1. You have chosen to ignore posts from stomackit10452. Show stomackit10452's posts

Varitek & Red Sox Agree on a 2 Yr Deal

Jason Varitek, Red Sox Reach Agreement

1:01pm: From Jon Heyman: the Red Sox reached an agreement on a two-year deal with Varitek.

http://www.fannation.com/si_blogs/hot_stove/posts/45961-varitek-on-verge-of-two-year-deal-with-red-sox

This is bad news. I didn't want him back. But hey, he has done a lot for the team.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from devildavid. Show devildavid's posts

This is great news! Tek belongs with the Sox and should end his career in Boston.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Piersall37. Show Piersall37's posts

Great move. What he will lack in hitting, he will bring other aspects of his game into play--namely heart and soul. Good for the captain and good for the RS.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikzor. Show mikzor's posts

THe deal occured 3 hours after the fake deadline that LAW created in his head, so Theo and Henry really screwed the pooch on this one. THree hours, that is so damn embarrassing.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Roast1999. Show Roast1999's posts

Law, I see you chose to ignore the article where ESPN reported that there was no actual deadline? Not surprising. The Sox likely got him for 5 or 6 a year, when they would have paid him 11 or so. Yet, Boras got the best of Theo? rrrrrrrright

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from harv53. Show harv53's posts

BIG MISTAKE!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from buttaplaydtoast. Show buttaplaydtoast's posts

good deal as long as they bring someone else in and tek catches 3 times a week and the other 2.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

This was reported at 1PM Eastern. Which means that it probably was done by 11:30 PAC which was, gasp...8:30 Eastern! Thanks, Law, you are the man.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

You've got your time zones backwards, Jim. The west coast is 3 hours behind the east coast. The sun rises in the east and sets in the west.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mudbugger. Show mudbugger's posts

How thrilled is the ex mrs. varitek?

How is heidi going to do with less??

Welcome back 'Tek....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dabro. Show Dabro's posts

Congratulations to Theo and Company for not flinching at all and, at the same time, preserving Tek's dignity with a fair deal. Classy front office continues to make Sox fans proud. A glamour franchise that is rapidly becoming a top destination for players that want a career with a team.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

[Quote]Hilarious.

Theo drew his line in the sand, a one year deal with a take or leave it deadline of Friday morning 8:30 am, and look what happened...

Boras thumbed his nose in Theo's face (again) put the Sox FO over a barrel and ripped the cash out of their pockets.

That's what happens when your GM should be the guy parking your car when you arrive at the building.[/Quote]

Law, I will put up with more than most from you. But, this is even beyond you. The Sox offer arbitration which would have netted Tek 10-12 million for the 2009 season. Now, Theo negotiates a two year deal worth 5 million per year. So, how can you spin this into a negative by the front office? You are insane! If he had acdepted arbitration, he would have made twice as much in 2009. Then, the Sox probably would not have even offered arbitration for the next season effectively ending his career. So, they get 2 years rather than one for 1/2 the money. Tek will now go out in style. If he wants to be mad at anyone, he should blame Boras for misreading the market and the economy.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

[Quote]You've got your time zones backwards, Jim. The west coast is 3 hours behind the east coast. The sun rises in the east and sets in the west.[/Quote]

Sorry, that's what I meant...duh! I'm a dork!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from cpjohn1. Show cpjohn1's posts

Mazzarrotti is reporting that it is not a 2 year deal, but a $5Mil one yer deal with a team option of $5mil or $3Mil player option. Pretty much what was offered.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Heff-17. Show Heff-17's posts

YEAH!!!!! finally, this is over. i've been checking on this all week, including literally every five minutes today. this is fantastic news.

GO TEK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BuschBound. Show BuschBound's posts

[Quote]

Law, I will put up with more than most from you. But, this is even beyond you. The Sox offer arbitration which would have netted Tek 10-12 million for the 2009 season. Now, Theo negotiates a two year deal worth 5 million per year. So, how can you spin this into a negative by the front office? You are insane! If he had acdepted arbitration, he would have made twice as much in 2009. Then, the Sox probably would not have even offered arbitration for the next season effectively ending his career. So, they get 2 years rather than one for 1/2 the money. Tek will now go out in style. If he wants to be mad at anyone, he should blame Boras for misreading the market and the economy.[/Quote]

DING DING DING!!! We have a winner!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dabro. Show Dabro's posts

It is clearly the take it or leave it offer. Boras totally choked. Theo never flinches. He is a tough hombre.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ibbubba. Show ibbubba's posts

[Quote]Hilarious.

Theo drew his line in the sand, a one year deal with a take or leave it deadline of Friday morning 8:30 am, and look what happened...

Boras thumbed his nose in Theo's face (again) put the Sox FO over a barrel and ripped the cash out of their pockets.

That's what happens when your GM should be the guy parking your car when you arrive at the building.[/Quote]
    Law, where did you get your information that there was a 8:30 am EST set for this deal to be null and void? You want to listen to someone in the media give a time and everyone ran with it. The Sox FO never said there was a 8:30 deadline for Tek to accept or reject the contract. So when that time comes and passes you think that Boras has Theo over a barrel. How wrong you are. Tek has just agreed to a 2 year contract. What do you have to say now Law?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidap. Show davidap's posts

I'm not a huge fan of Epstein but it's ludicrous to say he got the short end of this deal. He got Varitek for an extra year at half the price (possibly more than half the price, if the Red Sox delcine the '10 option and Varitek accepts the $3 million.)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkindc. Show dkindc's posts

[Quote]It is clearly the take it or leave it offer. Boras totally choked. Theo never flinches. He is a tough hombre.[/Quote]

Dabro - for the most part I agree with you. But, in my opinion it would be better to tone down the Theo praise a little. Not telling you what to do - just my reaction. Theo is a good GM - even a great one - but the praise seems a little much sometimes.

Thanks for considering my point of view.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkindc. Show dkindc's posts

"In '10, he can earn another $2 million in incentives based on playing time, beginning at 80 games started."

So, the need to get another catcher can be pushed off till June or even next year - depending on how Tek bats. If they don't get someone by 2010 it is going to cost the Sox extra money to pay for that .220 swing.

I am thinking Tek will hit better this year.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from harv53. Show harv53's posts

[Quote]bard and tek nice tandom [/Quote]

Didn't we try this once already?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from joyceand. Show joyceand's posts

This is great news! Tek belongs with the Sox and should end his career in Boston.

Tek had a great career with the Sox but I believe that it should have ended after last year. He has achieved Trot Nixon 'sacred cow' status among most fans despite the fact that he's running on fumes. I know that he works very well with pitchers; at this point, he'd be more of an asset on the coaching staff & he could mentor his successors.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from badscience. Show badscience's posts

No brainer. The Sox saved a couple of million bucks from arbitration, while doubling Tek's obligation. We can now smoothly move into Spring Training and have gained leverage in making any young catcher deals over the next few months. No downside.
    If Tek peps up at the plate a bit, great. If not, we have a great teacher and bench presence for Bard and any newcomers.
    While it probably doesn't get us through to the Mauer sweepstakes, it buys us time and positioning. Good move.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

so, now is the time to reallysatrt to get serious about finding the catcher of the future. it would seem that the price of teagarden or salty will drop now that the immediate need for a catcher to work with bard has deminished.

Sections
Shortcuts