1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonDotCom. Show BostonDotCom's posts

Who's got the buzz?

Are the Sox Still the Talk of the Town?

The Red Sox secured Rangers reliever Eric Gagne Tuesday, the same day the Celtics officially announced the acquisition of 10-time All-Star Kevin Garnett. With the Patriots and Randy Moss in the first days of training camp, who has the biggest buzz in Boston?

Click here to vote.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbh123. Show tbh123's posts

Who's got the buzz?

I'm with you here.

Need a bat. Hinske is a servicible Left hander off the bench who can paly a few positions OK. Wily Mo can't play even one OK.

We need the bat.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from zitface. Show zitface's posts

Who's got the buzz?

Right on, khorrocks, ALL 3 .. why run a poll against each other (btw, if this wasn't the day of the trades, the Pats would have got a lot more of the vote)

these are the heydays of Boston sports, enjoy it, cherish it .. it's nice to see the C's join it

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from dtam83. Show dtam83's posts

Who's got the buzz?

i would say one of the best trio's....wayyy too early to say best when there's duncan/parker/ginobili and nash/marion/stoudemire

i think celtics have more buzz though because they went from an afterthought to "i'm going to put an effort to go to some games this season"

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from zitface. Show zitface's posts

Who's got the buzz?

first of all, the Celts made their deal yesterday, everybody knows that .. jackie macmullan wouldn't write a column published in this mornings globe about the trade if it wasn't definite

second, I had a mini package for Celts tix last year .. when I called my rep to inquire about this year he had 3 lines buzzing, as did all the other reps (btw, full and half season packs only for now, but they will have minis in a couple weeks -- if I didn't have 4 young kids, I'd have bought a full package yesterday)

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from zitface. Show zitface's posts

Who's got the buzz?

all due respect to parker, ginobli and marion .. but i think we have the only trio of legit studs who could carry a team on their own (but will no longer have to) .. I know Ginobli was "The Man" for Argentina's gold medal champs and certainly it isn't a negative that he and Parker are team players, I just think the pure talent of our trio is better .. I can't wait to see them together, they all pass the ball and Garnett is so much better than many people seem to realize, Boston is going to LOVE him

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dtam83. Show dtam83's posts

Who's got the buzz?

i'm excited like you, but let's not be homers and say that "we have the best trio"...the best trio is the ones that have good chemistry and win championships.

pure talent, of course the c's have the most pure talent...but i want to reserve judgement because of the kobe/shaq/malone/payton lakers that just didn't mesh well together

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from zitface. Show zitface's posts

Who's got the buzz?

i hear you there, but I'm optimistic given that they are all unselfish and that all three are hungry and focused .. i can't think of a precedent in any sport .. the lakers example, shaq and kobe already had rings .. oscar robertson joining kareem on the bucks to win the '71 title, 2 stars and kareem was young, although it is an interesting comparison, especially since the bucks loaded up at the point and center and the Celts are doing the exact opposite (ala 90s Bulls)

and, did I mention, I hear this Garnett guy can play .. KG already has a place in NBA history, but with a title (or 2) he rises to a level where few reside .. I like the idea of a guy with that on the line wearing green

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from dtam83. Show dtam83's posts

Who's got the buzz?

i like him in green also....

just the years of red sox disappointments force me to have cautious optimism

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from zitface. Show zitface's posts

Who's got the buzz?

Knicks fan, good points .. I think what we have here is the 90s Bulls model .. BJ Armstrong played point for a few of their titles and Luc Longley was center on some others .. the Bulls are really the only example of a championship team that loaded up at 2-3-4 and ignored 1 and 5 -- and they did have Jordan. I know you can't compare anybody to MJ, but KG is a transcendent player and I'm psyched to see how this thing shakes out

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from zitface. Show zitface's posts

Who's got the buzz?

that's making the assumption that Boston.com readers are representative of Boston fans (and New England fans) .. I don't believe that's true .. I think Boston.com readers, in general, are younger, more transient and a little more concerned about being hip than the average person I'll run into on the street over the next month .. therefore, since they've grown up getting inning-by-inning updates of the Sox on Boston.com and they've never seen the Celts be relevant ...

Personally I love them all the same and don't understand why the question would be posed, but I'll grant that if I had to pick one, this is a baseball town .. but I don't think some young Boston.commers realize that in the '80s this town was GREEN and there were empty seats at Fenway (and lots of them in Foxboro)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kilgore_Trout. Show Kilgore_Trout's posts

Who's got the buzz?

How on Earth can the Celtics justify giving up Theo Ratliff? He's shouldered the burden for us for years, leading the team through some tough times. He is the player who always comes to mind when anyone says "Celtics basketball." It's a sad day in Boston.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from cheersboston1. Show cheersboston1's posts

Who's got the buzz?

A 7 for 1 trade? you have to be kidding! Then throw in cash too? 2 #1 draft choices? Way too much.
    Garnett is really, really good but I don't ever believe you give up everything or so much for 1 player. Never throw all your eggs in 1 basket. Sorry for the pun. 3-4 years down the line you are in the lottery again just as you were after the old Big Three left and Reggie died. TOO MUCH!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from zitface. Show zitface's posts

Who's got the buzz?

7 for 1? Who cares if it's 10 for 1? When I was a kid my brother and I used to come up with all kinds of huge trades where we would give up all kinds of mediocrity for another team's superstar. That's what Danny just pulled off. The NBA is the one professional league where superstars matter most and we just hit the jackpot of superstars. You can fill an NBA roster very easily once you have 2 stars, let alone 3.

I didn't mind being in the lottery after winning 3 titles with the Big 3. I did mind staying there.

Also, it seems a lot of people see this as a 2-3 year window. My opinion is 4-5 years.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from hollywood. Show hollywood's posts

Who's got the buzz?

i really liked having a power lefty as well...but next season we could start paps and have gagne close. i like that better than gabbard starting and pap closing.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from dei991. Show dei991's posts

Who's got the buzz?

I think it is time for Theo to go!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from totalcarnage. Show totalcarnage's posts

Who's got the buzz?

Stop the whining about WMP already!! If you cant stand him on the Red Sox because hes that bad a player why in the world would you think it easy to trade him?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from antares8. Show antares8's posts

Who's got the buzz?

I agree.... Yeah, Gagne is one of the best, but the bullpen was not an issue.... ours is the envy of all baseball. We need to put runs up.... can't continue scoring just a few runs a game and expect to hold of the Yankees. WMP needs to go to a team where he'll get his at-bats and JD needs to suck it up and say 'I'm sorry I am not worth all the money you are paying me' and give a large chunk of it to the Jimmy Fund. Overpaid is an understatement. Lastly, we need a backup catcher who can hit at least .250 as well as catch Wakefield.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dtam83. Show dtam83's posts

Who's got the buzz?

being a lottery team in 3-4 years is still better than being a lottery for 3-4 years

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from hockeyrocks. Show hockeyrocks's posts

Who's got the buzz?

Yes the Sox are the talk of the town; the Celtics' trade was huge, but it's still baseball season my friends. Regardless, after watching last night's performance; the Sox had better start getting their heads out of their a""es and start winning games they're supposed to win. Inexcusible losing at home with your ace on the mound, and giving back 2 games in a matter of 3 days. Gagne or not - they keep playing like this, and they'll be the ones fighting for the Wild Card sooner than you think.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from schmangell. Show schmangell's posts

Who's got the buzz?

Carnage, that's exactly the point.

Here we had the perfect opportunity to get rid of WMP. The White Sox wanted him and Manny Delcarmen. AND WE TURNED IT DOWN. After acquiring Gagne, we could afford to give up Delcarmen plus we would have Jermaine Dye's great bat, which we sorely need.

Of course, by the time we signed Gagne, Theo SAYS the White Sox had decided to try and resign Dye. Que sera sera.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from alexmiller6677. Show alexmiller6677's posts

Who's got the buzz?

I'm sorry, but Theo really dropped the ball this time. While I am happy to gain a pitcher the caliber of Gagne at the trade deadline, I can't help but think he really didn't address the issues the Sox have at this time. The bullpen, and pitching has been our lifeboat through this season of woeful offensive production. I am willing to say that the only deals made during an offseason that were worth anything (Beckett, Lowell) were during a time when Theo was too busy trying to get out of a gorilla suit.

Lets look at a few. JD Drew, Lugo, Renteria, to some extent Crisp (although he's been spectacular on defense, and with the bat as of late) all Epstein people, guys the baseball ops guys fell in love with, and who the Red Sox shelled way too much money for considering their actual value.

Drew can't hit water if he fell off a boat.... Renteria did not have the makeup to survive Boston, Lugo... well... Lugo has to be the single worst player I have ever seen in a uniform(any uniform), his at bats this year have been an example of futility, and his glove is about as useful as a sponge for protection against a bullet.

Less we forget Willy Mo for Arroyo? Do you have any brains? Any? Theo is more of a sadist then Hitler.

The Sox didn't get any better at the trade deadline because unless we can score runs all our pitching staff is going to do is lose 1-0 games the rest of the year.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from antares8. Show antares8's posts

Who's got the buzz?

I guess it does make sense to have impeccable relief pitching when seemingly every other day you have to protect a 1-0 or 2-1 lead.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from tbh123. Show tbh123's posts

Who's got the buzz?

What has WMP proven? that he can hit a fastball right down the middle of the plate.WOW

Hinske is a FORMER Rookie of the yr. Who can play 3 positions OK.

Like you don't get nervous when a fly ball is hit to RF with WMP out there?

Hinske is a better option in any situation. I'm not saying hes the best out there but comparing the 2 I take Hinske anyday. You can throw all the stats you want out here. Any pitcher who throw WMP any pitch but a fastball will make him look like a fool anyday.

Hes the freakin HAl Gill of the sox. All size with no knowledge of how to use it.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from burner10. Show burner10's posts

Who's got the buzz?

I agree, at 24 Kason Gabbard looks like a viable starter for years to come. We have two starters over 40 years of age, both of whom have had some DL time over the last couple of years. This might help now, but we may regret it in a year or two.