1. You have chosen to ignore posts from piersall. Show piersall's posts

What's with Ellsbury?

Any theories on what happened to Ellsbury this year??? I had him labeled for superstardom and he fizzled. Does he have it for the future????

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

What's with Ellsbury?

Here is my theory ( if you want to call it that).

He was a rookie , anyone who expected him to be superstar based on his tremendous play in Sept and Oct. 2007 should have known that he would at some point hit a slump or two.

Anyone who thinks that just because he wasn't an ALL-STAR in 2008 and figures that therefore he is a bust...well you should know better. It took Carl Yastrzemski about 6-7 years to mature into a star and team leader.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Recifense. Show Recifense's posts

What's with Ellsbury?

He's got to learn to lay off the pitch that's too high in the strike zone. The opposing pitchers learned to play him for a patsy.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

What's with Ellsbury?

He's got a lot of potential.I'd like to see him learn to bunt better.With his speed,a drag bunt would be a dangerous weapon.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from silversteinsox. Show silversteinsox's posts

What's with Ellsbury?

Is Piersall pretending to be a Softlaw? Can't you be your own person or is it "Monkey see, monkey do?"

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ihatefishing. Show ihatefishing's posts

What's with Ellsbury?

I odnt think he fizzled, he hit 270 or something, not terrbile. It was also his first full year adn he had some injury problems. Hell be better next year.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from crlsnjnn. Show crlsnjnn's posts

What's with Ellsbury?

Since when does Tito have "distain for rookies", iknowitall? The fans bashed Francona for sticking with Pedroia when he got off to a slow start and look at him now........ROY last year and Gold Glove this year. Can we at least entertain the possibility that Francona might posssibly know a bit more than we do?

As far as Ellsbury.........there is an expression "Sophomore slump" for a reason.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mammanaus. Show mammanaus's posts

What's with Ellsbury?

he came in as the heavey favorite for rookie of the year....lots of pressure for a young player and pitcher learned how to pitch to him. he will be great, but he needs to learn a thing or 2 from youk or pd about taking a pitch and fouling pitches off. why was damon soooo good for the red sox?? because he could go up there and have the pitcher throw 10 pitches and tire the pitcher out from very start of the game, and you let your line-up see all of pitches. there are things you are supposed to do in the lead-off spot and ellsbury will be great when he does.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from LeftyGrove. Show LeftyGrove's posts

What's with Ellsbury?

[Agreed. He had a very good year, his defense was exceptional and his sb streak was awesome. Unfortunately we can't have 9 guys go up there and hit .350 with 50 home runs, 140 rbi and 120 stolen bases each year.
    I hope the sucess since 2004 has not made fans too greedy. As a fan since 1966, it has been nervana since 2004 and prior to that, I had the pleasure to see Yaz, Tony C., Pudge, Lee, Tiant, Schill, Andrews, Rice, Boomer, Pedro, etc. move us close to the top and keep hope alive for the next year.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from walterjohnson07. Show walterjohnson07's posts

What's with Ellsbury?

I agree that pitchers found weakness(es) and JE was hurt for part of the season. I agree also that he should improve his bunting, which will increase his OBP and average, as well as create more potential chaos for infielders and pitchers.

I thought he played a sterling OF with, like Coco, many great catches including one that helped to save Lester's no-hitter.

I'm sure hitting coaches will focus on those weaknesses and help him compensate. Also, I think he will grow stronger as he continues to mature physically and add some pop to his bat, although I don't think that's essential.

Sections
Shortcuts