1. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

TRADE BRADY???

Did someone on this board actually, seriously suggest trading Tom Brady to the JETS, for leon washington and a 2nd round pick? Trading the best quarterback of all time would be stupid, trading him to the Jets would be moronic, and trading him for a 3rd down back and a decent draft pick would be, without question, the worst personnel decision in the history of professional sports.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

TRADE BRADY???

It's a "honeymoon" feeling!

I think that is what is driving this talk more than anything else. Now, ESPN First Take has taken up the topic!

Think of it folks... when Brady went down, a lot of you echoed doom and gloom about who can step in, Cassel or O'Connell. There was even hope TB could return in time for the playoffs, that's how bad it was. Many wanted O'Connell versus Cassel. For the first few weeks, the doom and gloom continued. Cassel was pounded by many here who are now praising him. I recall just a few weeks ago how many here were crying about Cassel's inability to throw the long ball or "touch" pass, having overthrown Moss on many open situations. Now, after two weeks in a row in which Cassel seems to have found "the touch", we are talking trade Brady! Let's see what happens if/when he throws a stinker or two in the remaining 5 weeks. And those stinkers cause the Pats to lose their chances at making the playoffs. That pendulum is now swinging in favor of Cassel (the honeymoon phase) since Brady, being out of sight, not necessarily mind, is an unknown commodity for next season.

How about we give it a year? I can see the points made that many teams will give up a lot to have a Brady on their sidelines and that "a lot" can serve the Pats team extremely well for its future. IMHO, Brady is one of those players whose play has given this franchise the label it could be considered one of the greatest in the company of the Steelers, Cowboys etc. I think he is one of those rare players who is an "untouchable" for trade. He has given back so much to the team to allow it to build what it has now, that to trade him would be a tremendous slap in his face.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from deluxbury. Show deluxbury's posts

TRADE BRADY???

surfinsox: no need to throw insults! Are you a cab driver from NY?

You seem to know it all, so we'll just end it here because you obviously have educated everyone on exactly what will happen.

You are crazy if you think the Pats let Cassel walk out the door without getting something in return for him. That is the sole reason why THEY WILL franchise him, so they can trade him for picks.

Whether they keep or trade Brady/Cassel, the Pats are in excellent positioon to take advantage of this whole situation as they will be able to get some attractive draft picks when they wheel & deal one of them.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from homerj99. Show homerj99's posts

TRADE BRADY???

[Quote]

Texas: Good info and very much on target for this discussion.

I am as big a brady fan as you will find (my dog's name is Brady, my son has a fathead of Brady on his wall, my family all have Brady shirts, etc). That said, I realize that the NFL is a business. If the Patriots feel that locking up Cassel to a long term contract while trading Brady for a wagon-full of draft picks is in the best interest of the team, they will do it in a heart beat! PERIOD! It is very important for Kraft to have a QB that is a good role model for the community and Cassel fits the mold the same way Brady and Bledsoe did for years.

Either way... If the plan is to keep Brady, the Pats are going to get SOMETHING for Cassel. They make shrewd business moves and will NEVER let Cassel walk out the door without getting SOMETHING for him!

Like Jerry Seinfeld suggests: ROOT FOR THE SHIRT![/Quote]

Fools seldom differ.

If anyone here thinks the it would be good "business" to let Tom leave then I've got some magic beans to sell you.
    Matt Cassel is not 1/10th the QB Brady is, he is a backup at best, any team that picks him up as a starter based on this years performance will be blowing their money. Unfortunately we will not make the playoffs this year, actually it's not unfortunate because it will only prove the point how great TB is. Remember what Tom did with no supporting receiving corps, we won SB's. He was given great receivers and he turned in a Hall of Fame Year. Branch, is a nobody without Brady. Brady as it has been said before by all his teammates is the hardest working man on and off the field, first to show up last to leave. Kraft will not let him go, BB would go before TB.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

TRADE BRADY???

Trading Tom Brady would be looked back on as the buiggest mistake in Patriot history but since Belicheck and Kraft are smarter then all of us this will never happen so Im not worried. We should trade Cassel for a few picks but Brady will be given all the chances in the world to take his job back as he should be.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

TRADE BRADY???

Again, never say never.

Brady is the biggest sports hero ever in these parts, on a par with bird, arguably bigger and better BUT, if the right deal is presented why not trade him?

By the right deal, I'm talking a herschel walker deal; 5 proven players, first and second round picks for three years running along with a third and more. Maybe we could get that and more from a QB desparite NFC club like Chicago or the rams.

The beauty of it is, we can make that trade and still have, what certainly seems to be, the best young QB in the game!!! We'd be crazy to not consider offers of this caliber.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1r3d12. Show m1r3d12's posts

TRADE BRADY???

Trade Tom Brady to Notre Dame Charlie needs some help haha

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

TRADE BRADY???

You can say "never say never" till your face turns blue but i will still be right here saying this trade will NEVER happen. I would bet you my entire life savings that Tom Brady finishes his career in NE

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dunnieboy. Show Dunnieboy's posts

TRADE BRADY???

[Quote]

The beauty of it is, we can make that trade and still have, what certainly seems to be, the best young QB in the game!!! We'd be crazy to not consider offers of this caliber.\

[/Quote]

Two words for you here ... Billy and Volek

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from campp. Show campp's posts

TRADE BRADY???

IF again, that`s a big IF...the 49ers were a good club right now that could possibly be a serious SB contender..than MAYBE brady might contemplate the idea of moving back to the bay area and become the saviour by bringing back the old 49er glory. as it looks now, the kind of quality that would require will take another few years...and who will be the coach in SF? the situation would have to be perfect for a brady deal to be made. therefore i just don`t see that happening.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from campp. Show campp's posts

TRADE BRADY???

1st they have to franchise matt..then lets talk about whether or not we should try to keep him in foxboro. the way that cassel is playing he is proving to be the kind of QB that the Steelers wanted from benR when they drafted him.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from dboss. Show dboss's posts

TRADE BRADY???

Almost 4 years ago the Patriots walked off the field after winning the superbowl.

It has been almost 4 years since this team won. The clock is ticking on an aging defense where the ability to impact the game on that side of the ball is questionable.

Therefore it is very approrpiate for fans to discuss the possibility of trading Tom Brady, if there is someone in place who can execute the offense, and if by trading Tom Brady, the franchise can continue to be a contender for the NFL championship.

I have not seen enough of Matt Cassell to honestly say we can live without Brady, however, Matt is obviously a quick study and continues to improve his play in each game.

Certainly if Matt Cassell leads this team into the playoffs and is able to win a game or two then I think the possiblity of trading Brady must be put on the table.

How is it possible that Matt's numbers are as good as Brady's numbers were when he took over for Bledsoe?

Could it be about the system and not so much about the individual player?

This is a plug and play franchise.

dboss

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

TRADE BRADY???

m

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from deluxbury. Show deluxbury's posts

TRADE BRADY???

[Quote]LOL no Iam not a Cab Driver from NY.....

But come on Delux your smart guy,

14 mil if they franchise Cassel, thats 14 mil for 1 year on the back up QB.... now it could go 2 ways, Cassel excepts the Tag and gets his 14 mil or they work out a deal and bring back cassel, but at what price? 8 to 9 mil a season? because he will get 8 - 9 mil as a FA... Like I said only way they Franchise him is if they know by Feb Brady wont be back for 09....

Cassel is in the drivers Seat, not the Pats, Cassel is going to get paid either way, and IMHO it wont be in NE because the Pats have to look at the other needs of the team... like the Defense

ps. sorry for the insults[/Quote]

Surfin: No worries on the insults. I apologize for calling you a NYC cab driver lol!

Yes, that's a lot of money to franchise Cassel but keep in mind, if they do indeed franchise him it will likely be with the intention of trading him - which means they wont be on the hook for the money.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from chanman215. Show chanman215's posts

TRADE BRADY???

Trade Brady then Cassel is injured. Keep both ala Motnana and Young. Admittedly Cassel is a lot more nimble! This whole conversation is making me very nervous!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rabbrandy. Show rabbrandy's posts

TRADE BRADY???

very tough question, its a buisiness and the best thing for the team long term would be to trade him. how much longer will brady play? 3 or 4 years maybe? will he be the player that he was before his knee injury? most likely not. has brady been an active participant in the offseason? not last year. if the patriots were to trade brady they could get 3 first round picks, or something close to that. cassel is becoming a good quarterback, maybe never what brady was but he is good. you don't play like he has by being lucky. he hasn't played as a starter in 8 years and he can only improve more. the problem with the patriots is defense. they need young atheletic guys that can play, they need help everywhere. brady is the best player to ever put on a patriot uniform, it may seem cold to trade him but the nfl is a buisiness the patriots could get multiple 1st round picks for a player who may only play for 3 more years or so.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from deluxbury. Show deluxbury's posts

TRADE BRADY???

[Quote]Delux, but isnt that money already on the books? example: lets just say they do tag Cassel for 14 mil, then sign wilfolk, is there going to be enough money to sign their draft picks or other FAs that could help our Defense?

Iam not sure what the Cap room is for next year but imagine 14 mil would take a chunk and what is the Guarantee that someone will take Cassel for 1 year at 14 mil in a trade??..... [/Quote]

It certainly does get complicated but the Pats dont necessarily have to resign Wilfork before next season as they can always sign him up during the season.

I'm sure they can squeeze Cassel in on the books temporarily until they wheel & deal him - then he would be off the books.

Man, it gives me a headache just thinking about it but I'm certain BB/Pioli have every intention of taking advantage of the situation. You don't develop a QB like this for several years and then let him walk out your door - especially with the franchise tag at your disposal that will allow you to deal him for something in return.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from KrisPatsFan. Show KrisPatsFan's posts

TRADE BRADY???

YOU MORON. Look who Cassel is throwing to vs. how Brady was throwing too.

How is it possible that Matt's numbers are as good as Brady's numbers were when he took over for Bledsoe? Could it be about the system and not so much about the individual player?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from KrisPatsFan. Show KrisPatsFan's posts

TRADE BRADY???

The Pats will franchise Cassel and trade him for a first round draft pick and two third round picks. Then, the $14 million won't hit the Pats salary cap.

Robert Kraft owes Brady the success of his franchise and he knows it. Just look at the interview he gave yesterday about Brady. While Kraft doesn't get in Bill way a lot, he would not allow this to happen. This is not the same case as with Bledsoe in 2001.

And, stop comparing Brady to Cassell. Cassell has already lost as many regular season games this season than Brady lost in the past 2 seasons.

Comparing Brady in 2001 to Cassell this year is crazy. Brady had no weapons. Cassel has a QB dream weapons!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

TRADE BRADY???

Bill Romanowski is saying the pats will trade brady.he is saying this on his radio show,but he is also part of fox.i know the pats have done things to make us scratch our heads,but I just cant see them tradeing brady.I wouldnt know how to react if they did.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from JAR59. Show JAR59's posts

TRADE BRADY???

Brady for Mc Nabb, straight up. And the Eagles will throw in Andy Reid as well, just to get him out of town.

Remember, you heard JAR say it first.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from homerj99. Show homerj99's posts

TRADE BRADY???

[Quote]

Brady isnt going any where, you dont trade a HOF QB in his prime to keep a very good back up QB... Iam not taking anything away from Cassel he has done a great job up till now but he is NO Tom Brady, not even in the same league! If you honestly think so then you need to put down the bottle and get some help! Iam sure there are AA meetings in your local area....

[/Quote]

Well said. Bill Romanowski can say he dates hot chicks but just because he says it doesn't make it true.... the facts are these.... Cassel is a good backup, had 2 great weeks, PATS won't make the playoffs, Cassel will NOT be franchised and Brady will be back on top and next season all you dingdongs will act as if you never ever contemplated a Brady trade. Jesus just think about what you are saying ...trade Brady, there would be a riot by the actual fans at Gillette, season ticket sales would plummet, PATS without Brady would be like Indy without Jughead.....
    Just think of how rediculous that statement is... no matter, it WONT HAPPEN...EVER

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

TRADE BRADY???

[Quote]The Pats will franchise Cassel and trade him for a first round draft pick and two third round picks. Then, the $14 million won't hit the Pats salary cap.

Robert Kraft owes Brady the success of his franchise and he knows it. Just look at the interview he gave yesterday about Brady. While Kraft doesn't get in Bill way a lot, he would not allow this to happen. This is not the same case as with Bledsoe in 2001.

And, stop comparing Brady to Cassell. Cassell has already lost as many regular season games this season than Brady lost in the past 2 seasons.

Comparing Brady in 2001 to Cassell this year is crazy. Brady had no weapons. Cassel has a QB dream weapons![/Quote]no cassel isnt brady,but you can compare there first seasons.other then moss,and welker our offense is no greater then 2001.
    antwan smith-287-1,290yrds rushing-12td,s
    david patten-51rec-816yrds-5tds
    troy brown-101rec-1,290yrds-5tds
    these are pretty good stats for under rated players.I agree there is no compareing cassel to brady,but you can compare there stats in there first year starting.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mungomunro. Show Mungomunro's posts

TRADE BRADY???

So long as Cassel continues to improve I think the Pats would trade a healthy Brady under and one of three scenarios.

First scenario could be a block buster deal that includes multiple 2nd and 3rd round draft picks plus a proven probowl type O-linemen of the type BB likes.

Second scenario is if Brady has let on to BB that he no longer wants to play in NE.

Third is if Brady wants a contact extention with terms that exceed BB and Piolis preception of his value to the team.

Personaly I think Brady will be our QB untill his skills start to deminish (3-6 years?)and then he will be traded to some last place team looking for star power to fill the stadium.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dboss. Show dboss's posts

TRADE BRADY???

[Quote]Pats franchise Cassel, no doubt. Then they trade him to the Vikes, Lions, Bucs, etc. Hopefully get a number one, but more likely a number two and conditional future. Then they can trade their own number one to Oakland for Nsmndi Oshumghdksncdn.

One can dream.[/Quote]

That's right we have not won in almost 4 years. Even a dummy knows that. And guess what else, we lost last year the same way we won, a play here and a play there.

The defense could not stop the G-Men when it counted. And that high powered offense with Brady at the helm could not score enough point to beat the Giants.

The notion that fans should not even discuss trading Brady is ridiculous, "after all we are not communists"

And I am not saying we should trade Brady. But this is a good situation to be in. The BU QB is starting to mirror the play of the starting QB. I hope that Cassell plays great the rest of the season abd then a decision can be made and it will include a lot of possibilities. Maybe Cassell gets franchised and then traded as some have suggested. Maybe Brady's knee is shot and he will not be ready to play next year.

dboss

Sections
Shortcuts