1. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Why did the front office lie about Beckett?

Obviously Josh has serious elbow problems, we will be damn lucky if we see him again this year.

Why did the Sox upper management insist he had numbness and tingling in the fingers possibly caused by the way he was sleeping, when they knew all along he had an elbow injury? What is to be gained by lying to your fans?

Gives a even more credibility to a lot of Manny Ramirez statements about the FO and why he said something like , "they are sick of me and I am sick of them"

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bert0529. Show Bert0529's posts

As of now, we don't know that Josh has serious elbow problems (I know what we're all afraid of, but let's not get ahead of ourselves). I think the misinformation isn't intended to the fans. Strategically, what does it matter what they tell us? Rather, I think they'd rather play a possible injury to one of the starters as close to the vest as possible. They always try to deal and make decisions from a better informed position than the other guys. Our accurate knowledge of Becket's arm is just collateral damage. While it annoys me a bit, I'd rather they do the right thing for the organization than indulge my need to know everything.

It's clear how they could have been sick of Manny. He didn't honor his contract. It's also clear why Manny was sick of them- they did honor it.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[Quote]
    As of now, we don't know that Josh has serious elbow problems (I know what we're all afraid of, but let's not get ahead of ourselves). I think the misinformation isn't intended to the fans. Strategically, what does it matter what they tell us? Rather, I think they'd rather play a possible injury to one of the starters as close to the vest as possible. They always try to deal and make decisions from a better informed position than the other guys. Our accurate knowledge of Becket's arm is just collateral damage. While it annoys me a bit, I'd rather they do the right thing for the organization than indulge my need to know everything.

It's clear how they could have been sick of Manny. He didn't honor his contract. It's also clear why Manny was sick of them- they did honor it.[/Quote]

They have removed him from the rotation on two occasions. This is a pennant race and we are in second place and not solidly in for the wildcard.

Do you really believe that Beckett is not heading for the DL, and surgery?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from M1A2. Show M1A2's posts

What cover up, for crying out loud? He pitched great in the bullpen this week and Francona had every expectation he could start tonight. Apparently, he didn't feel so good the next day.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

If he is headed for the DL and surgery, that's life. No one will feel sorry for the Sox or the fans. Someone else will just have to step up and pitch meaningful innings. I am the last person ready to run up the white flag. Hopefully, they shut him down to get ready for the playoffs. A players health is most important for the long term. So, if that means no Josh unitil 2009, that's just the way it is. I want a healthy Beckett in 2009, as well. The Sox know how to win, especially in a short series. I say, everyone relax and enjoy. We will still find a way to get it done!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

1-We don't know that Beckett's injured. Like you, I'm suspicious. A visit to Dr. Andrews is like a visit from the IRS. It is never, ever good.

2-Having said that, as a RS, I do not want the truth known. It is decidedly against my best interests for the FO to be truthful. It's kind of like the gov't. Honesty is fine, but if we are out of oil, what good does it do me for us to tell OPEC? If I would be happy with a 5-day visit to LV instead of a 6-day visit, why should I advertise that to my wife? That gets me nothing.

For example, suppose we are talking to TO about acquiring Burnett. If we tell the TO FO that Beckett is out for the year, what do you think TO's response will be? They'll be telling us to reach into our pockets for another prospect.

Same with Byrd. We got him for nothing. If CL thought Beckett was done for the season, they might've held out for a prospect.

Same with Kotsay. I'm suspicious that we might've seen the last of Drew for the year. But why advertise it? I'd prefer to trade for their replacements and make the announcement subsequently.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

They have removed him from the rotation on two occasions. This is a pennant race and we are in second place and not solidly in for the wildcard.

Assuming this is true, it will be true irregardless of whether or not the FO is honest about Beckett. Announcing Beckett is out for the year leaves us no closer nor no farther away.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bert0529. Show Bert0529's posts

[Quote]1-We don't know that Beckett's injured. Like you, I'm suspicious. A visit to Dr. Andrews is like a visit from the IRS. It is never, ever good.

2-Having said that, as a RS, I do not want the truth known. It is decidedly against my best interests for the FO to be truthful. It's kind of like the gov't. Honesty is fine, but if we are out of oil, what good does it do me for us to tell OPEC? If I would be happy with a 5-day visit to LV instead of a 6-day visit, why should I advertise that to my wife? That gets me nothing.

For example, suppose we are talking to TO about acquiring Burnett. If we tell the TO FO that Beckett is out for the year, what do you think TO's response will be? They'll be telling us to reach into our pockets for another prospect.

Same with Byrd. We got him for nothing. If CL thought Beckett was done for the season, they might've held out for a prospect.

Same with Kotsay. I'm suspicious that we might've seen the last of Drew for the year. But why advertise it? I'd prefer to trade for their replacements and make the announcement subsequently.
    [/Quote]

Well said. That's my point better than I made it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rgmfick. Show rgmfick's posts

I think this topic is based on erroneous information contained in another topic indicating "bad news from Alabama". In fact, the only information reported in SI.COM (indicated as a source by the initiater/ poster here) is that Josh is being examined in Alabama by Dr. Andrews. There is no indication, as there should not be, Dr. Andrews prognosis, treatment and/or any other recommendation is being reported to Sports Illustrated prior to it being reported to Josh Beckett, The Red Sox or its front office. It would seem some posters and topics in this forum get way ahead of themselves and don't understand reliable commentary based on any kind of reliable source. It is too bad as some of us would like to be able to read reliable information.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bert0529. Show Bert0529's posts

[Quote]I think this topic is based on erroneous information contained in another topic indicating "bad news from Alabama". In fact, the only information reported in SI.COM (indicated as a source by the initiater/ poster here) is that Josh is being examined in Alabama by Dr. Andrews. There is no indication, as there should not be, Dr. Andrews prognosis, treatment and/or any other recommendation is being reported to Sports Illustrated prior to it being reported to Josh Beckett, The Red Sox or its front office. It would seem some posters and topics in this forum get way ahead of themselves and don't understand reliable commentary based on any kind of reliable source. It is too bad as some of us would like to be able to read reliable information.[/Quote]

A forum is never a place to read reliable information so it may be best to drop that expectation.

The OP was not reacting to the thread you mentioned. He was drawing a conclusion based on a pattern of action that has been seen before. Pitcher X misses a start, but should be fine, then he almost comes back, then he goes to see Dr. Andrews, then scalpels fly.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Micksoxx. Show Micksoxx's posts

Ahhhhhh, conspiracy theories, the fuel of 85 IQs everywhere...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ocram. Show ocram's posts

The Sox did lie, so do all other teams about injuries. this is S.O.P.

Dont fool yourself, in my opinion, he will miss the next scheduled start, even though the elbow is "clean"

they will baby him until post season, and they should! they need him against Anaheim in the playoffs!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreamer007. Show dreamer007's posts

i recall the Twins organization dealing with Francisco Liariano
    about the same ... rested him, let him pitch again and then
    ended up shutting him down for tommy john...

it isnt as easy as it seems to be deciding on these health
    issues

i am NOT saying Beckett needs TJ surgery, just that it may come
    to that ... the only way is for him to go out and test the elbow,
    and see how well he pitches

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Nuf-Ced. Show Nuf-Ced's posts

Idiot

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[Quote]Well, it appears that Zillagod ( is that a video game with monsters?) has an unhealthy paranoia about the motivations of the FO. The FO sent Manny packing and he is still very upset. Where is Firefligh, she went down to Philly and Wash. to see #99 and has jinxed the Dodgers. Anyway, great comments above by Bert and Breidy. In essence, Theo should see the situation and work the waiver line and trade BEFORE he shouts out to us how bad the prognosis is. Wonder if Zillagod ever played poker?[/Quote]

I think Joebriedey answered my question best.

Yes they did lie. But it most likely serves their best interest to lie. I understand that , I just wanted other people's opinions on the reasons why.

Zillagod a video game with monsters, hey I like that great idea! Sadly it has nothing to do with video games or Hideki Matsui , just an anagram for "Godzilla" that happens to be one of my favorite songs by Blue Oyster Cult.

I played poker quite a bit in my younger days, and I suffer no paranoias , healthy , unhealthy or otherwise.

Am I upset about Manny being traded? Well yes. He is one heck of a hitter , and a very entertaining player ( I do watch baseball to be entertained) I think Bay is a good young player but dull compared to Manny.That does not mean I have given up hope , I think this team can win without Manny, but I just hate the way this FO always turns our superstars into villians( Damon, Pedro , Lowe, Nomar in addition to Manny ) I understand that it is a business, but I do get attached to these guys who are here for a while and win us a lot of games.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trebor. Show Trebor's posts

Everyone needs to calm down and read the report on Beckett, seems that its not all that serious and is scheduled to pitch in Texas.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

just an anagram for "Godzilla" that happens to be one of my favorite songs by Blue Oyster Cult.

1-I've seen a lot of Zilla's posts and they are always well thought out.

2-No one that is a RS fan and a BOC fan can be all wrong. I've heard the Reaper song about 4000 times and it is as fresh as ever.

3-Ocram has it nailed. I don't give a rat's a$$ whether Beckett pitches another game until 5 days before the POs. If we get the vintage Beckett back in time for LAA, I couldn't care less if we sneak in as the WC.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mpieretti. Show mpieretti's posts

It makes perfect sense that Theo would withold information about an injury to Beckett, or any other red sox player for that matter. Theo's job is to win. Not please the fan base on a day to day basis... Just as Breidey so clearly stated.

My feeling is that Theo could have also benefitted by being a little more tight lipped about Manny's antics before the trade. If they hadn't called him out so publicly maybe Theo wouldn't have had to give up two players in addition to Manny and his salary.

At the time, I thought Theo's anger got the better of him, and it cost us maybe Moss or Hansen...

We'll never know, but discresion is always best.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from goznes. Show goznes's posts

A dull player who hits is better than an entertaining player who doesn't, whether because he can't or won't. Go Bay! The hitting provides the entertainment.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from walterjohnson07. Show walterjohnson07's posts

Some good points above about the cloak-and-dagger methods of the FO, which are absolutely necessary to manage negotiations - not to mention team morale and fan expectations. I think Theo held off the announcement about Beckett's scratch from the Friday start until after the NY series to avoid hurting team morale while we were in a position to sweep.

Personally I'm not upset at all about the departure of 99. He was wrecking the team. Imagine the impact in the clubhouse. He was deliberately sabotaging the season for his own selfish purposes. How can that be defended?

As for other "villains," Nomar very likely faked his way to the DL, after rejecting a $60 million deal. Thank goodness for that. "Disrespected" Pedro, who only received $92 million from the Sox, demanded 4 years and got it - but how has that worked out for the Mets? Damon has had an uneven tenure with NY and has become an albatross defensively. Lowe has been average with the Dodgers. I say these were good hard decisions by the FO, and some of the players' bitterness may be rooted in the fact that they were outsmarted.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

Always the skeptic, I am still not 100% sure Beckett is O.K.

I don't understand how a guy can be given a clean bill of health , yet they send him to the DL, and push his next start back another week.

I guess we'll have to wait for the next chapter in this bizarre tale of the ace pitcher , who hasn't pitched like an ace all season,who is removed from the rotation in the heat of a penneant race,yet is O.K.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[Quote]Asked if there was any indication what had plagued Beckett, Epstein replied, "I'm not a doctor, but the best guess was sort of a slightly irritated nerve that was exacerbated by sleeping funny on it and pitching through it.
    That is why he is being given a rest. Papelbon, if you remember, needed a rest last September.[/Quote]

"sleeping funny on it" caused problems with his elbow? , not throwing 95 MPH fastballs?

Do you see now why this all sounds so ridiculous? If you slept "funny" would you be able to tell your boss you can't come to work for two weeks?

Sorry , but I'm not buying that.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from siestafiesta. Show siestafiesta's posts

Think back a couple months and you saw the same exact post about Papi. Can't remember who started it but the crux of it was that Theo was lying to the public and he knew Papi needed the surgery and was done for the season. Well it turned out that everything they said about his timetable was also right.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZILLAGOD. Show ZILLAGOD's posts

[Quote]Think back a couple months and you saw the same exact post about Papi. Can't remember who started it but the crux of it was that Theo was lying to the public and he knew Papi needed the surgery and was done for the season. Well it turned out that everything they said about his timetable was also right. [/Quote]

While Ortiz is indeed back in the lineup, he is not 100 %. Anyone can see his power numbers are down, 4 HR's in 6 weeks since his return.

I don' t know about you , but I believe surgery awaits Ortiz in the off-season. He is trying to tough it out , but he is not the power threat we have come to expect.

Beckett may be "all right" with no ligament damage , but does this mean he is going to be the power pitcher who was so dominant in 2007? or will he be "the better than your average pitcher" we have seen for most of 2008, just because they say he is 'all right doesn't mean he is going to be lights out.

Sections
Shortcuts