1. You have chosen to ignore posts from atomicpunk5150. Show atomicpunk5150's posts

Yaz hospitalized with chest pains

I'm pulling for ya, Yaz! You'll always be the greatest Sox player in my mind. I dug out my 18 year-old Yaz shirt this past weekend when I went to the Hall of Fame, and just like on your plaque, I know you've got a million more of those Triple Crown smiles left in you.

I brought back a souvenir I found in one of the shops that rings true: a label proclaiming "Yaz's Kielbasa Power!"

I'm going to play my Impossible Dream record as soon as I get home tonight.

Szybkiego powrotu do zdrowia Captain!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyoe. Show crazyoe's posts

I am too young to remember Yaz well as a player. But no one ever has a bad thing to say about him. Get Well Soon!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mainesoxfan04462. Show mainesoxfan04462's posts

Best wishes to the 'Man They Call Yaz'. My family moved to Marblehead in 1965 when I was 15. Having grown up in Chicago I was a White Sox fan until '67 when the Red Sox pulled me in with their Impossible Dream season. I've been a Red Sox fan ever since...mainly due to Yaz.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from billywalsh. Show billywalsh's posts

Why does boston.com post this stuff like he died? I mean, he just in the hospital, let's not jinx the guy!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from liljess. Show liljess's posts

[Quote]Here's an idea; let's not eulogize him just yet. JEEZ what a bunch of vultures you are over there at the Globe![/Quote]

I agree! I had chest pains the other day when I found out Tek was getting divorced!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sinop. Show Sinop's posts

44/121/.326 - The first sports stats I ever learned, at age 7, thanks to #8. Everyone tried to emulate that high-bat batting stance like Yaz. Best wishes for a quick recovery for my all-time favorite sports hero, RSN has you in their thoughts and prayers.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MannyManic. Show MannyManic's posts

Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery Mr. Yastrzemski! Your Red Sox legacy is what has driven this Nation forward every single year.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from maynardgkrebs. Show maynardgkrebs's posts

12 years old in the summer of '67. Still the best summer of my life. Get well, Yaz.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from richgil. Show richgil's posts

I broke my baseball cherry on 1967. Need I say more about where Yaz fits?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rotofunk. Show rotofunk's posts

Yaz is/was one of the biggest a**holes off the field, especially with kids and autographs. And don't get me wrong, I'm a huge Sox fan, but this man has very little class. But I still wish him well.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 68fbrd. Show 68fbrd's posts

Get well soon Yaz..........You are the EXACT reason I have been a Red Sox DIE HARD for 41 years now!!!!!!!!!!!!

Darrell
    Wichita, Ks

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Get well soon, Carl...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from winslow1191. Show winslow1191's posts

I don't know what Yaz is/was like off the field and I don't care. For class, dignity and respect for the game, for the way he played it and for the results, there's never been anyone like him. Some have surpassed him in the particulars, but for the whole package, he was one of a kind.

Heart by-pass surgery is like clipping fingernails today and I have a realistic hopes for Yaz's full recovery. My prayers are with him.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from obsidianom. Show obsidianom's posts

To Captain Carl,
    Please get well soon. We all need to know you are still with us. To those of us who came of age in the 1960s, you will always be our "impossible dream".
    No one in sport history ever changed a towns outlook on a team as much, or carried a team on his back as you did in 1967.
    We will always remember where we were when you caught the ball in Yankee stadium to keep Billy Rohrs no-hitter going, and when you hit the big homer off Merritt at Fenway in the next to last game to help bring us the pennant.
    Your career was a study in CLASS as in a class act. We will always see you as the hero you are in Boston and New England.
    As Jess Cain sang, "the man we call YAZ, we LOVE him". Be well and carry on.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from swiftman. Show swiftman's posts

Carl, I hope for a full recovery for yourself and prayer's are going out to you and your family. As an oldtimer that was able to watch you whole carreer, you were and are still my favorite position player the Sox ever had. A true profesional
    Get well soon.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from sox-n-pats-fan. Show sox-n-pats-fan's posts

Sunday, October 1st, 1967.......Red Sox and Twins tied for first place and playing each other in the final game of the regular season....late innings.....Twins leading, 2-0......bases loaded....Yastrzemski at bat.....line drive......up the middle into center field, two runs score and "we're tied, 2-2"......the hit that changed the history of The Red Sox.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from gjsliney. Show gjsliney's posts

Get well soon Yaz. You have always been one of the best. I remember how you signed a ball for me that you tossed to me in the stands. it took me three tries to get it, but you kept throwing it to me. years later i met you at an Insurance Agents convetntion where you were the guest speaker. As usual you were gracious and a lot of fun to talk to. yes, one of the best!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from legwood. Show legwood's posts

I've been a diehard baseball addict since the 50's and over the years been asked many about the best season I ever saw a player since that time, to the extent that he literally carried a team for an entire season. The answer is easy: Carl Yastrzemski for the 1967 Boston Red Sox. He not only put up the numbers to capture the triple crown but he was at his absolute best in the clutch, when it mattered most with the game on the line and his team depended on him. That was just Yaz offensively. Defensively, I have yet to see anyone play the Green Monster at Fenway as capably at that man. He could bluff baserunners into either taking off or holding their bases at the wrong time. A runner relying of the body language of Yaz to determine whether he should either run or hold his base most often paid a dear price for his foolhardiness. He also played the bounces off that wall so cleanly that throwing out runners at second base, the guys trying to stretch singles into doubles, was a matter of routine.

Though not particularly a Bosox fan at the time, I watched many of their games and stood in awe of Yaz, a true leader, by example, and a classy gentleman.

This may be heresy in Boston but because of his phenomenal defence, I prefered him over Ted Williams, who disdained playing the outfield.

I wish Mr. Yastrzemski all of the best in his recovery. My prayers are with him.

Larry Wood
    Bowmanville, Ontario
    Canada

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from yaz3308. Show yaz3308's posts

When you come to call the honor roll, you ponder, where to start. Each man gave his contribution, each man played his part. But the man who served as leader in the field and at the plate, with his glove and hustle, with his bat and muscle, was the fabulous number 8. We love you Carl, get well soon. Battle this like you did every pitcher you ever faced!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from tonyu. Show tonyu's posts

Before 67, kids in the grandstands could slam the seats on each side of them to make noise in the late innings. No longer, since people sit in those seats now.

Yaz was the main reason folks woke up and went to Red Sox games in the late 60's...

Being a Polish-American, you brought pride to our community! We love ya "Cahl"...get well soon! We'll need ya to deliver the first pitch of the series in October.

Tony Uminski
    San Antonio via Dorchester/Weymouth

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from NM-Sox-fan. Show NM-Sox-fan's posts

I lived in Saugus, Mass from my birth in 1964 until March 1975 when my family moved to Vermont. Yaz was far and away my favorite player ever. I met him once at a Lincoln/Mercury dealreship in Burlingtomn Vermont where he was signing autographs - must have been about 1977. I brought my baseball glove for him to sign, but go so nervous when I met him that I just froze. He saw what was happening and took my glove from me and signed it. I was speechless. One of my greatest childhood memories. Get weel buddy and thanks!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from yawhause. Show yawhause's posts

I was lucky enough to see him play in the early 60's and during that wonderful 1967 "Impossible Dream" season. He was also my first crush.. May he make a speedy recorvery. The world - to say nothing of Red Sox Nation - needs that kind of class to hang around a while longer.

Barb

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ljmel. Show ljmel's posts

Unless you lived it you won't ever be able to get the feelings generated by the 67 Sox. All season long you wanted it to happen but knew it couldn't and wouldn't happen. You went along for the ride though because it was fun, again, and it was your team living through an amazing ride! Then it really happened. They won!!! I still remember going for a walk that night in an excited fog... and yes, with a tear or many tears, really. And Yaz in one magical, summer brought reality to the impossible dream that we all had. Yaz we love to talk about you and your team even after 40 years. We want to see more of you after you get well again!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dreamer007. Show dreamer007's posts

YAZ ushered me into baseball as a fan in 1967...
    one of the all time greats!!!!

Sections
Shortcuts