1. You have chosen to ignore posts from johnpanzer1. Show johnpanzer1's posts

yankees just haven't added anyone to be any better

Sabathia replaces Mussina's 20 wins. Teixiera replaces A-freuds early season numbers which are his best (A-Rod crumbles like a little girl in the playoffs - consistently). Basically that means you've added Burnett who has more bone chips in that elbow than a bag of runes - Hughes, Chaimberlin, and 74 year old Andy Pettit round out the starting rotation. Rivera coming off surgery and trending down. Swisher added a little much needed power, and is benched behind singles hitting Matsui.

I think Yankee fans can feel really good about 85 wins and 3rd place behind the Red Sox and Rays. There just isn't much there.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Roast1999. Show Roast1999's posts

They're better than last year, there is no doubt in my mind. I still think the Sox have the better team, but you're crazy to think we aren't going to have a tougher time finishing ahead of the Yankees this year.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from tedyaz2. Show tedyaz2's posts

Another case of the New England blinders

A lot of Pats fans though they had a good team last year(weakest schedule in the league)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PSFever. Show PSFever's posts

[Quote]They're better than last year, there is no doubt in my mind. I still think the Sox have the better team, but you're crazy to think we aren't going to have a tougher time finishing ahead of the Yankees this year.[/Quote]

The Yankees have a much better pitching staff this season and defensive 1B in Teixeira. Offensively Abreu and Giambi produced more runs than Swisher and Tex probably will. At the very least they will be the same as last season offensively but give up less runs.

They still improved overall!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mfymfy. Show mfymfy's posts

Al--you're trying to win the pennant here in the forum again. Why don't we wait and see what Burnett does this year? If past history against the Sox is any indication, the Sox haven't come near figuring him out yet.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Roast1999. Show Roast1999's posts

[Quote]Al--you're trying to win the pennant here in the forum again. Why don't we wait and see what Burnett does this year? If past history against the Sox is any indication, the Sox haven't come near figuring him out yet. [/Quote]

AJ and the Yanks have to beat more teams than just the Sox though. His ERA was over 4.00 last year and he was a pretty good pitcher. I think expectations may have been set too high for this guy with the contract he was given. That being said, the Yanks are definitely better than last year, I just don't know what that means in the standings.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dabro. Show Dabro's posts

The Yankees spent a half billion dollars in a period of extreme economic crisis and they acquired some good talent, though they did way overpay for it. Way overpay. But the Yankees have no strategy for winning. I give them credit for the focus on starting pitching. But they have a terrible, terrible defensive team. Just terrible. That is a huge dimension. Their bullpen is shallow and really untested. There is some talent there but it is really untested. The Yankees have a lot of players coming of major injury and alot of 35 plus players who are entering a new stage of their career. And the Yankees are locked into a lot of long term contracts that will severely undermine their capacity to develop or implement any strategy that will yield consistent performance from year to year. The Yankees have two off the charts position players -- ARod and Tex, but ARod is a drama queen who brings a lot of baggage to the franchise. Tex has talent. The rest of their position players are, frankly, completely average for a variety of reasons -- age, injury, talent level, actual performance. But the biggest weakness of all is off the field. The new ownership is clueless, Cashman is a hack, and Girardi can't hold a candle to Torre.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from johnpanzer1. Show johnpanzer1's posts

LOL - I'm Lovin' you Yankee fans assuring me your team is "Much Improved." Try reading my post again...slowly...if your team is better...great, name names, tell us where? All you've done is replace players you had on last years team, that didn't win. You won't suck, as I said, 85 wins and 3rd place would be a strong showing for this team.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT93. Show BurritoT93's posts

I suppose if they ALL had career years, they could win 125 games. But that ain't gonna happen. It is quite conceivable that they do only win 85 games and finnish in third. But the truth is, the Red Sox must have a strong season, and that is the key to all.
    Really Burnett is the only addition numbers wise that helps them be better than 08. Good points by the Thread Bearer.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BurritoT93. Show BurritoT93's posts

Wow, the more I think about it.... this team could totally suck for the money invested.

Damon, Jeter, Posada, Petit, and Matsui are all far more likely to underachieve compared with their career averages, then they are to match or superceed. Mariona Rivera is maybe the only over 30 vet who won't dissapoint. And based on big pitcher signings in general (the past 10 years), atleast one of the two (C.C, Burnett) will not maximize his potential.

Take a look at the last ten years, and search the highest paid contracts for free agent spending, its abysmal. Hoooorah baby!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Roast1999. Show Roast1999's posts

Lowell, I was just waiting for a Yankee fan to make the argument you made in your second to last paragraph. I was hoping no one would, but you're more informed than the majority of your fanbase haha.

It's true. Believe me, I'm not saying the Sox don't have injury questions, like I said, you'd have to be crazy to think the Yankees aren't better than last year on paper. The Sox are overall better on paper IMO as well, but paper doesn't win championships. At least we're finally close to the time where there will actually be games that mean something!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lowell4MVP. Show Lowell4MVP's posts

[Quote]Lowell, I was just waiting for a Yankee fan to make the argument you made in your second to last paragraph. I was hoping no one would, but you're more informed than the majority of your fanbase haha.

It's true. Believe me, I'm not saying the Sox don't have injury questions, like I said, you'd have to be crazy to think the Yankees aren't better than last year on paper. The Sox are overall better on paper IMO as well, but paper doesn't win championships. At least we're finally close to the time where there will actually be games that mean something![/Quote]

Thanks, Roast. Believe me, dumb Yankee fans annoy me just as much as their counterparts on the sox side of the table.

The "who is better overall" can be debated, but I think we'd be here for awhile. I think there are too many people who have accepted the sox bullpen as incredible and the Yankees as horrible without actually looking into the players involved. Part of the problem is that people fall in love with guys they know of in their own organization, without realizing there are those who are comprarable in other teams systems, they just don't know who they are.

I think with a healthy ARod, the Yankees have a better lineup, and better SP 1-5. Closers are a wash, bullpen to the sox. I say this expecting a bounce back year from Cano, and that Posada and Matsui are healthy. If not, then my opinion would change.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Roast1999. Show Roast1999's posts

Lowell, I agree that the Yankees lineup is better than the Sox. I think the SP is just about even to be honest, as I like the Sox' ability to plug guys in when someone goes down. I think they are a little better off than the Yanks in that sense. Agree on the closers, and while I don't think the Yanks bullpen is awful, you're right, I think the edge does go to the Sox. The thought of potentially being able to call up a guy who can throw 100 MPH and plug him into the bullpen in the case of an injury is an exciting one. Sox-Yanks ALCS, it's happening!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from johnpanzer1. Show johnpanzer1's posts

[Quote]Wow, the more I think about it.... this team could totally suck for the money invested.

Damon, Jeter, Posada, Petit, and Matsui are all far more likely to underachieve compared with their career averages, then they are to match or superceed. Mariona Rivera is maybe the only over 30 vet who won't dissapoint. And based on big pitcher signings in general (the past 10 years), atleast one of the two (C.C, Burnett) will not maximize his potential.

Take a look at the last ten years, and search the highest paid contracts for free agent spending, its abysmal. Hoooorah baby![/Quote]

Bingo - Yankees usually start slow - so April is not a predictor, but without Yankee bashing, Rivera who I totally respect is coming off surgery, another player I like Posada is older than dirt, Matsui is a good player, but no power, Damon is going to the DL quicker than JD Drew. How can you ignore losing Mussina's 20 wins!!!!! Great, Sabathia replaces them...A-Rod puts up his whole season in April/May...great Teixiera replaces that (maybe, lets just say he does). Burnett is an addition - but you can't plug in 18 wins here on a team that can't score runs, like the Blue jays did for him. Burnetts had a LONG career as a .500 pitcher - he got hot for 2-3 months. If (BIG IF) everyone produces the same numbers, maybe a guy gets hot, maybe a guy goes cold) whats different from last year? Two words...third place.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

And this thread gets my award for most ridiculous since ive been here...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from markfmnj. Show markfmnj's posts

"addition - but you can't plug in 18 wins here on a team that can't score runs, like the Blue jays did for him" 2008 Tor 4.4 RPG NYY 4.8

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lowell4MVP. Show Lowell4MVP's posts

[Quote]Lowell, I agree that the Yankees lineup is better than the Sox. I think the SP is just about even to be honest, as I like the Sox' ability to plug guys in when someone goes down. I think they are a little better off than the Yanks in that sense. Agree on the closers, and while I don't think the Yanks bullpen is awful, you're right, I think the edge does go to the Sox. The thought of potentially being able to call up a guy who can throw 100 MPH and plug him into the bullpen in the case of an injury is an exciting one. Sox-Yanks ALCS, it's happening![/Quote]

Bard is an interesting player for the sox. I only know of his fastball, and haven't researched his other pitchers. I would be excited to have that potential in the bullpen too.

The SP can be argued either way. I think the Yanks have the edge, but it comes mostly in the 4-5 range. I still don't know why the sox signed Penny, and didn't give the job to Masterson or even Buchholz. Their staff is good enough that they could survive either one of their growing pains as a 5th starter. I feel the same way about the Yankees and Hughes. In other words, Pettitte wasn't a necessity, although I like the stability (200 IP) he brings to the rotation.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from parhunter1. Show parhunter1's posts

It always takes more than 5 SP to make up a 5-man rotation for a 162-game scedule. Usually it takes 6 or 7, sometimes 8 guys to start all 162 games. That is why I say the Sox have the better SP than the Yankees. In a strict 5-man comparison, one could argue that the Yankees' 5 are better, though it is too close to call, IMO. But counting the depth of #6, 7 and 8. that goes to the Sox.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Roast1999. Show Roast1999's posts

I think the Sox really liked having Masterson in the bullpen rather than the rotation, but it's good to know he can do either for them. Clay is probably not ready yet for the majors, but after this spring he should have confidence heading into the minors and be ready for the Sox should they need him. That's why I think they got Penny. He's an experienced guy at the back end of the rotation and if it doesn't work out then you'll see the kids coming in.

I hope to see Bard up before the end of the year, his stuff is really electric.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Lowell4MVP. Show Lowell4MVP's posts

[Quote]Well as I am a Red Sox Fan I'll be honest as I can be.I don't like either of the pitchers that the Yankees acquired in the Off season,Sabthia was stinking the joint out last year when Cleveland dumped him and he was terrible against the AL east he has never pitched well against the Sox. Burnett is a world of talent and though we haven't killed him it would be because we never knew he would actually pitch on the day of the game..Teixeira is a very good 1rst baseman, the 2nd best 1rst baseman in the AL east in fact. The Yankees weakest points are team defense and relief pitching,Mo had off season surgery and after that nothing in that bullpen will scare the Sox or Rays.Team defense just plain sucks,in fact it's just too bad we can't ship them Lugo so they'll be the absolute worst defensive team in the entire AL.Posada is probably going to be the DH,I say this because unless a miracle happens he can't throw anyone out.I've gotta say that each team did different things to try and improve their teams,the Yankees went and spent 423 million dollars for 2 pitchers and a 1rst baseman,the Sox spent 26 million for 2 starting pitchers,2 Relievers,3 quality back up outfielders and their starting catcher as well as their back up catcher.So even though you can't quantify the 2 methods,all you have to do is add the numbers as to whom improved more,the Yankees signed 2 very good pitchers the Sox signed 4 very good pitchers to bolster an area that didn't really need much improvement. The Yankees went and signed the #1 everyday free agent,while the Sox signed 3 guys that fit needs.At every turn of can you top this played by the Yankees, the Sox simply filled any holes they might have had from last years team. But where the separation really shows itself is minor league guys in waiting,the Yanks might have one guy whereas the Sox are sitting on no less than 5 players waiting to make their debuts.All in all the Yanks are no better than a third place team unless the 2 teams in front of them have serious breakdowns,albeit a very good 3rd place team.[/Quote]

Where to start.........?

Sabathia was absolutuely fantastic last year for Milwaukee, but you're going to judge him on his playoff game. That makes no sense. He's one off the top three in the game.

As pointed out earlier, if you believe that Burnett is an injury risk, you have to give the same to Beckett. Look at their total GS for the last four years. It's very close.

Teixeira is the best first baseman in the AL east.

Posada is not the DH, he's the catcher. Read ST reports to verify this. He's fine.

You say the sox only spent 26M, as if it was their plan. The reason that that number isn't 170M greater is that Teixeira turned them down. Sox wanted him badly - he was their number one target. Settling on two pitchers coming off surgery is a consolation prize, at best. They don't have too much success with these guys - look at Miller, Colon, etc....

If the sox had so many players "ready" to step into the starting rotation, they would have never signed Penny.

Sections
Shortcuts