1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonDotCom. Show BostonDotCom's posts

Yanks getting closer... you worried?

A mere 14 days ago the Yankees stumbled into a three-game series in Boston 13 1/2 games behind the Red Sox, seemingly on the edge of a lost season. Today, the Bombers sit 7 1/2 back -- still a wide margin, make no mistake -- after winning nine straight and 11 of 13. The Red Sox, meanwhile, 5-8 so far in June.

Are you starting to get worried, Sox fans? Do you think this is the beginning of a trend or just one of the inevitable bumps in the road every good team endures?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rbreg7. Show rbreg7's posts

Red Sox can go 50-49 (.505) in the remaining 99 games this season and wind up at 91-71.

The Yankees have to go 60-40 (.600) to reach that same record.

Are the Sox going to go .505 the rest of the season? Are the Yankees going to go .600?

I do not think so. I think the Sox, at least, will go .560 (55-44) and wind up at 96-66. At least.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from thebread. Show thebread's posts

Afraid of the Yankees! No way.

I'm afraid of the Red Sox. Too many offensive holes in that lineup.

Being pitching strong is great but the Sox need more bats!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from itsjustagame. Show itsjustagame's posts

Anyone who thinks it's smooth sailing from here on out brings to the RSN fan base what pre-RSN Sox fans always despised about Yankee fans:

Arrogance

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from paulfpt. Show paulfpt's posts

not worried a bit. the Yankees were playing below their heads in May, and above their heads in June. Over a full season they will perform somewhere between those two levels.

That being said, with 100 games to go and assuming a team needs 95 wins to make the playoffs, the Yankees would have to go 64-36 (.640) to do it. And that assumes, also, that Boston doesn't win 95 and that teams like Detroit, Cleveland and Minnesota - all 5 losses less than the Yanks - don't either.

Yankee fans enjoy the hot streak while you can - your team doesn't make the playoffs this year.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dillard45. Show dillard45's posts

good point bread. The sox can't worry about what the Yankees or any other team does. Boston has other concerns--like their sorry offensive production.

Right now, they do not have a championship caliber lineup.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from andiana. Show andiana's posts

as a redsox fan living in ny, you can never feel safe with any lead over the yankees, because you're always going to hear every possible scenario that can allow the yankees to come back and overtake the sox...as a redsox fan in general though, you always know in the back of your head what can happen to the best of teams, and until 2004, what did happen nearly every time...i'm not worried about a choke right now, but i do know for sure that this race will be a tight one and no matter how great we play, the yankees aren't going to quit...as long as our team stays healthy though, it looks like we've got a great shot

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pianoman6. Show pianoman6's posts

The yanks are the Yankees but 10 games is 10 games! This Sox team is solid. They win in an walk

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from niz-58. Show niz-58's posts

"They are the Paris Hilton of baseball and make it very unpleasant for the rest of us."

LOL!!
    But, Paris has changed her ways (supposedly).

10. This post has been removed.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from sti328. Show sti328's posts

In sports, anything can happen...04 Sox down 3-0 on a best of 7 series; I mean the chance of coming back was absolutely 0%...but they did it...4 in a row against the BEST AL team in baseball and then cruised and ran over the BEST team in MLB that year. What am I trying to say is that it can happen, but am I worry, no...if the Yanks do surge through the remaining of the season, while the Sox go par the rest of the way, then we can t b*tch about them and instead tip our caps to them. The Sox are a great team...we can t blame the Sox if the Yanks win 66% or higher the rest of the way. We can only hope that the other teams playing the Yanks will beat on them, its not something the Sox (if I was Tito, I would not allow them to follow the Yanks games in the dugout)) nor the fans should be worry about. As for the recent wins for the Yanks, they played ChiSox and Pirates! Come on, I mean seriously did you expect the Pirates to win the series, I don t think they can even beat the Royals! As for the ChiSox, I watched those games, and ChiSox just aren t what they used to be compare to 05. I mean we can t be that desperate to already start worrying about the Yanks in mid June when we have a 9.5 game lead...maybe if the Sox was only holding on to a 2 game lead in Aug/Sep then there should be some worry. Lets just enjoy Sox the way they are...I think they have a great team, I mean offensively not as prowess as 03 and 04, but watching them pitch and playing D is just as exciting. As for the Yanks...lets revisit them around Aug!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jfromthebronx. Show jfromthebronx's posts

They are the Paris Hilton of baseball and take all the fun and love out of baseball for the rest of the world. The German in me wishes them schadenfreude!

I see the germans are still upset that the Yanks kicked them out of Paris.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from niz-58. Show niz-58's posts

And the Parisians are still ungrateful!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrfett. Show mrfett's posts

I've been worried since the 2nd series against them, when Wake and Schill both had their asses handed to them. Then same thing in early June, when they seemed to feed off the energy from RSN, like our hate made them stronger. That's when they really started playing like the Yankees again, and when we went back to being a NL team as we fanned in Oakland as if the jet stream depended on our whiffs to keep it moving. We finally managed a series win in Arizona, but it seemed our former NL players carried us out there.

I'm hopeful we can get the offense in gear with some lineup tweaks, but the Yanks are averaging about 7 runs/game this month vs. about 4 runs/game for our Sox. That worries me quite a bit. For a while it seemed Youk and Lowell should be 3rd & 4th, not Papi and Manny. It seems like we can only get 4 guys at a time consistantly hitting. Remember last year when Papi was like the only guy hitting? That isn't going to cut it, pitching or no pitching. Holes are always going to open in the field, at least one ball a game will get left over the plate at an innopportune time... we need to be able to give our pitchers run support if we're going to beat the Yanks, because they can hit in the clutch. I'm not convinced we're as good at that, the Mother's Day miracle notwithstanding.

Drew, Crisp, Lugo, and Mirabelli need to get their bats fixed in a hurry. Crisp saves more runs than he could ever hope to drive in, so he gets a pass, but still, having 2 guys/game in the lineup simply not hitting is bad news. We'll see if the lineup change can get them going. Drew has no business being behind Manny. The guy just can't hit.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from niz-58. Show niz-58's posts

"The guy just can't hit."

I guess you missed the sac fly he hit last night to get the lead for the Sox.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from willis134. Show willis134's posts

excellent post itsjustagame. I agree with you completely. What always made RSN great before 2004 was the belief and optmism that each year could somehow be "our year". not that it was an inherant right to be good like yankee fans. Yes we won that world championship but we still have not won the division since 1995. Yes we have a 9.5 game lead but don't believe for a second that it will be easy these last 99 games. Tha yankees will win at least 60 of their last 100 games. but maybe somehow this will be "our year"

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from happysox. Show happysox's posts

but no team in baseball can sustain that hitting for 3 months, not even the Yankees.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from rcasey28. Show rcasey28's posts

Yes I'm extremely worried, what reasonable Red Sox fan who has been paying attention the last century wouldn't be? Unfortunately the Red Sox tend to be a first half team and the Yankees a second half team. The Yankees will ultimately make a big trade at the all star break and that will spell big trouble for the boys in red. The difference this year is that the Sox have the best pitching I can remember seeing, and more help is on the way in the form of Jon Lester. That being said, Joe Torre is an unbelievable manager and the Red Sox have not been able to hold off the Yankees in over a decade. The only way they avoided not finishing second to the same team for like 10 years in a row was by finishing third behind Toronto last year. My whole mindset is that 2004 was an aberation and the Yankees will pretty much always have the upper hand. Just watch, they will win the division again this year. as for me, I'm looking forward to opening day against the Jets in September! Now thats a team you can be confident about! If you really don't worry about the Yanks, you really are not a very knowledgeable baseball fan or are just kidding yourself and maybe your buddies at the bar.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from barryarmstrong. Show barryarmstrong's posts

No, not concerned at all. Yanks have to play at a better winning percentage than the Red Sox are now just to get to 90+ wins, and the Sox have the best winning percentage in the Majors. Plus, the Yanks are something like 2-10 in 1-run games, and only have 8 saves out of 31 wins. Eventually, the fact that they cannot win close games will hurt them when their hitting takes the dips that every club's hitting does in a 162-game season.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrfett. Show mrfett's posts

lol come on niz58. one sac fly and now he's power-hitting protection? don't tell me you wouldn't gladly walk Manny to get Drew. I don't dislike the guy, he seems real nice, and I imagine he's trying, but I have to disagree with you. One sac-fly does not an RBI guy make. Pena has a better average than him. I'm just saying he has no business being in the 5th spot because he offers ZERO protection. If you really disagree you've got to back it up with something other than his sac-fly.

My take on the line-up:

1. Crisp
    2. Pedroia
    3. Papi
    4. Lowell
    5. Manny
    6. Youk
    7. Tek
    8. Lugo
    9. Drew

I think Crisp might do better with more pressure on him, and as fast as Pedroia wishes he were, I think Crisp is faster. Manny should be moved because he's so awesome at RBI's and pitchers fear him. Lowell is .311 vs .289 for Manny.

Thing is, Francona probably knows better than me (ya think?) how the order affects guys. But on the flipside, he might've become trapped by the guys' expectations... it's hard for me to know if routine is better than some shake-ups. The old cliche though of Ortiz/Manny is tired in my book. It's not working anymore, and we need to get these guys producing more runs. I think some more drastic moves could help that along. Just my .02 of course :P

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from lnmonster. Show lnmonster's posts

If it's one thing 2004 taught us it's that who wins the division doesn't matter. All that matters is getting into the playoffs, and then anything can happen. I don't really care about the Yankees, I'm keeping my eyes on Detroit and Cleveland, one of whom Boston will have to beat out for the wild card if the Yankees overtake them.

And they might. While it is true that in a short series between two very good teams in the playoffs pitching and defense dominate, during the season a murderer's row lineup can make hash of the pitching staffs of all the mediocre teams in the league. The best hope for the Sox is to make the playoffs in any way possible, then rely on their pitching to carry them. They can beat the Yankees in 7, whether or not they can outlast them in 162.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from niz-58. Show niz-58's posts

"I'm just saying he has no business being in the 5th spot because heoffers ZERO protection. If you really disagree you've got to back it upwith something other than his sac-fly.'

Fine.
    For most of April he hit arpound .350. Guys that "can't hit" don't do that.

I'm sure even he would tell you he had a miserable May (hit .171)

So far, in June, he's hit .333. I doubt that guys that "can't hit" do that either.

Career BA, .284, .390 OBP I'm guessing that "can't hit" players couldn't pull that off either.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from niz-58. Show niz-58's posts

I'll be here. :-)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannyboye2. Show dannyboye2's posts

It's funny, Yankee fans complain about the schedule when we lose and Sox Fans bring up the schedule when we win. What powerhouses have the Sox played?

If I was a Red Sox fan I wouldn't really worry yet. I'd just hope the team continues playing hard and stays healthy. Injuries are the biggest reason the Yanks sit 9 1/2 out and a string of injuries can dampen your season just as easily as it did last August.

Sections
Shortcuts