 1/3 innings he shoulda let him get the last 2 outs especially with a day off tommorrow. Timlin at one time was money, but hes not that anymore. He pitches with zero confidence, and has no idea where the ball is going. U almost knew when he was pitching to pena he was gonna hit a home run. Its a shame because we blew a big opportunity tonite

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from gibsonsg. Show gibsonsg's posts

Timlin..u knew it

Yeah, it's over for Timlin. Enough already. He was great for years, but too old is too old.

This one hurt- but the silver lining is that our bullpen, aside from Timlin, was solid and held the Rays scoreless for 7 innings. Granted, they did get some stellar defense behind them- a couple of nice plays at first, a caught-stealing by Cash and a sweet diving catch by Ellsbury. But the pen has definitely improved since a couple of months ago, when they looked like the team's biggest liability. They may still be, but overall they're not as shaky as they were. Hopefully they can take something positive from this loss and build on it.

Timlin will take all the blame for this one, but the Sox got outpitched as a team and did not hit in the clutch. They left 16 on base. Bay was 0-for-7, left 7 stranded and looked horrible at the plate with 3 K's. The middle of the lineup was 0-for-23.

Plus, Ellsbury was safe. :-)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 86redsox. Show 86redsox's posts

Timlin..u knew it

lopez CLOWNED pena in the previous at bat i believe.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PSFever. Show PSFever's posts

Timlin..u knew it

Timlin has been worthless and should have been released a long time ago. The thing that is really killing us is Ellsbury in the leadoff spot, Ortiz who is nothing more than average since Manny left and Bay who without a doubt isn't our answer in 09. If these guys don't come around we may have a very different roster next season.

With guys like Vlade, Teixeira, Sabathia and possibly Holliday on the market we need to make a splash.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tiger3659. Show tiger3659's posts

Timlin..u knew it

Why did Francona pinch run for Varitek after he singled with two out in the seventh. I could see if it was the ninth or even the eight. We lost both players for the rest of the game

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mydogskippy. Show mydogskippy's posts

Timlin..u knew it

gee i hope you guys dont have any sharp objects around your house..could get a little bloody there tonite...yeah timlin is done...wakefield not yet.im pretty sure theo and tito see whats goin on...we are 2 games out...we were two games out in 67..with two to play..i was 12.we are gonna win the series this year...you guys need to chill...i went to high school with pudge fisk in nh his sisters were janet and june fisk...two hot babes...lets keep our eye on the ball

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from gareman2. Show gareman2's posts

Timlin..u knew it

Pitching well and getting hit are different than pitching badly and getting hit. It's the same premise if a guy is in a slump but has been hitting the ball on the screws in recent games (but they just aren't falling in).

If Timlin and his catcher say he hit his spot with Pena, I'd take then at their word and tip the cap to Carlos for hitting it the way he did. Some people hit well pitched balls. It takes two to tango and sometimes one person is leading while the other one is the person who gets thrown around. Timlin lost. Someone was bound to be the loser on either side (and it could have been Percival, if he had stayed in).

It is a bit sad, though, to see the end of a good career approach.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from DWIGHTRIGHT. Show DWIGHTRIGHT's posts

Timlin..u knew it

it's easy to blame timlin (he does truly suck) for this loss, but 'coma is the real culprit. this manager?, even for him, set a new high, or is it low?, in managerial incompetence. the list of mistakes he made last night are too numerous to mention.anyways, anyone with any knowledge of baseball doesn't need me to list them. all of you 'coma apologists, please try to defend this guy, who i strongly feel is the worst field manager in the game today. i've said this before, the sox win IN SPITE of 'coma.
    oh yeah, please don't use the "we've won two world series with this guy";
    it's pretty lame. how about "the sox won two world series in spite of this guy." much better.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from DWIGHTRIGHT. Show DWIGHTRIGHT's posts

Timlin..u knew it

[Quote]Why did Francona pinch run for Varitek after he singled with two out in the seventh. I could see if it was the ninth or even the eight. We lost both players for the rest of the game[/Quote]

good question; 'coma doesn't have a clue. you know when a person asks tito about 'small ball' , he thinks they're talking about ping pong.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Scrubbie. Show Scrubbie's posts

Timlin..u knew it

If they were gonna lose ( which was inevitable given they had Ortiz bunting ) they should have put Timlin in during the 9th inning so I could have gotten more sleep........Thanks for the memories Mike, time to retire!!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Scrubbie. Show Scrubbie's posts

Timlin..u knew it

By the Way.........I'm reading that the Sox were pleased with their performance...Did they notice they lost????????

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from gullbeer10. Show gullbeer10's posts

Timlin..u knew it

This game was lost when Pedroia lead off with a double (bottom of 10 or 11, can't remember, doesn't matter) and Terry doesn't bunt him over after they intentionally walk Ortiz. PERIOD. Game never should've got to a point where Timlin could give up a homerun. Sorry, but this one's all on Terry. I don't care if you have Youk up, you gotta have him bunt in that situation. Great job Terry, now the Rays have 2 reasons to believe their own hype. Jackass.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from fhussar. Show fhussar's posts

Timlin..u knew it

when Timlin was shown starting to warm up in the bullpen, I had the "uh-oh" feeling in the pit of my stomach. All of the success the Sox have enjoyed, they couldn't have done it all without Timlin - but - it seems like a simple decision to cut him when he's not producing. They rarely use him, and when he IS called upon, he's not productive. This is not an emotional thing. With all due respect, Timlin has become a liability. It seems as though he's being utilized less and less, until he'll be the last resort, then dropped. Please, with all due respect for a tremendous career......call it a career.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from fhussar. Show fhussar's posts

Timlin..u knew it

The Manager...why didn't Youk bunt Pedroia over to 3rd? Yes, this is your #4 hitter, but this is an extreme situation, and it calls for extreme measures. You're not taking the bat out of his hands, just asking him to sacrifice a runner to 3rd in a tie game with a 2-game swing in the standings hanging in the balance...seems odd to me not to try small-ball when the opportunity presents itself...hindsight is 20/20, but c'mon.......

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BChristenson. Show BChristenson's posts

Timlin..u knew it

I agree that Timlin has had a great carreer. He has given the Sox a great professional in the pen and put up decnt numbers before last year. The fact is that even though he has the heart of a lion and is a true gamer, his stuff just isnt there anymore I'm sad to say. I think he is great for the team but it is time he took a bow and stepped back behind the curtain. We love ya Mikey!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

Timlin..u knew it

There is no way to sugar coat it: TIMLIN SUCKS! ITs over. He should not be used again unless the Sox are 10 behind or 20 ahead. I knew the game was over when he came in last night. Unless he was the only pitcher left (and he wasn't) you can't bring him in there. Francona gave the gave away with that move not to mention:
    1. Not having Youkilis bunt.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from splendidsplinterteddyballgame. Show splendidsplinterteddyballgame's posts

Timlin..u knew it

2. Pinch running for Lowell and then not stealing or bunting. That was a waste. Lowell would have batted three more times.
    3. Not having Varitek bunt with a man on 2nd and no out.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from kt888. Show kt888's posts

Timlin..u knew it

[Quote]The Manager...why didn't Youk bunt Pedroia over to 3rd? Yes, this is your #4 hitter, but this is an extreme situation, and it calls for extreme measures. You're not taking the bat out of his hands, just asking him to sacrifice a runner to 3rd in a tie game with a 2-game swing in the standings hanging in the balance...seems odd to me not to try small-ball when the opportunity presents itself...hindsight is 20/20, but c'mon.......[/Quote]

Timlin is just plain horrible. Put anyone else in but him. In anything that even resembles a close game, he should be used only as a last resort. Pauley, Smith - run them out there instead. Timlin has nothing. He has been in a steady decline over the past 3-4 years. His #'s in 2005 look good on paper but are deceptive due to being one of the worst in MLB history with inherited runners. He needed to be released prior to Tavarez and Snyder. And worse yet, Timlin NEVER seems to take responsibility - states he made a good pitch. Ummm, well, apparently not good enough - gotta keep those pitches down to a guy like Pena....but Timlin is so far gone he doesn't even know this - the stupid expression on his face following the HR was priceless. Everyone in the park and watching from home knew it wasn't just a "pop-up," as Timlin stated. Francona says "Timlin didn't miss" on that pitch. LOL. So he made his perfect pitch and Pena still crushed it to the opposite field. Wonderful. Maybe that should tell us something........no matter how many times Timlin hangs his offense out to dry following a blown game (which he has done in the past) or deflects reponsibility, Francona always has his back. I will be appauled if this guy make the post-season roster (assuming we make the PS).

Anyway, the game should have never got to Timlin, or extra innings for that matter. I don't recall the inning, but it was 1st and 2nd with no out, with Els at the plate, and Becks still in the game. Don and Jerry had just stated his struggles at the plate, yet somehow he is permitted to swing away rather than bunt. This was a key point in the game, especially with Becks on the mound. Els hit into a dp, and Dustin P. did get a clutch hit to score the tying run, however if Els had bunted them over to 2nd and 3rd, Dustin's hit may have scored the go ahead run as well. With Ortiz's power #'s down, and no Manny, the RS need to make adjustments to score runs, and not always look for the big inning especially with a slumping speedster at the plate. A little small ball would have won us the game. Oh-well....

and what was up with Bay? 0-7? I like the guy and am glad we have him for next year as well, but that last AB was nothing less than pathetic. One of the worst AB's I have ever seen (maybe a tie with Tek's bunt attempt the night before). Hopefully our opponents were all in bed asleep by then, because Maddon had him figured out - throw all offspeed stuff, which he clearly couldn't handle.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from cpjohn1. Show cpjohn1's posts

Timlin..u knew it

[Quote]2. Pinch running for Lowell and then not stealing or bunting. That was a waste. Lowell would have batted three more times.
    3. Not having Varitek bunt with a man on 2nd and no out.[/Quote]

I think #3 (5th inning) was the best chance to win the game, when Lowrie hit a lead off double. Tito didn't have Tek (a .225 hitter) bunting. Instead he had him swining away! LOL What made Tito think that a .225 hitter had a better chance at getting a hit than bunting and moving the runner over? The next batter hit a fly ball, moving Lowrie to 3rd, but now with 2 outs. Had Tek bunted and moved Lowrie to 3rd, the next batter would have drove in the winning run by sacrifice fly!

All that being said... Timlin sucks and should have not been signed after 2005. I've been saying since then that he was done.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenwellforpresident. Show greenwellforpresident's posts

Timlin..u knew it

I agree maybe Ellsbury should have bunted because he's a good bunter. But, let's not overdo it. Just yesterday everyone was blaming Terry for asking Tek to bunt, because he's not very good at it (2 sac bunts in last 5 years) now he should have bunted. Worst of all, saying Youk should have bunted is just stupid. Do any of you who said this realize how difficult it is to get a bunt down. More likely than not that would have ended with Youk down 0-2 with nothing to show for it.

Sections
Shortcuts