1. You have chosen to ignore posts from zippyboro. Show zippyboro's posts

Yanks getting closer... you worried?

glad you missed us...

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from niz-58. Show niz-58's posts

"So statistically speaking, in two more weeks, the Yankees will trail by2 games or so, and two weeks after that, they'll be up by four. LOL."

That's true, if the Yankee don't lose another game between now and them. Think that's going to happen?

If it does, the Yankees deserve to be in first place.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from niz-58. Show niz-58's posts

"just take a look at Mike "the guilty-looking guy in the police line-up" Lowell"

Nice to know Goergie is still thinking about the important aspects of the game.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from niz-58. Show niz-58's posts

"The Saux fans are getting nervous for sure."

Yup, the Yankees have won eight in a row. Just think, if they can win sixteen in a row, they might actually get close to the Sox!! LOL

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from niz-58. Show niz-58's posts

You know, your comments would carry a little more wieght if you hadn't waited 'till halfway through the Yankees current win streak to start mouthing off. :-)

Gutless doesn't impress me.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from eddiewilson. Show eddiewilson's posts

niz, you had to know they'd be creeping out of the woodwork once the yankees started winning. there were a few of us here though when the yankees were 14.5 back....i still have hope.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from niz-58. Show niz-58's posts

I do know it, Eddie.

And I know you don't talk out your butt.

If I were a Yankee fan, I'd be excited about the way the team is playing now. I didn't think they had it in them to run off eight straight.

Congrats!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from lnmonster. Show lnmonster's posts

As I said before, it's not who wins the division that matters. All that counts is getting into the playoffs, andthen anything can happen. I don't really care about the Yankees, I'mkeeping my eyes on Detroit and Cleveland, one of whom Boston will haveto beat out for the wild card if the Yankees overtake them.

And they might. The Yankees are fully capable of winning 20games in a row. While it is true that in a short series betweentwovery good teams in the playoffs pitching and defense dominate, duringthe season a murderer's row lineup can make hash of the mediocrepitching staffsof all the second division teams in the league. The best hope forthe Sox isto make the playoffs in any way possible, then rely on their pitchingto carry them. They can beat the Yankees in 7, whether or notthey canoutlast them in 162.

However, the Sox are 5 and 8 in their last 13 games, and if theykeep playing at a .385 clip and scoring 1 or 2 runs a game, they'll beunable to stay ahead of Detroit, and that's what matters.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from niz-58. Show niz-58's posts

" We need to get rid of Crisp, Lugo, and Drew."

How? Let's hear some specifics.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from xthirdimpact. Show xthirdimpact's posts

As for the "1978" comment that MichaelRuth posted....if he had 1/2 a braincell and any knowledge of the 78 season, he'd know the Sox had NO PITCHING back then. A far cry from what the sox have NOW for arms.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from lnmonster. Show lnmonster's posts

MichaelRuth sez, "The Yankees Red Sox rivalry is like no other in sports."

There is one other rivalry that is very similar. The HarlemGlobetrotters / Washington Generals. They play each other all thetime, the games are spirited and entertaining, and the Globetrottersalmost always win (last exception was in 1971).

So just as the Generals fans scream "remember the big choke in 1971", so Red Sox fans screm "remember the big choke in 2004".

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from xthirdimpact. Show xthirdimpact's posts

We're stuck with Drew, but im ok with that. He had a tough string of at-bats, as any player has from time to time, but he's been hitting better lately.

Lugo isnt going anywhere,....no one will take him on at $9 mil a year, and NO ONE could forcast the Alex Gonzalez that we see hitting 11 HR and kickin tail in Cincinatti! I wasnt crazy about the deal in the 1st place, but i think we'll see him come into his own somehow. i hope.

Crisp, i agree, shouldnt be here. He has a decent glove and great speed, but that dont mean SQUAT when you cant get on base. We need another BIG BAT in center, and i hope the Sox go for A Jones or T Hunter. I'd prefer Jones, but there are a bunch of teams looking for a fielder this year, that is if Atlanta doesnt resign him.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from scorpio1969. Show scorpio1969's posts

Red sox =catcher-35 yrs old 1b-28 yrs old 2b-32yrs old ss-33yrs old 3b-33yrs old rf-35yrs old cf 28yrs old lf-32yrs old dh-32yrs old

Pitchers - Shilling-41 yrs old Wakefield-41yrs old Taveras -33yrs old Beckett-27 yrs old Dice-K-27 yrs old pitchers avg age=33.8

Active- Position Players +dh=32

Ummmm....You made a mistake, our 2 baseman is only 24, so it seems the the math somehow doesn't work out in your favor anymore huh?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from scorpio1969. Show scorpio1969's posts

Just an FYI, it's SOX, not Saux.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from crono420. Show crono420's posts

Even though Lugo and Drew are struggling, I still like them as players and root for them. Hopefully they will turn it around. However the real person people should be booing is this a$$ from brookline theo epstein. He outbid himself for these two. Who was the competition. I don't know any team that wanted either of them. If I ever saw theo down on kenmore I'd knock his biatch a$$ out.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from summerof67. Show summerof67's posts

I am worried for three reasons:

1. Coco Crisp

2. JD Drew

3. Julio Lugo

The closer these guys get to the Mendoza line, the more beads of sweat appear on my brow. And to think that Theo and his crew single-mindedly pursued Drew and glreefully gave him baskets full of money. Ouch. (Paging Scott Boras !!)

The good news is that the pitching staff is keeping us in games. The bad news is - Papi and Manny (and Youk and Dustin) can't keep bailing out the team in the late innings. At some point, the three mentioned above will have to step up. If they don't, then, yeah, it is really possible for the Yankees to overtake us. And the wild card will probably NOT come out of the East, so it's essential to finish in first place, IMHO.

summerof67

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from eddiewilson. Show eddiewilson's posts

thanks niz,

luckily everything seemed to click for the yankees at once. their pitching is coming around AND they are hitting. earlier this season they couldn't seem to do both at the same time. i said when giambi got hurt that it was a blessing in disguise and that couldn't be more true. the yankees have the confidence right now and that is huge. obviously the sox will not continue this slide they are on but if the yankees can pick up a game here and there, i'll be happy.

aside from last night, the sox pitching staff has been doing great, it seems like your issues are with lugo, crisp and drew.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjmcs. Show jjmcs's posts

AM I WORRIED???

DAMN F'N STRAIGHT I AM WORRIED!!!!!!!!!

78 sticks in my head more than 04 does.

Gotta run, off to the Tobin.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from niz-58. Show niz-58's posts

"aside from last night, the sox pitching staff has been doing great, it seems like your issues are with lugo, crisp and drew."

Absolutely. I think Drew and Lugo will get it straighened out. I'm starting to have my doubts about Crisp. This "slump" is getting excessive. He's stil playing because he's a potential highlight reel every night in CF.

Even Drew and Lugo can get it together, the Sox can afford to carry Crisp.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannyboye2. Show dannyboye2's posts

I don't need research to tell me you haven't played anyone yet because you haven't played anyone yet. No one has. It's only June! Beating Detroit, Oakland, Minnesota, or Cleveland in April and May is meaningless when you play until October.

What I was trying to say is that people have been minimilizing the Yankees win streak because it was against teams like Chicago and Pittsburgh. Like they aren't major league quality teams or something. It's stupid to compare schedules when you play 162 games. A win is a win. The team that has the most usually does pretty well regardless of who they beat. You are right, the schedule is the great equalizer. As the season progresses into the second half you'll really know what you're dealing with and what you can expect from your team and the teams you play.

The real concern in Boston should be offensive production and defense, not the Yankees. In the past 10 games you've scored a whopping 29 runs. 10 of them in one game. The calling card of the 2003-2005 Red Sox was their ability to score 6-8 runs a night -- every night. Half way through June, the left side of your infiled (Lowell and Lugo) has a combined 19 errors. You had 13 all last year from those same positions. Right now the pitching has done a tremendous job at giving you an opportunity to win, but when a poor start rears its ugly head it doesn't seem like you don't have the ability to shut teams down and fight back as well as you used to. But again, it's June. The truth has a way of unravelling itself by August.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from niz-58. Show niz-58's posts

"I'm already gone, like your shrinking lead."

I don't know what rag you read, but my paper said the Sox still have an 8.5 game lead.

Hardly "already gone".

Unless MLB has decided to award the division to teams that mangage to get one game over .500 now.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from lacus. Show lacus's posts

I was afraid when they were 14 games back! I've been a fan for too long to let a big lead lull me into complacency.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ozzietheblackcat2004. Show ozzietheblackcat2004's posts

Time will tell. I still believe that the Sox pitching will prevail. They got off to a monster start and now teams are making it more difficult for them because of their first place status. Pitching is the name of the game and the Sox are loaded with the best pitching staff in the major leagues.

Be patient Sox fans as long as the Sox win it doesn't matter what the Yankees or any other team does.

The Sox are in a hitting slump but hitting is contagious and soon or later they will stap out of it. This team is too good to blow their lead.

Lets win Sox now!!!!!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from drew2476. Show drew2476's posts

A team that is 1 game over .500 does not scare me at all, even if it is the yankees. There is a reason they are barley over .500, and that is their pitching. It is simply not good enough.

Early on, the yankees under-achieved, and now they are over-achieving. They are playing better than they are right now. Will this go on forever?

NO !!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from niz-58. Show niz-58's posts

"Though I was not a Red Sox fan in 1978 I remember that collapse verywell and what we are observing now is a possible redux of that decline,only earlier. The blame now has to fall squarely on those twopeas-in-a-pod, Epstein and Francona."

I've only got one question for you, Fred. What moves could Theo and Epstein have made to keep the Yankees from winning eight games in a row?