1. You have chosen to ignore posts from fjjmr0329. Show fjjmr0329's posts

With Smoltz and Penny RedSox trading a pitcher???

With Smoltz and Penny signing I am sure Bowden or Bucholtz or Delcarmen is going for Salty or Montero?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from COSTANZA. Show COSTANZA's posts

nope

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from billy13. Show billy13's posts

Where did you get the Smoltz signing?/ He hasnt signed and probably wont with Boston. Its a long shot at best. Theo made it clear that he isnt trading Bucholz/Bowden for a catcher unless it Mauer. Not happening.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from youngdavid74. Show youngdavid74's posts

Both one year deals so I doubt it.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from massillon8. Show massillon8's posts

With Smoltz and Penny penciled in the Starting 5 the Red Sox might want to acquire a pitcher not trade one. These guys are done.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from fjjmr0329. Show fjjmr0329's posts

Gammons did say today Tek not coming back and Red Sox trading for a catcher

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from manfredoko. Show manfredoko's posts

No, I don't think it definitely means they are going to deal someone away, but it gives them the flexibility to do so, much like how the Ramon Ramirez trade has allowed them to move Masterson to the rotation if either Smoltz or Penny go down and Buchholz or Bowden or Wakefield aren't getting the job done.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from RS0407. Show RS0407's posts

Hey LoserLaw2005,
    You conveniently left out a few players that Theo would've needed to include in any deal for Santana. There is no chance we would've got him without giving up a combination of Lester, Buchholz, Ellsbury, Pedroia, Lowrie, Bowden and others. Yeah, too bad we didn't make that deal. The fact alone that we're stuck with Lester & Pedroia is a burden. We wouldn't want to keep high-producing, young players at cheap dollars now, would we? And especially not that many! The next big issue the Sox front office will have to be dealing with is "what will we do with all of these guys?-- there are way too many ML-ready players in our farm system-- we're gonna need to just start releasing them."

Get a life, clown.

PS - What form of law can be practiced from living in your mother's basement?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Law has repeatedly been proven in the past to have no clue and to provide no links of legit stories linking MN to saying they would trade Santana for Buchholz... even for a package of guys (prob Crisp, Lowrie and Bowden or Masterson)... thinking it would be a straight up option... ignorant.

And where is the link to a Theo quote saying he will only include Buchholz for Mauer? They already offered Bowden for Salty and were turned down.

The addition of smoltz only makes it more likely we will trade for a catcher.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

Penny and Smoltz combined for 122 IP last season. Combined.

I think the Sox might need ot hold on to every available SP they can get their hands on at this rate. I really don't see a complete staff yet.

But I do think they deal Delcarmen if they move anyone...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from badscience. Show badscience's posts

ESPN's Olney suggests that signing Smoltz will free up Bucholz to trade for a catcher (Saltalamacchia was mentioned specifically).

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Notin,

Penny and Smoltz are jointly replacing the Buccholz/Byrd duo that held 1 starter spot in the rotation from last year. Penny... in just 19 more innings had 4 more wins than Clay. Smoltz in 48 less innings had 1 more win.

Till Buchholz is traded we both know these guys are Paul Byrd replacements... I know your point is that they are both major injury risks... but right now... in January w/ no idea how healthy they will be....are they not a HUGE upgrade over Byrd??

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[Quote]Notin,

Penny and Smoltz are jointly replacing the Buccholz/Byrd duo that held 1 starter spot in the rotation from last year. Penny... in just 19 more innings had 4 more wins than Clay. Smoltz in 48 less innings had 1 more win.

Till Buchholz is traded we both know these guys are Paul Byrd replacements... I know your point is that they are both major injury risks... but right now... in January w/ no idea how healthy they will be....are they not a HUGE upgrade over Byrd??[/Quote]

First of all, you are assuming Buchholz is the one being traded. Hopefully, you are wrong.

As for Penny and Smoltz, bear in mind that Byrd on his own pitched 180 IP last year, which makes him more useful than both in one sense. Smoltz is more talented than Byrd, absolutely. He's a likely Cooperstown candidate. Penny is a good pitcher, but on his own is not a huge upgrade over Byrd. I know he had a great season in 2007 in the same ballpark that made Chan Ho Park, Ismael Valdes and Jeff Weaver look good. I'm not wild about Penny.

THe issue with both of these pitchers isn't the talent, regardless of what you or I think. It's the health. If both combine for 120 IP again next year, and the Sox pawn ff Buchholz, then who makes up the difference? Sure we have Bowden, but bear in mind the Sox will need at least 7-10 SP's next year, and if both these guys are not there all year, maybe more. And moving Buchholz brings you on step closer to Pauley / Hansack / Zink.

I do think Delcarmen is the odd man out. He does have some value, but he also was not drafted by this administration. He won't get Salty or Montero, and I'm not sure who. Maybe Seattle's Rob Johnson? Or KC's John Buck, who isn't much of a hitter, but is a very talented defensive catcher...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Wake and Smoltz each spent 3-4 years being solid members of a bullpen. Wake as a solid jack of all trades, making 15-17 starts and 30-35 relief appearances over 3-4 years and Smoltz getting 154 saves as a great closer for 3 years. When you add this depth... 4 guys for 2 spots... having 2 guys who can easily transition to the pen and one guy who can go to AAA is such a great situation.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

First of all, you are assuming Buchholz is the one being traded. Hopefully, you are wrong.

No I'm saying "till he's traded we have the same situation we had last year with Buchholz being able to go down to AAA and vet there to take over"

I meant it as the Byrd/Buch 08 situation would not be simliar to the current 09 one IF Buch is traded... but for now it is.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[Quote]If someone gets hurt on the Yankees who steps in and can pitch? [/Quote]

That one is easy.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/01/yankees-sign-ja.html

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from notin. Show notin's posts

[Quote]First of all, you are assuming Buchholz is the one being traded. Hopefully, you are wrong.

No I'm saying "till he's traded we have the same situation we had last year with Buchholz being able to go down to AAA and vet there to take over"

I meant it as the Byrd/Buch 08 situation would not be simliar to the current 09 one IF Buch is traded... but for now it is.

[/Quote]

I may have misread that.

While the Sox do need a catcher, I'm hoping (1) they don't trade Buchholz and (2) I prefer they not get Teagarden, his injury history and his remarkably limited experience.

I am OK with the idea of dealing Delcarmen for John Buck, a deal that might sound a bit one-sided for the Royals, but to me that counters my Sox bias and therefore makes it look feasible.

However, Buck has a pending arbitration hearing, and his asking price in trade might depend on how much salary he is awarded. No rush just yet...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

I'm not wild about Penny either. He has a 5.00+ ERA in the AL over his career in addition to the 08 injury. If anything I could see a reverse Buch/Byrd situation happen w/ Penny/Buch... Penny starting the season b/c Clay has options. Clay doing very well in AAA and Penny struggling. Clay getting the shot to take over w/ Penny magically or legit ending up on the DL.

But unlike last year (could have been Schill if we let him get surgery in Dec) we have a proven veteran winner/bulldog possibly able to take over if then Clay, who I am not real high on either (at least for 09) struggles or Wake does, or any of our big 3 get hurt.

If Penny AND Wake are healthy and doing great we can milk Smoltz in a minor rehab situation and if he doesn't flat out dominate and force one of those two guys (most lilkely Wake) to the pen.. then Smoltz himself can go to the pen and maybe be an upgrade over MDC or RamRam... who become July trade chips..

A great situation all this depth has provided. Can't have too much pitching.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

I am ambivilant to a Buch/Salty trade... I have said all along both guys have massive upside and the chance to be busts so if the trade occurs I just bite my tounge, cross my fingers and hope our guy becomes the star his talent shows he can be.

Teagarden gets a lot of press for his D, has called a few shutouts I believe, a rarity in Texas, but it is true he never had as good an extended period in the pro's as Salty did in Atlanta before his trade. Salty was both hurt and in a 3 man platoon for a last place team while in Tex... so that certainly can't close the book on him.

Clay being handed a starters spot for a winner, working w/ just Tek and not being injured... but consistantly being wild, 2-3mph slower than advertised and a bucket of nerves on the mound did not give me confidence.

As for Buck... if there is NO chance at a Tek reuinion or a top young pitcher being brought in I would prob trade MDC for him. Maybe then give Saito or Cordero a non-guaranteed incentive deal to bolster the pen.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from baseballdiamond. Show baseballdiamond's posts

I agree with many of the postings here that the Sox are trying to improve their depth in the event they need to make a trade (which they do).

Smoltz is a class act. I'd still be surprised if Atlanta didn't do something to keep him there. He's pitched his entire career there and unless he and the Braves have communicated on a very high level that the Braves didn't want him back, I can't see the Braves just letting him go. 21 years he pitched there? Plus, he must have come up in the organization, right?

I remember when Dwight Evans left here and that didn't go down very well.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from billy13. Show billy13's posts

Good thread. Exactly what entered my mind when I went on a rant about smelling a trade with this signing. I have now taken a deep breath after reading the posts here, and Im not suddenly panicking about them trading Bucholz for some chump catcher.

Ok, Im allright now. Smoltz wont be back until the end of May, and that gives Bucholz time to pitch in long relief and spot starts to see what he has.

Otherwise, I'll take the chance on either Penny or Smoltz being a huge success and helping us a ton this year. Nice Add on's. Love it. Stack the bullpen, stack the starting staff. Pitching and more Pitching.

Now lets add a corner infielder with some flexibility. Not some chump DH. Kotsay makes sense, but Im not a fan of his. He hits .230. I would rather have Hinske. At least he can play third. He was terrible in Boston. After adding Baldelli, anybody have any great ideas for this spot??

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigdog1. Show bigdog1's posts

I THINK SMOLTZ AND PENNY WILL ALLOW US TO BRIDGE THE GAP BETWEEN BUCH AND BOWDEN. IT WILL LET THEM REFINE THERE PITCHIN IN THE MINORS A LITTLE LONGER, WHICH WILL ALLOW THEM TO HANDLE THE BOSTON PREASURE A LITTLE BIT BETTER, WHEN THEY DO COME HERE TO BOSTON. WE MAY HAVE TO GIVE ONE OF THEM UP FOR A CATCHER, IT'S NOT GOING TO BE CHEAP.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from fizsh. Show fizsh's posts

billy, I have said this for a while, and others have echoed it, but to me the perfect utility player to add was Willie Bloomquist. He can play all infield and outfield positions, in particular SS and CF. He gives you some speed off the bench as well. The downside would be that he is not a great choice for first, so with only 1 spot left (besides catcher of course and assuming the Baldelli signing) you will need a guy who can play 1B as well. Like I said, Bloomquist can, but probably his weakest position. That may mean Jeff Bailey makes the 25 man roster.

As for the Smoltz potential signing, this gives the Sox flexibility for the trading deadline as well. With an extra starter being added in late May or June, the Sox could trade a pitcher (something everyone always is looking for) for a big bat is one is needed.
    Both these signings are typical Red Sox signings, lots of depth for insurance when the inevitable injuries come.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from doofus54. Show doofus54's posts

Right, don't forget, Smoltz will not be available until at least May.

I think the Sox might be planning on using Smoltz stricly as a reliever, late innings and maybe even closer.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from schwank. Show schwank's posts

No. They are simply looking to get lightening in a bottle. Penny was real good and had a sore arm last year. If he can come back....it's a windfall. Same goes for Smoltz. Now, the chances are maybe 1 in 5 for both and what you'll maybe get 8-9 starts each. I'm sure that's how they are looking at it. They already have Beckett, Dice, Lester, Wake, Bucholtz, Bowden, etc. They don't need to hamstring themselves for 3-4 years on guys like Lowe, Sheets and .... for that matter, AJ Burnett. I think they are smart short-term signings.