1. You have chosen to ignore posts from dhorgan. Show dhorgan's posts

Yanks getting closer... you worried?

Worry? What me worry? Why would we worry when the batters are having such a nice nap. People calculate to the penny what Clemens makes an hour, what do these trillionaires sluggers get for their dismal performance???

Please, get some real major leaguers in here.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_465598. Show user_465598's posts

Worried about the RED SOX yes.
    Worried about the YANKEES catching them.....uhhh- no.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjljjl. Show jjljjl's posts

With torrid hitters like JD Drew, Beckett's inevitable blister, and Schilling's AARP pending membership, the Sox wil fall and fall hard. This will be worse than '78!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ukonjac. Show ukonjac's posts

I too have seen way too much optimism about the pitching staff during the first month and half. Schilling is 40 years old and learning new pitches because he can no longer throw the same stuff he did with quality or power . That makes me think he could lose as many as he wins, with a lot of unfinished starts in between. When you do down the line, they don't have a single pitcher, including Paps, who don't have question marks. The same with the offense, especially the outfield, starters and bench. With the payroll where it is and unable or unwilling to unload some non performers, the only hope is to find someone down on the farm and don't think anyone is ready, pitching or hitting. It is what it is and Francoma has to ride with the horses he has to the end of the season. OTOH, I don't think the Sox will continue to have losing streaks like this because of the weaker teams in the division they will play through the summer.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from uniquepartee. Show uniquepartee's posts

Remember Bucky "F......" Dent!!!!! The 1964 Phillies!!! The Sox need to keep looking ahead and not behind in their rear view mirrors.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from dg0370a. Show dg0370a's posts

I'm not that worried, just get into the playoffs & lets see what happens. Every team goes through a stretch like this. If you look @ the numbers through this snag that they've hit recently you'll see that the pitching has still been pretty good overall. The hitting will come. As far as the Yankees they're hot yes, but look @ who they've played during this streak. They finally get some competition this weekend playing the Mets.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pianoman6. Show pianoman6's posts

not to worry! Sox are too talented this year. They will win easily!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from dehud. Show dehud's posts

Of course, I'm worried. That's in the nature of being a Sox fan. I became a Sox fan (auspiciously) on the day of the play-off game with Cleveland in 1948. I was 10 years old. With rookie Mel Parnell available Joe McCarthy designated a St. Louis Browns cast-off to pitch against Indians rookie Gene Beardon and the rest is history. The Yankees have always been what the Celtics used to be and what the Sox have been rarely (1967 comes to mind) , a team that never accepts defeat. The Sox have only themselves to blame for the rapid loss of half their lead over the Yankees. They have never had a get tough manager except perhaps for Dick Williams in 1967. What would Lou Pinella do? I see the Cubs have been doing better lately. Still, it is not all Francona's fault. Let's see who steps forward if anyone. It's up to the Sox players

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mumbles. Show mumbles's posts

Still to early to be terribly concerned. But......there are some "issues" that are becomiing apparent. Theo Epstien is beginning to look a bit like Dan Duquette. Lugo, Crisp and Drew aren't contributing the way Theo told us they would. Pitching is very good, but cannot hold up the team by itself all season. Ramirez and Ortiz are slumping offensively. Only Mike Lowell looks good and Theo seems to think he is good trade bait. I still believe the Sox will win the division, but it ain't going to be a cake walk. The Skankees will stay there with them for the season or possibly take the lead. But, I'll take the wild card (wild card wins WS most often these days) too. I am looking forward to Lester giving the pitching rotation a boost too. Not that Tavarez has been that bad (actually pretty good) but, he just makes me nervous. Should be an interesting game tonight with him on the mound against Bonds.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jssindc. Show jssindc's posts

Quote:

"I love this comment....especially since the redsox average age is higher than the yankees average age..........even with Clemens. It is so difficult to have an intelligent conversation with someone that doesn't even know the facts."

Sorry, my friend, but average age isn't any more meaningful than someone's anecdotal observation. Think about it, if team A only has players that are 31, then that's its average age. If team B has an equal number of players that are 20 and 40, then its average age is 30 - lower than team A's. However, which team would you expect to experience more age-related injuries, the team where 100% of the players are in their physical prime or the team where half the guys are over the hill?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from captain. Show captain's posts

I'm less concerned about the 7.5 game lead shrinking than I am aboutthe inexplicable cease-fire the Sox offense has declared on opposingpitching. A few games I can see, but it's been 10 games of silence(save Drew's 7 RBI game in AZ) and the entire team seems to be waitingfor someone else to step up and get things going. They're making everypitcher out there look like an ace.

Bottom line, 7.5 games is still a pretty good lead. But if they keep playing like this, it'll be gone by the 4th of July.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from verrildd. Show verrildd's posts

Of course I'm worried, 1/3 of our offense CAN"T HIT! Lugo, Crisp, and Drew all in a row are killing us. We should put Cora at SS, Hinske in right, and Wily in center. While that may not fix the hitting issues, it's not like we can lose any more games than we have lately.

Any Sox fans that aren't worried are naive.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbp118. Show mbp118's posts

Look at the respective schedules -- the Yankees will pass the Red Sox sometime in July. Of that, there really can't be much doubt, unless the Yankees have even more injuries. However, then the schedules turn the other way and it becomes a matter of how many games the Yankees give back between August 5 and when the teams play each other again. That's the stretch of games that will determine who wins the division.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from bakkerb1. Show bakkerb1's posts

I am starting to get worried! Our pitching has tanked, our offense stinks and the Yankees are starting to get healthy. We better get our act together or we will be getting passed in the standings by July 4th!

Sully - Boston

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mustangs71. Show mustangs71's posts

What me worry? Nah ... I think the Sox will get out of this slump. The Yankees? they will not keep up this pace. The only issue down here in CT in the Red Sox - Yankee demilitarized zone is that the Yankee fans will start coming out of these holes ... they have been very quiet since 2004. It has been nice.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from oimcherry. Show oimcherry's posts

I always worry when June comes around. The Sox, no matter how well they have done up until June, ALWAYS lose it in June. It's a bad month for them.

The reverse is true for the Yankees. It's always a good month for them and with Benedict Arnold Clemens in the pitching line up, we may be screwed.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from oimcherry. Show oimcherry's posts

I agree completely! The Yanks are never far out of contention and always a threat no matter what. You can never count them out.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from cpoppanom. Show cpoppanom's posts

Afraid of the Yankees! No way.

I'm afraid of the Red Sox. Too many offensive holes in that lineup.

Being pitching strong is great but the Sox need more bats!

I didn't realize the team was "pitching strong". A #5 starter that should (at best ) be in the bullpen. A #3 that should be a 4 or 5. The three other starters that have proven over the years to be inconsistent, and moreover have probably, on the whole, overachieved thus far. A bullpen with a long reliever that was cut by (of all teams) the Royals.

But you're certainly right about the offense. I wonder what it would be like to have Hanley Ramirez and Trot Nixon - for less than half the money of Lugo and Drew.

Red Sox can go 50-49 (.505) in the remaining 99 games this season and wind up at 91-71.

The Yankees have to go 60-40 (.600) to reach that same record.

Are the Sox going to go .505 the rest of the season? Are the Yankees going to go .600?

I do not think so. I think the Sox, at least, will go .560 (55-44) and wind up at 96-66. At least.

Wow. What a GREAT way of looking at things. Of course, you could also look at it like........well......the Yankees have made up 6 games on the Sox in less than 2 weeks. You don't think they can make up another 7.5 in 3+ months? Or you could look at the fact that the Sox are under .500 so far in June. BUT..........the numbers game shouldn't really matter, and you certainly shouldn't play it. Because your argument is hinged on that intangible thing called optimism. You either have it or you don't.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from navykoz. Show navykoz's posts

Does it feel like some previous Augusts in New England?

You know hot and sticky, but chilly in the bullpen, or at bat, or both?

Well.....it's not hot and sticky! ;-(

I will be a fan for life, but this is quite disappointing.

As for the numbers, yes the Red Sox can be a .505 team for the rest of the season (though I hope not) what's worse is, it is conceivable that the Yanks could be a .600 team (unlikely but possible). The BOSOX cannot be satisfied with being.500 for the rest of the season. If they do that I believe the best they can do is be a wildcard team; and that's debatable. The Yankees are angry to prove that the early going was injury driven, and recently it seems so.

Oh how I would love to have a hot and sticky August with some real heat at bat and some steam coming out of the bullpen ;-)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jiimg. Show jiimg's posts

Offensive holes indeed. My solution? Play Cora at shortstop and Wily Mo in center. Lugo and Crisp? Trade them at any cost (eat the money). I hope we see Jacoby and Jon Lester sooner than too late.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from lpapalia. Show lpapalia's posts

I think what is going on right now is typical for the Red Sox. Losing with a team as strong as ours is nothing more than a mental failure. I think this may be a result of years of blunder and blown chances, but it must be shook. We are a great team and we need to play like we know it. The Yankees are a team steeped in a long history of victory. They know how to win and how to stick it out when the chips are down. Could this be an issue of self esteem? Wake up Sox and stop leaning on the debilitatiing crutch of past failures.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jd63. Show jd63's posts

Snot heads are coming on fast Yahoo Nation!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from t8tjt. Show t8tjt's posts

Not Yet

Soon though at this pace.

Tom

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from majormathew. Show majormathew's posts

You have to be concerned. That lead was cut in half in no time. And that was without any major injuries with any sox players. It's not like Ortiz or Schilling went down and everyone can say wait till this guy or that guy comes back. This team doesn't score enough runs ( someone should find that mystery drink Ortiz was drinking for the last couple of yrs cause it looks like he needs it again). Not to mention I haven't exactly seen any of there major 3 shut down the Yanks. Keep in mind the more Dice K is seen the better teams will prepare for him. Yanks hands down have the better pitching staff and thats without Hughes. Every since Arod smacked Paps out of the park it's been uphill for one team and down for the other. If Yanks get to 5 games by the all-star break they are taking the division.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from mmmz. Show mmmz's posts

Of course I'm worried, with the Red Sox there's always reason to worry.