1. You have chosen to ignore posts from charliedarling. Show charliedarling's posts

Would you trade Crisp and for what?

i am not sure that i would trade crisp because he is playing well, is a tough competitor and has warmed to the boston experience, but if the sox decide to trade crisp i think that they most certainly should get a top level catching prospect who is really, really close to being major league ready.

i don't think that mirabelli is going to hit any better and is now looking like he is becoming more injury prone even if he is kept for another year to catch wakefield, and although i like cash defensively, he is not going to hit enough to be a first string major league catcher if varitek gets hurt or leaves after next year.

i am sure that the team likes some of its really young (low level minors) catchers, but there needs to be someone available next year if something happens to varitek.

in fact, we have been pretty lucky that varitek has been as durable as he has been because we saw last year that there was no one to even come close to filling in for him when he did go down with that knee operation.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

STOP!!! With all the bs about getting rid of Crisp. Are you people nuts? This guy is a real ballplayer. He's hitting, what, around .270? For a guy who does something (or 2, or 3) every game to help his team win, this is not all that bad!

Lay off this guy, please; if you don't recognize a good all-around ballplayer when you see one, then go watch football.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from youngparisians. Show youngparisians's posts

JD Drew's restructured contract pertains to very specific injuries, time spent on the DL for those injurues and within the first couple of years in the contract. It has nothing to do with his inability to hit a baseball and the Sox wont be able to release him for poor performance. If we kept Wily Mo around too long in hopes he would 'pull through', you can guarantee JD will be next year in RF.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from youngparisians. Show youngparisians's posts

Drew does not look like an injured player to me, certainly not defensively.

That said, given the length of time it took to finalize the contract (almost 2 months since the announcement last fall), you can be guaranteed that Boras will be up and down the FO's medical staff if such injuries are found. When I heard the contract was hung up on injury specifics, I knew it was a bad deal despite the 5Y/75M. What player is going to go that extra step in the field if it means a potential injury, a contract release, and a more difficult journey finding a new home.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

Lindawitz1

I would, too; however, it is highly unlikely.

1) Manny will probably be elsewere next year,

2) Drew probably won't (unfortunately)

Most likely it will be Ellsbury, Crisp and Drew (platooning with a Millar-like newbie in RF).

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

Hopefully it'll be Manny that does the moving; noy Crisp.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from joeyama99. Show joeyama99's posts

Coco Crisp was not a problem in Cleveland when he lost his job to Sizemore. He played well in 2005 with an OPS over .800 and 18 HRs. Mark Shapiro, Cleveland's GM, said it was tough to give up a high character player like Coco and many of the Tribe fans were sorry to see him go.

THat said, I believe he would be unhappy being relegated to a 4th outfielder role next year. He's been a regular for the past 4 seasons and he's still in his prime. The best move would be to trade him for a catching prospect while he's regained some value. This is not to say that I don't like Crisp. He's done a great job defensively and he's a good guy. Ellsbury has the higher upside though and would be an upgrade as the future CF and leadoff hitter.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bosoxmal. Show bosoxmal's posts

Lindawitz1

It's not exactly what I hope, either. But, I do not think 1) Manny wants to be here, or 2) The Sox want to pay him that kind of $ for the next 2 years.

It may come down to,

Would you take Lowell for the next 3 years for 30 mil, or Manny for 2 years for 40 mil?

For me, that's a no brainer. Manny is no longer the Manny we knew and had a nice love/hate relationship with for so many years.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from paulfpt. Show paulfpt's posts

I would rather see the team trade Manny if they can, keep Crisp and put him in LF next year, with Ellsbury in CF.

And I would definitely re-sign Lowell.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jasonb1969. Show jasonb1969's posts

I'd like to see us dump manny's $20mill contract next year and get a few decent players....

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from d_marschke. Show d_marschke's posts

There is no way in hell that Youks is better than the reigning MVP Justin Morneau. I think there will be a lot of teams putting a package together to offer the twins this offseason and the twins could do so much better than what your deal offers.