1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

Why is Buchholz untouchable?

WHy is Theo so unwilling to deal Buchholz.

Apparently we can't deal him for Saltalamachia; we can't deal him for Prince Fielder; and we can't deal him for Michael Young.

Why?

What exactly are the expectations for Buchholz?

Is there actually a belief that he will be a 20 game winner at some point? I don't see what the fascination is.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jiminycricket. Show jiminycricket's posts

santana also would have cost them ellsbury...you moron who thinks buch was the dealbreaker.

nobody said buch was untouchable. it's just that pitching doesn't blossom at age 23 most of the time.

you think the giants are happy they traded joe nathan for a catcher?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

Decent pitchers are a dime a dozen.

The Sox MUST believe that Buchholz is going to be an All-Star. That is the only way their reluctance to deal him makes any sense.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from youngdavid74. Show youngdavid74's posts

He's probably a potential 18 - 20 game winner. Think about it. Why does every team we try to trade for a catcher want him so bad. When he is on he can be unhittable. Yes he stumbled last year, but what young player doesn't. He will rebound. Iff he doesn't than hindsite is 20/20.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

Well, then I think you are not seeing Buchholz clearly. You are blinded by hope.

I don't see the the kid ever wining more than 13 games in a season. If his value is high right now - I say sell, sell, sell.

Get me Michael Young at SS.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

Most "hot" major league prospects never pan out.

I'd much rather trade him for an established bat than hope for him to be a "maybe, probably, quite possibly 18 - 20 game winner if everything goes right"

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

Buch is way ahead of schedule. The kid came up with stuff that blew everyone away...threw a no-no. Like every young pitcher, he went through a period of having to learn about making adjustments, concentration, and consistency. In fact, he's still growing. Now, what don't you understand? Did you expect him to win 20 last year? If so, I can understand how/why you're willing to throw him under the bus.

Those who begin with expectations will always be disappointed, simply put.

Of course, if you're just a stat boy, you have a lot to support your argument. In fact, we could take it a step further and say, "What's a matter with this kid/rookie! He didn't win 20; fell short of our expectations! Ged rid of him quickly, before he gets worse." Have you considered the fact that he might improve? According to John Farrell, he definitely has the stuff.

Have you considered the fact that so many teams ask for Buch in a trade? Obviously, he has a lot of percieved value. Pity, you don't see it. His stuff is electric. Of course, he's still got some growing to do.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bossoxAl. Show bossoxAl's posts

Hanley is not that good of a defensive SS. So if we let Lowrie go, Lugo is are SS and we will need another infielder to play 2th and ss. The FO must know what how good Clay will be, as we do not. We can talk all we want and that is just it, talk. They know what they are during as you can witness as what they have done so far.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bill-806. Show Bill-806's posts

FORGET SANTANA ...... HE IS IN THE TWILIGHT OF HIS TIME...... THEO KNOWS WHAT HE IS DOING..... BACK OFF BOYS !!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

I didn't expect him to win 20 last year. I don't expect him to win 20 ever.

The point is: If I had a nickel for every "HOT" major league prospect that never panned out, I'd be a rich man.

In this case, I'd go for the established player over a Buchholz who REGRESSED as the season went on.

He was a mess - and couldn't even stay in the MLB.

I'm glad lots of teams value Buchholz - that makes it even better to trade him. If they wait for him to have another disappointing season, we'll be trading him for a back-up infielder next year.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from youngdavid74. Show youngdavid74's posts

I guess that means we made the wrong move with Clemens, and Hurst By this Logic. We should have traded them away because all they had was potential. Will Clay pan out. Maybe, maybe not. But you have to take that risk. With Clemens and Hurst it worked. With Fossum, and Suppan it didn't. Lets see what happens with Clay and Bowden.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BosoxJoe5. Show BosoxJoe5's posts

[Quote]Buch is way ahead of schedule. The kid came up with stuff that blew everyone away...threw a no-no. Like every young pitcher, he went through a period of having to learn about making adjustments, concentration, and consistency. In fact, he's still growing. Now, what don't you understand? Did you expect him to win 20 last year? If so, I can understand how/why you're willing to throw him under the bus.

Those who begin with expectations will always be disappointed, simply put.

Of course, if you're just a stat boy, you have a lot to support your argument. In fact, we could take it a step further and say, "What's a matter with this kid/rookie! He didn't win 20; fell short of our expectations! Ged rid of him quickly, before he gets worse." Have you considered the fact that he might improve? According to John Farrell, he definitely has the stuff.

Have you considered the fact that so many teams ask for Buch in a trade? Obviously, he has a lot of percieved value. Pity, you don't see it. His stuff is electric. Of course, he's still got some growing to do.[/Quote]

Amazing post!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

At this point he has to keep Buchholtz and hope he becomes the next Santana, to vindicate his "genius".
    Buchholtz was the deal-breaker, not Ellsbury. Theo was willing to part with Ells.
    Hard to justify holding onto Buc. to not get Santana, then trade him for Salty. It's all about Theo's image, not what is best for the Sox.
    Like any young talented pitcher, Buc is a crap shoot. Santana was and is the real deal. Salty is a gamble, Theo is not willing to take. How would he look if Santana goes on to win 3 Cy Youngs, Ells turns out to be average, Buchholtz never grows or worse yet, he trades him for Salty and he Buchholtz excells?
    Well, I suppose, Theo apologist will find some way to glossy coat that as well.
    I like Buc and Ells, but it was Santana for God's sake!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from berg30. Show berg30's posts

Perhaps Theo is holding on to Buch b/c he feels that they will be able to get better value for him at the trade deadline. To trade a valuable prospect before the season for a catcher who to this point has not proven himself is stupid especially when there are going to be big bats available at the deadline (possibly holiday and/or fielder). Everyone knows that teams want young pitchers in return for deadline deals. Theo is content to let him put up great number at Pawtucket for the first few months to inflate his stock then deal him for something at the end of July. If you blow your load before the season begins then how can you deal for the player(s) you may need for the stretch run. And... in the event that we do keep him long term at worst he is a 4th or 5th starter for us for years to come. I'd say he is wise not to trade him now.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PSFever. Show PSFever's posts

[Quote]santana also would have cost them ellsbury...you moron who thinks buch was the dealbreaker.

nobody said buch was untouchable. it's just that pitching doesn't blossom at age 23 most of the time.

you think the giants are happy they traded joe nathan for a catcher?[/Quote]

I agreed with Theo's decision not to trade Buchholz, Ellsbury and possibly Bowden, Masterson or Lowrie for Santana. Now I'm just shaking my head in disbelief, especially since Clay has absolutely no spot anywhere on our roster in 09 without a minor miracle. So Clay spends another year at AAA to work on his skills in hopes of reaching his potential in 2010?

Theo is really putting his reputation on a line for this kid, I really hope Clay
    returns the favor at some point.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

Why would I take "maybe or maybe not" - when I can deal Buchholz for Michael Young - and have an all-star bat and SS guaranteed?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

By the way - I think Ellsbury has HUGE upside and has proven to be a future star worth keeping. He fields ike crazy and runs like crazy. If he can develop a more consistent hitting approach - he will be great.

He appears to be ascending.

Not Buchholz. He is regressing.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[Quote]santana also would have cost them ellsbury...you moron who thinks buch was the dealbreaker.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from youngdavid74. Show youngdavid74's posts

So I guess pitching in the Arizona fall league and gaining his confidence back was considered not working in your Screwed up little world. The coaches think this kid has it. One season doesn't make a career.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Hey, Buc was the dealbreaker, Ells was never pulled from the table, hence, he was NOT the deal breaker, he was just a piece to the puzzle.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from youngdavid74. Show youngdavid74's posts

Iff you think that a trade would be done for Buckholtz and young straight up. Keep dreaming. Young has had great years. not just one no hitter. I like Buckholtz. But even iff I was the Rangers I wouldn't do that. Keep in mind youngs range at shortstop is starting to decline. which is why they want to move him to third.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[Quote]Well, then I think you are not seeing Buchholz clearly. You are blinded by hope.

I don't see the the kid ever wining more than 13 games in a season. If his value is high right now - I say sell, sell, sell.

Get me Michael Young at SS.[/Quote]

My instinct is that you simply hate the RS, but I don't talking to NYY fans, living in the Bronx like I do.

1-I think Buchholz has as much talent as I've seen since Clemens. I think he has more 'stuff' than Lester. My guess is that when he gets it, he'll be as good as anyone in BB. But there is certainly no certainty that he will get it. And I doubt there is any 'in-between'. Bowden could be a 2, 3, or 4. Buch will likely be an ace or nothing.

2-Anyone that wants Young to be their SS has to be a Yankee fan

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

joebreidy - you are an idiot. Go away.
    I want a bat that will help the sox win - I'm not interested in your fantasies about Clay Buchholz.

To sum up:

I want the Sox to trade a guy who will be in AAA all 2009 for a bat that will help them win. You want the team to cling to "hot" major league prospects, thereby guaranteeing they won't win in 2009.

Because you love the sox? Riiiiiiiight....

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

Soxchemistry - nice detective work.

Keep the day job.