1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonDotCom. Show BostonDotCom's posts

Traveling to see the Sox

Augmented by expatriate New Englanders and those who tag along on road trips, Boston fans are packing distant Major League Baseball stadiums so often and in such numbers that they've turned the Red Sox into the de facto home team.

Have you traveled to see the Sox play in another city? Share your experiences.

Today's Globe story

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soulman. Show Soulman's posts

Traveling to see the Sox

I saw the Sox play the Yankees in the Bronx in 1993...quite an experience on many levels. The rivalry was in a different phase at that time compared to the extreme point it is at now. Hoping to plan a trip somewhere to see a road game in the near future.

I've also had the god fortune of seeing the Pats in Arizona against the Cardinals in 2004 (at least 50-75 % of the fans that showed up were Pats fans) on Pat Tillman Day, and also the Celtics in Phoenix in 1984. It's a different experience cheering for your "home team" in enemy territory, but it is more fun when they win.

The Sox lost their game - when an idiot Yankees fan ran on the field during what should have been the final out - then the Yankees put together a bunch of hits and ended up winning. The Pats and Celtics won their games

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bceagle90. Show bceagle90's posts

Traveling to see the Sox

Pittsburgh is part of my sales territory and I scheduled a trip to see clients when they played the Pirates in inter-league play back in June 2003.

The Pirates average a pathetic home attendance mark because they're so bad (give or take 15,000 to 18,000 on average per game) but when the Sox were in town they must have averaged close to 30,000 for each game. (PNC Park holds about 38,000)

By the way, after seeing how awesome PNC Park is it convinced me that Fenway, despite all it's history and traditions, HAS TO GO!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from chausettesrouges. Show chausettesrouges's posts

Traveling to see the Sox

Absolutely. I can't get tickets to Fenway, so it's the best thing to do. I have gone to Camden Yards, Kansas City and Chicago to see the Red Sox. It's wonderful, because these stadiums--and their fans--are hospitable to Red Sox fans, in my opinion (although one woman in Baltimore told me that we were "insulting her" for coming to "her house" to root against her team).

When I was in Chicago last year, I had people from all over the country, including California, New Mexico, Washington, DC, and Florida, approach me in my Red Sox gear and tell me that they used to live in places like Pittsfield, Attleboro, etc., but their jobs sent them far afield from Fenway. They too travel to see the Sox and friendly faces. Once person told me that he can't wait to go to a few Sox games every year to hear "that Boston accent--it's music to my ears," he said.

In Kansas City, you can get a box seat ten rows from the field on the day of the game! And it's a beautiful place.

Fenway is still my favorite, but if I can't get tickets there (I only was abe to get tickets for one game this year--September 10 against the Devil Rays--can't wait, hope it doesn't rain!), I'll travel any day.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from chausettesrouges. Show chausettesrouges's posts

Traveling to see the Sox

By the way, if you go to Kansas City, make sure that you go to the Negro Leagues Museum! It's one of the best values in the world--$10 to see BOTH the Negro Leagues Museum AND the Jazz Museum (they're located in the same building in KC). The NLM has some fascinating exhibitions, and I learned a lot when I was there. Very interesting stuff...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dawint. Show dawint's posts

Traveling to see the Sox

We saw them in Oakland this past June on my daughter's 2nd birthday. Tickets were $30 and we were right on the first base line 3 rows back. There were a lot of Sox fans too ....... it was real easy to get to and had no problems.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pmw1265. Show pmw1265's posts

Traveling to see the Sox

was up in Seattle earlier this month, and a swarm of redsox jersey's and hats. they outnumbered Seattle fans greatly.

But not the same in Cleveland, and some of those fans are resentful of the redsox nation intrusion.

But Tb is the best, no concession lines on the upper levels,no waiting in the bathroom, so you don't miss game time ,a/c , cheap tix, free parking, or just $5.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from elw408. Show elw408's posts

Traveling to see the Sox

I have seen the Sox play in Cleveland, Toronto and Oakland. Tons of fun, but there's just something about Fenway! I would love to go to Camden Yard though...that park just looks amazing!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dd24. Show dd24's posts

Traveling to see the Sox

We went to see the Sox in Philadelphia ('05) & in Toronto in April. We had to buy tickets from Stub Hub for the Phillies game, but they were still WAY cheaper than those at Fenway Park. Toronto tickets were also easy to come by & very inexpensive for great seats (even though they raise prices for "premier games"). The games were great, and we enjoyed visiting both cities.

It is sad, though, that it is impossible to get tickets to Fenway to see our home team. Unless you don't mind overpaying or know someone, you simply can't get in. They were selling standing room only tickets to the Sox-Angels on Stub Hub for $100! I think we'll try to squeeze in a Sox road trip each year to see them play in person, otherwise we'll have to stick to the Spinners & Paw Sox.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from gailbn. Show gailbn's posts

Traveling to see the Sox

Last summer, my job took me to Southern CA and I arranged to stay for a few extra days to see the Sox play in Anaheim. My husband joined me after my business trip was complete. His ticket was paid for with credit card miles. We bought tix ahead of time for the game at $13.00 each. That's not a misprint: Thirteen bucks a piece for an upper deck seat on the left field line. The Sox lost.

The next day we walked up to the box office and purchased box seats for $50.00/each. Pricer, but these were the fancy seats where you have waiter service, on the first base line in the second deck about 10 rows back. I don't even want to think what these seats would cost in Fenway. The Sox won. With work/credit card paying for the airline tix and my work subsidizing the hotel, it was cheaper (and EASIER) to go to CA than to buy tickets at Fenway.

Anaheim Stadium is beautiful (I didn't see any rats :) However, the amount of "show" between innings was unbelievable. Like a minor league game. My husband still gushes about the chicks they had shooting T-shirts into the crowd. I think they were called the Angel Strike Force Squad or something silly like that.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from donnelly56. Show donnelly56's posts

Traveling to see the Sox

Over the last 5 years or so I have travelled to Texas, Kansas City, Baltimore (several times), Cleveland and Chicago to see the Sox. Living in Fort Lauderdale, Florida I find it easier to go to road games then to Fenway and for most of these parks you do not need to buy a ticket in advance. My favorite road park is Camden Yards but Jacob Field is close behind.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from murphcc1. Show murphcc1's posts

Traveling to see the Sox

I've seen the Sox play at Camden Yahds twice. The first time I was there, it felt like Fenway. ALL Sox fans. I also have been traveling to see the Patriots. The last three years the wife and I have been to Pittsburgh, Miami, and Buffalo. It's the best way to see your team. And show your support while they are on the road. I am sure they love to see us! Tom Brady even waved to the wife when we were in Buffalo. GREAT experience for anyone. Too bad we can't see our teams at home. TOO expensive!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from srl1215. Show srl1215's posts

Traveling to see the Sox

My wife and I drove out to Cleveland this year for a game. The drive is about 12 hours from our home in Ashby Ma. I bought tix on eBay, 2 row back behind home plate for $100 each. Those seats at Fenway would cost at least double that.

We stayed at a downtown hotel, the park is right there within walking distance and I used my corporate frequent stayer points to pay for the hotel room. We visited the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame on day and then also tried to go to a photography exhibit at Case Western Univ. but it wasn't open so we went to their botanical gardens instead.

It was a great long weekend. The drive out and back wasn't bad at all. There were tons of Red-Sox fans and although the locals are proud of their Indians this year they were gracious and good natured about all the "B" hats everyplace.

It was a great time and I didn't feel bad about paying big money for the tickets as they were the best seats in the house. We were right next to Mr. and Mrs Lester for his first game back.

We won the game 6-2. Lester got the win.

We also enjoyed the House of Blues and Hard-Rock in the center of town and had breakfast Sunday morning at the Ritz one day, (which I think is where the Sox were staying but they wouldn't tell us.)

Next year we will try Toronto or Baltimore.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from goodsport. Show goodsport's posts

Traveling to see the Sox

Check out the USA today article regading the Sox. They are now the "top" drawing baseball team on the road exceeding and "replacing" the Yankees!

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/al/redsox/2007-08-22-Roadattendance_N.htm

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from jwildman68. Show jwildman68's posts

Traveling to see the Sox

Last year I was in Seattle and saw the Sox play. I know I will catch a lot grief for this but, it was nice to sit in a comfortable seat, pay reasonable prices and park for less than $10. Fenway Park is uncomfortable, too crowded and overpriced. I was all for knocking it down and building a world class stadium with parking, more seats and access (and of course they could have brought along the green monster for old times sake).

Seattle's stadium was laid our just right and sort of reminded me of Gillette with a Concourse all the way around with one aisle leading down versus "cross aisles" where people walk around all game like Fenway. They actually have ushers who hold signs that ask you not to return to your seat until the batter has finished. Yeah-that would go over big at Fenway--LOL

There were some obnoxious Seattle fans razzing the Sox fans in the crowd. There was also "an answer man" riding around the concourse on a segway--weird. When I approached him to ask what this was all about, his only reply was, WOW- a sox fan with a beer in his hand, now there is a rarity! (a little sarcastic)

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from tun2000. Show tun2000's posts

Traveling to see the Sox

Living in Atlanta, I get to see them at least 3 times a year. Thanks for interleague play, but I have seen them in Baltimore, KC, Anahiem. Also try and see the Pats play yearly, will be seeing them in Charlotte tomorrow.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from chausettesrouges. Show chausettesrouges's posts

Traveling to see the Sox

COme out to Troy, NY, to see the Spinners play the Valley Cats at "The Joe," a great stadium! It's only about 35 miles from Pittsfield, and it"s $8.00 for a box seat! You can buy tickets on line as well and print your tickets. It's a little hokey with the stuff they do between innings, but it's also a lot of fun--great deal for the money--and you get to see the minor leaguers on their way up. I saw Papelbon's brother there last year, also Koby Clemens (with the dreaded Roger-dad in the boxes watching) playing third base for the Valley Cats. Hunter Pence, who's with the Astros, started in Troy a couple of years back, as did Ben Zobrist, who's with Tampa Bay. It's great baseball!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from asseedan. Show asseedan's posts

Traveling to see the Sox

Traveled, no, but I am a born-and-raised Boston and Sox/Pats/B's fan living right outside St Louis.

I went to 2 of the 3 games that the Sox played here in 2005 after they won the World Series, the last season of the Old Busch Stadium. Cardinals won both games.

St Louis fans are interesting, widely regarded as the most knowledgeable in Baseball which seems correct. And pretty classy too, they appreciate good players and good teams no matter where they play. However, Boston is the exception nowadays. There is a decidedly Anti-Boston bias here now, seeing as the Ram got beat by the Pats in SB XXXVI, the Bruins and Bobby Orr beating the Blues in '70 and Sox in '04. Some of that has eased since the Cards won last year, but the 2 games I went to in '05, there was a REAL bitterness in many fans, they were cursing and insulting the Sox as if we were in the Bronx!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from defenderchief. Show defenderchief's posts

Traveling to see the Sox

Grew up in the Boston area but live in Boise, Idaho now. I have traveled up to Seattle the past three seasons and also made it down to PHX this past June.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from nannijr. Show nannijr's posts

Traveling to see the Sox

I was lucky enough to be at the Cleveland game this year when Jon Lester made his comeback. It was awesome I swear there were more Red Sox fans at the Jake than there were Cleveland Fans.

I

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mwilla01. Show mwilla01's posts

Traveling to see the Sox

I moved from New England to North Carolina in the Great Money Magazine Migration of '94, and I try to catch the Sox anytime they play in Baltimore or Atlanta. I think the most memorable trip was to Baltimore in 2001, the last weekend of the season. It was Cal Ripken's final series, and less than a month after 9/11. In between games we went to DC - you couldn't get anywhere near the White House or the Washington Monument, and we drove past the Pentagon and saw the black hole in the side. We got to see Cal Ripken say goodbye, and got commerative towels and a bobblehead, although the head fell off not long after...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bceagle90. Show bceagle90's posts

Traveling to see the Sox

Check out the USA today article regading the Sox. They are now the "top" drawing baseball team on the road exceeding and "replacing" the Yankees!

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/al/redsox/2007-08-22-Roadattendance_N.htm

Nice article. Of course all the people writing negative comments on the USA Today website in response to the article are Yankees fans....shocker

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from rory05. Show rory05's posts

Traveling to see the Sox

I went to Philly last year and made a weekend of it, it was so much fun going to a new ballpark, seeing the sox and taking in a new city that we decided to go to Chicago for the weekend this year and do the same. If you love baseball, and the red sox, it's a great excuse to get away and have some fun. Let's go sox in chicago this weekend !!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from chiieddy74. Show chiieddy74's posts

Traveling to see the Sox

On 9/24/2007, my (now) fiance proposed to me on top of the CN Tower in Toronto and we then went to watch the Sox play! :-)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mmleblanc. Show mmleblanc's posts

Traveling to see the Sox

My wife and I saw the Sox play the White Sox at U.S. Cellular in '05. We had nosebleed seats, so you had a pretty good view of most of the seats in the stadium; Lots were occupied with fans wearing Red Sox jerseys.

Wake was pitching that day. He struck someone out (I don't remember who), and the Boston fans went nuts. A White Sox fan in the row ahead of us turned around and said "Where do you guys come from?!"

That's when I knew Red Sox fans had become The Nation.