1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

What moves should Epstein make this off-season?

Did you miss the multiple other threads discussing this?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

It's time to unload: Timlin, Lopez, Byrd, Wakefield, Lugo, Kotsay, Varitek, Cora, Cash, Crisp for openers.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

Forgot to add Delcarmen and Lowell to the list of guys I'd unload.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from schwank. Show schwank's posts

An interesting topic will be Peavy. Similar to the Santana discussions, however he is younger. The reports, whether true or not indicate that SD is interested in 2 pitching prospects and an everyday CF. Hmm, we seem to match up pretty good. Crisp's value is probably at its highest point since we acquired him from Cleveland. Do you trade Bucholtz, Bowden and Crisp? My instinct says that's too expensive. But it's (those reports have any threads of proof) a starting point of negotiation. By the time Santana went .... it was no where near the high water mark that was reported in the beginning. I like Peavy ..... have for many years, but I would probably do it for one of those three, I mentioned, and two lower level prospects.

Halladay, Texiera, who knows. SS is Lowery the answer or will he be packaged in some deal to acquire some other piece. It will be an interesting off season. By the way sometimes those trades don't work out (i.e. Detroit this year).

One other area that they must fix is the BP. Even though Oki came back and looked like his old self in the playoffs, they essentially got by on him (Oki), Masterson and Papelbon. Lopez is a risk, Timlin is done and they lost faith in Delcarmen. The Rays were deep and it enabled them to do what they did last night.....use 4 guys in that one inning. We would not have been able to do that.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from schwank. Show schwank's posts

[Quote]i say we upgrade at short,and a name that can be had is Tulowitski,the kid could hold down ss for us and add depth to the lineup,we dont need Tex,Lowell will be back,and Lars is gonna be a beast![/Quote]

Lar's is 21? So he's got to be a couple years away. But it's good to see that we have a power hitter on the horizon.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from stomackit10452. Show stomackit10452's posts

Tulo is part of the Rockies' future. They actually signed him long term pretty cheap. I doubt they will trade him but if he's available here's a guy you trade the farm for. I would offer Clay for him.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from alexvanm. Show alexvanm's posts

LINEUP:
    I think that if possible then you acquire Holliday and sign Texeira. With them in the lineup you've got enough offense to carry Varitek. Looking at the 9 potential hitters with this being just one variation of an order, there is a lot of depth.

1. Ellsbury CF
    2. Pedroia 2B
    3. Ortiz DH
    4. Texeira 1B
    5. Holliday LF
    6. Youkilis 3B
    7. Drew RF
    8. Lowrie SS
    9. Varitek C

Say you lose Bay and a Bucholz type player for Holliday you can eat the contracts of Lowell (if Atkins is traded from Colorado who plays 3B for them?) and Lugo for prospects and rely on the usual Theo brilliance for bench players without even beginning to think of Coco.

ROTATION:

Lester
    Beckett
    Dice-K
    Free agent but not Sabathia, Burnett or Sheets
    Young arm and Wakefield/Byrd veteran innings eater type player

BULLPEN:

Delcarmen and Okajima are solid. Masterson and Papelbon are spectacular. Get a bit more depth in the FA market or through picking up prospects from Lugo/Lowell???? No way does Fuentes sign as understudy to Papelbon.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from tph2004. Show tph2004's posts

Tulo cant hit a high fastball why would we want that? I dont understand the coors hitters getting so much love from Boston . . . . .lets talk JJ Hardy who can be had.

As for Peavy, it is the same trade as Santana he is owed $75 to $90 Million so he aint cheap. I am all for trading Clay he is not going to be good here.

Sox know they need a bat, I somehow think there will be some big moves we dont expect.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

There is no way the sox trade for tulo. Lowrie will be our starting ss come opening day next season. I think that the sox will land peavy if they truely want him. Unlike santana i believe that they want him and would not just be trying to drive up the price for other teams. Also, unlike santana he is signed till 2012 at a reasonable price for a pitcher of his caliber and at 27 is i believe 3 years younger. Now from what i have heard the price for peavy is 2 young pitchers and an every day outfielder. I think a deal could look something like this:

San Diego gets:
    bowden
    bard
    crisp/kalish/reddick
    plus compensation for peavy coming to the AL.

Red Sox get:
    peavy
    greene(i know i said lowrie will be our starting ss but i think that this could happen as well)

Now when it comes to the FA front i think the sox should sign derek lowe.

Just Imagine what our rotation could look like:

beckett
    peavy
    lester
    matsuzaka
    lowe

Pen:
    Paps
    oki
    mdc
    masterson
    aardsma
    lopez(unfortunately)

Not sure who they could add, not much fa wise.

bench:
    kotsay
    cora
    lowrie(depending if greene is in the peavy deal)
    salty/teagarden(we trade buch for him)
    We will prob sign a couple of bench i would imagine.

Our line up will prob be the same with the exception of our starting ss. I wish we could get tex and use lowell as a util guy to back up youk and tex but i doubt that will happen. Let me know what u guys think.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pamola707. Show Pamola707's posts

red sox should sign fisk. tell me he couldn't hit higher than .220 and .088 in the regular and playoffs respectively.....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from marstan. Show marstan's posts

[Quote]i say we upgrade at short,and a name that can be had is Tulowitski,the kid could hold down ss for us and add depth to the lineup,we dont need Tex,Lowell will be back,and Lars is gonna be a beast![/Quote] THE TULOWITSKI ARGUMENT
    IS AS NONSENSICAL AS THE JOSH HAMILTON ARGUMENT. TULOWITSKI
    IS ONE OF THE COLORADO CENTERIECES OF THE FRANCHISE. NO WAY DO
    THEY TRADE HIM CHEAPLY...WOULD THE YANKEES TRADE JETER, WOULD
    THE DODGERS MOVE LONEY ? WOULD THE RAYS MOVE LONGORIA ??/
    THIS IS A SILLY CONJECTURE.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from marstan. Show marstan's posts

THE BOSTON PLAYERS I WOULD NOTLIKE TO SEE BACK ARE:
    1, WAKEFIELD 2, DEL CARMEN 3. KEVIN CASH 4, ALEX CORA
    5. MIKE TIMLIN 6, JAVIE LOPEZ 7. DAVID AARDSMA 8. SEAN CASEY

IT WOULD BE BENEFICIAL TO GET
    1 . A GOOD BAT [ SCARCE]
    2. A SOLID RELIEF PITCHER
    3. A YOUNGER CATCHER WHO CAN HIT .250+

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from marstan. Show marstan's posts

PLEASE TELL ME WHY WE NEED MANNY DEL CARMEN AND DAVID AARDSMA.
    THESE GUYS PUT GASOLINE ON THE FIRE. THEY DON'T HAVE TOUGH
    BIG GAME INSTINCTS. MDC JUST DOES NOT THROW STRIKES OFTEN
    ENUF. ONCE IN A GREAT WHILE HE HAS A QUALITY OUTING , BUT
    TOO MANY TIMES I HAVE SEEN HIM COME IN AT THE BEGINNING OF AN
    INNING , NIBBLE AT THE CORNERS AND END UP WALKING ONE OR TWO
    GUYS AND ALLOWING A KEY HIT TO LOSE THE GAME FOR US. MASTERSON
    HAS DONE THAT TOO, BUT MUCH LESS OFTEN. HE DOES NOT PLAY
    THE CORNERS AS MUCH AS MDC. AARDSMA JUST HAS ONE PITCH, A
    FAST BALL WITH SOME SLIGHT VARIATIONS. ONCE THE GOOD HITTERS
    SEE HIM THEY TIME HIM WELL. HE IS ALSO WILD AND WALKS GUYS.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from marstan. Show marstan's posts

[Quote]LINEUP:
    I think that if possible then you acquire Holliday and sign Texeira. With them in the lineup you've got enough offense to carry Varitek. Looking at the 9 potential hitters with this being just one variation of an order, there is a lot of depth.

1. Ellsbury CF
    2. Pedroia 2B
    3. Ortiz DH
    4. Texeira 1B
    5. Holliday LF
    6. Youkilis 3B
    7. Drew RF
    8. Lowrie SS
    9. Varitek C

Say you lose Bay and a Bucholz type player for Holliday you can eat the contracts of Lowell (if Atkins is traded from Colorado who plays 3B for them?) and Lugo for prospects and rely on the usual Theo brilliance for bench players without even beginning to think of Coco.

ROTATION:

Lester
    Beckett
    Dice-K
    Free agent but not Sabathia, Burnett or Sheets
    Young arm and Wakefield/Byrd veteran innings eater type player

BULLPEN:

Delcarmen and Okajima are solid. Masterson and Papelbon are spectacular. Get a bit more depth in the FA market or through picking up prospects from Lugo/Lowell???? No way does Fuentes sign as understudy to Papelbon.[/Quote]
    IF YOU THINK MDC IS "SOLID" YOU SHOULD SERIOUSLY THINK TWICE !!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

if you want an improved team on the field next year, then the first thing that must be done is to have a long talk with the present manager. they can't continue to allow him to fool them again. he needs to understand that winning is ALWAYS important!! if the front office doesn't know that sit & spit is a big problem, then there isn't much they can do to improve this team!! having to overcome his shortcomings is a burden the sox don't need!!! iknow all about how "he's" won 2 WS...he's won nothing, he is paid to manage this team!! he does not do that well!!! if firing him isn't an option then barring him from the dugout during games would improve this team's record by at least 10 games in the standings.......i don't hate the man, i strongly believe he is NOT a good field general!!! things might have been different this post season if the sox had homefield advantage....sit & spit made it clear that winning the division wasn't a priority.......utter nonsense!!!
    no team should continually have to WIN IN SPITE OF THE MANAGER ! ! !
    if he were paid a commission for every game winning decision he makes during a year and if he had to give back an equal amount for every poor decision he makes during the year.......he'd have been broke somewhere in the middle of 2004! ! ! !

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

if texiera becomes a member of this team next year, i wonder how long it would take youk to learn how to CATCH!!!!!!!
    he's a great fielding 1st baseman, a good fielding 3rd baseman and he can play the outfield!! he's a ballplayer, why not see if he can be a catcher????
    or if this kid lars anderson is just 21, why not put him behind the plate in the minors next year???
    good hitting catchers are hard to find...why not take a good hitter and try to convert him into a catcher??
    ?????????????????????

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BOSOX1941. Show BOSOX1941's posts

another thought i've had would be to move pedroia to SS and youk to 2nd base if tex is acquired??

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT93. Show BurritoT93's posts

I just solved the JUlio Lugo problem:

Trade him, and eat all the salry u have to. Keep Lowrie and a player similar to Cora for the next two seasons. With their low salaries, it will equate to (along with the Lugo salary u eat) to a reasonable price for SS. Then in two years you can go sign a big-time SS.

Lugo and his crappy play will be gone. Offensively you will not get much out of Lowrie, but you will get steady defense. Lowrie and Pedroia can grow together and anchor the infield defense.

If you eat Lugos salary now, and sign a big time SS, then you are indeed paying too much.

My scenerio is the best solution.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from billsrul. Show billsrul's posts

[Quote]I just solved the JUlio Lugo problem:

Trade him, and eat all the salry u have to. Keep Lowrie and a player similar to Cora for the next two seasons. With their low salaries, it will equate to (along with the Lugo salary u eat) to a reasonable price for SS. Then in two years you can go sign a big-time SS.

Lugo and his crappy play will be gone. Offensively you will not get much out of Lowrie, but you will get steady defense. Lowrie and Pedroia can grow together and anchor the infield defense.

If you eat Lugos salary now, and sign a big time SS, then you are indeed paying too much.

My scenerio is the best solution.[/Quote]

Why not let Lowrie start at SS, and have Lugo be a utility player (did this in 2006 with LAD),

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeffg316. Show jeffg316's posts

I don't think the rockies are looking to get rid of tulo. I would like them to go out and get peavy. Get some BP help. Resign tek, and draft a catcher. I think with everyone healthy we have a good line up especially with the rotation we would be bringing.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from MWGray. Show MWGray's posts

Starting Rotation
    SP - Beckett
    SP - Lester
    SP - Matsuzaka
    SP - Buchholz
    SP - Wakefield/Lowe
    Lineup
    CF - Ellsbury
    2B - Pedroia (Sign Long Term)
    DH - Ortiz
    LF - Bay
    1B - Youkilis
    RF - Drew
    3B - Lowell
    SS - Lowrie
    C - B. Molina
    Bench
    MIF - F. Lopez
    CIF - Carter
    OF - Kotsay
    C - Kottaras
    Bullpen
    CL - Papelbon
    SU - Masterson
    SU - Okijima
    MR - Delcarmen
    MR - Lopez
    MR - J. Affeldt
    Traded
    OF - Crisp
    SS - Lugo
    MR - Aardsma

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mammanaus. Show mammanaus's posts

projected 2009 line-up

ellsbury cf
    pedroia 2b
    ortiz dh
    texeria 1b
    youkilis 3b
    bay lf
    drew rf
    tek c
    lugo ss

starters
    beckett
    lester
    peavy
    dice-k
    burnett

pen
    paps
    oki
    mdc
    wakefield
    masterson
    and some other theo will pull out of nowhere

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from billsrul. Show billsrul's posts

Rotation:
    Beckett
    Lester
    Dice
    Wake
    Buchholz/Masterson/Bowden/Lowe (if he signs at like 3 yr. 30 mil, otherwise one of the young guys)

Bullpen:
    Papelbon
    Okajima
    Delcarmen
    Lopez (I guess, even though he's only a one-out guy)
    MR Free Agent (howry, Beimel, Juan Cruz, Ohman, etc.)
    Mop-up man who will get released once Bard gets called up
    LR/spot starter (innings-eater, doesn't even have to be a good pitcher really...)

Lineup:
    C Tek (at a 10-12 mil 2 yr deal, otherwise we sign a crappy FA)
    C Kottaras (we allow Kottaras to platoon with Tek this year; see if he works out or not as a C; meanwhile we trade one of the golden arms (Bowden, masterson, Bard, Buchholz) straight up for Bryan Anderson, a C in the Cards' system who is very good but blocked by Yadier Molina. Anderson remains in AAA while we look at Kottaras' skills...
    rest of lineup remains same as last year. Jacoby starts in center, with Coco being used as possible trade bait for a decent spot starter/long reliever or middle reliever. SS gets filled by Lowrie.

Bench:
    INF Lugo (he's doen this before)
    Backup C Tek/Kottaras
    1B/OF Bailey
    4th OF Crisp/Baldelli (or maybe Jason Michaels)

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

The Sox have too much invested in their pitching staff to let Tek go. To assume that Tek won't be able to hit next year would be wrong. I'm sure a bad year at the plate bothered him more than us. Look for Tek to come back next year and be a major contributor with the bat and glove.