1. You have chosen to ignore posts from woobie2. Show woobie2's posts

What to do with Wily Mo

Oh no, he won't go. Mr. .197 has a little bit of an ego, according to a few quotes I am reading in the local papers. I can't see him taking one for the team. They have to just cut him now, swallow the $1 million or so he has left and get anybody to take his place on the bench. His inability to hit, field, run is hamstringing this team. We have absolutely NO backup on the bench, although I wouldn't mind seeing Hinske playing a bit more but somehow he is not one of the manager's fair haired boys and thus sees very little playing time.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from eric6675. Show eric6675's posts

What to do with Wily Mo

Perhaps if the Sox were to call the local Dunkin Donuts they may be able to trade Willy Mo for some stale donuts and burnt coffee.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

What to do with Wily Mo

I think it's time to get him a ticket on the same bus that hauled Pineiro out of town. As a matter of fact they ought to make room for Hinske too!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from schwank. Show schwank's posts

What to do with Wily Mo

It's a no brainer If I was KC and the RS. (WMP for Saunders) We get a guy for the rest of the year. do this now!!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mandrake. Show mandrake's posts

What to do with Wily Mo

Dumbest acquistion ever!

Tell me, why would the geniuses upstairs trade a freaking starting pitcher (never mind that "he won't start for us", he was a starting pticher. If you buy a new car, do you give away your old car because you don't need it now?) for a DH who strikes out all the time.

Yeah, he had potential, right. His upside was as a DH and Sox have the best DH already. Play him in left field where there are no triples? Sorry, thats taken. Center field? You must be kidding. Right field? The most dangerous outfield position in the AL? Puhleeze.

idiotic acquisition from day one. Sox only prayer is to turn him into something when he is traded.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from lnmonster. Show lnmonster's posts

What to do with Wily Mo

Choices:
    - cut him
    - trade him for whatever you can get
    - sign him to a BIG extension, way beyond his worth, then put him on waivers (which he would clear because no one would want him for big money) and send him down to the Pawsox for however long it takes.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from yaztremski. Show yaztremski's posts

What to do with Wily Mo

I think like this you have 3 choices:

1. Trade him I dont know for a good pitcher like Dontrelle Willis only prospects and money but its an option.

2. Cut him and get a good free agent.

3. Send him to AAA Pawtucket and move up someone like Jacob Ellsbury or Brandon Moss.

Either Whay the Yankees will not catch us

Go SOX

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from lquintin. Show lquintin's posts

What to do with Wily Mo

1. make him Theo's personal chauffeur.

2. Trade him to Atlanta for Rentaria.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mtalinm. Show mtalinm's posts

What to do with Wily Mo

Glad to know all you WMP-haters are better judges of baseball talent than David Ortiz, who is quite bullish on him: http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2007/07/26/fresh_start_is_peas_biggest_potential/

When he plays every day he'll do great, just like last year when he batted .301 and had the third-highest OPS on the team behind Manny and Papi. I hope Wily Mo gets traded to the Devil Rays or similar bottom-feeder so he can start at 1B or DH.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from woobie2. Show woobie2's posts

What to do with Wily Mo

NO ONE on the team is going to bad mouth a fellow player.... most especially Ortiz.

WMP is a waste of space but more importantly, deprives this team of ANY ammunition in the late innings. It sickens me that he sits his rump on the bench every night when the front office should swallow their pride, DFA Willie Blow, and either pick up a player who can hit a ball and actually play the field, or bring up Ellsbury to do so.

WMP couldn't hit a beach ball thrown by his mother at this point. We have been playing with a 24 man roster since the day he signed with us (1 1/2 years and counting). For the love of god, dump this baffoon!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from william93063. Show william93063's posts

What to do with Wily Mo

They probably could have gotten something for him in the offseason, but he is having such a miserable year at the plate and in the field that his trade value is very low right now. I like your idea of getting him to Pawtucket with a phantom injury. He needs regular playing time with regular ABs so he can find his stroke again. Until and unless that happens I'm afraid the Sox have him for the forseeable future. We have 2 wasted roster spots with him and Mirabelli unfortunately.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mtalinm. Show mtalinm's posts

What to do with Wily Mo

thanks DirtyWaterLover for an intelligent post.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from seageral. Show seageral's posts

What to do with Wily Mo

willie mo would/will be fine if he coudl get some playing time. you guys biatching about him are probably teh same guys who were disappointed we got rid of damon for crisp. you can't judge the guy from the amount of pt he's getting, just like you can't judge a four year contract after the first 3 months.

I don't hear anyone congratulating theo for not signing pedro after they complained abou tnot signing him... WMP is going to be a great player - booing the guy when he's on your team is one of the most asinine activities imaginable.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from sapblatt. Show sapblatt's posts

What to do with Wily Mo

Get rid of him - he is not a contributor - we want to win it all, he does not fit in as he is not a good player.

Just don't get Adam Dunn - there is another guys who strikes out way too much...

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from uncool926. Show uncool926's posts

What to do with Wily Mo

sapblatt,

I agree, Wily Mo is no help for the Red Sox. I remember when he came here with the Reds a couple of years ago and tried to play RF. He dropped one fly ball into the stands for a Red Sox home run and lost another ball as it made its way around the wall and it ended up as a triple.

He could do the best for the Red Sox by playing for the other team...

by the way, lunch was good, but some day we gotta go to Sam La Grassa's...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mkap1234. Show mkap1234's posts

What to do with Wily Mo

What should upset fans is that the Sox could have given David Wells instead of Bronson Arroya for Pena. They were given the choice at that point.

But, that mistake does not mean they should give up on him. As Big Papi says, he needs playing time. Back before the current whiney era, someone in his position would go down to AAA and get his timing back. Now they can afford to hire a batting coach just for him.

That's what the Sox should do. Learn how to manage him and the investment will payoff in huge dividends as Papi says. He may turn out to be a 50 home run hitter.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dkonicki2k. Show dkonicki2k's posts

What to do with Wily Mo

WMPs struggling because the Red Sox signed JD Drew and thus took away the ONLY opening in the field that we had to place him. He was acquired because he DOES have the potential to be a very good every day player, but that's not going to happen while he's sitting on the bench and only getting a handful of ABs per week (if he's lucky). Some guys can come off the bench and produce as a pinch hitter/once a week fill-in, some can't, and WMP is obviously the later.

What the Red Sox should have done with him was give him a shot as the starting right fielder this year and see what happens instead of getting Drew. When WMP played regularly last year he was hitting for average and power (11 HRs and 28 extra base hits in just 276 ABs) and played pretty good defense. The worst thing that could have happened if he did go bust is you either sit him for Hinske, who was an everyday player in Tornoto before we got him, or you make a trade NOW for a quality veteran on a team going nowhere. He needs to be given a chance as an everyday player before he can be written off, period.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from brenndino. Show brenndino's posts

What to do with Wily Mo

It's too bad. I really believe that Wily Mo is going to be one heck of a hitter at some point. He is young and strong. It's understandable that he has lost confidence. He never gets regular playing time with the Sox. This makes him rusty and drains his confidence.
    He will go to some NL team and smash the ball. Trust me, in 2 years he will be a monster at the plate . .
    I like him and want to see him do well. Unfortunately, I won't get to see Wily Mo do well in a Sox uniform.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from pdubs. Show pdubs's posts

What to do with Wily Mo

Seriously, willy mo hit over .300 last year. They promised him 400 at bats this year, but that obviously isnt going to happen. I think we can all agree he doesnt belong in right field, but theres no reason to be so hard on him. Given the chance, hes going to develop into a great player, and I would rather keep him thean Hinske any day. I for one hope we keep him, as we can afford to right now with the depth of the roster.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from brenndino. Show brenndino's posts

What to do with Wily Mo

I'm not being hard on him. I like the guy and hate to see him go (if he does). I think he has a lot of promise and will be a good ball player in the near future. People in this town trash players . . it's ridiculous.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mascmen7. Show mascmen7's posts

What to do with Wily Mo

Theo needs to admit his mistake and put Wily Mo Pena on waivers and if noone claims him, then release him. Has anyone noticed that our own Carlos Pena of last year with sox has hit 23 home runs and is batting .323 last time I looked. Big Theo mistake again.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from craig2174. Show craig2174's posts

What to do with Wily Mo

I say start him over Drew he would be more productive for sure. Oh wait then Theo would have to admit he screwed up, so that will never happen

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from joeyama99. Show joeyama99's posts

What to do with Wily Mo

Just want to congratulate Wily Mo on his great performance tonight. I am happy for him. Despite all the hatred and racist comments directed toward him by some so-called fans, he's continued to work hard and, maybe, he can finally turn it around to be a solid contributor. If he ends up elsewhere, I wish him well with his new team.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

What to do with Wily Mo

The best thing that we could do with Wily Mo is deal him for another top prospect who hasn't panned out, and both teams could dream a little dream...

Think we can Rick Ankiel or Kyle Sleeth for him?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mtalinm. Show mtalinm's posts

What to do with Wily Mo

I wonder whether the Drew trade was forced by Lucchino.

Sections
Shortcuts