1. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Who hits more HRs?

A) Ortiz

B) Bay

C) Drew

D) Youk

E) Lowell

I'm gonna guess Bay with about 32.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from youngdavid74. Show youngdavid74's posts

Who hits more HRs?

I'll go with Bay as well Moon! I do hope Papi beats him out with about 35-40 bashing the ball like the Papi of old!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

Who hits more HRs?

I think Bay Ortiz and Youk will all hit over 30 HR this year.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tph2004. Show tph2004's posts

Who hits more HRs?

who ever hits 4th because they will have very good hitters at 5 - 7 and they will have two guys infront of them getting on alot.

I was thinking if they will continue to have Ortiz in 3 hole when he clearly needs to be moved to the 4th spot. Terry likes the R,L,R,L thing but I think it should go Ellsbury, Pedrioa, Youk, Papi, Bay, Drew, Lowell, Lugo, Tek

That line up is very good, 4 300 hitters, 2-3 30 Hr guys, 2-3 20+ HR guys, then 3 guys with 10 - 15 HR and 6 guys with OBP close to 380 - 400.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Who hits more HRs?

I don't care I want the pitchers to have an ERA around 3.80 and a team BA of 280 like last year and they will make the playoffs.

HRs are over hyped..........

But I like Ortiz for 40+ and Bay for 30+ both Youk and Lowell at 25+

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

Who hits more HRs?

I think it is Bay, and I'm guessing he hits 38 - 40.

And I agree with tph. Ortiz should hit 4th and the only change to the lineup is that Lugo/Lowrie hit 9th with Varitek moving up a notch.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ALaGatorAL. Show ALaGatorAL's posts

Who hits more HRs?

Bay 35 !!

GO SOX 2009 !!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Who hits more HRs?

I think Papi blows them all away with 35-38. I'm still thinking he should be #4.

Excellent Q Moonslav.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Who hits more HRs?

[Quote]who ever hits 4th because they will have very good hitters at 5 - 7 and they will have two guys infront of them getting on alot.

I was thinking if they will continue to have Ortiz in 3 hole when he clearly needs to be moved to the 4th spot. Terry likes the R,L,R,L thing but I think it should go Ellsbury, Pedrioa, Youk, Papi, Bay, Drew, Lowell, Lugo, Tek

That line up is very good, 4 300 hitters, 2-3 30 Hr guys, 2-3 20+ HR guys, then 3 guys with 10 - 15 HR and 6 guys with OBP close to 380 - 400.[/Quote]

I agree, Papi needs to start out in the 4 hole. We need a great OB% guy up 3rd before him (I like YOUK 3rd) and Bay up 5th. I also think if Papi stuggles, he should be dropped to 5th or 6th, but Sox managers have always resisted such moves until way too late. Loyalty can kill sometimes.
    I think the whole "protection" thing is over-rated. I actually think it is more important to have a great OB guy before you, than after you. Reason 1: More guys on base to bash in. Reason 2: with a man on first, they won't walk him. Reason 3: Youk is better 3rd than 4th. Reason 4: and Bay is better 5th than 4th.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Who hits more HRs?

I was always against the switch to Manny 4th and Ortiz 3rd. Manny had a better OB% and Ortiz more HRs.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Roast1999. Show Roast1999's posts

Who hits more HRs?

That's a good question Moon. I think I will go with Bay as well, and I think he is going to have a very good year overall.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tph2004. Show tph2004's posts

Who hits more HRs?

Moon, that pretty much is what I said he would have 2 guys on 35 to 40% of the time when it goes 1,2,3,4 . . . .makes it hard to pitch around a guy when you have 2 on 1 out, or 2 on no outs. Why I think the 4th hitter will have the most HR's, but I like the 5 guy for most RBI's because 1-4 are also good at getting on and Ortiz has shown he will talk the walk. I am think 115 - 120 for Papi and 125+ for Bay.

I like Bay 5 as well with Drew 6 , Lowell 7 if they are healthy that is serious lumber 2 - 7.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tph2004. Show tph2004's posts

Who hits more HRs?

Moon, Manny wanted to hit 4th that is why they changed if memory serves me correctly . . . . Ortiz was fine with the switch. That is why they changed after 2004.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tph2004. Show tph2004's posts

Who hits more HRs?

Without getting into a Law debate, Ortiz has put up great numbers when Manny has been out of line up, for whatever reason.

He had a 1.143 OPS the final 6 weeks of 2006 best of season and in 2007 when the clean up hitter was out with oblique he hit .396 with a OPS of 1.341 in September which was again his best month of year with 9 Hr's as well.

He was about even last season, but it is hard to judge because of injury. He was solid with a OPS around 1.000 PRE injury and OPS around 920 after injury. As we all saw, Papi was hurt and missed fat pitch;s in playoff's, if healthly he wont miss them in 2009.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from youngdavid74. Show youngdavid74's posts

Who hits more HRs?

I agree Moon. Ortiz should be hitting Fourth. He is our most dangerous power hitter right now. Youk would benefit greatly from that move as well. By the end of the season you may be right. He may have to move down to middle of the order.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Who hits more HRs?

[Quote]Moon, Manny wanted to hit 4th that is why they changed if memory serves me correctly . . . . Ortiz was fine with the switch. That is why they changed after 2004.[/Quote]

I remembered Manny was Ok with it, but it was not his idea. Anyway, shouldn't the manager decide who bats where? This isn't kegger softball!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from tph2004. Show tph2004's posts

Who hits more HRs?

[Quote]Moon, Manny wanted to hit 4th that is why they changed if memory serves me correctly . . . . Ortiz was fine with the switch. That is why they changed after 2004.[/Quote]

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from tph2004. Show tph2004's posts

Who hits more HRs?

When players make $20 Million or $15 Million they call the shots I think we have seen evidence of that.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Who hits more HRs?

[Quote]I was always against the switch to Manny 4th and Ortiz 3rd. Manny had a better OB% and Ortiz more HRs.[/Quote]

I think Manny hit 4th because, even though it was difficult, you can pitch to Papi. So you could walk Manny and pitch carefully to Papi, maybe with a lefty. In his prime, you couldn't pitch to Manny, and you especially couldn't walk Papi to get to Manny.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Who hits more HRs?

[Quote]I was always against the switch to Manny 4th and Ortiz 3rd. Manny had a better OB% and Ortiz more HRs.[/Quote]

I think Manny hit 4th because, even though it was difficult, you can pitch to Papi. So you could walk Manny and pitch carefully to Papi, maybe with a lefty. In his prime, you couldn't pitch to Manny, and you especially couldn't walk Papi to get to Manny.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Who hits more HRs?

[Quote]When players make $20 Million or $15 Million they call the shots I think we have seen evidence of that.[/Quote]

I could be wrong, but I don't recall Manny asking for the move, just OK'ing it.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rsinsider. Show rsinsider's posts

Who hits more HRs?

I think Ortiz will hit 50 this year he has alot to prove and this is most likely a hit em or hang em year for david.He looks to be in grat shape and with manny gone I think he will try to shoulder more of the run producing depending who hits behind him. Im predicting a huge bounce back year for the BIG POP!!!!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Teakus. Show Teakus's posts

Who hits more HRs?

I say Bay will hit 35, Papi 30, and Youk+Lowell around 25 each. Drew will hit 15ish in a sad year where he plays fewer than 90 games, and plays too many games hurt. Sorry, but the guy has multiple herniated discs (and a bum shoulder to boot) and that doesn't translate into production. Now...about that Big Bat we still need........

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from fizsh. Show fizsh's posts

Who hits more HRs?

Good discussion. I agree with most everybody that Ortiz should hit 4th. The other thing that makes the Pedroia/Youkilis back to back righties work is that they both have a history of hitting righties better. So, bringing in a righy late in the game to face those two wouldn't work as well. And you know a manager is going to bring in a lefty to face them (or leave the lefty that just faced Ellsbury in), goes against "conventional wisdom".

As for my pick, I think Bay is primed to hit about 35 HRs, which should lead the Sox. Ortiz will be close, if healthy. I would give Lowell and Youk in the 20-25 range, with Youk having more. The rest of the guys just do their jobs, Ellsbury steal bases, Pedroia hit over .300 and play GG defense, Drew hit .280 with HRs in the teens, Lowrie (or Lugo) get on base at the bottom of the lineup, and Varitek handle the staff and maybe hit .240 with 10HRs. The team should be okay. I love the bullpen this year.

Again, great discussion. Wish more were like this.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dabro. Show Dabro's posts

Who hits more HRs?

Ortiz will return to form and hit 35 to lead the team. Note that there are 5 potential power guys on our team who should all clear 20 HR if they play at least 120 games each.