1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BLRob. Show BLRob's posts

Who will be the better - Wake or Penny?

I'm a big Tim Wakefield fan andI hope he can stay healthy for a few more seasons and become the Sox all-time leader in Wins... but I worry about his health and effectiveness these days.

I still think he can win 10+ games for us, but I'm starting to think Brad Penny is going to be a huge steal for us this season.

I know it's early, but who do you guys think will be better in 2009 - Wake or Penny? I'd love to hear some predictions as well... here are mine:

Wake - 12-10, 30 GS, 4.30 ERA, 120 K
    Penny - 14-8, 30 GS, 3.60 ERA, 135 K

The Bottom Line blog

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SpacemanEephus. Show SpacemanEephus's posts

I think these projections sound right, assuming one of them has a spot in the rotation all year and stays healthy. Only, I think thats about the top end for Wake and that Penny could actually be even better than that (wins, not era). I am a huge Wake fan, but if Penny is full-steam and ready to rock, I want him to get the ball every fifth ... at least until Smoltzy is ready :)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

I love Wake and hope Penny excells, but I don't think he will last a whole year. My prediction:

Wake: 14-10 4.40 (IP 185)
    Penny: 9-7 4.20 (IP 120)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lowell4MVP. Show Lowell4MVP's posts

A healthy Penny should be much better than Wakefield. The ERA projections above (BL's post), seem a bit agressive, only showing a half run variance from his best years in the NL. I think the AL East will be a bit harder on him.

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[Quote]I hope Wakefield blows his shoulder already. Enough is enough, he should have retired 3 years ago. The same with Timlin he should have retired 5 years ago. The Red Sox have put up with these old people for way too long.[/Quote]

Wake had one of his best years last year and was 5th in the AL in WHIP. "Enough is enough"? Yeah, of your uninformed statements!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pinstripezac28. Show pinstripezac28's posts

I'd put my money on wake over penny

unless catching him becomes a real issue

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

I can barely be bothered to type this out.....it's so effing obvious....and boring....name the pitchers in baseball that have been more consistent than Wakefield over the past 6 regular seasons.....

....there aren't a lot....his year-on-year stats are remarkably steady....do I want him starting a big game? NO! He's too unpredictable day-to-day. But I defy anyone to name the last Sox starter to have put up 6 more consistent seasons than Wake's last 6.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kmaxx. Show Kmaxx's posts

Penny

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

[Quote]I hope Wakefield blows his shoulder already. Enough is enough, he should have retired 3 years ago. The same with Timlin he should have retired 5 years ago. The Red Sox have put up with these old people for way too long.[/Quote]

Dude, you are a tool!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

[Quote]

Dude, you are a tool![/Quote]

Do you think The Tool is more evil, ignorant or stupid? I think more ignorant than anything else, but I tend to be forgiving to the evil stupid among us.

Timlin 2007: 50 games, ERA+ 139, WHIP 1.084

Maybe on Planet Stupid that's a bad performance.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lopi1122. Show lopi1122's posts

Beckett- (32 starts) 21-5 3.10era 220ip
    Lester- (32 starts) 18-6 3.30era 200ip
    Matsuzaka- (28 starts) 17-7 3.40era170ip
    Penny- (28 starts) 14-8 4.10era 170ip
    Wake- (20 starts) 7-9 4.80era 100ip
    Smoltz-(14 starts) 8-3 3.80era 80ip
    Buchholz- (8 starts) 4-2 3.60era 50ip

You tell me who does better.
    Those are my predictions.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from crono420. Show crono420's posts

both wake and penny should be put out to pasture

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

5 years ago? You are either completely ignorant of RS history, or you hate the RS.

FWIW, Wake had 17 wins for our 2007 WS team. No Wake, no WSC, but I guess that would make you happy. In 2007, Timlin had the 2nd best ERA in the BP after 6/25.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Refresh my memory, aren't you also the one that said Dice had to take responsibility for his horrible pitching last year, and should fall on his sword, or something to that effect?

Hmmm, starting to sense a pattern here.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[Quote]both wake and penny should be put out to pasture[/Quote]

Yeah, bright idea, put Wake and his 1.18 WHIP (5th in AL) last year out to pasture!He's obviously slipping! Geeeeeez!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from manfredoko. Show manfredoko's posts

lopi,

those predicitons are a little excessive, as it is hard to believe that starters will get that many decisions. Most close games have a decision from the bullpen, i.e. 4 wins for Papelbon, a couple for Oki, Ramirez, Masterson, etc. I think solely in terms of wins the starters will look more like:

Beckett: 17
    Lester: 16
    Dice-K: 16
    Penny: 12
    Smoltz: 10
    Wakefield: 7
    Buchholz and Bowden together: 8 wins

Thats 86 wins for those starters, which leaves about 10 more decisions for the bullpen pitchers, in a 96 win season.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[Quote]lopi,

those predicitons are a little excessive, as it is hard to believe that starters will get that many decisions. Most close games have a decision from the bullpen, i.e. 4 wins for Papelbon, a couple for Oki, Ramirez, Masterson, etc. I think solely in terms of wins the starters will look more like:

Beckett: 17
    Lester: 16
    Dice-K: 16
    Penny: 12
    Smoltz: 10
    Wakefield: 7
    Buchholz and Bowden together: 8 wins

Thats 86 wins for those starters, which leaves about 10 more decisions for the bullpen pitchers, in a 96 win season.[/Quote]

Hard to see as many wins from the 5th hole (10+7) and the other 4 slots.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lowell4MVP. Show Lowell4MVP's posts

"Beckett- (32 starts) 21-5 3.10era 220ip
    Lester- (32 starts) 18-6 3.30era 200ip
    Matsuzaka- (28 starts) 17-7 3.40era170ip
    Penny- (28 starts) 14-8 4.10era 170ip
    Wake- (20 starts) 7-9 4.80era 100ip
    Smoltz-(14 starts) 8-3 3.80era 80ip
    Buchholz- (8 starts) 4-2 3.60era 50ip

You tell me who does better.
    Those are my predictions."

So, sox starters are going 89-40? Should be a nice 110+ win season for the sox.

Sections
Shortcuts