What is the Redsox biggest weakness?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Hey Troll...how is this pessimistic?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

I would say strenght up the middle is a potential weakness.

Between Varitek, Lowry and Ellisbury, they have a few question marks, at least about offensive contribution. Atlhough two are plus defenders if not GG defenders, but Lowirie and Tek are only adequate defenders who won't hurt the team.

All in all, I am confident with the corners of the infield and outfield. All are generally plus defenders and plus offensive talents, with Bay's defense bringining up the rear.

And I am very confident about both the rotation and the bullpen.

Hopefully, Tek can get something going at the plate .50 and 15 HRs would be ideal at this point, and Ellisbury and Lowrie can build on last year.

Lugo was looking good, but he is hurt now.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rizzuto1965. Show Rizzuto1965's posts

Would it be the new uniforms? ;-)

As long as the contingent is healthy, Sox will be in the mix. As currently constituted, few weaknesses exist. On paper and past performance, it's a well-balanced team.

I have my doubts that Tampa Bay can repeat their pitching from last year, though their offense may improve. It proves to be a fascinating season, and a very competitive American League East.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rsinsider. Show rsinsider's posts

our weakness is pretty plain to see, 4 hole and 5th starter i think dunn would have fit great and sorry but WAKE has got to go. I could steal second and third off tim and it is hard to win games when you turn walks into doubles then throw it to the backstop!!!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

[Quote]

The biggest weakness for the Boston Red Sox?

General Manager Theo Epstein.[/Quote]

This response is why this board is now officially whack! Does posting this, which we all know full well by now that you feel this way, advance the discussion at all? The answer is "no". I know you think Theo is the biggest weakness. That being said, I believe the majority of posters are thinking in "on the field" terms. Every team has weaknesses. Since there are no plans to get rid of Theo during the 2009 season, you should probably focus in on the players.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnDeckCircle. Show OnDeckCircle's posts

- Both Pedroia and Youkilis have to do no worse than duplicate what they did in 2008.

- Lowell and Ortiz has to show they're healthy on a daily basis.

- Assuming Ortiz is healthy, Bay has to offer some kind of protection in the batting order.

- Ellsbury has to put 2008 behind him.

- Matsuzaka has to cut down on walks. He won't get as lucky every year as he did in 2008.

- Lester will need to have close to the year he had last year.

- It's time for Wakefield to call it a career. Either Buchholz or Bowden can step up and do more. Wakefield's back could act up at any time.

- Penny and Smoltz shouldn't be counted on. Anything they do is a bonus.

- Theo has to keep a constant watch on players being available from other teams because of sagging attendance or salary restraints.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

I think the sox inability to manufacture runs will hurt in the long run...they have some decent power hitters...but no one who will put up 40...and lets face it folks...if the red sox arent hitting homers, they arent winning

but their pitching staff will absolutely keep them in games so it will come down to ALOT of 1 and 2 run games

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from tsawyer8. Show tsawyer8's posts

Would you like to take my ding, ding, ding in you mouth again, Law Bug!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[Quote]Who revived this thread? Was it you Moonslav?[/Quote]

I didn't "revise" anything, I merely went back a few pages and brought it back to the front burner, to show trollspray, my threads are not all about Manny or Theo. I cound't find my "Wake bashers Wake Up" one... oh well.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

[Quote]I think the sox inability to manufacture runs will hurt in the long run...they have some decent power hitters...but no one who will put up 40...and lets face it folks...if the red sox arent hitting homers, they arent winning

but their pitching staff will absolutely keep them in games so it will come down to ALOT of 1 and 2 run games[/Quote]

I don't know. I don't really agree here. A. They haven't had anyone putting up 40 dingers in a few years. B. They have plenty of ability to manufacture runs. I think a likely drop-off from Youk and Dusty can me more than made-up for by Ellsbury and Lowries stepping up their production. And Papi really can;t be worse than last year (we hope). Lowell should be a little more productive. This is a really dangerous line-up. I hope opposing teams are underestimating them as many on this board have been. Look, after spending years building the line-up around Papi/Manny, the offense, scrambling to remake its identity with an ailing Ortiz and a lost Ramirez, still put up really good numbers. Yes, they missed Manny in the playoffs. But they might have been a shade more productive if they weren't held together with duct tape and glue by that point.

I agree that the pitching staff is gonna keep us in games. I think that we pull out more than our share of thos games though with this offense.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Roast1999. Show Roast1999's posts

[Quote]The identity of the championship Red Sox teams was the feared batting order, led by Manny Ramirez. His presence in the lineup set the table for 1-9 hitters for the Red Sox.

He's gone, Theo didn't replace that power and presence (not even close) and the Sox offense struggles, both in ST and for sure during the regular season.

MLB teams cannot struggle to score runs in the AL and compete for the AL pennant and a trip to the big show.

Great job Theo. It's your team now...all 65 wins of it.[/Quote]

You are very wrong. Yes, the Sox had a good batting order when they won those two titles, but is that why they won? Was that their identity? NO.

The reason the Sox won was because they realized that pitching wins. The reason they fell short in 2003 was that they didn't have a deep enough rotation and they didn't have a closer. They went out to get Schilling and Foulke, and that was that. In 2007 it was Pap and Beckett who were the catalysts.

It's going to be awesome when the Sox blow past 65 wins with ease. That will be a good day. I doubt Flaw will be around that day coincidentally. He'll have a big "case" that day with his "law firm." The guy clearly doesn't believe his own words. I offered a friendly wager that if the Sox win 65 games or less I will never post again, and if they won more than 65 he never posted again. He doesn't have the courage to back it up, which is fine. It shows the troll he is.

Sections
Shortcuts