1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

What Is Matt Cassel Worth?

Will the Cassel situation negatively affect the Pats' position on free agents...and on resigning NT Vince Wilfolk? This from the Globe:
    "The unexpected rise of Matt Cassel and the Patriots' need to place the franchise tag on him may be having unintended consequences for the team's plans for the future and for prospective 2010 free agents seeking new deals such as Vince Wilfork. Wilfork, one of the top nose tackles in the game and a pivotal piece of the Patriots' 3-4 defense, is entering the final year of the six-year deal he signed as a rookie in 2004, when the Patriots took him with the 21st overall pick. That deal averages $1.5 million per season. He is due for a hefty raise, considering that 3-4 nose tackles Casey Hampton of the Steelers and Kris Jenkins of the Jets both made more than $5 million last season. But whether it's because of the Patriots being consumed by the Cassel situation, or coach Bill Belichick dealing with turnover in the front office and coaching staff, or just a simple lack of interest in doing a deal, the team has not contacted Wilfork about an extension."

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

ESPN draft "experts", Mel Kiper and Todd MCShay, debate the QB prospects: http://www.freep.com/article/20090211/SPORTS01/90210097/1049/ESPN
    +draft+experts+debate+top-pick+QBs+for+Lions

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

http://jacksonville.com/interact/blog/michael_wright/2009-02-10/sanchez_to_jags_at_no_8

possible another team in need of a QB?i didnt see this one comeing.who knows maybe the rams could be a surprise looking for a QB?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

The Favre retirement and the possibility of the Jags scooping up Sanchez will help strengthen the market for Cassel.

Of course, the Jags could just be posturing in order to get some team to trade up to their spot. Their top priorities appear to be their offensive and defensive lines.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

The Chicago Bears probably won't be plaayers in the Matt Cassel sweepstakes. They were considering David Carr and Luke McCown as alternatives to Kyle Orton. But, both of these alleged alternatives have resigned with their present teams: http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/chi-10-bears-chicagofeb10,0,2849376.story

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Just because Brett Favre says hes' retiring, doesn't mean that he'll stay retired. He may have just used that as a ploy to get out of NY, and get to Minnesota: http://blogs.startribune.com/vikingsblog/?p=2470

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Mel Kiper thinks that Matt Cassel is a better franchise QB choice than Sanchez or Stafford. But, he doesn't think that teams will be willing to pay the necessary price in draft picks to acquire him: http://www.freep.com/article/20090211/BLOG21/90211054/1049
    /SPORTS01/Matt+Cassel+is+best+QB+option++but+he+s+unlikely
    +to+become+a+Lion

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Does anybody remember where Mel Kiper, Jr., came from and what his credentials are?

Oned day I wokd up and there he was, claiming to know everything about everything.

Who is this guy?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Parish-sez. Show Parish-sez's posts

I don't pretend to have nfl trade evaluation skills, but if I am going to trade Cassel, my suggestion is Minnesota 1st and Chester Taylor for Matt and a 3rd. Taylor has skills and isn't going to stay with Minn to be Petersons backup. Maroney has been plagued with injuries when he's healthy he's great but he has yet to be healthy. Jordan and Morris have been up and down their whole careers. If not for Peterson, Taylor would be a good starter.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/123364-brett-favre-retires-matt-cassel-headed-to-new-york-jets/poll_results#poll

i dont see this happening,but its floating out there.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[Quote]Does anybody remember where Mel Kiper, Jr., came from and what his credentials are?

Oned day I wokd up and there he was, claiming to know everything about everything.

Who is this guy?[/Quote]

Who is Mel Kiper? An entrepreneur who has found a way to transform a labor of love...giving a general scouting report on college players available for the NFL draft...into a multi-million dollar business for himself. Say what you want about the guy, but he knows all of the college players...and has been a major contributor in turning the NFL draft into one of the most anticipated and fun sports days in the calendar year.

Thanks, Mel.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

prairiemike,

you just hit the nail on the head, Kiper is like an astrologer reading your horoscope. He says something complimentary about every guy coming in and something negative, that way afterward he will be able to reference himself either way.

He's wrong more often than not about the blue chip guys that will be difference makers and by arguing against every pick that BB and Pioli have made, has shown he knows nothing about the draft; he's just a talking head who takes up airtime. He’s the guy that convinced us Ryan Leaf was a cant miss prospect… well some of you out there anyhow.

The rest of us think he’s as FOS…

For my money Cassel will be worth a 1st and some 3rd and later round pick(s) and we need to draft an impact strong safety with one of those first round picks and another defender with the other.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

History shows that Belichick is a pragmatist. If Green New Jersey floats the best offer, I could see the Pats' brain trust shipping Cassel off to the Meadowlands. That would be unfortunate, but it is well within the realm of possibility.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Jets can just negotiate a deal and sign him. Then they lose two #1's which I'm sure we'd be thrilled about.

I don't really want to see Cassel a Jet, but seeing them lose 2 #1's over, say, Detroit's #1 and #2/3, would be sweet.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

I can't envision the Jets trading two #1s to their archrivals for Cassel. They'll try something else.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[Quote]That would be the only way the Jets get Cassel is to sign him and give up 2 first round picks. There is no way BB trades him there or to any team in the division. I think Detriot drafts Stafford #1 overall. Sanchez goes to the Jets at #17 and the Pats deal Cassel to SF for the #10 overall pick and a conditional 2010 2nd rounder. That's my dream scenario anyway.[/Quote]

It would be great if the Pats could get that 10th overall pick.

Currently, I don't see Sanchez dropping as far down as #17. But, its' really too early to project who goes where...theres' the combine and all still to come.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Michael Vick will be released in July from his current "commitment". It remains to be seen how this affects the QB market: http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/falcons/stories/2009/02/13/
    atlanta_falcons_michael_vick.html

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

it shouldnt effect the pats chances of tradeing cassel,but it would be a slap in the face if a team took the trade over cassel,but teams are not gonna want to pay vicks salary,which he would have to re-do his contract.and then the question is when will he be able to play,and how much of a protest will he get?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

[Quote]That would be the only way the Jets get Cassel is to sign him and give up 2 first round picks. There is no way BB trades him there or to any team in the division. I think Detriot drafts Stafford #1 overall. Sanchez goes to the Jets at #17 and the Pats deal Cassel to SF for the #10 overall pick and a conditional 2010 2nd rounder. That's my dream scenario anyway.[/Quote]

Yeah I like that option too, Maualuga @ #10, keep #23 for a CB or Chung

I like Detroit's #33 and a 2010 #1 as well ( but it would be nice if it was this years pick 20)

I like Minnesota's pick, #22 and Chester Taylor A LOT

I like TB's #19 and cond #2 nxt year or #3 this year

I even like Tony Gonzalez and KC's pick #35

Let's just DEAL so we can get some FA's... adding a veteran CB is a must, adding a veteran behind Neal (like Kendell) and Bruschi (like Barton) or even going big for Peppers would be pretty awesome.

20. This post has been removed.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

umm.... do not compare Gonzalez and Pollard

If we had Gonzalez he would push provide a reliable pass-catching threat that Watson would not and is just as good a blocker as Watson. The two of them can split time, we several two TE sets like we had w/ Graham (who is a better blocker than TG) and use Gonzalez more in the red-zone... where he will be a fearsome weapon w/ both Moss and Welker

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidwa. Show davidwa's posts

Watson's very athletic but he's not known for his blocking. I've got mixed opinions on Gonzalez he's been a great pass catching playmaker but is he a good blocker? I liked what Grahm in his prime used to bring to the team. He made the running game better as a TE. If the Pats want a TE & they get multiple picks Pettigew could be that type of player. I think the Pats have good pass catchers. However, I can think of more than a few times when they couldn't convert on short yardage plays when they needed to in key situations. A good pass blocking TE can also give a team another good blocker on pass plays. I've read that Pettigew likes to block plus he's a good route runner & has good hands.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/view/90871-teams-that-might-trade-for-vick?eref=fromSI

I have to ask why would any of these teams consider it?I would think if cassel is on the block,teams would want him first before even considering vick.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from davidwa. Show davidwa's posts

Kyle,

Good to hear that BB views Watson's blocking skills as improved. He's definitely a high character guy that shows flashes of brilliance with his athleticism. Even if Pettigrew slides to #23 defense may be the best way for the Pats to pick.

Sections
Shortcuts