1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BLRob. Show BLRob's posts

What's a catcher worth to you?

The Sox are talking to Varitek, but if they can't agree on a deal, what trade would you be willing to make to add another catcher to the roster?

Sources say Michael Bowden and Daniel Bard are on the table...
    The Bottom Line takes a look at the three pitching prospects that appear to be on the radar, as well as the three young catchers the Sox are eyeing.

Click over and tell us what deal you would make.

Personally, I hope they keep the kids and re-sign Tek. With Wake and Smoltz halfway to retiremnet and Penny a big ?? - The Sox will be needing Bucky, Bowden and others very soon...

The Bottom Line - A Red Sox blog

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ufcchamp. Show ufcchamp's posts

Ditto...keep the prospects. No pitchers for catchers. Tek is solid defensively, computer-like baseball brain...but it would have been nice to upgrade the offense a little more to absorb his weakening bat. But in the end a blue-chip pitcher should be worth way more than a supposedly blue-chip catcher.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

I'm not sure Bard is in play right now -- not if Papelbon follows through with wanting to be the top paid closer in baseball in a couple of years, as I think he is being groomed as the closer of the future now.

I think they move Buccholz or Bowden before Bard but not for a prospect catcher -- but in a deal for an experienced one. On the other hand, Bard could be included in a deal if a Mauer or Russell were on the other end.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Please explain what "halfway to retirement" is supposed to mean.

I would say a 42 year old pitcher is much more than halfway to retirement. But he could certainly give you one good season.

As far as value , a good catcher is a must. Problem is there are darn few out there right now At least that anyone is parting with.

I would resign Varitek and hope his lack of offense was just an off year.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

I'd trade top tired prospects ONLY for a stud catcher. The problem is most teams lucky enough to have one don't want to part with them-unless you're willing to knock them off their feet. I'm not sold on Saltalamachia or Teagarden. Bard may well be more than just a back-up guy for us. He's got a decent stick and is an average defender. He just can't catch Wakefield...but maybe Kottaras can. In short, I'd only trade top 1st+2nd tiered prospects on a stud catcher. Barring that I'd go with Bard.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

I would prefer we keep all three and sign Varitek or Zaun.

However, if I were forced to vote, I would vote for letting Bard go. He has a great arm, but our bullpen has as good depth in it as it has in recent memory. Starters are much more important, as 3 of our starters in this year's plan may not be here next year (Penny, Smoltz, and Wakefield). So, it just seems to me that hanging on to good young starters is more valuable to the team than taking a chance on any of these 3 guys.

If it is true that Teagarden is better than Saltalamacchia on defense, and Teagarden has more power, I would prefer Teagarden. Montero just does not excite me. I'd take my chances with one or two of Kottaras, Brown, Wagner and Exposito making it as far as Montero.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dano50. Show dano50's posts

You must give up a lot to get top quality. That's why they are reluctant to pull the trigger. I would part with Buchholz for either Salty or Teagarden...if they would do it one for one. It will take at least that. Buchhy is a Texas kid and the change might be good for him...or make matters worse. I think his own maturity is what has held him up. He sure has the raw goods. But top catching prospects are just as rare as top of the rotation starting pitchers. Texas knows that. I suspect Texas is trying to fleece Theo of another young arm. If so...maybe they can find a raw A ball kid to sacrifice to make them happy.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from harv53. Show harv53's posts

I would take Posada over Tek in a hearbeat.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bossoxAl. Show bossoxAl's posts

I would hate to part with any of these pitchers. We will need these arms next year. Beside Theo said that Tek. is needed. So Theo will get his man and probably will pay him more than he should. But a good hitting catcher would be nice to strengthen the lineup. So is there someone else to trade?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from harv53. Show harv53's posts

[Quote]Daniel Bard is the next Papelbon you probably have too keep him! I just don't think its a good idea to trade top tier prospects for anyone unproven. Saltalamacchia could be a great catcher but at what price?As for Montero,Marson or even Martinez or Shoppach they might be great in boston but you will have too pay through the nose.Not worth a possible star closer!or a #1 or 2 starting pitcher.[/Quote]

Seems to me the RS used to have Shoppach.....must be my imagination.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from billy13. Show billy13's posts

Im glad to see most of this board siding with the Red Sox management in not trading the top pitching prospects in our farm for some AAA catcher. I am a huge Theo fan because of his stance that Bucholz or Bowden are not going to be traded for anyone but a proven stud, at any position. Anyone who would give up Bucholz for "salty" or teagarden doesnt get it. I expect them both to be with Boston for some time to come.

Bard is overated, and is a huge question mark. They will trade him in a minute if the right deal comes up. Thats who the sox want to trade. His value is high right now. The sox have 5-6 better pitching prospects in the minors. None with the value of Bucholz and Bowden. These guys are studs. No trades for top pitching prospects. NOO

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

As much as Varitek has meant to the Sox, it is clear he is done. It hasn't just been 1 bad year. His hitting was horrible in 2006 (.238), he got a little better in 2007 and started out ok in 2008, but hit like .191 since June 1st, then .118 in the playoffs (.206 slg %). Face it, not many catcher get a second wind this late in their careers. Even if he could hit .250 next year, he can't throw out anyone anymore. Sign Zahn and hope for the young players to develop, sign a FA next year, or make a trade in July. Unless Varitek agrees to $2-3 Million, let him go. I'll miss him, but loyalty is gone from this game for good. For better ot worse. Money is tight everywhere. It's easy to just say "sign him", but consider the cost and reward. I loved Pedro and Damon, but their time had come and it was right to not overpay for them.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dano50. Show dano50's posts

We certainly can afford to part with one of our starting prospects. We still have others, including Masterson (who could move into the rotation), Bowden, and the three top guys we have already. You can fill out your rotation easily with FA pick ups. Prospects are also brought along to fill needs when neccessary. Catching is a major need. Tek...or signing Zaun or any other mediocre, or overthehill guy is only delaying the inevitable. Time to make a move.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[Quote]I would take Posada over Tek in a hearbeat.[/Quote]

As bad a season as Varitek had with the bat, he was of more use to his team than an injured Posada was as a cheerleader.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Posadas backups (with posadas cheering) at least threw out a few runners.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from billy13. Show billy13's posts

Dano:

We all know we "can" trade one of them, but you fail to mention who you have in mind. The issue is not whether you would trade them for Mauer or McCann, we all would probably agree that we would. The issue is whether to trade our "top" pitching prospects for catching "prospects" like Salty and Montero. The answer from the sox is NO, hell NO. Most of us completely agree, because the value of a top pitcher is way more than a top catcher.

Masterson is not a proven starter. He has shown well in the bullpen. Our other starters, Beckett will be a FA after 2010, and Penny/Smoltz/Wake will be long gone. That leaves Lester and Dice K. We need these top flight starting pitching prospects to fill those voids.

17. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts