1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rfcytb. Show rfcytb's posts

What move(s) would you like Theo to make by trading deadline?

We need a top notch, dependable 8th inning reliever to close the deal.  With Papi back the lineup gets longer and with the experience the sox have in the playoffs they have as good a shot as any to win again.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[Quote]We need a top notch, dependable 8th inning reliever to close the deal.  [/Quote]

What playoff team doesn't? And how much shuld the Sox be willing to trade to get one?  Brandon Moss probably won't get the job done.

And don't forget, not only is every team in the payoff hunt in need of bullpen help, but it is very unreliable.  Eric Gagne was a dependable bullpen arm from April through July last season...

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from martyfromhaz. Show martyfromhaz's posts

We definately need to shore up the middle relief.  I've seen too many leads blown by the relievers.  They have to throw strikes when they come in.  I also think they should look into the catcher situation.  Tek is washed up.  Can't hit or throw anyone out.  I'm sick and tired of people saying how good he handles the pitchers.  He has to start swinging the bat. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from FLACFAN. Show FLACFAN's posts

Trade CoCo for a reliever now while he still can catch.
    The Ellsbury experiment is over.  He is good enough and should only get better.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from sjddaj. Show sjddaj's posts

Although I do think he will be fine, I have more questions about Ellsbury now than I did at the begining of the season.

Has has a lot of SB's (we all knew how fast he was), but to consistantly handle major league pitching has been a little dissappointing.

If the Sox didn't want to trade Coco at the begining of the year when Ellsubury was on everyones "cloud nine", I would be surprised if they trade him now with Ellsbury hitting less than what was probably originally expected.

I wouldn't make any trades if I were the Sox.  Unless you are talking about a catcher for the future.   But, for this season I wouldn't do anything.   Maybe another arm in the pen if Masterson doesn't work well.  But, I would check that out first.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Carnob52. Show Carnob52's posts

Try and get Josh Willingham if the Marlins are willing to sell. If we can get Mahay for a cheap price get Mahay. I think a Jon Rauch or Brian Fuentes would be to expensive.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bapjmp. Show bapjmp's posts

Theo should do a package deal immediately with either the Tigers, the Dodgers, or the Cubs. Either of those clubs get to choose any one of our starting pitchers. In return we get that ballclubs manager, so we'll throw Francona into the deal also. Even if they choose to take Beckett and he wins 18 games this year, we'll still come out ahead because Francona will lose more than that in his lack of managerial prowness. I know all the kool-aid drinkers are going to use the "he won two world series". Think Phil Jackson and the Bulls. He supposedly doeas a reat job at keeping a good vibe going in the clubhouse, and that is important. But look at what he does on the field on a daily basis. He constantly puts his head in the sand when it's time to pull a pitcher, defensive positioning sometimes is amazingly puzzling, lack of any call making that may include a hit and run or a bunt, or when he chooses to do either it will be at a horrible time, having batter swing away on 0-2 or 0-3 counts when the opposing pitcher has thrown 6-7 balls in a row, the list goes on. Most people outside of New England can see he is the Mr. Magoo of managers. He will make bone headed decisions that cost runs only to be saved by amazing comebacks and late innings scrambles for runs, much like Mr. Magoo blindly walking out a window just as an I-beam happens to swing by for him to step on.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Captain313. Show Captain313's posts

[Quote]Theo should do a package deal immediately with either the Tigers, the Dodgers, or the Cubs. Either of those clubs get to choose any one of our starting pitchers. In return we get that ballclubs manager, so we'll throw Francona into the deal also. Even if they choose to take Beckett and he wins 18 games this year, we'll still come out ahead because Francona will lose more than that in his lack of managerial prowness. I know all the kool-aid drinkers are going to use the "he won two world series". Think Phil Jackson and the Bulls. He supposedly doeas a reat job at keeping a good vibe going in the clubhouse, and that is important. But look at what he does on the field on a daily basis. He constantly puts his head in the sand when it's time to pull a pitcher, defensive positioning sometimes is amazingly puzzling, lack of any call making that may include a hit and run or a bunt, or when he chooses to do either it will be at a horrible time, having batter swing away on 0-2 or 0-3 counts when the opposing pitcher has thrown 6-7 balls in a row, the list goes on. Most people outside of New England can see he is the Mr. Magoo of managers. He will make bone headed decisions that cost runs only to be saved by amazing comebacks and late innings scrambles for runs, much like Mr. Magoo blindly walking out a window just as an I-beam happens to swing by for him to step on.[/Quote]When it is a close game, you wonder how Francona is going to blow the game. He always seems to make the wrong move. They guaranteed this guy a long term contract so his stubbornness is more of a problem than ever now. Maybe dumping the manager would provide a spark - Francona is one of the worst managers in baseball. People realize this - when Francona doesn't get named manager of the year when the Sox win the World Series is basically saying that the Sox win in spite of Francona.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from marstan. Show marstan's posts

[Quote]khalil greene and damaso marte![/Quote] IT SOUNDS GOOD
    BUT WE WILL HAVE TO GIVE UP THE FARM TO GET THOSE GUYS,
    GREENE IS NOT THAT GOOD...AND MARTE IS 33....MAYBE WE
    CAN GIVE UP SOME MIDDLE LEVEL TALENT, BUT I FEAR THAT WE
    WILL HAVE TO GIVE UP SOME QUALITY TALENT TO GET MARTE
    AT LEAST  . PITTSBURG WILL NOT LET US HAVE HIM CHEAP...YOU
    CAN COUNT ON IT. THEY ARE REBUILDING AND WANT QUALITY
    ARMS LIKE BOWDEN AND MASTERSON.   GUYS LIKE MDC AND
    HANSEN WILL NOT GET IT DONE.  NOT EVEN BUCHHOLZ WILL GET
    IT DONE UNLESS WE THROW IN JACOBY. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from marstan. Show marstan's posts

[Quote]Theo should do a package deal immediately with either the Tigers, the Dodgers, or the Cubs. Either of those clubs get to choose any one of our starting pitchers. In return we get that ballclubs manager, so we'll throw Francona into the deal also. Even if they choose to take Beckett and he wins 18 games this year, we'll still come out ahead because Francona will lose more than that in his lack of managerial prowness. I know all the kool-aid drinkers are going to use the "he won two world series". Think Phil Jackson and the Bulls. He supposedly doeas a reat job at keeping a good vibe going in the clubhouse, and that is important. But look at what he does on the field on a daily basis. He constantly puts his head in the sand when it's time to pull a pitcher, defensive positioning sometimes is amazingly puzzling, lack of any call making that may include a hit and run or a bunt, or when he chooses to do either it will be at a horrible time, having batter swing away on 0-2 or 0-3 counts when the opposing pitcher has thrown 6-7 balls in a row, the list goes on. Most people outside of New England can see he is the Mr. Magoo of managers. He will make bone headed decisions that cost runs only to be saved by amazing comebacks and late innings scrambles for runs, much like Mr. Magoo blindly walking out a window just as an I-beam happens to swing by for him to step on.[/Quote] YOU HAVE SUMMED IT UP THE BEST OF ANY POSTS
    THIS MONTH.  JUST READ MY POSTS..AS MARSTAN..AND I
    SAY THE SAME THING AND GET RAKED OVER THE COALS BY
    THE LOYALISTS TO TERRY.  HE GOT LUCKY LAST YEAR AND
    CAUGHT LIGHTNING. EVERYONE PEAKED AT ONCE.  THIS
    YEAR, IT SHOWS WHAT A LOUSY FIELD MANAGER HE REALLY
    IS, AS YOU SAY; TERRY CAN'T HOLD SCIOSCIA'S JOCK AS A
    SITUATIONAL FIELD CHIEF.  U ARE CORRECT..HE PULLS 
    PITCHERS AT THE WRONG TIME, HE DOES NOT KNOW WHEN
    TO BUNT, WHICH COST US THE SATURDAY GAME, AND THE
    WHOLE TEAM IS UNINSPIRED.  WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME
    HE CAME OUT AND DID A "LOU PINIELLA  RANT" TO SPARK
    THE TEAM... NAH !!  IT'S EASIER TO SPIT PUMPKIN SEEDS IN
    THE DUGOUT AND SIT ON YOUR KEISTER,.  THAT'S WHAT FEEL
    GOOD TERRY IS ALL ABOUT.  MANNY TIRES  ME OUT AND SHOULD
    BE GONE.  HE IS A CANCER.  WE NEED A NEW SS, CATCHER,
    LEFT FIELDER AND MANAGER.  THANKS FOR YOUR POST,
    BAPJMP. CRITICISM LIKE YOURS IS GOOD FOR THE TEAM.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PaulRodgers. Show PaulRodgers's posts

rumor has sherril possibly being moved. expensive but could pay off long term. sherrill setting up pablebon (if he decides he doesn't need to close) could be a sure 8th and 9th. he hides the ball so well!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from OHSOX. Show OHSOX's posts

[Quote] YOU HAVE SUMMED IT UP THE BEST OF ANY POSTS
    THIS MONTH.  JUST READ MY POSTS..AS MARSTAN..AND I
    SAY THE SAME THING AND GET RAKED OVER THE COALS BY
    THE LOYALISTS TO TERRY.  HE GOT LUCKY LAST YEAR AND
    CAUGHT LIGHTNING. EVERYONE PEAKED AT ONCE.  THIS
    YEAR, IT SHOWS WHAT A LOUSY FIELD MANAGER HE REALLY
    IS, AS YOU SAY; TERRY CAN'T HOLD SCIOSCIA'S JOCK AS A
    SITUATIONAL FIELD CHIEF.  U ARE CORRECT..HE PULLS 
    PITCHERS AT THE WRONG TIME, HE DOES NOT KNOW WHEN
    TO BUNT, WHICH COST US THE SATURDAY GAME, AND THE
    WHOLE TEAM IS UNINSPIRED.  WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME
    HE CAME OUT AND DID A "LOU PINIELLA  RANT" TO SPARK
    THE TEAM... NAH !!  IT'S EASIER TO SPIT PUMPKIN SEEDS IN
    THE DUGOUT AND SIT ON YOUR KEISTER,.  THAT'S WHAT FEEL
    GOOD TERRY IS ALL ABOUT.  MANNY TIRES  ME OUT AND SHOULD
    BE GONE.  HE IS A CANCER.  WE NEED A NEW SS, CATCHER,
    LEFT FIELDER AND MANAGER.  THANKS FOR YOUR POST,
    BAPJMP. CRITICISM LIKE YOURS IS GOOD FOR THE TEAM.
    [/Quote]

Great Post;

Scioscia knows how to win...  Terry's drugs are probably affecting his rationale thinking when it comes to small ball.. (Not intended to be disrespectful of his ailing body)

We've got the team to play small ball this year, but he's not doing it.., especially on the road..

He ought to have Ellsbury bunting to get on, maybe that will help his confidence.  He's not really making much contact at all, especially on the road..

I like Manny's bat, but not for $20M, plus what he still will be paid by the Sox when he leaves town..  He's a punk, and needs to shut his mouth, and play for the team..  His antics are unprofessional, and self-centered.  He and Lobell ought to both be shipped out of town...

I don't care if we win this year, but get the kinks worked out so that we can get back on the winning ways again next year.  For as up and down the entire AL is this year, the Sox may just pull it out to get to the playoffs, but not beyond.

We need a catcher for the future, and I agree that Tek's better days are behind him.  I wouldn't give him an extended deal to stay in town, he's not woth it.  I've never understood why he gets all of the accolades when the pitching staff does well, but never hears anything when they stink up the house...  He seems to be the one calling most the pitches... 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from ScreamingBreeze. Show ScreamingBreeze's posts

It doesn't look like it's going to happen this year.  After Dice K and Beckett, there's no rotation.  After Paps, there's no pen.  The return later this week of an aging slugger who can't run (at all), can't be used defensively and is far from a sure bet to hi8t ... is no answer.  Manny is about due to become whatever passes for injured again ... he doesn't play through the season.  Lugo, Crisp?  Hah!  Tek is done.

It's time to trade by the busful.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NapaCab. Show NapaCab's posts

Morrow from Seattle is my choice....even-up for Coco.  This is a last place team that would probably deal.  Watch him in this upcoming series and eat your heart out.  He's the stud DelCarmen thinks he is.  (This, of course, presupposes Boston scores somewhere along the way and the Mariners need a reliever against the Sox)

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from NapaCab. Show NapaCab's posts

The Angel's catchers have caught 22% of attempted steals this season.  They have allowed 28 straight steals.  Coco is 85% over two years and Ellsbury leads the majorsin SB!  Francona left the runners on base, not Pedroia and Drew.  We should have gone up 4-2 on Pedroia's double tonite. I'm waiting for the too-polite Joe Morgan to call Terry out on this.  McCarver does it all the time and he is right.  Francona is the worst manager of the tools in his possession and game situations I can remember....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from badgealbert. Show badgealbert's posts

[Quote]Trade CoCo for a reliever now while he still can catch.
    The Ellsbury experiment is over.  He is good enough and should only get better.[/Quote]
    WHERE WILL YOU FIND A GOOD RELIEVER FOR COCO??? HIGH SCHOOL OR LITTLE LEAGUE ,WHO TO HELL ELSE WOULD WANT HIM. I WOULD INCLUDE FRANCOMA ,BUT I DOUBT  EITHER LITTLE LEAGUE OR HIGH SCHOOL TEAMS WOULD WANT HIM EITHER

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[Quote]Morrow from Seattle is my choice....even-up for Coco.  This is a last place team that would probably deal.  Watch him in this upcoming series and eat your heart out.  He's the stud DelCarmen thinks he is.  (This, of course, presupposes Boston scores somewhere along the way and the Mariners need a reliever against the Sox)[/Quote]

Why would a last-place team want to trade one of its top young pitchers (a former first-round pick) for a disappointing outfielder who is owed about $8 million through 2009?

The Seattle Mariners could get similar production from Jeremy Reed or Willie Bloomquist at a fraction of the Coco Crisp's cost. Brandon Morrow earns near the league minimum and remains under his team's control through the 2012 season.

The Red Sox would not trade Justin Masterson for Jose Vidro and the Mariners won't trade Brandon Morrow for Coco Crisp.*

* despite their injuries, Vidro had a higher Elias ranking than Crisp for the two seasons spanning 2006 and 2007. The Elias rankings do not take into account Crisp's far superior defensive skills.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/al/2007-10-31-elias-rankings-complete_N.htm

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from tph2004. Show tph2004's posts

[Quote]Great Post;

Scioscia knows how to win...  Terry's drugs are probably affecting his rationale thinking when it comes to small ball.. (Not intended to be disrespectful of his ailing body)

We've got the team to play small ball this year, but he's not doing it.., especially on the road..

He ought to have Ellsbury bunting to get on, maybe that will help his confidence.  He's not really making much contact at all, especially on the road..

I like Manny's bat, but not for $20M, plus what he still will be paid by the Sox when he leaves town..  He's a punk, and needs to shut his mouth, and play for the team..  His antics are unprofessional, and self-centered.  He and Lobell ought to both be shipped out of town...

I don't care if we win this year, but get the kinks worked out so that we can get back on the winning ways again next year.  For as up and down the entire AL is this year, the Sox may just pull it out to get to the playoffs, but not beyond.

We need a catcher for the future, and I agree that Tek's better days are behind him.  I wouldn't give him an extended deal to stay in town, he's not woth it.  I've never understood why he gets all of the accolades when the pitching staff does well, but never hears anything when they stink up the house...  He seems to be the one calling most the pitches... [/Quote]

Yup and Sociscia the great manager has not won a WS Title since 2002 and lost all 6 games vs Tito's Red Sox in two series vs Angels . . .but he is clearly the better manager. Please.  

How about Joe Torre won what one manager of the year but won 4 titles in 5 years? It is a award for surprises.

You can not blame Tito for injuries and lack of performance.
    His loyalty to players allowed the Sox to win two titles not alot of guys could pull off 0-3 in ALCS vs NY.

As I see it:

Drew, Pedroia, Wakefield, Youk, Lowell, Lester and Dice K are the only players perfroming at a expected level or above. 7 out of 25 not great. Papelbon is close but he too has blown more saves then all of last year. Manny is not a consistant player now either.

This season is clearly a transition year, look at what they are doing adding Bucholtz (who has looked bad), Lester, Masterson, Elsbury, Moss, Hansen onto team in full time rolls . . . . .there offense is streaky and other then the starting pitching not much has been consistant.

BTW ~ why in good god would Seattle trade Morrow? OR baltimore Sherrill?

With all this said they are in the hunt, it is clear they need a shortstop solution for a month or two and the bullpen, I am not in favor of a trade unless it brings back a guy with several year track record that could be help onto for a few years. My guess is some guys from the minors will get some run and see hwat happens.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mascmen7. Show mascmen7's posts

Trade Francona, Ellsbury, Lugo, Crisp, Varitek to Angels for Mike Sciosa. He knows how to win with nothing while our riches bring sweeps by opponents. Papelbon is overrated.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxpride34. Show redsoxpride34's posts

Here is how i see it:

biggest needs - catcher and bullpen (new gm & manager are gettin up there)

Solutions: catcher - texas has a ton of catchers salty, laird, teagarden, ramirez. Teagarden hit his first homer today and laird is coming back soon plus they have max ramirez who aint that bad either. So please explain to me why we cannot get salty from them??? They need pitching and we have bowden, masterson, bard, zink, etc. So it should not be too hard to make a deal. Theo has to realize that we do not need to hold on to all our prospects when we have a surplus of prospects at a certain position and we have needs to address.

As for bp i think that marte for the right price would work but i would prefer sherill because he has already pitched in the AL and is younger and was a set up man in seattle so he probably would not have a problem with going back to that role. Fuentes would be good too but the price is too high from what i hear and he is not AL proven also he wants to be a closer for whichever team gets him.

If we can remedy these problems at deadline it will allow us focus more on other things in the offseason such as replacing manny cuz i doubt that they are going to pay him 20 mill at his age when they could give that to tex who could probably play LF if they let manny go. I would love to see them get sheets if wake retires or buchholz cant get his act together.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from joe301. Show joe301's posts

Damn this thread has it all, from crazy fantasy trades to Francona bashing lol.  Reality is, this team has been inconsistent all season long, and really hasn't hit its stride yet.  The talent is defintely there, as we have gotten improved production this season from LF, CF, RF, 2B, and 1B this season offensively, and Lowell has been about the same.  What the team lacks is the big hit, and if Ortiz is 100%, expect the offense to put up some huge numbers like last season.  The main problem with the pitching has been the  walks.   It is so frustrating seeing these guys come in, especially out of the pen, and walk the leadoff guy or fall behind in the count right off the bat.   And to top that, the D isn't coming through either, as  we have given up almost as many unearned runs right now as we did all last season.   To me, the main objective has to be  "in house" as in trying to get these relief pitchers, and starters Lester and Matsuzaka, to pitch to contact more instead of always looking for the perfect pitch for the K.
    For the front office, the SS position has to be the number one cause for concern, and a suitable defense man has to be the priority .  Agreeing with previous posters, a deal with Pittsburgh for Jack Wilson and Damaso Marte would be a huge lift to this team.   I think a deal with Hansen and Lowrie, and maybe a lower leve l prospect could satisfy the Pirates giving them two MLB-ready players and unloading salary in Wilson.  He is probably equal to Lugo with the stick, but hitting .300 with runners in scoring position, so a much better clutch guy , and  a huge upgrade at SS.  It would leave the Sox with two SS under contract for next year, but hopefully either Lugo would be  traded or moved to a bench role (too expenive for the bench, but too poor to start, no win situation there unfortunately)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from joe301. Show joe301's posts

One more point, one guy who has escaped criticism is ace Beckett, he is  below his 2007 numbers, a mystery there (seems to have one bad inning per start).  No trade or rookie is going to make up for that, they need his A-game every fifth day.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from woobie2. Show woobie2's posts

[Quote]One more point, one guy who has escaped criticism is ace Beckett, he is  below his 2007 numbers, a mystery there (seems to have one bad inning per start).  No trade or rookie is going to make up for that, they need his A-game every fifth day.[/Quote]

Good thoughts, Joe.  Beckett has been somewhat of a disappointment this year, tho' he can at least give us 7 innings and keep it close.  It's Delcarmen who is killing us - for all his great "stuff" he is miserable with the game on the line (last night is the most recent example) and Hansen's "deer in the headlights" look is old now.  Poor Oki just can't find it this year.  As I said months ago, this pen stinks to high heaven. 

We are married to Lugo..  no one would be foolish enough to take him off our hands for the next 3 years, even if we paid 90% of his salary.  His defense is sub par.  Give Lowrie a chance and with Papi back, maybe we can afford to let Lowrie find his way.  But this pen will kill us in the next month if Inepstein doesn't do something real fast, and if it means parting with a few of his many prospects, he's going to have to do it.  I welcome Masterson, but we need more than that at this point.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigfoot14b. Show bigfoot14b's posts

Hmmmm....

Last time I saw David Ortiz I don't think he could pitch, play shortstop or serve as a competent general manager.  He's a nice guy who was batting around .250 with a couple of homers.

After he returns I believe the Dead Sox will continue their slide to third place where they will utlimately finish the season, watching the the pathetic NY Yankees battle the Devil Dawgs for the AL East title. 

Tampa wins the division by a game over New York.  Red Sox finish 5 games back in third place.  Red Sox Nation screams for Francona's scalp.  Manny walks.... 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from cpjohn1. Show cpjohn1's posts

Things I'd like to see happen:

1. Shortstop (If Lowery does ok, don't give Lugo his job back). If not, trade for someone and still don't give Lugo his job back.

2.  Middle relief.  Delcarmen stinks in pressure situations.  Hanson and Timlin is not reliable either. Not sure what you're going to get from Oki and Papelbon is very hittable this year.

3. Catcher.  Get a young catcher in here for Tek to start grooming right away.  I really don't want the Sox to have to give Tek a 3-4 year deal because they couldn't find a replacement.

4.  Get Ellsbury out of the leadoff spot until he shows some life.  He's killing the offense by being an automatic out at the top of the lineup.

5.  Get Buccholz out of the rotation when Colon returns.  Maybe turn him into a reliever as well. I have no idea why Francona started the 2nd half off with Buccholz.  You want to start the second half off right, but Buccholz has been an automatic loss lately.  The last person to start of the 2nd half of the season with was Buccholz.

I don't really have a lot of ideas on who could fill in in these areas.  I just think these are the things that need addressing.

Sections
Shortcuts