1. You have chosen to ignore posts from darwk. Show darwk's posts

Troy Brown discussion

Don't like the news that the Pats will not be offering Troy a contract this year. I'd like to see him for one more year. Wherever he would fit in a game plan, as a role player, at defensive back-� he's shown he can do it all. Troy worked hard to come back after his knee surgery, and if he thinks he can play, then I think he should play. I can only see him in a Pats uniform. Would like to see him go out and retire on a high note.�He is a high note for the team.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Troy Brown discussion

Sane guy..Made some good points.� Most fans are having their heart strings being pulled on this move by the Pats.� The bigger picture must be viewed.� Do the Pats need to spend $$$ on a part time player for those few plays to be used or on a player that can contribute to the team not only this season but in the future.� The Pats need to develop the bench.� It is always tough to part with a long time vet.� Why not have Brown come back as a coach?� But, Brown the "player" may think he still has legs to be a player.� Professional athletes have the�most difficulty in accepting�their time is up.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from darwk. Show darwk's posts

Troy Brown discussion

�LazarusintheSanatorium�:� I know your opinion is�shared by more than a few Pats fans that admire who Troy is and what he has contributed to the team. My opinion is I don't see Troy as taking away anything from what the Pats can do, if he does/could remain a player.� I believe Troy when he says he can play.� Do you know any other Pats players (or any other NFL players)�that can play the no.�of positions he can, with the versatility he has? (not to mention just football smarts)That muffed punt is not a reflection of Troy's abilities. And you know everyone "misses" a play. I can think of a dozen with much younger PATS�players off the top of my head. (including that horrible SB loss) But the fact that Troy wasn't played at all except in that game(and then limited)�didn't give him the opportunity to contribute the way he knows we can.� I ant to see him go out in the way he wants to go out.I would hate to see him suit up anyplace else. He will always be Mr. Patriot.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from nykrb. Show nykrb's posts

Troy Brown discussion

I can't believe they re-upped Bruschi for two more years, I really thought he'd retire, he's definitely a step slower, and not at all the tackler he was 5 years ago.

Never mind Brown, he's a great guy but he's all done, its over, its a young mans game, and when you start to slow down the game passes you by.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikem235. Show mikem235's posts

Troy Brown discussion

I know NFL teams rarely retire numbers, because there are rarely enough numbers (especially in the 80s) to go around.� But I think fans should demand that nobody wear #80 this year unless it's Troy.� I'd say nobody wears it for 5 years.� Not sure if there is any kind of precedent for it.� But if Troy is done, I want to seem him put in his own category.� Immediate induction into the Patriots hall of fame.� Ceremony at half time of the first home game of the season.� Elected Governor of Massachussets in 2012.� Okay, maybe I've gone too far with the last one.� Maybe just Governor of one of the smaller states, like Rhode Island.�

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from darwk. Show darwk's posts

Troy Brown discussion

Well Laz:� I hear you, but I'm feeling stubborn on this one. I believe Troy deserves the roster spot if he believes he can play. I believe he can only help the team, not hurt them. I believe the Pats have time to bring on some more young studs. I believe Troy STILL is a STUD. I guess one could say I believe in Troy!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikem235. Show mikem235's posts

Troy Brown discussion

I'd like to see him suit up for another year -- but only if he's going to play every week.� I'd rather just remember him as he was instead of as a guy who doesn't get onto the field.� I loved that the Pats kept him on the roster last year -- but then he never played.� I'd hate to think that the Pats could lose a close game that they would have a better chance of winning with another guy.� Playing the guy that gives them the best chance to win is the Patriot Way, and as the ultimate Patriot, Troy Brown will accept that.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from SA1811. Show SA1811's posts

Troy Brown discussion

I know some will think I'm being too sentimental or don't know much about football, but I do and I know how the system works and that it's a business and all... but why not at least offer him the veteran's minimum without any guarantees and let him try to earn the roster spot?� Is that too much to ask after everything Troy Brown has done for the New England Patriots?� This guy has literally done every single thing this team has asked of him, and shined time and again.� Three years ago they cut him when he was slated to make a big payout, and then he re-signed a week later for the league minimum, and now the Pat's won't afford him the dignity of one last chance to play?Some people are saying Troy Brown is done, but last season he was coming back from injury, and shouldn't be weighed as heavily as some people seem to be saying.� Keep in mind we are only 1 post-season removed from Troy Brown pulling the entire season out of the ashes and stripping the ball after Brady's INT in San Diego in the Divisional Round.� And now you say he brings absolutely nothing to the table??Remember the time he lateralled to Antoine Harris on the blocked FG in the AFC Championship game?� He's the smartest, wilyest�player out on the field; he never relied on being the best pure athlete out there.I love Troy Brown.� He, more than anyone else (even Brady) symbolizes everything great about the Patriots and the last decade wouldnt have been the same without him.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from spider2510. Show spider2510's posts

Troy Brown discussion

Yes, it is sad to see "Mr. Patriot" go.� I think if he is healthy and still has the legs he had two years ago he would help the team at receiver ( maybe as a nickel back) and on special teams.�� I think Welker is good, but, when it gets cold he starts dropping balls.� Actually, I felt that way about every receiver except Gaffney.� Brown can play outside and the slot.� Better in the slot, I thought the Pats should have had Brown and Welker in the slot for some formations.� The hoddie is great but, face facts in the playoffs the last two years the Pats have been outcoached by�Tony Dummy and Coughlin.� Therefore, keep Brown unless he is bangged up and we don't know about it.�

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from SA1811. Show SA1811's posts

Troy Brown discussion

And you know what?� The more I think about it, screw conventional wisdom--the Patriot's friggin owe it to this guy to AT LEAST give him a chance.� I'm just saying that because I'm overly sentimental about this, I'm saying it because a guy like Troy Brown comes around once every 30 years for a franchise, and you don't just leave guys like that out in the cold because of a friggin roster spot for some no name rookie who has a 0% chance of making an impact, let alone a Troy Brown-size impact (figurative Troy Brown-size, not actual Troy Brown-size).� They owe this to Brown like the Bruins owed it to Bourque to trade him to the Avalanche solely to get a ring (and how whoever the Colorado coach was owed it to him to leave him out there for like the last five shifts of the final game).� Every now and then, and it's pretty rare that this is the case, you have to say "f**k conventional wisdom" and do the right thing.� I listed two in my last post, but as I've been thinking about it there are just so damn many plays that Troy Brown has made that no one else could have.� This isn't a case of the Niners letting Joe Montana walk because they had Steve Young--this is so we can sign some no name rookie�tight end who will get cut by week 3 anyway.� It's is literally not too much to ask, to demand, that the Pats bring Troy back and let him retire as�a Patriot.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from darwk. Show darwk's posts

Troy Brown discussion

ConorMoran44; I'm as po'd as you. I think it's an insult -on top of the injury- that the Pats don't offer him a spot on the roster. Troy is a play-maker!This just in the last 2 games 2006 that definitely kept the Pats in the hunt.Against the Chargers-Following a Tom Brady interception, stripped Marlon McCree of the football allowing Reche Caldwell to recover the loose ball and give the Patriots possession at the San Diego 32-yard line in the fourth quarter.�� against the Colts-at Indianapolis (1/21): Played in a reserve role at wide receiver ... Snared two receptions for 32 yards ... Returned three punts for 39 yards ... Kept the Patriots' second touchdown drive alive with a 27-yard reception over the middle on fourth-and-six in the second quarter ... Returned a fourth-quarter punt 16 yards to the Patriots' 40-yard line.
    He sees the field just as well if not better then the other TB. Bring him back- ONE more year.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

Troy Brown discussion

I love the guy but it was time. Last year we lost a good young DL�backup (kareem Brown) to the Jets just to activate Troy. I wish him the best and would love to see him on the sideline, maybe working with the dbacks.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ricomandog. Show ricomandog's posts

Troy Brown discussion

Troy needs to know when to call it quits. BB and Kraft paid him to hang around last year and I'm sure they would use him as an assist receiver coach or something, but they can't keep paying him for ever. Plus it does count agianst the cap and roster. It's just not what's best for the team.

We loved you Troy, best of luck.. BINGO

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from darwk. Show darwk's posts

Troy Brown discussion

Patsfanssince1966: Troy didn't play last season�because he was recovering from knee surgery. Do we know the extent of the knee surgery?� I don't. Do you? From what I'm reading, it looks like he does think he can play in 16 plus games. Haven't spoke to him directly lately, but did have the pleasure of speaking to him in the off season last year. He's not going to tell you something that isn't so.That's why I'm saying, say it isn't so! About the Pats not wanting him back. I think that's a mistake.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ruggie23. Show ruggie23's posts

Troy Brown discussion

Personally i don't believe in retiring any number whether it be Troy Brown or Tom Brady.....its just a number.....the player will always be remembered for their greatness whether someone else wheres the number or not.....its kind of a goofy tradition!!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 347pg. Show 347pg's posts

Troy Brown discussion

Is it possible that Troy could show up for training camp without a contract and compete for a slot anyway?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from darwk. Show darwk's posts

Troy Brown discussion

347: Troy might be able to do that. He's had to earn his spot and positon or should I see positions before. Don't know if he will though. He may shop himself around, because he�has "been there, done that." Honestly I don't see what the big deal would be to just sign him.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from krismk. Show krismk's posts

Troy Brown discussion

I�will refer, again, to Bill Simmon's analogy in the San Diego playoff game 2 years ago.�Troy Brown�is like an old and faithful guard dog, that saves the house from being burglarized, again, even as his "send-off to the rainbow bridge" is discussedGive�our faithful hound a�chance to romp with the pups for as long as he wants, Mr. Kraft, then a warm place by the fire under the mantle of awards, trophys and accolades.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bchan89. Show bchan89's posts

Troy Brown discussion

patsfan,not to many fans that use this site know who stanley morgan is and how great he was, and how many superbowl teams did stanley play for? troy has played on five super bowl teams� and has been part of �the greatest years of this franchise

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from darwk. Show darwk's posts

Troy Brown discussion

Krismk:� It's too soon to not take Troy up on his ability to play. He'd be a key player in adding another trophy and ring to the Kraft dynasty. Troy is everything Kraft claims the team is and more.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from darwk. Show darwk's posts

Troy Brown discussion

Eason11:

"What can you say about a guy who refuses to sign with a team that plays the Pats next year.If that doesn't tell you about the guy nothing will"

You can count the players on one hand who have the same loyalty to team as Troy. You are correct that speals vlumes in itself.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from krismk. Show krismk's posts

Troy Brown discussion

If i have to hold on to one Pat's veteran, give me Troy Brown...for myth making, he's the franchise's Janus.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from darwk. Show darwk's posts

Troy Brown discussion

53Men: Well you may be right about t the Pats do as far as Troy's playing time with� them, but I think he still has the goods to contribute. If he wants to play, I also think he would get offers from other teams. He's looking at a year more.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from darwk. Show darwk's posts

Troy Brown discussion

SRMA: I absolutely agree with you that Belichick was outcoached in superbowl. I also agree that Troy would have provided a spark that was missing. Was a mistake, as I think it would be a mistake not to play him this coming year, if he�knows he can play. And it appears he does.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from darwk. Show darwk's posts

Troy Brown discussion

TexasPat: I agree that every player reaches the end of the line, but I don't think Troy's reached his yet. I do think he would contribute to another winning season, and yes hopefully dare I say a superbowl win. Las Vegas is sayiing it already, so no reason to think it won't be done.

Troy and Tedy both still "have" it. Tedy just got a 2 yr contract, all Troy wants is another year. They are both the soul of the Pats.

Sections
Shortcuts