1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BuzzCal. Show BuzzCal's posts

What is the Redsox biggest weakness?

The biggest weakness the Sox have going into this season is Big Papi. If he hits like last year (I know he was injured) then we are in BIG trouble. To stay in the AL East race we will need to tear the cover off the ball while also delivering lights out pitching.

Manage all your favorite team's schedules at http://www.buzzcal.com

BuzzCal

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

The upside on this team is huge. It is easy to be excited by our chances. There are a lot of "ifs", but we don't need all the "ifs" to come true to have a strong chance. GO SOX!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Again, I submit that Dunn is unsigned and never said he would refuse to EVER play 1st.

From Rotoworld-
    He's reportedly been telling teams he won't move to first base,

Combine that with 19 starts at 1B over the past three years, and he just doesn't look like a 1B to me.

The Angels also are hoping to land a slugger and would likely bid against, us along with the Mets and others.

Then what's the next Q you should ask yourself? If these two teams, with money to burn, aren't willing to pay Dunn to start, then why should we be paying him the same money to sit on the bench?

Finally, to address Joe's comment about the Red Sox being perennial 95 game winners, I say not this year unless changes are made. The Red Sox way I alluded to was the years 2003 through 2008. This year is a marked departure from the winning formula.

How is this a marked change? It's virtually the same team as last year, except for improvements at the BP and the rotation. Baldelli and Kotsay instead of Crisp and Casey. Lugo/Lowrie instead of Lugo/Cora. Ramirez/Saito instead of Timlin/Tavarez. Penny/Smoltz instead of Buchhlolz. Sorry, but I'm not seeing a marked change. A modest change for the better perhaps, but not marked.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Great guy+performer on the field. Is he better than Manny? No...he really isn't but I'd say he's about 85% of Manny.

He's 85% of Manny's hitting, but he plays 15% more games.

Bay should hit 3rd, Ortiz 4th, Youk 5th, our newly acquired Big Bat (Dunn?) 6th, Drew 7th. Man what a murderers row that would be!

That lineup requires Dunn to play 1st and Youk to play 3B. So you weaken your defense at 3B, and decimate your fielding at 1B. Just not worth it, imho.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

[Quote]Great guy+performer on the field. Is he better than Manny? No...he really isn't but I'd say he's about 85% of Manny.

Bay should hit 3rd, Ortiz 4th, Youk 5th, our newly acquired Big Bat (Dunn?) 6th, Drew 7th. Man what a murderers row that would be!

That lineup requires Dunn to play 1st and Youk to play 3B. So you weaken your defense at 3B, and decimate your fielding at 1B. Just not worth it, imho.
    [/Quote]

Hey folks, not that Wilkerson is a big bat or anything, but I think his signing should be a fair indication that the SOx are not interested in signing Dunn, at least not with the current line-up they already have.

Now the team has 2 left handed hitting 1B/OF altready vying for a spot - don't expect them to add a 3rd -- unless Ortiz or Lowell is out for a long period of time -- by then Dunn will be elsewhere!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[Quote]Great guy+performer on the field. Is he better than Manny? No...he really isn't but I'd say he's about 85% of Manny.

[/Quote]

Put the better OB% guy up 3rd... Youk.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

How long will this vandalism of posting oversized pics to kill threads be allowed?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jumpshotking13. Show jumpshotking13's posts

the obvious weaknesses are catcher and shortstop. but i think the biggest weakness is our bench. who is there? baldelli? no on is sure if he can even play twice a week. kotsay? hes going to be gone for a couple months because of his recent surgery. after that there really istnt any decent players. lugo and lowrie will be platooning to start the season (at least i believe this is what will happen) but other than the one who is taking the day off, there is NO help off the pine

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Hey Troll...how is this pessimistic?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I would say strenght up the middle is a potential weakness.

Between Varitek, Lowry and Ellisbury, they have a few question marks, at least about offensive contribution. Atlhough two are plus defenders if not GG defenders, but Lowirie and Tek are only adequate defenders who won't hurt the team.

All in all, I am confident with the corners of the infield and outfield. All are generally plus defenders and plus offensive talents, with Bay's defense bringining up the rear.

And I am very confident about both the rotation and the bullpen.

Hopefully, Tek can get something going at the plate .50 and 15 HRs would be ideal at this point, and Ellisbury and Lowrie can build on last year.

Lugo was looking good, but he is hurt now.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rizzuto1965. Show Rizzuto1965's posts

Would it be the new uniforms? ;-)

As long as the contingent is healthy, Sox will be in the mix. As currently constituted, few weaknesses exist. On paper and past performance, it's a well-balanced team.

I have my doubts that Tampa Bay can repeat their pitching from last year, though their offense may improve. It proves to be a fascinating season, and a very competitive American League East.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts