1. You have chosen to ignore posts from lnmonster. Show lnmonster's posts

Yanks getting closer... you worried?

JBontherocks sez, "Lester will be promoted soon and he'll be better than Hughes. "

Lester has great stuff, but remember that before he got sick his pitch count was always high because he didn't throw enough strikes and he rarely made it out of the fifth inning. To be really effective, he will have to mature in this regard. And remember, he's recovering from a very serious illness, the treatment for which takes a lot out of you. I have high hopes for Lester and I'm really pulling for him, but he is no sure thing.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from gernn. Show gernn's posts

At the rate at which the Yankees are winning world championships in the new millenium*, they will not win another one until the year 3000.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrfett. Show mrfett's posts

but niz, he sat for a ton of games this month (and had one big game while being pulled for lefty pitchers)... whatever. i think you're in the minority with your opinion, but you're certainly entitled to it. heaven knows we can each tweak the stats to make him either hitting deity or pathetically ineffective. i wish we could find out what Manny thinks about his protection abilities. i feel like we got confirmation that teamates are nervous about his capabilities after i think it was David who made a comment after one of his (few) good games to the effect that he 's looking forward to him hitting so he'll get more good pitches to hit. i think we've seen several games, for example against Randy Johnson, where he pitched very carefully to 3 & 4, basically just hoping to get them to chase (and not worrying if they walked), because they felt more comfortable with the rest of the lineup. Although I don't think Drew was in that specific game, the principle holds. I think opponents were adopting that strategy a lot on this last road trip, which is why they had such great success against us (obviously I'm talking about Oakland mostly).

I know Theo and the statisticians paid what they did for him because he is a decent hitter, but that doesn't mean they can't be proved wrong. He started out guns blazing for sure, and then turned it up again when he faced his little brother, two instances of adrenaline-fueled success I think. in the clutch, however, when it matters, neither him nor many others on our team have been playing as well as their paychecks would lead you to believe they should.

But whatever, if you think he's a great hitter, fine. I don't. I think he might do better 9th, because he can't do much worse than he's doing 5th.

More importantly though, I think it's time to break up Manny and Ortiz, because I think the myth/feeling/aura around the idea that they can always carry this team needs to die (reality certainly has moved on). It was fun in '04, but it's time for a new strategy. It'd be healthy for the club as well as for opponents to begin to fear our whole lineup again.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from jfromthebronx. Show jfromthebronx's posts

At the rate at which the Yankees are winning world championships in the new millenium*, they will not win another one until the year 3000.

At the rate the Sox win in all milleniums they would need around 340 years to catch the Yankees in Championships if the Yanks don't win another. I know that I can rest in peace with the knowledge that not only will they not catch the Yanks in my lifetime, but for several generations of descendents.

Also, the last century started out in a somewhat similar fashion. I think Yankee fans will take their chances.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from gernn. Show gernn's posts

"At the rate the Sox win in all milleniums they would need around 340 years to catch the Yankees..."

Can we see the math for your your conclusion? Weak extrapolation just like Murray Chass..

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrfett. Show mrfett's posts

one other thing: i know most of our NL-AL switchers, other than Renteria, shy away from saying that it's the league change affecting them, but i can't imagine it doesn't. Drew, being a veteran, was expected to produce immediately, while Pedroia, a rookie, was treated with kid-gloves and allowed to grow into his position. maybe more thought should be paid to whether or not NL players should be given more of a chance to "break-in" in the AL. It'd be interesting to see the numbers about how NL players perform in their first season in the AL, and how their position in the lineup affects their performance. If my hunch is correct, maybe Drew just needed a little time to adjust before being expected to consistantly produce, and if perhaps he'd switched with Tek for the first 2 months maybe he'd be in a better spot by now. Just idle speculation...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rdrury. Show rdrury's posts

I was worried about the Yankees even when they were 14.5 games out. The Yankees were nat as bad as their record, and the Sox were not as good, .700, as theirs. In a long season, things ahve a way of evening out, as theya re doing now. The Sox may still win this thing, but will proably need to win the late season series against the Yanks to do it. How many times in the last 50 years have the Sox looked like world beaters in June, yet watched the Yankees celebrate in October? too many for me to count....thats for sure...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannyboye2. Show dannyboye2's posts

I don't think you can really factor anything from comparing how different guys adjust to the different leagues. By some of your own admissions, Beckett needed that first difficult year to learn how to pitch in the AL. But guys like Pedro and Schilling made the jump with little trouble. Look at your own team. Lowell was garbage in Flordia. Many teams avoided the Beckett deal due to the inclusion of Mike Lowell. Drew has struggled mightly, but seems to be turning the corner. I'd say it's more of a personality thing than a hard and fast numerical representation of data.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from johnf. Show johnf's posts

Who have the Red Sox played? They've won series against Detroit, New York, Cleveland, Atlanta, Los Angeles Angels, Oakland and Arizona.
    Gimme a break, Skankee apologists.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigdean. Show bigdean's posts

Am I worried that the Yankees have cut into Boston's lead a little? No I'm not. Boston had a tough trip out west and ran into some great Oakland pitching. The Red Sox pitched well enough in that series to win every game. The offense was just stymied by the A's pitching staff. I for one knew that the Yankees would get hot sooner than later. The hitters they have are just too good to be held down for an extended period. Cano and Abreu have heated up. Damon is now the DH, which will save his legs and might keep him off the DL. Giambi on the DL makes the Yankees a better team. But, make no mistake about it, the Yankees are an old team.

Clemens gave the Yankees a shot in the arm last weekend. But, it was against the Pittsburgh Pirates, a young team that is far too aggressive at the plate. Let's see what Clemens does when the Red Sox take a few of his pitches that are off the plate. And, there are a few more teams that are patient at the plate besides the Red Sox. Clemens will become nothing more than a 5 or 6 inning pitcher at best. If the Yankee bullpen was solid, that would not matter much. But their bullpen was taxed for the first two months of the season. And, that will come back to haunt them in the dog days ahead. Rivera is still a good closer. But, he is not as automatic as he once was.

I can't even begin to compare the 1978 season to this one. Most importantly, the 1978 team was managed by Don Zimmer, who couldn't manage a pitching staff if his life depended on it. Zimmer also refused to rest his position players when that lead was big. Tito is a direct opposite of Zimmer. He does a great job of managing his pitching staff. Each man in that bullpen knows his role. He rests his positional players as often as he can too. He is taking advantage of the big lead the Red Sox have right now. The Red Sox have 4 solid starters. And the # 5 starter, no matter who it is, Tavarez or Lester, are going to keep the Red Sox in games. I expect Manny and Ortiz to really heat up as the weather does. Lugo is going to wake up too. Crisp in my opinion is just not going to hit much. But, his capability to cover a lot of ground in center field, and his speed on the bases are going to keep him in the lineup, until the Red Sox sign one of the free agent center fielders prior to next season.

Are the Red Sox 10 games better than the Yankees? Maybe not. But, they are better. And, the Red Sox will win the East by at least 5-7 games when all is said and done.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from adrianmott14. Show adrianmott14's posts

Chass' piece in the NYTimes makes some good points, but it assumes that the Yankees will continue to win like the past week and the Red Sox will continue to play .500 ball. Both points are not true, but the fact does remain: It is possible for the Yanks to catch the Sox by the end of the season, thus playing the rest of their schedule 10 games better than the Sox, yet the possibility remains highly unlikely. This is where I think the arguement is a stretch: The Sox' pitching (see Wake last night?) will not allow them to do this. Think about it like this: worst case scenario, the Sox play .500 ball for the rest of the season. With 99 games left, lets say they play them 50-49, that means the Yankees would have to go 60-39 to catch the Sox, something that would be doable the way they're looking now. But there are no signs pointing to the Sox playing .500 ball. The Sox themselves will probably finish out around 60-39 the way their season has been going. If we are more realistic and put them at 98 wins for the season, then they would have to finish their games 57-42, very doable for the Sox. But that would also mean the the Yanks would have to play at a 67-32 clip to catch the Sox, which is a stretch.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from go.sox. Show go.sox's posts

I'm not concerned.

Making up 13 1/2 games in the standing happens once in a lifetime - its already happened (just like I wouldn't be excided about spotting the Yankees a 3-0 lead in a playoff series anytime real soon either).

If you look at it this way, all will be fine - the Yankees have won 7 in a row (3 against the AAA Pirates) and the Sox lost 3 of 4 in Oakland (best pitching in the AL) and the Yankees are STILL 9 1/2 out. Any team would kill for this lead in June. I don't expect the Yankees to win out, nor do I believe the Sox will play sub-.500 ball the rest of the way. It comes down to pitching and as of right now, the Sox have more of it.

If they get within 5 by the end of July, talk to me. Otherwise, the distant rearview mirror glimpse of the Yanks is fine for me.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from dannyboye2. Show dannyboye2's posts

Oakland just took 3 of four from you. The Yankees beat you in the last two series.

What I was trying to say is that it's riduclous to complain about the schedule, win or lose, in a 162 game schedule. You people throw around "apologist" like it means anything. Give it a rest and pay more attention to who your team just played.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mfymfy. Show mfymfy's posts

Well, it took the Yanks about 45 seconds to pick up five games in the standings. The Sox have had their own way for a while--no injuries, no upsets, everything all good while the Yanks were pretty beat up. I think it gets pretty interesting from here on in. If the Sox are only five up in mid to late July, I think you have problems.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from toledopatch. Show toledopatch's posts

The Yankees are the Dracula of baseball. Until you put a stake through their collective heart, they aren't dead. Anyone who thought they would just roll over because they were below .500 on Memorial Day was living in Fantasy Land and doesn't know George Steinbrenner very well.

Am I worried? No. I think the Sox have the horses to get this done and I don't think New York's pitching will hold up, with or without Roger Clemens. But I won't be boasting to the Yankee fans I know about winning the division until the Red Sox have actually won the division, and I'll be even happier if and when New York is mathematically eliminated from the Wild Card, too.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsox20. Show redsox20's posts

nope i am not worried.....like it's been stated...look at who the yanks have played...ummm NO ONE GOOD....the chisox...pirates...gee....lets not all jump at once...the time will come when roger will have to face a good team...then let's see how he does....and let's see when it gets later in the year and the yanks bullpen is destroyed from being used so much...you can't win games without a pen....
    so let's just see what happens...but right now i still have confidence....

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from zippyboro. Show zippyboro's posts

hmmm... 13 page thread that was just started today? Yeah, I'd say RSN is worried...

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from zippyboro. Show zippyboro's posts

what kind of chips are you talking about with those two? lol.

if you somehow manage to blow a 14 1/2 game lead, I think we may be able to return the choke trophy to you....

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from gqmac420. Show gqmac420's posts

YANKS DONT WORRY ME THIS IS WHAT WORRIES ME....

Coco Crisp CF400000000.221

Eric Hinske LF000000000.177

Wily Mo Pena CF100000001.238

JD Drew RF300000012.236
    Doug Mirabelli C100000001.190

Julio Lugo SS400000001.211

AND THESE PLAYERS ARE PLAYING OVER THERE HEADS AND WILL CONTINUE TO COME DOWN

Jason Varitek C201000010.270

Mike Lowell 3B412100100.314

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jfromthebronx. Show jfromthebronx's posts

Can we see the math for your your conclusion? Weak extrapolation just like Murray Chass..

there have been 102 WS Champs and the Sox have won 6. That's an average of 17 years between titles. They need 20 more to tie NY, if NY does not win another. I'll do this slowly for you.

..................twenty....................times seventeen.............................

equals.......................three...................hundred.....................

..forty years.

I was just responding in kind to your ridiculous millenium statement. That's what was weak, I would've thought that 2 posts in a year and half you would've had something more enlightening to share............apparently not.

BTW, I really am not one of those 26 titles guys, but I will dump those trophies on someones head when they ask for it with stupid posts like your original one. Tell me the truth- you found the word extrapolation in Readers Digest's vocabulary list and it's the first time you used it, right?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from philadela44. Show philadela44's posts

FOR ALL YOU "04 WAS THE WORST COLLAPSE IN THE HISTORY OF ALL TIME'ERS"....

within my lifetime...4 world series wins.

for sox fans that i know (and their families).......only 1.

i have....memories of a baseball dynasty....

you have....a totally meaningless football dynasty....

Oh, if you want, here's one historical stat (no need to mention the number 26), but I'd thought I'd throw this one in for those of you who says history doesnt hurt anymore...

Lou Gehrig's farewell...arguably the greatest and most cherished moment in baseball history....and one could even make the argument for a great moment in American history....

Ted Williams farewell...a mere 10,000 fans show up for the GREATEST HITTER EVER. nice sendoff. thank your parents and grandparents for that one...

Also, tell me this sox fan, when im at fenway and ask you guys who number 4 was, how come i know your retired players better than you do.....you better start giving the right answers. Had to embarass some guy in front of his girlfriend the other day, it was worth paying the $$$ for the overpriced ticket....& while im on the subject of fenway...is every seat meant for a 5'6" guy with a female build??

So to those of you who say history means nothing, you negate your 04 series. I'm not one of the Yanks fans to be dropping the number 26 all the time, but if you look at series won within a person's life....us yanks fans are still your daddy...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kt888. Show kt888's posts

if you somehow manage to blow a 14 1/2 game lead, I think we may be able to return the choke trophy to you....

zippy,

Well, I have to agree with you, that would be quite a humiliating choke...........but the Yanks blowing the 4-0 lead in the playoffs (when it counts, as people like to point out) will still be remembered as the biggest choke in baseball history, until it happens again by another club, which as we know, is extremely unlikely. Until that happens, though, you can keep the "choke trophy."

Again though, blowing this 14.5 game lead would be a huge embarrassment for the organization, especially since they threw their previous philosophy out the window and went out and spent ridiculous amounts on certain players (for the record, I think Dice-K is worth it over the long run); and we don't have injuries as an excuse for the recent slide. The positive side to this is that hopefully it will motivate the FO to pursue key trades to improve the team.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from niz-58. Show niz-58's posts

dmez
    Send E-Mail
    Add To Friends
    Ignore Posts

And if the Yankees lose tonight, the above will read;

"Last visit: June 13"

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from johnf. Show johnf's posts

Who's complaining about the schedule? I was just responding to your unresearched assertion that the Red Sox hadn't played anyone yet. The Red Sox will get their shot at the creampuffs later in the season, while the Yankees will play the Minnesotas, Detroits, Oaklands, etc.
    The schedule is the great equalizer.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from happysox. Show happysox's posts

Sox are just letting the Yankes back into contention to make it interesting. It is no fun when the Yanks are in the basement. After all, we would not hear from all you trolls if the Yanks were losing.