1. This post has been removed.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

Why is Buchholz untouchable?

Let's not focus on Michael Young. I'll Take Prince Fielder.

I am advocating shipping Clay and some "hot" major league prospects for an impact bat.

So we can try to win this year. I know that is a radical idea (winning THIS year) - but I'm interested in winning.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Theo can't trade him now, cause Theo staked his rep on Buc to turn out better than Santana. How can he now trade him for Young, or salty, or....
    Not gonna happen!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from youngdavid74. Show youngdavid74's posts

Don't think it is complete certainty that he will not be in the rotation. alot depends on what he shows in spring training. Keep in mind that Smoltz won't be ready till the end of May at least. Also Penny Is coming off an Injury so it will depend on where he is at. In any event Buckholtz will get innings this year. It's a long season. You can never have enough arms. Look how many different pitchers started games for us last year.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PSFever. Show PSFever's posts

My instinct is that you simply hate the RS, but I don't talking to NYY fans, living in the Bronx like I do.

1-I think Buchholz has as much talent as I've seen since Clemens. I think he has more 'stuff' than Lester. My guess is that when he gets it, he'll be as good as anyone in BB. But there is certainly no certainty that he will get it. And I doubt there is any 'in-between'. Bowden could be a 2, 3, or 4. Buch will likely be an ace or nothing.

2-Anyone that wants Young to be their SS has to be a Yankee fan
    from Joebreidey in Post #9208208450494247579

Hey Joe,

I agree with not going after Young, he has a crippling contract and been in a steady decline the past couple years. The Rangers would have to pay a huge portion of his salary for the Sox to even consider a deal and Lowrie is a better long term option anyway. I also agree with your assessment of Clay to an extent, there is no way Clay has the Clemens type fast ball some claimed he had. Another year at AAA with no real prayer of breaking our roster next season really makes me wonder what Theo's plan might be?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

No hitters has always been the best stat to rate the best pitchers, after all Doc Ellis pitched one while on LSD. He must be better than no-no hitter Roger Clemens... brilliant.
    Have you really deluded yourself to think Buc is better than Santana?
    Maybe this whole "Theo Chick" things is more widespread than even Law thinks.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PaulRodgers. Show PaulRodgers's posts

maybe theo is using reverse psycology.

after deeming him "untouchable" for so long, he is actually laying ground work for his possible departure.

clay looks so great only because we won't include him in any deals. theo, deep down, knows we can do without him.

so we pull a trade for a high caliber player, and only giving up a mediocre pitcher.

teams think he is gold because we tell them that he is gold and not by his current stats, but his potential.
    smart baseball using a little smoke and mirrors.

if you all give me any crap, then i was kidding.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from youngdavid74. Show youngdavid74's posts

Hope those of us that like him a right as well. In any seense he's not going anywhere so might as well support him.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

Michael Young had 5 consecutive seasons with more than 200 hits and then had 185 last season.

That seems like an interesting guy to add from my point of view.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from emp9. Show emp9's posts

Yeah, we should've given up half our prospects and still have to pay Santana over $20mil a year. I can't believe we're still talking about this. Ughh!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from OscarGamble. Show OscarGamble's posts

So....Buchholz is overhyped and won't win more than 13 games in a season but he's the first name and central figure when every other team wants to talk trade w/ Boston?

Either way, methinks he'd be available if the catchers last name happened to be McCann, Mauer or Martin. For Saltalamacchia, who's most noteworthy achievement thusfar is a last name that runs from armpit to armpit on a road uni? I think not.
    Buchholz "hiccup" last season is definitely not uncommon but apparently Minnesota, Texas are still pretty interested. My guess is because he's had a dominant track record up until last year, won't be 25 'til the end of this season and his two most ML-ready pitches, his change and curve; are secondary pitches. That bodes well; he's proven he can throw them for strikes. Couldn't use either pitch effectively in '08 because of his poor fastball location; always behind in the count. That certainly needs to improve but should come w/ more seasoning. Most importantly, he's a young, INEXPENSIVE, moderately-successful starting pitcher with, accurate or not, a perceived high upside. That remains the most valuable commodity in all trade scenarios not involving established players.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

I'd trade him and about 3 other "hot" prospects for Mauer.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

By the way, if he repeats his 2008 performance - Buchholz won't be worth a rosin-bag in a trade.

Now is the time to strike!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from OscarGamble. Show OscarGamble's posts

His value is currently the lowest it's ever been and now you want to trade? Got any stock tips?

BtW, Saltalamacchia has done nothing thusfar, other than being preposterously overhyped, and will probably end up at 1B.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChrisHouse. Show ChrisHouse's posts

I've read quite a few threads today and I am confused as to if Law2005 is a Red Sox fan or a Yankee fan and he is also extremely rude and simplistic. So Dewey you say that he has analytical prowess but from what I have read he loses every logical argument wthout exception and is also disliked by 95% of the people in here. Perhaps if I go back and dive into the archives then his arguments have some merit but from what I read today they don't. When he is tested to respond with facts, sources, or logic, he responds like a child and spews childish defensive remarks that I find embarassing for an adult.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

If you follow stocks, you'll know that holding onto a sinking stock is not a good move. People lose their shirts saying "well it can't go any lower" only to watch a stock continue to tumble.

Right now, there is apparently enough good will and "hope" surrounding Buchholz to overcome the reality of his actual performance.

Get out now - and use him to get a bat.

Or hold onto him and get nothing but frustration.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from czap. Show czap's posts

Moon, Law Dewey and now Shump. A real circle jerk. Be careful pulling your head out of each others ahole. Idiots abound. Hey Guys, How long you idiots been Redsox fans? Let me guess just 2 years. 2004 and 2007. You pathetic morons.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dabro. Show Dabro's posts

Lester looked really shaky on the mound when he first came up, even before the health issues surfaced. It was amazing to see him transform himself over the past few years into an elite picture. I did not get it a few years ago. Now I understand.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from youngdavid74. Show youngdavid74's posts

If it wouldn't have been reported as a possibility of a trade by the media for these guys. How high up on the radar would they be. Not very. Anything to get some action I guess. This is Ridiculous!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from billy13. Show billy13's posts

The slant you put on the Santana negotiations is drivel. Santana would have cost much more than just Bucholz. His 136mill contract for one. Great non deal by the sox. We reaped the benefits of that "non-trade" by the great seasons of Lester, Masterson and Lowrie. I cant imagine that you would make the Santana deal for the prospects. We are paying Bucholz 400k!! We have him under contract for 6 yrs. Santana makes 23mill.

I disagree with the tone of this thread entirely. Most of you guys were doing the same song and dance about Lester last winter. Same thing and all you knuckleheads were wrong!!!!!!

By all accounts I have read and heard and after seeing Bucholz in person twice last year, its clear to me that he is one of the top pitching prospects in baseball. He has a ceiling of being a "cheap" stud frontline power pitcher. Theo, Francona, Farell, Sox Scouting, and most other scouting reports have consistently confirmed his ability. Their refusal to trade him is a testimony to his potential.

The haters on this site do a disservice to young players like bucholz and Ellsbury, making it harder to succeed in tough towns like Boston and NY. No patience on the part of the fans and organization has cost the yankees and pressured any young players out of town. Boston has developed these young players, and should have the patience to let them perform before giving up.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

[Quote]
    The slant you put on the Santana negotiations is drivel. Santana would have cost much more than just Bucholz. His 136mill contract for one. Great non deal by the sox. We reaped the benefits of that "non-trade" by the great seasons of Lester, Masterson and Lowrie. I cant imagine that you would make the Santana deal for the prospects. We are paying Bucholz 400k!! We have him under contract for 6 yrs. Santana makes 23mill.

I disagree with the tone of this thread entirely. Most of you guys were doing the same song and dance about Lester last winter. Same thing and all you knuckleheads were wrong!!!!!!

By all accounts I have read and heard and after seeing Bucholz in person twice last year, its clear to me that he is one of the top pitching prospects in baseball. He has a ceiling of being a "cheap" stud frontline power pitcher. Theo, Francona, Farell, Sox Scouting, and most other scouting reports have consistently confirmed his ability. Their refusal to trade him is a testimony to his potential.

The haters on this site do a disservice to young players like bucholz and Ellsbury, making it harder to succeed in tough towns like Boston and NY. No patience on the part of the fans and organization has cost the yankees and pressured any young players out of town. Boston has developed these young players, and should have the patience to let them perform before giving up.
    [/Quote]

we don't hate !Buc, we love santana

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

Czap - I'll add you to the list of clowns who are saying Buchholz will win 18 - 20 games.

I've been following the sox for decades - and they ALWAYS have had "hot" major league prospects.

Mike Brown - he was a can't miss guy. Steve Crawford - can't miss guy. Corey Bailey - electric stuff - remember him? Peter Hoy?

How about Ken Ryan - that guy could fire. He was a sure thing.

Buchholz was abysmal last year - and he showed a make-up that doesn't bode well.
    You want to hold onto him and hope he wins 20 games in 2012? Good luck with that.
    Meanwhile the 2009 team needs a bat and a catcher.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Perhaps Theo is holding on to Buch b/c he feels that they will be able to get better value for him at the trade deadline.

I was thinking the same thing myself. You could easily get Montero for a lesser prospect than Buchholz. And then you could go after Fielder if you needed to. I'm not a fan of Fielder, but he's on the block, and it is unlikely that Buchholz' value would decrease in AAA. And we'll have a better knowledge of our health come July.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Theo is really putting his reputation on a line for this kid, I really hope Clay returns the favor at some point.

Not really. GMs make choices like this every day. You'll hit and miss a fair amount, and Theo's judgement on prospects is pretty spot on.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChrisHouse. Show ChrisHouse's posts

Schumpeter once owned an apple orchard but never was convinced that the apples on his trees were any good so he would buy them from the adjacent orchard down the road. It is the same with MLB teams, don't raise your own players when the best ones can be bought from other teams. Perhaps the Red Sox now have a more fertile orchard now compared to years ago, More money to sign the best draft picks, better scouting, better farm system , better development, and more patience. Maybe the present system is better than the system of the old days.

Sections
Shortcuts