1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Whats' Been Said About the Pats" FA Signings?

1.) WR Greg Lewis: Technically, Lewis is not a free agent signing. He was acquired in a trade, along with The Eagles' 7th round choice in 2010...for the Pats 2009 5th rounder.

a.) From the Philadelphia Inquirer today: "An Eagles source made it clear yesterday that the team had "no interest" in a reunion with Terrell Owens, who was released by the Dallas Cowboys. The Eagles then rid themselves of an equally surly but far less talented receiver, trading Greg Lewis to the New England Patriots."

b.) "Lewis was prized far more by Belichick than by Philadelphia fans, perhaps because he had two good games against the Patriots and a bunch of mediocre ones in between. Three of his eight career touchdown catches came against the Patriots, including one in the Eagles' 2005 Super Bowl loss. He had two touchdown catches in the Eagles' wild shoot-out loss at Gillette Stadium in 2007."

c.) "Those were not typical games for Lewis. He averaged just one catch and 19 receiving yards a game during his 99-game career in Philadelphia. He opened the 2005 season opposite T.O. as a starter for the Eagles, but by the end of the year, both men were malcontents. Owens, of course, had been exiled, and Lewis had demonstrated an inability to handle a starting role. Lewis stuck around for three more seasons, but now he's gone and T.O. isn't coming back, either."

2.) CB Shawn Spings: From the Washington Times:

a.) "Shawn Springs turns 34 next week and (has) missed 16 games the past three years".

b.) From the Providence Journal: "Though Springs played in just nine games for Washington last season due to a calf injury, he had 36 tackles (31 solo), one interception, one sack, and seven passes defensed."

c.) From "Hogg Heaven" blog (2007): "...it simply is not tenable to keep a guy on the roster...if he cannot remain healthy. Shawn Springs has not completed a full year of football since 2000, when he was 25 years old. Last year he played in 9 games, and I'm pessimistic about his ability to play in 10+ on any given year for the rest of his career."

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

I feel he is a special teams player.Sure Brady can make anyone look good,but if thats the case.Then why not keep gaffney,or kelly washington?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

I assume Gaffney was not fast enough or young enough to get paid what Denver offered. Lewis will take Washington's place on special teams, but should make it into games where he will spread the field more for the two stars but be a less reliable/worse route runner than Gaffney was if he's the 3rd WR.

I still say the Pats draft a WR with 1 of the 3 picks we have 3rd/4th rd and hope that guy takes Gaffney's place. Maybe even get him w/ pick 47 or 58. For now they have upgraded Kelly Washington.

Springs is easily an upgrade to Deltha O'Neal. But yes the injuries are a concern. When on the field he will be a better vet CB than we had last year, but we still need more depth at that position.

It is also possible that if we draft a starting quality CB that Springs could beat out or rotate w/ Sanders at FS, the position the Eagles wanted him to play when they tried to sign him.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from krismk. Show krismk's posts

Philly's eye for drafting WR's has been at least equally as bad as the Pat's experience in picking them.....However, we won 3 superbowls with our lunch-pail and journeyman guys.

How could they have any reasonable evaluation of the WR talent, when 90% of the plays are thrown to Westbrook and LJ Smith?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

gaffney is one year younger then lewis,and knows the pats system. his average yrd per catch isnt bad when the ball is thrown to him.kelly washington was on special teams with blazeing speed,and is lewis,s age.now maybe its the money that would cost to retain them vs what lewis,s contract is.as for the age thing of a player.that dosent compute in belichicks book.he will bring in a player in his 30,s as well as releaseing them.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kmaxx. Show Kmaxx's posts

I’m not a fan of either acquisition.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wingman23. Show Wingman23's posts

Lewis is not a number 3 receiver on the Pats!! He was the Eagles 6th receiver!!!! They had Desean Jackson, Kevin Curtis, Reggie Brown, Jason Avant and Hank Baskett as their 1-5 recievers....All WRs I would rather have than Lewis. He only has gotten playing time the last few years because of injuries to Reggie Brown and Kevin Curtis.

I would really like to see the Patriots bring in someone with more talent. Gaffney was a pretty good reciever, and i dont think Lewis is half as talented as Gaffney. I'd like to see the patriots bring in someone like Shaun McDonald(lions), Amani Toomer, Bobby Engram,Ronold Curry(raiders), Drew Bennett(rams), Brandon Lloyd or Malcolm Floyd(chargers, burned pats CB's last year)

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriots44. Show patriots44's posts

[Quote]Lewis is not a number 3 receiver on the Pats!! He was the Eagles 6th receiver!!!! They had Desean Jackson, Kevin Curtis, Reggie Brown, Jason Avant and Hank Baskett as their 1-5 recievers....All WRs I would rather have than Lewis. He only has gotten playing time the last few years because of injuries to Reggie Brown and Kevin Curtis.

I would really like to see the Patriots bring in someone with more talent. Gaffney was a pretty good reciever, and i dont think Lewis is half as talented as Gaffney. I'd like to see the patriots bring in someone like Shaun McDonald(lions), Amani Toomer, Bobby Engram,Ronold Curry(raiders), Drew Bennett(rams), Brandon Lloyd or Malcolm Floyd(chargers, burned pats CB's last year)
    [/Quote] McDonald would be a perfect fit

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

shoot,id even welcome ashlie Lee-Lee.over lewis

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrooklineRob. Show BrooklineRob's posts

I think the Pats need to address the other side of the ball. Vrabel is gone and Bruschi can't go on forever. The young guys are unproven. Springs is a nice complementary piece but the still need to address the CB/Safety positions too. Lots of chinks in the armor so far.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

Wingman,

You say this is a step down because Lewis "was the Eagles 6th receiver" and "you don't think he has half the talent of Gaffney".
    If you remember correctly we picked up Gaffney after he was released by the Eagles in training camp. He couldn't even make their roster so who's to say Lewis can't give us the same or possibly even more production.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from schwank. Show schwank's posts

Response to TexasPat3:
    Seems like you picked out all the negative commensts on these guys. Remember it's how they fit into OUR system.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[Quote]
    Response to TexasPat3:
    Seems like you picked out all the negative commensts on these guys. Remember it's how they fit into OUR system.
    [/Quote]

True...I specifically looked for negatives. Sometimes we here get too excited over Patriots' free agent signings. Reading these types of comments brings the Kool-aid drinkers back down to Earth...and also lends insight as to why these guys were available through free agency.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[Quote]I think the Pats need to address the other side of the ball. Vrabel is gone and Bruschi can't go on forever. The young guys are unproven. Springs is a nice complementary piece but the still need to address the CB/Safety positions too. Lots of chinks in the armor so far.[/Quote]

Rob:

The Pats will likely go strong for defense in the upcoming draft. I would also like for them to visit with ex-Cowboy SS, Roy Williams. He could be the intimidator that their "D" really needs. But, if the Pats' declining to pursue Williams, I'm sure that BB has his reasons ("In Bill We Trust").

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[Quote]Lewis is not a number 3 receiver on the Pats!! He was the Eagles 6th receiver!!!! ...I dont think Lewis is half as talented as Gaffney. I'd like to see the patriots bring in someone like Shaun McDonald(lions), Amani Toomer, Bobby Engram,Ronold Curry(raiders), Drew Bennett(rams), Brandon Lloyd or Malcolm Floyd(chargers, burned pats CB's last year) [/Quote]

Forget Floyd...hes' a restricted free agent. Torry Holt is soon to be released. I also would rule out TO. If the Pats sign him, it will be because he has the blessing of BB and Brady...and is willing to play for the right price. Also, don't forget about ex-Lions' WR Mike Fluerry.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[Quote]
    I’m not a fan of either acquisition.
    [/Quote]

I like the Lewis deal. The Pats' didn't give up much, and hes' signed for several years at very reasonable rates (less than $650,000 per season). Also, unlike Gaffney, he also can play on special teams.

That said, I have no idea why the Pats spent good money on the 34 year old Spings.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from sml1210. Show sml1210's posts

"That said, I have no idea why the Pats spent good money on the 34 year old Spings."

Tex - simply because he's better than the current other collection of crap they have for a D backfield at the moment.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

TPat --

As far as focusing on negative comments in this analysis goes, you might want to consider the fox and those damnable grapes he couldn't quite reach. When I guy is released or traded it always seems easier to pinpoint exactly what was wrong with him; the same way a team acquiring a guy will tend to focus exclusively on positive attributes. Somebody once said -- I think it might have been Shakespeare . . . he seems to have said just about everything -- that nothing is good or bad, but thinking makes it so.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Norger. Show Norger's posts

Chad Jackson didn't work, but the Pats made David Givens a good starting receiver. In Bill I still trust.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[Quote] "That said, I have no idea why the Pats spent good money on the 34 year old Spings."

Tex - simply because he's better than the current other collection of crap they have for a D backfield at the moment.
    [/Quote]

If thats' true, the Patriots are in deep, deep trouble.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bchan89. Show bchan89's posts

why can't we wait until the season starts before lighting the match to these guys, the players that had sucess against the pats in previous seasons seem to workour, wes welker, sammy morris, heath eveans, and as posted before we took a street free agent in gaffeny (who i liked all the way back to his days at fla) a seventh round pick in givens, i belive patten was released before he came here too, we went to the afc championship game with rreche caldwell as our #1 IN BILL I TRUST

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 18coltfire. Show 18coltfire's posts

F the Pats--and their wannabe sportswriter (you know who) Now that you have the effin N in your division lets see how you do--especially since you don't know what b**ch boy will do (Carson Palmer anyone?) Go Colts! Let's go Rangers!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Yeah, the Pats DB corp is scary right now, and not in a good way. The only player that is really all-pro is Meriweather, and really only looked that way for the last eight games of the season.

But, Springs is a good vet. In relative terms, the Springs deal is dirt cheap. Bad corners are getting $7 million a season. So Springs at least puts a body in there, someone who isn't a doorknob like O'neal and a midget like Hobbs. OK, so he has missed some games, LOL. No one is perfect at 34.

But being realistic, I don't want NE to sign a CB. It is not worth it, the market is unreasonable. NFL teams need corners more and more,with all of the spread formations that people are seeing, and the price is rising.

The way to do it is to draft them. Heck, the average salary for a corner picked 10th in the draft is an absolute bargain.

I love Lewis, free players are the best. And he is a long term replacement for Washington, and maybe if he figures it out, could bea solid #3 or #4.

I think both moves are low risk signings and signal that the fans can expect long term solutions to come in the form of youth on draft day.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from PaulK3. Show PaulK3's posts

Corey Dillon was a disgruntled washed-up player with a rep. He threw his pads into the crowd in Cincinnatti. He cost a second-round draft choice. Then in New England he doesn't say a bad word, just turns into a great running back.

Randy Moss was a disgruntled washed-up player with a rep. He cost a fourth round draft choice. Then in New England...

I don't expect too much out of Greg Lewis. He was a disgruntled washed-up player with a rep. He cost a fifth-round draft choice. Now, put a camera on the guy. He'll say all the right things, won't he? That's the Patriot way.

What happened in Philly? Maybe Donovan McNabb zeroed in on only two targets, then otherwise ran for a first down? What if it was the system, not the player? Remember how Wes Welker got offered the medium tender offer in Miami, a salary about as much as Lewis now makes?

All Lewis needs to do is get way down the field and not drop half of the passes coming his way (let's buy him a personal Jugs machine) , and he's a cheap payoff for the Pats. I suspect that speedsters only have 15 outstanding runs in them per game, and maybe Lewis should sit and catch his breath half the time.

No he's not Moss. He's just the bargain bin special of disgruntled players, something you might find at Job Lot or at Building 19. Does he work? How do I know, but at such a low price you grab him.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from PaulK3. Show PaulK3's posts

Belichick has a philosophy about defensive backs. You stock a big huge vending machine with DBs, and as they wear out you get another one out of the machine.

Shawn Springs is not good for as much as half a season. That's ok around here. Nobody else (especially all the 5 foot 9 runts) lasts half a season either. New England is famous for defensive backs such as Troy Brown, a wideout, and guys that were found in the yellow pages 6 days before they started in the very next game. However, Springs will be ok when he's on the field. He may be half the player he used to be, and if half is all BB can get, he'll have to order two of them. These guys regularly get stockpiled on injured reserve for next year, on the practice squad and on speed dial like Junior Seau.