1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dbrushaber. Show dbrushaber's posts

Troubling trends for Santana

First off, I think the Sox were right not to trade for Santana.Second, Olney's stats don't take into account that Santana's not a great 1st-half pitcher.� Trust me, I live in Minnesota and that's all the fans here talked about when discussing Cy Youngs mid-season.� He might have peaked a year or two back, but his full-year 2008 numbers will come back into line with his historical numbers.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from phatbenny. Show phatbenny's posts

I tend to agree that he will come around.� The other big change is going from friendly minnesota, with its dome, homer hankies, people just happy they survived the winter, cheese curds, howensteins, mosquitoes . . . . from that to new york city, with all the expectations, the big money pressure.� I've been to several games at the Metrodome and it can be so quiet and peaceful in there.� And people just kind of clap when things go well, and they get quiet when things don't go well.� Way different from Fenway park.� And I'm guessing way different from Shea Stadium.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from nickarcese. Show nickarcese's posts

His strikeouts per 9 innings and walks vs. SO should have both improved in the NL with facing the pitcher and the 8 hole in front of the pitcher.� I watched the inning last night where he gave back the lead and he was not unmerciful on hitters�as I remember.He is 29 yrs. old with "high" mileage, but we should reserve judgement until the weather warms up.� Perhaps another B ZitoHowever, I'm not certain not �having him in the two hole behind Josh B. will not hurt us in the playoffs.� After watching the base on ball parade with DiceK, we cannot match up to the Indians or AZ if we advance into and deep into the playoffs.�

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from kannaman. Show kannaman's posts

I also think he is in decline, 3 years ago he was the best lefty in the game, no question. Last year he didn't look right, especially the last 6 weeks of the season and he wasn't throwing that slider so I was concerned he was damaged goods. The Twins tried real hard to get a bidding war between the Yanks, Mets and Sox and I think both offers from the Sox or Yanks were better than what they settled on but we won't really know until the Mets kids develop. Minnesota has a good track record for scouting and developing players so they probably will come out OK. I think the Mets have an albatross that will hamstring them, 6 year contracts for pitchers are a very dicey investment.�I think the Yankee kids are going to be good, Hughes was very impressive at times last year, once healthy I think he is the real deal. Kennedy pitched the way he was supposed to last night, maybe he will get his confidence back.� I think the Yanks have bottomed out, they are too good to play bad all season, the Mets though are a mess, looks like it's going to be a long summer in Met land.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from esruc04. Show esruc04's posts

Interesting post Vic because if the changeup is his bread and butter then his stats shouldn't have fallen off that far since the speed of his fastball seems to be falling in step with the speed of his changeup. In fact, the stats may show that he will be fine.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from chazz1. Show chazz1's posts

Has anyone looked a Santana's numbers ?

He would be at the top of the Yankee  rotation . With the problems that Kennedy and Hughes have had it is becoming clear that the non trade might have cost them a last chance for a WC title in the 'Old Stadium"

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

I think the NYMs had no choice but to trade for Santana.  With a new stadium, and shaky attendance, they absolutely need to make the playoffs.  The RS absolutely didn't need him.  The guys they kept will win almost as many, and the $22M is the equivalent of not having Manny anymore.  For the NYY, I' still an agnostic.  For the other 29 teams, paying a top FA salary AND sending prospects makes no sense.  For the NYY, who couldn't care less about the $22M, it would make them a much larger favorite than they are now.