1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

Why is Buchholz untouchable?

Let's not focus on Michael Young. I'll Take Prince Fielder.

I am advocating shipping Clay and some "hot" major league prospects for an impact bat.

Fair enough, but the idea that an aging SS with a .741 OPS making $16M is an impact bat is ludicrous. And to compare Fielder with with Young is crazy as well. One is a power bat making close to minimum who we may or may not need, and the other is one of the most overpaid players in the league. If he were put on waivers, no one would pick him up. But you'd fork over our top prospect for him?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[Quote]I'd trade him and about 3 other "hot" prospects for Mauer.[/Quote]

See, now you're making sense. Trading Buchholz on a whim is crazy. Trading Buch ++ for a top-tier player like Mauer, playing a position we really need, is spot on.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

[Quote]
    The slant you put on the Santana negotiations is drivel. Santana would have cost much more than just Bucholz. His 136mill contract for one. Great non deal by the sox. We reaped the benefits of that "non-trade" by the great seasons of Lester, Masterson and Lowrie. I cant imagine that you would make the Santana deal for the prospects. We are paying Bucholz 400k!! We have him under contract for 6 yrs. Santana makes 23mill.

[/Quote]

This is a great post. The Sox can afford to be patient because of the type of organization they have developed. It is great for the fans!

I have a question...Why do some on this board continue banging the drum for Santana? The Sox' organization has made it clear that they don't give huge money and crazy years to pitchers because those types of contracts can cripple the club on the backend...especially because starting pitchers get injured. Since I know this from my home in NJ, why is anyone else surprised that the team did not make the deal? In addition to the money and years, prospects were to be involved. This is a business decision they have made and a business model that they follow even when fans complain. It has served us all well to this point. We need to move on to other topics and hope Clay blossoms in 2009...or 2010 since he is still a kid.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rsinsider. Show rsinsider's posts

[Quote]Lester looked really shaky on the mound when he first came up, even before the health issues surfaced. It was amazing to see him transform himself over the past few years into an elite picture. I did not get it a few years ago. Now I understand.[/Quote]lester went 7-2 with a 4.76 ERA in 15 starts with the Red Sox after his June 10 call-up from Triple-A Pawtucket in o6 as a rookie including A 5-0 START he Became the first Red Sox rookie left-handed pitcher in club history to win his first five decisions. when exactly was he "shaky" Bottom line we dont need to use buc to fill holes right now......

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from czap. Show czap's posts

Hey rsinsider if you dont know Lester was shaky then you missed a bunch of his starts. Sorry you didnt watch him develop instead of thinking his first years were spot on.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from czap. Show czap's posts

Hey schump you started the post with a question about Buch and have done nothing but run him into the ground every time someone defends him. Sit back watch him evolve an say " Told ya so" like the rest of your circle jerks.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

[Quote]Clay has three plus pitches,basically he is a five tool pitcher,and they dont exactly grow on trees! for instance Clay,Bard,Lowrie,Kalish should net Hanley if Fla. wants to move him![/Quote]

+1

Apparently, most of these guys know more about pitching than John Farrell (i.e. the guy that Smoltz is excited to getting to work with). Perhaps, the Sox are wasting their money on Farrell and should be hiring a few of the posters on this board, instead? Then, we can trade away our young pitchers who don't win 20 games (i.e. ALL of them); sign more $150m+ pitchers; and match up financially with that team from new york. What's a draft pick?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rsinsider. Show rsinsider's posts

Ya imust have misssed all those "shaky" starts like an june 16 6 days after call up he beat tim hudson 4 1 or 4 weeks later when he was recording his 5 th win vs kc a ONE HITTER pretty "shaky" 5 and 0

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rsinsider. Show rsinsider's posts

P S not bashing clay just dont like Lester being called "shaky"

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from billy13. Show billy13's posts

I can understand the need to obtain a bat. I havent seen to many posters who wouldnt include Bucholz in a trade for Mauer or McCann. But not some unproven player. I trust Farrell, Theo, Francona, Sox scouts and development staff that label Bucholz and Bowden, big time prospects. I like what i have seen from both. I will be happy to see them both pitch in boston next yr.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from hill55. Show hill55's posts

[Quote]I can understand the need to obtain a bat. I havent seen to many posters who wouldnt include Bucholz in a trade for Mauer or McCann. But not some unproven player. I trust Farrell, Theo, Francona, Sox scouts and development staff that label Bucholz and Bowden, big time prospects. I like what i have seen from both. I will be happy to see them both pitch in boston next yr.[/Quote]

How do you distinguish "some unproven player" from a "big time prospect"?

Could Clay Buchholz and Michael Bowden be the "unproven players" while Jarrod Saltalamacchia and Taylor Teagarden are the "big time prospects"?

It's all a matter of perspective.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ProudNation. Show ProudNation's posts

The haters on this site do a disservice to young players like bucholz and Ellsbury, making it harder to succeed in tough towns like Boston and NY.

Ellsbury could hit, not saying he will, but he could hit 330 this year with 15 homers and 80 rbis, steal 75 bases and you will still have morons like Softlaw calling to trade him.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from billy13. Show billy13's posts

Hill How can we get thru to you that even if Salty etc were top flight catching prospects, they dont measure up to top flight pitching prospects. How many times does it have to be said? Get over yourself. The red sox are making their feelings clear. They wont even trade bowden for catchers like these. Your just a hater on some 25 yr kid pitcher who struggled last year. Your on these threads every day spewing your drivel and venom and making no sense.

Dewey Dewey Dewey

We already know about your complete ignorance of baseball. The Thread is about Bucholz. Make a valid point, and stop sounding like a screaming child if you have something to offer, or get off the board. You are just on here to make a fool of yourself. You do it well.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

Baseball history is full of players who pitched one great game, or even had one great month or season, only to end up being a bust. I'm not saying Buchholtz will be a bust, but I would guess the odds are still under 50%, he never reaches #2/3 starter status. It's a gamble to trade him or keep him. I still think Buc and Ells for Santana was the once in a lifetime deal that had to be done, Theo blew it, now we are looking at Salty? PLEASE!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from goznes. Show goznes's posts

Throwing a no-hitter simply means the pitcher was historically outstanding on that one day. Maybe the opposition just had a bad day. A win is a win in MLB. A pitcher is hired to win consistently , not pitch one no-no. Dice-K is a good example of a pitcher who is not often dominating, i.e. lights out, but who gets the job done.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChrisHouse. Show ChrisHouse's posts

Law2005: Its time to trade Buchholz before what I am saying about him becomes common knowledge around MLB. Epstein and the Sox FO can leak stories about other players with diminished skills (Varitek) to drive their value down...but they can't be honest about the ones that really are a wash (Buchholz). Irony?

Everyone read that story in the Globe last Spring with the Bucholz quotes that you read, don't you think that it is common knowledge.

Also the whole world can read newspapers, baseball-reference.com and watch games on TV to see Varitek's diminished skills. Leaks would be redundant.

If everything you said about Bucholz was common knowledge and IT ISthen why would any team desire him in a trade. The logic and reasoning could be overcomed by a 4th grade kid. Obviously you are just looking for attention because nobody can be that dumb.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChrisHouse. Show ChrisHouse's posts

LAW2005 SCOOP LAW2005 SCOOP

By Amalie Benjamin
    Globe Staff / July 12, 2008

Standing on the mound, his first time back in the majors in two months, Clay Buchholz was uneasy. He knew he had been sent down to Triple A to find his way, find his fastball, and last night was his first chance to show manager Terry Francona and the rest of the Red Sox he is ready to rejoin the rotation. But he didn't look ready at the start, not with his first-inning jitters.

"I think most of it was nerves," Buchholz said. "I hadn't been that nervous in a long time that I recall.
    "Trying to impress. Being down in Triple A, knowing that I was sent down there to work on some stuff, trying to show that I got better down there, trying a little bit too hard."
    It showed. "I thought the first inning, I thought he looked nervous, a little jumpy," Francona said. "Just feeling like he has a lot to prove."

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from dgr01002. Show dgr01002's posts

[Quote]You are correct please tell me how many No Hitters Santana has thrown??? Clay has exceptional stuff ! He can be the next great pitcher and thats why Theo won't trade him away for a unproven player,hell he wouldn't trade him away for Santana!! So that in itself should tell you how high he ranks in Theo's mind!!![/Quote]

Buchholz is having a rough time but he's also very young. And his stuff is truly exceptional. There aren't many pitchers/prospects with his type of movement and arsenal. I was listening to Greg Maddux talk this morning about his first two years in the majors where he went 8-18. He had to find the right delivery/grip to master his pitches and movement properly. He said it took him two years and the right pitching coach. Not saying this is what Buch needs to do, but his stuff is truly special. Unless there is currently a great swap opportunity on the market, I'm for keeping him another season.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChrisHouse. Show ChrisHouse's posts

LAW2005 SCOOP BASEBALL REFERENCE

Jason Varitek
    2008 36 BOS AL 131 423 37 93 20 0 13 43 0 1 52 122 .220 .313 .359 73 152 0 2 3 6 13

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from moonslav59. Show moonslav59's posts

My head is spinning with all this nonsensical drivel.
    1 no hitter does not make for greatness.
    Many fantastic pitchers have never has a no no.
    I'll take a Cy Young pitcher over a one game wonder anyday! Even if clay becomes a CY Young pitcher, we are even, unless Theo locks Buc up in a 10 year contact, but Theo doesn't extend many players before their arb date expires.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[Quote]P S not bashing clay just dont like Lester being called "shaky"[/Quote]

In his first 8 starts, he had an ERA of 2.38.

In his next 7 starts, his ERA was 7.75, with a BAA of .364 and an OPS of .971. That's shaky. There is no doubt about it.

In Buchholz' first 9 starts, his ERA was 3.02. In his next 9 starts, his ERA was 9.22.

This is not a shot at Lester or an endorsement of Buchholz, as much as the recognition that very few pitchers escape going through a rough patch.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChrisHouse. Show ChrisHouse's posts

It would be stupid for a Yankee troll to act like a Yankee, so they come in here and pretend to be Red Sox fans who are fed up with the FO and Theo. By doing that it makes them, at first glimpse, more credible or believable and some cannot distinguish them from real Red Sox fans. By doing this pretending they turn real Red Sox fans against real Red Sox critics. The real Red Sox critics are painted with the same brush as Yankee trolls, so they are successful in dividing and conquering the enemy. Their victory will be that the forum will be vacant in time.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from scauma82. Show scauma82's posts

clay will be fine, stop worrying so much. hughes in NY struggled (and got injured too). it's not unreasonable to expect young pitchers to struggle. not everyone will be King Felix. they tweaked his delivery, which set him back and effected his confidence. he's had a couple months to figure things out, and i'm sure farrell will work with him during the off-season and spring training to get him going right. i think clay will be a main stay in the rotation by the end of this season.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

[Quote]This guy is closer to being great than any other prospect. Why? Because he has actually thrown a CG no-hitter. That is a big time historical happening.

We are a great team. What is the big deal if we just ride thin Clay thing out. We, by our recent signings, are showing that we can afford to cover the risk.

I guarantee the Nation would be madder if we gave up a Cy Young winner, than if we kept a head case.[/Quote]

+1

Thanks, for that. We need more patient Sox fans on this board. It's obvious to me by reading a lot of these posts that many impatient Sox fans would have traded Lester, Youk, Paps, Ells, Lowrie, Pedey, and about every one in AAA/AA just to acquire a journeyman who had a big year.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

[Quote]

We are mad because Theo gave up on getting a Cy Young winner to keep a head case.[/Quote]

We can use the same logic with all awards (e.g. no-hitter; Cy young). So, throwing this out was not as persuasive as you might choose to believe. How convenient you left out what else we'd have given up to acquire Santanna- not to mention the huge salary that he'd be getting.

Buch is not a head case. He's a young man trying to put it altogether. Fenway Park is a very imposing place. Most of us would have trouble throwing out the first ball (if chosen). Of course, you know better than John Farrell.