1. You have chosen to ignore posts from chuchos. Show chuchos's posts

What is everbody excited about?

an offseason after a few base hits shy of the World Series.
    have faith.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillallbost08. Show stillallbost08's posts

A bat was not a pressing need. bay hitting 30/100 is the same as what manny was putting up. Obviously they still need a catcher but even if they don't land a top young one, how much worse will any catcher hit than what tek did last season. I still hope tek comes back because I think he would be better than last year. The bp is much stronger and so is the bench if rocco can play/be available for 3/4 of the games.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from chuchos. Show chuchos's posts

the big bat the Sox need is already on the team.
    David Ortiz.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from njalb. Show njalb's posts

If injured Ortiz { with no protection in the line-up } is the " big bat " then the offense does not look good!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxncycles. Show soxncycles's posts

[Quote]If injured Ortiz { with no protection in the line-up } is the " big bat " then the offense does not look good!![/Quote]

And if he isn't injured?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

[Quote]

And if he isn't injured?[/Quote] hey Niz, long time... Happy New Year..what's doin?...hope you've been well..shaping up to be an interesting offseason,hope we stay healthy, to make things close..good to see you here again...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from czap. Show czap's posts

Pedroia, Youk, Lowell, Bay, Papi, Drew and an improved Ells and Lowrie. Offense seems fine to me. I think Baldelli will help. Also Lars may be an impact before this season is over. The questions about this team baffle me.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from czap. Show czap's posts

6-9= Bay, Drew, Lowrie and Bard. Where are the easy outs? If you think Lowrie is an easy out you didnt watch him before the wrist injury.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[Quote]Manny is a dirt bag, but please don't compare Bay to Manny in this lineup. Not even close.[/Quote]

Isn't Bay one of the 'EASY OUTS' you mentioned in the first post? He batted 6th

You said " easy outs 7-9 or maybe 6-9"

You may dislike Manny Ramirez, and that's your right and your choice...but the guy is no "easy out" and he is going to the Hall of Fame.

And he won't wait as long as Jim Rice did.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from eddiewilson. Show eddiewilson's posts

i think the main concern should be the fact that ortiz said he wasn't injured last year, he just heard his wrist "click"....the dr's said this is perfectly normal. so...if hearing the clicking is freaking him out and making him not hit, then he has bigger issues....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hutch04901. Show hutch04901's posts

Winning baseball is 85% pitching and defense. Sox have both, plus an offense that's better than 90% of the other mlb teams. What, me worry? Sox would have won it all last year with a healthy Beckett. Sox will be fine. If Penny, Smoltz, Saito, Ramirez pitch anywhere near what they are capable, the Sox will have the best pitching staff in baseball bar none. With minor league studs Bowden, Bucholtz, & Bard, the Sox have an insurance policy in case of injury to mlb staff. Tex who?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from keepmanny7. Show keepmanny7's posts

bay-drew-lowrie-catcher are all easy outs?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

[Quote]

Isn't Bay one of the 'EASY OUTS' you mentioned in the first post? He batted 6th

You said " easy outs 7-9 or maybe 6-9"

You may dislike Manny Ramirez, and that's your right and your choice...but the guy is no "easy out" and he is going to the Hall of Fame.

And he won't wait as long as Jim Rice did.
    [/Quote]

Zillagod...it seems to me that HAVE was saying that despite Manny being a dirtbag of a person, he was a far better hitter than Bay. So You and He agree. But the facts dispute your assertions. Over the last 2 years he was with the Sox, Manny hit below .300 and averaged around 35 HRs per season (though he did not put in a full season in any of the last 3 seasons, in fact). Except for one bad year, Bay has put up almost identical numbers over his career to those Manny gave us over the last 2 years. So on paper, at least, Bay's bat has replaced what Manny was providing, which is what STILLALLBOST08 was trying to say.

As for whether Bay was better for the lineup, the same, or worse (since he brings more than just a bat to the team), I look at how the team did. The Sox played better AFTER Bay got here than they did before. Good enough for me to say: A big bat to replace Manny's was NOT the big need for this off-season. That was Tony Massarotti's assertion, and fascination. It just wasn't the truth.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[Quote]

Zillagod...it seems to me that HAVE was saying that despite Manny being a dirtbag of a person, he was a far better hitter than Bay. So You and He agree. But the facts dispute your assertions. Over the last 2 years he was with the Sox, Manny hit below .300 and averaged around 35 HRs per season (though he did not put in a full season in any of the last 3 seasons, in fact). Except for one bad year, Bay has put up almost identical numbers over his career to those Manny gave us over the last 2 years. So on paper, at least, Bay's bat has replaced what Manny was providing, which is what STILLALLBOST08 was trying to say.

As for whether Bay was better for the lineup, the same, or worse (since he brings more than just a bat to the team), I look at how the team did. The Sox played better AFTER Bay got here than they did before. Good enough for me to say: A big bat to replace Manny's was NOT the big need for this off-season. That was Tony Massarotti's assertion, and fascination. It just wasn't the truth.

[/Quote]

parhunter, you are right and I apologize to HAVE.

I reread the post, and I took it to mean he thought Bay was a better hitter than Manny, it seems I had it backwards. When he said"don't compare Bay to Manny, I thought he was saying Bay was superior. I guess the "dirtbag" slur got me thinking he couldn't possibly say anything good about Ramirez.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from youngdavid74. Show youngdavid74's posts

At the least either 6 -9 or 7 your looking at Lowell, Drew, Lowrie and right now Bard. Not really any easy outs there.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 2009WSChampNYY. Show 2009WSChampNYY's posts

Eddiewilson,

Where did you see that about Ortiz and the "clicking" in his wrist? I thought it was just a sore knee.

Sections
Shortcuts