1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tph2004. Show tph2004's posts

What player had the greatest season in a RS uniform?

Where is Nomar? A Short Stop who drives in 122 runs bat's .372, .356, first RH batter to lead league twice in BA in a row, highest RH BA since Dimaggio right? A yankee guy should know that and tops 80 EXBH 3 times, never batted below 300 in a full season for Sox.

He has atleast 3 of the top 50 season's. You lose all credibility without him. Mike Lowells 2007 was perhaps maybe the best overall year by a thirdbaseman in the history of the Sox. Bogg's 87 24 homeruns, .357 Avg aside. Lowell drove 120 a record, batted .324, scored only 79 runs with a handful of automatic outs behind him and slugged .501 and played golden glove thirdbase.  

As good as pedro was in 2000 hard to over look the last 400 hitter in the game.

Tris Speaker had some great years too in 1912 and 1913.

Mo Vaughn, look at greatest single season and he is up there 96,98,95 . . . .

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from gazzzmann. Show gazzzmann's posts

Swap 1 and 2

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxkillme. Show soxkillme's posts

No Nomah? I agree with tph. Its sad how so few realize Nomah was one of the best if not the best sox evah!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rudy99. Show Rudy99's posts

Obviously whoever made this list just looked at players overall stats for each year. Anyone who watched Jim Rice in '78 and remembered  what he did that year would put him in at least the top 10 ... top 5 maybe.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from tph2004. Show tph2004's posts

[Quote]While I agree that Nomar was a great player for us.....to even insinuate that he COULD be considered  one of the  best  ever Sox is wrong and an insult to players like  Yaz, Ted, Foxx, Rice,  etc.....[/Quote]

This was about best single seasons, by far he had the best seasons ever by a shortstop swinging the stick. Petrocelli did hit 40 home runs but Nomar had the 4th highest BA in a season in the history of the Red Sox. He also is the only RH batter to league the league in consectutive years since Dimaggio I believe. He is 4th all time with a .323 CAREER BA with the Sox, Rice hit .298. . . . 

In 2000~ He hit .372, .434 OBP, scored 104 runs drove in 96, 56 doubles, 21 Homeruns .599 slugging pct in 140 games. In 1999, .357 BA, 418 OBP, .603 Slugging, 42 Doubles 27 Homeruns, 103 runs, 104 RBI's. in 135 Games. Your going to be hard pressed to find to many better overall seasons by a shortstop not named A Rod then these two. HOF Cal Ripken had .276 career BA, .340 OBP, 447 slugging. Drove in 100 RBI's 4 TIMES, 30 homeruns once. Batter over 300 5 times and once in 86 games. In 1991 his best Season .323, .373 OB, .566 slugging isnt top 3 for Nomar.

In 1969 Petrocelli hits 40 homeruns, and he hit .297 with 98 RBI's and .589 slugging and .403 OBP, home runs aside Nomar had better years. He also had GREAT 2003, 1997, 1998 this guy was a machine. His career OPS with the Red Sox .923 5th all time with the team. Rice does not make the top 10. 

Honestly at short there really is no one else even close to Nomar. Look up his stats you wont even believe how good the grumpy dude was. Until his injuries he was Cooperstown bound.

Nomar's stats are better then Rice's. I see it the other way to lump Rice in with them is a insult. Rice is not a HOF player like the guys you mentioned. Rice is the 4th best LF in Sox History behind 3 HOF's and Nomar in a Secritarier (spelling whatever) type and wins the race by 30 lengths and it was not even that close.  

Honestly, if you were to take the top 25 Red Sox to make a team 14 players 11 pitchers or 15 and 10 Rice is not on it.  

Here at Nomar's career numbers.
    .315 BA .364 OBP .525 Slugging. 7 20 HR season's, 4 100 RBI Season's.

Derek Jeter career stats
    .316 BA .387 OBP .460 Slugging, 3 20 homerun seasons, 1 100 RBI Seasons.

Jeter's best 2 BA Seasons .343 and .349 which would rank 3rd against Nomar's two best.

To give you some prospective of how good he was. All this with a few horrible injury riddled years.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jaycoach. Show jaycoach's posts

[Quote]Lowe's 21 W's and no-no in '02 was preety good for a Bo'Sox pitcher(and no CY)...tough choices NYYFRGL...

Yaz's Triple Crown and Ted's .406 year for hitters are tops with me.
    [/Quote]

Williams won the Triple Crown TWICE ('42 and '47)!  The one in 1942 was with numbers even better than Yaz's.

Williams            BA        OBP          SLG
                             .356        .499           .648

Yaz                   .326        .418           .622 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kinchow. Show Kinchow's posts

[Quote]Walt Dropo 1950 Rookie 1ST baseman .322 34 hrs 144 RBIs.
    Vern Stephens 1949 SS .290 39 hrs 159 RBIs[/Quote]

My vote goes to 2006 David Ortiz.  Most HRs by a RedSox ever in one season and SOOO CLUTCH!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from krismk. Show krismk's posts

How does the 1978 Co-MVP end up 39th?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from krismk. Show krismk's posts

And for that matter, where is the 1995 MVP?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from krismk. Show krismk's posts

Good God! #27? The Natural before there was a Natural?  MVP and ROY? 27th?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbirdfrank. Show tbirdfrank's posts

[Quote]Good God! #27? The Natural before there was a Natural?  MVP and ROY? 27th?[/Quote]

Yup, that is ridiculous. F Lynn in '75 was as good a baseball player as you could hope to ever see. At the plate, in the field, calm and deadly.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JoeLahoud. Show JoeLahoud's posts

I agree, Yaz in '67. Carried that team on his back. Last triple crown winner. Check his numbers. He was baseball, at least offensively that season.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jam789123. Show jam789123's posts

What about Dave Roberts 2004.  Here is his stat line:

One awfully huge stolen base.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from my3sense. Show my3sense's posts

Although I realize one of baseball's great appeals is all the numbers one can attach to it, it's gotten more than a little ridiculous.  E.g., Pedro lost 6 games in 2000, fully 25% of his decisions!  The point is to win the games, not to bulk your numbers.
    On the other hand, Yaz's numbers in 1967, gaudy though they may be, understate what he did for that team.  I'm not a particular Yaz fan; in fact, take away that season and I'd call him a marginal hall of famer, but he carried that team to the pennant.  In the grand scheme of things, timely performance and leadership are much more important than numbes in a stat book.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from tph2004. Show tph2004's posts

Lynn .331 with 47 Doubles, 21 Homeruns was great and he was Gold Glove in CF his .967 OPS and 1979 he was actually better. . . . .as for 27th, ect I still say Nomar playing the most difficult position had atleast 3 better seasons. Even without the hardware. Nomar had atleast one top ten season, maybe two and should have 3 to 4 on this list.

Vern Stephens also had a few great season at Short . . .not mentioned.

If Roberts makes it Millar drew the walk? How about Billy Mueller's hit? Lets also add Belhorn and his 3 homers in 3 straight post season games and lets toss in Tom Gordon for pucking in BP LOL.   

How about the All Time starting 9:

DH ~ Ortiz 2007
    1B ~ Foxx 1938 or 39
    2B ~ Doerr 1944
    3B ~ Boggs 1987
    SS ~ Nomar 2000
    C  ~  Fisk 77
    RF ~ Williams (yes played RF too) 1941 (nixons 03 was also a great season, 986 OPS and Evans also 986 OPS in 87)
    CF ~ Lynn 1979/ you could go Tris Speaker here too in 1912 or 1913
    LF ~  YAZ 67

Starers:
    Ruth
    Pedro
    Clemens
    Hughson
    Wood

Closers:
    Radatz and Pap

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ME. Show ME's posts

#1 has to be Yaz. It's not just the numbers - it's that he carried that team and consistently came up with the big play (offensively and defensively) for that team.

#2 has to be Pedro. Simply dominant - on a level with Koufax.

#3 is Williams in 1941.

The rest - come on, Rice should be way up there, as should Lynn.
    Nomar? No way - way overrated. Derek Lowe shouldn't even be listed...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from tph2004. Show tph2004's posts

[Quote]

#1 has to be Yaz. It's not just the numbers - it's that he carried that team and consistently came up with the big play (offensively and defensively) for that team.

#2 has to be Pedro. Simply dominant - on a level with Koufax.

#3 is Williams in 1941.

The rest - come on, Rice should be way up there, as should Lynn.
    Nomar? No way - way overrated. Derek Lowe shouldn't even be listed...

[/Quote]

Nomar over rated, are you serious . . .you want to place 1967 Yaz ahead of .406 Williams? You never saw Ted I assume , we are talking about the PLAYER OF THE DECADE. Williams won two triple crowns, I never seen the 67 Yaz that was 40 years ago, his OPS a great 1.040 . . .Ted William's career OPS 1.116 his worst year was 1.036 OPS. 

Williams vs 1941 league  Dif
    BA   406            278              128
    SLG 735            410              325              
    OBP 553           355               198

Yaz      vs 1967 league
    BA     326          253             73
    SLG   622          379             245
    OBP  418          323             95

Yaz 67 was great but the numbers are lopsided.

Rice's 78 was not as good as two Nomar seasons I beg you to look at the numbers. Nomar had a career .923 OPS Rice had two seasons in his career better then Nomar's Career OPS.

Secondly, someone points out Pedro lost 25% of his starts the guy had a 1.74 ERA when the league ERA was 5.07. that is a MLB record. If there is something that how over powering you are there it is. How about in his entire 6 loss's he had a whopping 2.44 ERA and in his wins a .085. If he pitched like this in 03 or 04 he would of been undeafted with the Sox Offense. In 1999 he was 23-4 . . .with a 2.04 ERA when the league had a 5.02 ERA .in his four loss's in 99 he had a monster 3.86 ERA . . .he was incredible. Dont hate on one of the best pitchers in the history of the game and during his two seasons which compare to the greatest of all time.

Sections
Shortcuts