1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gravelten4. Show Gravelten4's posts

Two top ten MVP candidates on sox...not one.

Its my opinion that when the season ends we will have witnessed two performances that will warrant MVP conversation. I believe that when the final gun sounds Kevin Youkilis will have numbers that look a bit like this: .315 30 HRs 110 RBI 45 doubles OBP .385 slugging% .570 300+ Total bases and win his 2nd Gold Glove.(.995 % @ 1st)

In addition, the real real real dark horse is Dustin pedrioa. Of course he will never win it but I can see him sneaking in the top ten if he lands near these final numbers: .318 17HR's, 50 doubles, 80RBI's, 115 runs scored, 203 hits, 15 SB, .365 OBP, .480 slugging % 300+ Total bases and played .992 in the field at a pivotal position.

One could argue that Pedrioa may end up with a better all around season then Youk minus the power. Pedrioa has just seemed to be so consistent that he has quietly accumulated some very impressive (potential) final numbers.

Time, of course, will be the truth sayer...but its fun to look at.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from nickarcese. Show nickarcese's posts

Concurr

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from gickchum. Show gickchum's posts

Pedroia for MVP?

LOLOL

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from valeriesass. Show valeriesass's posts

Pedroia is having the best all around season --afield-at bat-on the bases --of any Red Sox 2b since Bobby Doerr. He hardly has to sneak into the top ten of the MVP vote. He does not have the power stats to go top 5 but if Sox pass TB & he is big in September he will get some deserved MVP props.
    Can any one point out anything that Dustin Pedroia has done wrong on the ball field in the past two years?

The kid is Mighty Mouse in my book.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gravelten4. Show Gravelten4's posts

Your right on. I have to confess, even after last season, I thought we were seeing a SLIGHTLY above average ballplayer who just happend to have his best season his first season. Then along comes 2008 and I am not so sure we arent seeing something very special. Remember...he just turned 25 last week!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from DWIGHTRIGHT. Show DWIGHTRIGHT's posts

no question regarding youk and pedroia having great seasons and definitely deserving of mvp consideration. that being said, does anybody really believe that there is anybody more valuable on the red sox than paps? without him, don't even want to think where the sox would be.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThrashMagazine5. Show ThrashMagazine5's posts

paps has been good but far from MVP. Hitters are slowly figuring him out since he doesn't pitch anything other than a fastball. He has great stuff, he needs to stop his "better" than everyone attitude since there is about 5 closers in todays game better than he is. Dont get me wrong, he is most everything I want, but he needs to remember that a 95 mph fastball with bad ball placement wont get him that far from year to year. He was excellent last year because he used other pitches.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from DWIGHTRIGHT. Show DWIGHTRIGHT's posts

[Quote]paps has been good but far from MVP. Hitters are slowly figuring him out since he doesn't pitch anything other than a fastball. He has great stuff, he needs to stop his "better" than everyone attitude since there is about 5 closers in todays game better than he is. Dont get me wrong, he is most everything I want, but he needs to remember that a 95 mph fastball with bad ball placement wont get him that far from year to year. He was excellent last year because he used other pitches.[/Quote]

please be so kind to list the 5 closers who are better.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from docsoc. Show docsoc's posts

I would say Youk and Pedroia should be in the top 7 in AL MVP. If Youk continues putting up August type numbers and the Sox make the playoffs that he should be the MVP. Without the 2 of them this year we would have been lost. (Nothing against Lester and Dice-K).

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from keepmanny7. Show keepmanny7's posts

rivera, krod,....????????? maybe nathan? at the very worst, papelbon is the 4th best.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tph2004. Show tph2004's posts

How did this spin off into Pap as MVP. Pedroia and Youk are clearly the glue of this team. These guys bring something other then just numbers, the ability to make big plays and have big atbats all the time.

Although he will not win the MVP Pedroia is the Red Sox answer to Jeter a guy every team hates but wish's they had.

Pap 2007 vs Pap 2008, are almost identical minus the strikeouts. 20 less K's in 2008 and 8 less walks in 2008. In 07 he gave up 30 hits in 58 innings, to date 40 hits in 58 IP. ERA's 08 slightly less with a slightly higher WHIP.

Did you know Pap has not given up one earned run in the post season in 4 playoff series? The only two guys I would want in there other then Pap is Nathan or Riveria. For the record K Rod has walked 29 guys this year in less innings then Pap, Pap has walked 7, his ERA is almost a run higher, he isnt the K Rod of 04 or 06 with 1.5 K's per inning. I know 50 saves is huge but it also says they have alot of close games. The Sox run Dif is much higher then LA's.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from DWIGHTRIGHT. Show DWIGHTRIGHT's posts

[Quote]As a bigtime Red Sox fan, I still have to admit that for the season only, there are many that "compare" very well to Pap this season.

It's been an amazing season for closer depth for the first time in recent memory for me.

Just playing devil's advocate, as I'm certainly not saying I'd rather have _____ over him on my team, or on the mound in a playoff game etc. Just statistically, many are closer if not slightly better. It shocked me as well. I won't even include saves as that's a team stat that relies on starting pitching/hitting that keeps games close etc.

We'll start with
    Pap: 58 IP 40 H 7 BB 65 Ks 1.71/0.81 .191

Nathan: 56 IP 37 H 13 BB 62 Ks 1.13/0.89 .186
    Rivera: 58.2 IP 36 H 6 BB 67 Ks 1.53/0.72 .175
    Soria: 56 IP 35 H 14 BB 58 Ks 1.93/0.88 .179
    Lidge: 54.1 IP 38 H 27 BB 72 Ks 1.99/1.20 .192 (0 BS)
    Wood: 53.1 IP 39 H 14 BB 66 Ks 2.68/0.99 .202
    KRod: 55.1 IP 41 H 29 BB 62 Ks 2.60/1.27 .203

And to a lesser extent:

Wagner: 47 IP 32 H 10 BBs 52 Ks 2.30/0.89 .185
    Jenks: 48.1 IP 37 H 12 BBs 27 Ks 1.68/1.01 .216

Scary part is, KRod's the worst statistically....and will break the saves record more than likely. Quite the season.
    [/Quote]

nice job with the stats; very enlightening. one thing those stats don't reflect is the pressure of the market you're pitching in. ask gag-me.
    only rivera closes under the same conditions as paps.
    also, the only reason i initiated the paps' discussion as mvp was that k-rod has a great chance to be al mvp as a closer.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Gravelten4. Show Gravelten4's posts

I have to revise my post and its been 8 days! Pedroia has reached/is very close or passed nearly all my final season "top ten MVP" worthy numbers. Dare I say top 3? If he keeps even 2/3 of this up over the final 3 weeks of the season he may win this thing.
    Amazing.

Sections
Shortcuts