1. You have chosen to ignore posts from me9. Show me9's posts

Why David Pauley???

Tampa's losing, so the Sox throw David Pauley out there to pitch??? Where's Dice-K??? Guess they're satisfied with the Wild Card??? Congrats, Tampa, you've won the AL East!!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bpoojsna. Show bpoojsna's posts

Why David Pauley???

yea more rest for dice-k ... and the wild card is fine, its gonna be very tough to catch the rays... no need to tire the starters and risk injury to try and catch the rays.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mudbugger. Show mudbugger's posts

Why David Pauley???

hey me...its called having a better matchup for the playoffs.
    right now i would rather play the angels...than the twins. And setting the rotation exactely the way you want for a short series. Keep your eye on the prize (and its not the AL division title) and don't lose focus.

and of course...in THEO everyone should trust.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ufcchamp. Show ufcchamp's posts

Why David Pauley???

Probably didn't want a warm-up...cool down...with the rain.....plus, I'll bet they want to push Dice K until Sat or Sunday since he won't pitch again until next weekend. They'll go Dice-man tomorrow, a scrub on Sun and skip Beckett because if he goes on Sat, he won't get his 4 days rest if LAA choose to start Wed......which, uhhh hummmm, I predicted.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from odysseus91. Show odysseus91's posts

Why David Pauley???

catching Tampa would take a hell of a lot of luck. If it happened it would be great but if it doesnt o well. I think it was probably a good idea to move Dice-K back a start

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from unstable1. Show unstable1's posts

Why David Pauley???

sad to see red sox just give up on al east, thought they had a chance lately.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from amishrockstar. Show amishrockstar's posts

Why David Pauley???

Nice job .. dropping back and punt on 3rd down. There will plenty of time to rest players after the Halo's sweep.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mhotchkiss4. Show mhotchkiss4's posts

Why David Pauley???

Bottomline is that Tito wanted to lose tonight and throwing in Pauley is his way of ensuring it (check the score lately?). It takes the pressure off of him having to play his best players by letting TB win the East tonight instead of dragging it out and possibly having the pressure mount for him to go for it if TB loses (which they are). I'm sure it's Theo's sneaky plan, as always he thinks he is just so much smarter than everyone else (he's not, he's just a cocky weasel ... very good at developing farm system, but horrible at selecting (free agents & trading) talent ... remember Matt Clement, Lugo, Ardsma ... not to mention the long list of other crappy pitchers he's signed).

Honestly, I have mixed emotions, no doubt Tito would rather have the ALDS series that allows him to use only 3 starters ... we only get that if we are the WC and play LAA. In my opinion it's a very risky plan ... but to quote every bad movie "it's so stupid it just might work" ... we better hope we catch LAA flat footed since they haved owned us this year. Personally I'd rather play CWS or Minn but if LAA starts Lackey I feel we have a decent shot of stealing game 1 so who knows??? Anyway, it's a mute point now be Pauley is nothing more than a AAA pitcher and has already given up 7 runs in 2.2 innings (hehehe, and now Arddma's in). Without Lowell or Drew not sure we would go very far anyway.

I just bought my game 3 ALDS tix today so I'll be there to root them on one way or another.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mhotchkiss4. Show mhotchkiss4's posts

Why David Pauley???

Bottomline is that Tito wanted to lose tonight and throwing in Pauley is his way of ensuring it (check the score lately?). It takes the pressure off of him having to play his best players by letting TB win the East tonight instead of dragging it out and possibly having the pressure mount for him to go for it if TB loses (which they are). I'm sure it's Theo's sneaky plan, as always he thinks he is just so much smarter than everyone else (he's not, he's just a cocky weasel ... very good at developing farm system, but horrible at selecting (free agents & trading) talent ... remember Matt Clement, Lugo, Ardsma ... not to mention the long list of other crappy pitchers he's signed).

Honestly, I have mixed emotions, no doubt Tito would rather have the ALDS series that allows him to use only 3 starters ... we only get that if we are the WC and play LAA. In my opinion it's a very risky plan ... but to quote every bad movie "it's so stupid it just might work" ... we better hope we catch LAA flat footed since they haved owned us this year. Personally I'd rather play CWS or Minn but if LAA starts Lackey I feel we have a decent shot of stealing game 1 so who knows??? Anyway, it's a mute point now be Pauley is nothing more than a AAA pitcher and has already given up 7 runs in 2.2 innings (hehehe, and now Arddma's in). Without Lowell or Drew not sure we would go very far anyway.

I just bought my game 3 ALDS tix today so I'll be there to root them on one way or another.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mhotchkiss4. Show mhotchkiss4's posts

Why David Pauley???

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ND. Show ND's posts

Why David Pauley???

I think Rays are going to have a hard time winning against Tigers. I think Boston should have gone for a kill and sent their best 3 maybe for 4/5 innings. Settling for Wild Card means probably get kicked on their butt by Angels, who have kicked the RS butts this year.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mhotchkiss4. Show mhotchkiss4's posts

Why David Pauley???

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mhotchkiss4. Show mhotchkiss4's posts

Why David Pauley???

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mhotchkiss4. Show mhotchkiss4's posts

Why David Pauley???

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mhotchkiss4. Show mhotchkiss4's posts

Why David Pauley???

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from mhotchkiss4. Show mhotchkiss4's posts

Why David Pauley???

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ltpm3. Show ltpm3's posts

Why David Pauley???

Good God, what is Francona thinking? Tampa Bay is losing 6 to 3 in the 8th inning, why is he giving them the Championship and leaving us with the wild card when it could have possibly been reversed if HE has played a starting pitcher? Is he losing his mind? 12 to 3 HOLY CRAP!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Flapjack07. Show Flapjack07's posts

Why David Pauley???

Pauley is atrocious every time he pitches for us...I realize this was a last-minute throw-in kind of thing, but is he the best we could do? Damn, I would have rather seen Colon out there.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ND. Show ND's posts

Why David Pauley???

Looks like the RS want to give the Yankees a run in each and every inning. God bless FranCOMA.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mhotchkiss4. Show mhotchkiss4's posts

Why David Pauley???

sry about all the posts, this blog locks up and it looks like it didn't go thru ... i guess it did ... 5 times! :( sry!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Why David Pauley???

Y'all would be spending valuable assets on a real long shot. Just to give you a rough idea of the odds against us, if each RS and TB were a coinflip, then the odds of us catching TB would be 1-64. The absolutely worst thing that CL did last year was to try to get the HFA against us. The thing that did the NYY in each year was wasting their guys down the stretch.

I'm not saying it would be nice to have caught them, and if all we had to do was make up one game, I might think otherwise, but when the chances of us catching TB is probably in the range of 2%, it doesn't make sense not to rest guys.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from gibsonsg. Show gibsonsg's posts

Why David Pauley???

Winning the AL East IS important- for home field advantage! We suck on the road, and we dominate at Fenway. Fancona should have gone all out with Dice-K tonight for that reason alone. If the Sox finish with a better record than the Rays they would be in better shape for the whole post-season.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

Why David Pauley???

Why Pauley? I reckon it's because while Francona has been driving for the division title, appropriately imho, he has now decided that, short of a miracle, it's not going to happen so he's put up the white flag and is preparing his SPs for the playoffs.

I think his strategy is blindingly obvious. The debate is whether that strategy is correct. I agree 100% with Francona.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Chilliwings. Show Chilliwings's posts

Why David Pauley???

I think neurpows2me's question about Papi not getting some innings at 1B is relevant....and a bit scary....if he was healthy surely he'd get a few run outs at 1B....either he's physically able to do it or he's not, right?

That leaves us with two options if we make the WS: Papi pinch hits in the NL parks, or he grabs a glove and we hope for the best.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Why David Pauley???

[Quote].

I think his strategy is blindingly obvious. The debate is whether that strategy is correct. I agree 100% with Francona.[/Quote]

AT first I wasn't sure about it. I thought taking one more game to put pressure on Tampa wouldn't hurt. But the more I thought about it, the more I realize this actually i s the right move. With no margin for error, Francona probably is right. After all, even if we won both today and tomorrow and Tampa lost both days, it still wouldn't be enough. So why not take a day and set up the rotation you are going to need in the post-season?

The reality of the situation is that going for the AL East suddenly mandates that Paul Byrd pitches twice in a 5 game post-season series. And the home field advantage still might not happen regardless of the Sox winning out.

So whats worth more? One more game at Fenway, or one more post-season start from Byrd as opposed to the other three?

Sections
Shortcuts