1. You have chosen to ignore posts from OscarGamble. Show OscarGamble's posts

Varitek & Red Sox Agree on a 2 Yr Deal

Funny but I don't feel much of anything by having Tek back. I guess I'm glad for the pitchers, especially the 4 new ones, for that "comfort zone" factor that they feel is important. I have zero excitement over the thought of him flailing away at pitches in the dirt for another season, maybe two. Or teams flat-out running at will on him. Truth is, between a .238 BA the past 3 seasons and this go-for-every-dollar mindset he showed this offseason (after 4 years of being paid twice what he was worth), I look at this guy differently now...and look forward to getting a worthwhile replacement in Boston as quickly as possible. He wasn't even remotely worth the $10.5 million he'd likely have made in arbitration but the extent of his "loyalty" was sticking it to the Red Sox one more time. Congrats to everyone; our catching situation remains very much broken. Zero other offers; Boston ended up doing him a favor. He ain't "going out in style" in my book.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnDeckCircle. Show OnDeckCircle's posts

As fans, let's not boo the guy so it's heard in northern Maine everytime there's a hole in his bat or runners steal easy bases on him.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PSFever. Show PSFever's posts

Well it's finally been decided, at least one or two more years of absolutely no offense in over 300 AB against right hand pitching from either Tek or Bard. Theo made a few good low risk moves on pitching but without any offensive upgrade?

I will be watching two things very closely this season while saying my prayers the team does well.

#1 Our offense staying healthy and productive
    #2 Buchholz's progress, or lack of

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

This time make Varitek catch Wake and Lester.
    Varitek should be happy he got twice what anyone else would have paid him as they would have lost the pick.
    Varitek has batted under .200 like 4 of the last 5 months. They say he was distracted, think he still will be after this fiasco? (losing $4-5 Million)

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dabro. Show Dabro's posts

Hi Dkindc --

I appreciate the feedback and basically understand what you are getting at. Please note that sometimes it is best to fight rhetoric with rhetoric, if only just for effect. Also, I always point out in many posts that Theo makes many mistakes, like most GMS, that there are points of disagreement, and that he is a young executive on a learning curve. I do think he gets better and better every year. What I like most is the overall strategy which, when executed like it has been over the past 6 years, has taken a mediocre franchise and restored it to greatness while, frankly, exorcising some demons that have been eating away at me and my family for literally generations. So yes, I am an unabashed fan. I am a results guy, no one can debate the outcomes. Process, sure, let's argue about this or that deal, all in good fun, but outcomes, well, they are exceptional.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mays24. Show mays24's posts

OKAY I'LL ASK THE QUESTION ..WHO ELSE WAS GOING TO PICK HIM UP ?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from passedball. Show passedball's posts

[Quote]Great move. What he will lack in hitting, he will bring other aspects of his game into play--namely heart and soul. Good for the captain and good for the RS.[/Quote]

He needs to crowd the plate & get hit more. A HBP, is just as good as a walk, as well as a hit.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from cowgoesmoo. Show cowgoesmoo's posts

[Quote]Funny but I don't feel much of anything by having Tek back. I guess I'm glad for the pitchers, especially the 4 new ones, for that "comfort zone" factor that they feel is important. I have zero excitement over the thought of him flailing away at pitches in the dirt for another season, maybe two. Or teams flat-out running at will on him. Truth is, between a .238 BA the past 3 seasons and this go-for-every-dollar mindset he showed this offseason (after 4 years of being paid twice what he was worth), I look at this guy differently now...and look forward to getting a worthwhile replacement in Boston as quickly as possible. He wasn't even remotely worth the $10.5 million he'd likely have made in arbitration but the extent of his "loyalty" was sticking it to the Red Sox one more time. Congrats to everyone; our catching situation remains very much broken. Zero other offers; Boston ended up doing him a favor. He ain't "going out in style" in my book.[/Quote]

What he said.......................

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Hfxsoxnut. Show Hfxsoxnut's posts

This is another in a series of solid moves by Theo and the Red Sox since the Teixeira fiasco. They have made a lot of relatively cheap signings, risky but with high reward potential. And locked up Youkilis while they were at it.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Law, where did you get your information that there was a 8:30 am EST set for this deal to be null and void?

I assume he made it up.

The first issue is that 8:30 AM is an odd time for a deadline. I doubt Tek, Teho or Boras are up at 8:30 in the morning. And with Boras on the west coast, it's like him waking up at 5AM to get the party started.

If you wanted an 8:30 answer, you're better off moving it back to midnoght of the previous day.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from KurtColorado. Show KurtColorado's posts

Glad to have the captain back. He's obviously not what he was even three/four years ago, but I think he's going to surprise people with his bat. He's always been a pretty clutch hitter and will be productive. He deserves alittle more respect than he's getting on this board.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

Glad it's done and it's a fair deal for all.
    But how many here think either of Francona or Theo has the guts to ask Veritek to bat right handed only? Yepper...I agree that neither of them do, so we'll have the pleasure of watching Tek hit .200 for 70% of his ab's . The man hits literally 100 points higher from the right side vs. the left, but this has apparently gone unnoticed by the Red Sox FO and coaching staff.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from billy13. Show billy13's posts

Its not an option to stop switch hitting for Veritek. He will face mostly righthanded pitchers, so he will be batting lefthanded most of the time. He has been hitting that way his entire 15 yrs in to pro baseball. Dont see any chance of that.

I do have questions regarding his willingness to mentor, or allow Francona to actually pinch hit for him. I dont see him taking a declining role well. Thats really based on his behavior last year when Francona pinch hit for him and his statements this winter.

He does have a lot of incentive on this contract, because if he hits .220 again, he will be out of the league. Is he done? Maybe. We should find out by June if he has anything left at all. If he doesnt, play Bard and try to get a catcher at the deadline.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

If Jason Varitek can land a two-year contract for $8 million to $10 million, what kind of contract can Scott Boras secure for the like-aged Ivan Rodriguez, a former American League MVP, 13-time Gold Glove winner, likely future Hall of Famer and owner of one World Series ring.

Varitek, who turns 37 in April, has a career OPS+ of 100 while Rodriguez, who turned 37 in November, has a career OPS+ of 110. Here are their 2008 numbers:

Varitek 423 AB, 37 R, 13 HR, 43 RBI, .220 BA, .313 OBP, .672 OPS, 73 OPS+
    Rodriguez 398 AB, 44 R, 7, HR, 35 RBI, .276 BA, .319 OBP, .713 OPS, 87 OPS+

http://www.baseball-reference.com/v/varitja01.shtml

http://www.baseball-reference.com/r/rodriiv01.shtml

In 2008, Varitek threw out 16 of 72 attempted basestealers (22.2 percent) while Rodiguez threw out 25 of 77 attempted basestealers (32.5 percent). Varitek's reputed game-calling skills may help offset Rodriguez's 13-to-1 edge in Gold Gloves.

Fangraphs lists the Dollar Value for Varitek at $22.1 million over the past three seasons ($4.4 million, $12.1 million and $5.6 million), while the three-year Dollar Value of Rodriguez is $24 million ($9.1 million, $6.4 million and $8.5 million).

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=217&position=C

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=1275&position=C

Varitek and Rodriguez provide reasonable comps. Varitek's contract will seem awfully generous in the likely event that Rodriguez signs for far less than two years and $8 million.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BuzzCal. Show BuzzCal's posts

I really didn't care either way about Varitek after opting out of Arbitration but I am happy for the Red Sox that they got this deal done. We are going to need solid pitching this year to get us back to the World Series and I have to admit working with the pitching staff is Varitek's greatest strength at this point in his career. I hope the Sox start working on a legitimate catcher for the future.

http://www.buzzcal.com

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

This guarantees that the team will not inporve at ANY POSITION next season.

I love Tek - he's a great guy - but this off season has been a disaster for the Sox.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnDeckCircle. Show OnDeckCircle's posts

It remains to be seen how long it will take to deal with the original problem of who will be the next catcher to be counted on for several years. Will Theo et al drag their feet until this Varitek contract runs out ?
    It's long past time that a catcher was mentored . It should have been done 2 years ago.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from andre10056. Show andre10056's posts

[Quote]This guarantees that the team will not inporve at ANY POSITION next season.

I love Tek - he's a great guy - but this off season has been a disaster for the Sox.[/Quote]

Perhaps you're right about just doing what they did last year (i.e., "not improving"). But does "not improving" mean "disaster"?

The Red Sox during 2008 were 3rd among all major league teams behind the Rangers and Cubs in scoring runs. They were 2nd in OPS which encompasses on base % and slugging.

Let's hope they can do as well again. Certainly the Rays (13th in runs scored, 10th in OPS) and Yankees (10th in runs scored, 8th in OPS) wish they could do anywhere near as well as tyhe 2008 Red Sox.

And with Jason Bay having become familiar with American League pitching last year and living pout of a home rather than a suitcase, there's the potential for him to do much better than his already solid performance.

Can Jacoby do better than last year, his first full season in the majors?

How 'bout Lowrie now that he's had a half season of work for the Red Sox?

Can Lugo come back strong?

How 'bout Ortiz who practically went 0 for his first ABs last year?

You don't necessarily need new personnel to "improve" on last year's performance.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from andre10056. Show andre10056's posts

I meant to say, "How 'bout Ortiz who practically went 0 for his first 100 ABs last year?"

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

The man hits literally 100 points higher from the right side vs. the left, but this has apparently gone unnoticed by the Red Sox FO and coaching staff.

He's only had one season where his LH hitting didn't equal his RH hitting. There are plenty of seasons where splits don't even out, but perhaps this has gone unnoticed by the critics.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

This guarantees that the team will not inporve at ANY POSITION next season.

So then, you're of the opinion that Ramirez and Saito don't constitute an improvement over Timlin and Tavarez?

And that Penny and Smoltz don't represent an improvement over Buchholz' 2-9?

Interesting.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from andre10056. Show andre10056's posts

test

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BuzzCal. Show BuzzCal's posts

andre10056,

You are completely correct. We have a strong lineup returning and we have an improved pitching staff. Watch as we dismantle the Yanks this year after they spent 400 Million to try and buy a Championship. I am excited for this season!!!

http://www.buzzcal.com