1. You have chosen to ignore posts from red_mama. Show red_mama's posts

Your thoughts on pink hats

Usually, I read all comments before posting, but this site is taking so much time to load... apologies if someone else made this point. 

The question that Kate M Jackson needs to investigate is not so much whether pink wearers are new fans "where were they in 2000" but whether women could even purchase a pink hat back then. 

Remember that was back before John Henry et al decided to wring as much $ from the fans as possible by expanding the merchandise and concessions.  Don’t get me wrong, I’m glad there is more than one type of beer on sale in the park.  (Although I’m not sure that Aramark is an improvement over Harry M Stevens after reading the board of heath report!)  And I can give you all of my bona fides as a long time female fan – I remember going to Fenway on school sponsored class trips back in 1975 way back when I was in 2nd grade.   I saw Jose Canseco pitch!  I chanted “Manny’s Hitless Chants” from the bleachers in the 1999 playoffs – when we creamed the Indians setting a record for runs in the playoffs. 

Could their resentment be that people are buying new stuff.  Let’s face it.  How many red hats with blue “B”s, then blue hats with red “B”s can one person own?  It was fun getting the green hat when I was in Ft Meyers for the St. Pat’s game – although not quite as cool seeing the same hat up here during the year.  I still have my authentic satin warm-up jacket.  But I’m glad get new stuff. 

It's more likely that the pink haters are frustrated about getting shut out of buying tickets and spending $100 to go to a game even if you sit in the bleachers – between parking, tix and concessions.  I’m sorry to say I’ve been shut out of the online buying this year – and I refuse to pay over face value.  My husbands firm was turned down this year for their annual trip to Fenway – even though they have been group ticket buyers for years.  If it weren’t for the alumni office trip, we wouldn’t be going at all. 

Still don’t take it out on the “pink” chicks' fashion choices. I was going to the games long before I could buy a pink hat - and I'm just as shut out / priced out as you are.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from nice-marmot. Show nice-marmot's posts

i recently saw spaceman bill lee being interviewed wearing a camoflage sox hat.  is he a fair weather fan too?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MAHMAH. Show MAHMAH's posts

This is great.  I think the pink hats are fine.  I am an "original fan", but I moved away after college so I don't see all the new bandwagon fans.  But I really don't care either.  What really irks me is all the new fans packing Fenway so when I go back I can't get a ticket for under $100.  Sox fans just NEED something to get pissed about.  Get pissed about the middle relief situation being like a coin flip.  Get pissed about Lugo throwing one into the dugout once again and allowing another unearned run.  Pink hats?  Who cares???  When I was in highschool and the tickets were $7 in the bleachers, nobody wore pink hats.  You know why?  Because they didn't make them.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PuttsForSix. Show PuttsForSix's posts

I wore a blue Red Sox hat and a green Celtics shirt all my life, even when I lived in Pittsburgh in the 90s and neither team won anything.

Those are the colors.  They're unisex.  Blue hat with a red B, and red, blue or white shirt.  Not green - green is for the Celtics.  Not pink - none of the teams wear pink.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from SupahFan. Show SupahFan's posts

Women's fitted "Real Fans Don't Wear Pink" tee shirts have been sold at SupahFans.com & even here at The Boston Globe Store for the last 3 years. SupahFans store is even accessed at:

http://realfansdontwearpink.com/

Coming soon is a guy's version of the shirt. 

Kevin

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from pico22. Show pico22's posts

Although it's obviously not a big deal, it's a little annoying.  I had a pink hat behind me yelling for Manny to hit a home run...except JD Drew was at the plate.  Not all pink hats are bandwagon or clueless fans.  And not all regular, team-colors hat wearing folks are knowledgeable.  But it is absolutely a symbol of the sickening bandwagoning going on.  Kind of like the thousands who wear Brady jerseys who couldn't name 5 other Pats...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

[Quote]Jete my man, how you been, bro?   I'm looking forward to a war this July 4th weekend! Hope your boys are up to the task....:)[/Quote] i'm good thanks...i'm looking forward to our"friendly" get together..LOL!!...always a fun series..i think we'll be ready..i do know one thing..during a Yanks/Sox series you can throw the "expected" out the window..these two teams never do it the easy way..lol!!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from HHS1964. Show HHS1964's posts

[Quote]Why do people hate pink hats?  Because it's women who wear them and some guys think women can't be true sports fans.[/Quote]

You are so right; who the heck cares anyway? Just the narrow minded ignorant jerks.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from shiplore. Show shiplore's posts

[Quote]I hate pink hats.  Where were they in 2000 when the team wasn't good?  I can't wait until the Sox start losing so the pink hats go away.[/Quote]

This might be the dumbest thing ever said on a message board ever.

Teams always get more popular when they win, the excitement brings new fans to something they may have over looked in the past.

Where were you in 1982? Where were you in 1965?

Please don't post anymore. And if you don't breed that would be nice too.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from cappy68. Show cappy68's posts

I think the reason for everyone's undies being in a bunch over the pink hats, or ANY deviation from Red or Blue, is because it's all about tradition here. Fenway Franks, Yawkey Way, the Green Monster and "Reverse the Curse " spray painted over the storrow drive overpass - and Pink Sox hats ? - Huh ? Personally I hate the camouflage ones. Do any of the Red Sox' wives wear any of these "knock offs " ?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kristenpl. Show kristenpl's posts

I had NO idea that my pink hat was not wanted at Fenway.  I got mine when I attended a Pan Mass Challenge event that the Red Sox sponser for the Jimmy Fund. 
    As a Breast Cancer Survivor/Dana Farber Patient/Pan Mass rider and Red Sox Fan..I can assure you there are more than a few Breast Cancer Survivor's with Pink Red Sox hats and they are no less the fan than the red or blue hat wearers.
    I love my pink hat that is signed by Jonathon Papplebon and will wear it proudly as a symbol of solidarity with my fellow Sox Fans and Survivors..

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[Quote]I have to agree with purplehead!!   I watch every game just like I have for the past 40yrs and now I actually enjoy rooting for any Sox opponent.   Ticket prices are out of sight, along with the parking costs, food prices, etc.   I see pink hats in the stands, huge luxury corporate boxes, and the best seats occupied by folks with cell phones to their ear.  I am tired of going to games and hearing profanity, not towards the players, but just in normal conversation.  I don't recall ever seeing any girl buying, or collecting, baseball cards.  All of a sudden they jump on the trendy RSN bandwagon!![/Quote]

1-Ticket prices are out of sight, but then so are a lot of things.  Compare the rate of inflation for tickets against the cost for college, or a Broadway play, or even a movie.  It's not so very different.

2-The best tickets have probably always gone to those with money.  The only reason why you see the cell phones now is because they didn't have cell phones when you went to games.  How else are you going to call your wife to tell her you're working late?

3-Profanity at a BB game?  It can't be.  It must be a Boston thing.  I've been going to NYY games for 40 years+, and I have never heard anyone use a bad word.

4-My daughter doesn't collect BB cards, but I still take her to several games each year for love of the game.  Are you saying that's wrong?

5-Nothing wrong with the bandwagon, as long as you don't hop on and off.  Do you have any idea how many fans, in this site alone, hopped on the wagon in 1967?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NPBMike. Show NPBMike's posts

Mia Hamm first wore a pink Red Sox cap to Fenway in honor of breast cancer awareness. It caught on much to the chagrin of the WEEI talking heads and their equally uninformed following.
    Keep wearing the pink hats ladies!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from highlighter. Show highlighter's posts

I agree:
    "Pink is not a part of the Red Sox palette,...And while we're at it, ban the green ones and the camouflage ones, too. Those aren't the team's colors."

If you are such a strong supporter of the team, wear the team's colors along with their emblem.

You wouldn't wear a navy hat with a red teddy bear on it and say it's a red sox hat, would you?

By the way - this isn't just a Boston phenomenon...there are "pink hats" in every major league park.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from putowski. Show putowski's posts

Fashion statement? Pink and red clash.
    But let everyone wear what they like. I wear dark blue w/a red "B" because that's what I wore at my first game, 1946, Dave "Boo" Ferris day...when there was no "monster," just the left field wall.If new fans haven't suffered, let them be happy.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bernie1380. Show bernie1380's posts

let's rename this thread to bandwagon jumpers. I don't care what f-n hat you have one, just your longevity w/ a team.

During one of the rain delays, NESN threw on a 1999 game where Nomar had a game winning homer. From about the 1st base batters box all the way back to right field, not a single current die hard fan, actually not a single soul out there period. You could go right up to the seats along the edge of the field. That's what irks people

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eremiah. Show Eremiah's posts

Quote from Ted Williams: "Forever, she's the greatest Red Sox fan there'll ever be," Williams said of Lib Dooley in 1996.  

She attended every Sox home game from 1944-1999.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MOMOFTWNBYZ. Show MOMOFTWNBYZ's posts

[Quote]

We have enough hate from the rest of the country for New England sports, now were turning on our own fans for wearing pink hats?
    Who cares if they are fair weather fans or not?

Isn't sports supposed to bring in new fans? I have no problem with the ladies wearing pink hats, and anyone that does has some real issues.

Leave these ladies alone that wear the pink hats and focus on rooting for the sox.

[/Quote]
    You hit the nail on the head!! I've been a fan since the early 70's and my sons bought me my first Red Sox hat last year - and it is pink!  The color doesn't matter, the length of being a fan doesn't matter - BEING A FAN IS WHAT MATTERS!!!  Is there a rule at Fenway that we can only wear red & white? No, all colors are acceptable - please find something more important to complain about - there are plenty of more important topics to discuss than the color of a baseball cap.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eremiah. Show Eremiah's posts

[Quote]

Quote from Ted Williams: "Forever, she's the greatest Red Sox fan there'll ever be," Williams said of Lib Dooley in 1996.  

She attended every Sox home game from 1944-1999.

[/Quote]

When he manned the microphone behind Fenway's home plate, it was not unusual for the legendary Curt Gowdey to tell his listeners that Lib Dooley was wearing a new yellow hat.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Heff-17. Show Heff-17's posts

[Quote]Fashion statement? Pink and red clash.
    But let everyone wear what they like. I wear dark blue w/a red "B" because that's what I wore at my first game, 1946, Dave "Boo" Ferris day...when there was no "monster," just the left field wall.If new fans haven't suffered, let them be happy.
    [/Quote]

I'm stunned.

A well thought out, totally correct, inargueable, pleases both sides kind of post. That is one of the best posts I've ever read on this site. Of course, since most of the people on here are complete morons (the fact that over 300 posts have been posted on this subject kinda shows it), it isn't too big a compliment, but kudos anyway.

You're absolutely right. Who cares what people wear? Even if some to most of them are fair weather fans who wear the infamous pink hats, what about the ones that aren't? You know that fair weather fans will always pop up where a team wins, but I'll sure as hell take them along for the ride if it includes rings at the end of it.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimdavis. Show jimdavis's posts

[Quote]I dont understand why guys would be upset at this.  Have you been to a game lately and seen the girls walking around wearing the pink hatas at the ballpark.  Its great to see some hot girls around the stadium.  I dont know how any guy could complain.[/Quote]

Amen!! I'll take the hot girls in pink hats anyday over a stadium full of dudes!  Anyway, I remember electric green and bright pink hats in the late 80's-early 90's.  I even wore a pink one (sorry to say) to Yankee Stadium on a bet!  Remember, in the late 80's, those wild colors were "in"...I almost had my "man card" revoked!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomer5. Show Boomer5's posts

I have been a Sox fan my whole life, attending my first game in 1968.  My wife & I have been attending games together since guys like Carlos Quintana, Scott Cooper & Bob Zupcic were trying to knock in runs to support Danny Darwin, Friank Viola and John Dopson.  In 1999,  my wife was particularly distracted by various
    things & was having trouble sleeping.  To get her mind off of her
    "troubles, " I asked, "how many members of the Red Sox can you name?"  She named 22 of the then current 25 man roster + 1 on the d.l.  I think that she missed guys like MarkGuthrie and Juan Pena.  On another occasion, after a game that we missed, I was watching Sports Center for the highlights.  When I saw the outcome, I went to tell her about the game, and said, "the two most unlikely guys hit home runs to tie & win the game for the Red Sox."  She said, "don't tell me (and thought for a minute)...Frye.....and Lewis."  Correct she was!!!

So, when the Red Sox and - guess what? - every other major league team started selling hats of all different colors to appeal to kids, women and people who simply like different colors (my brother in law flipped when he found an orange Sox hat), I bought my wife a pink one.  It looked much better on her than the 2 Red Sox "alternate" official team caps she bought around 1998 (remember those?). 

If anyone insulted or harrassed my wife for wearing a pink hat, they'd be in danger of getting a Troy O'Leary signature bat strategically placed, where only a proctologist would find it.

I bet there are thousands more fat, beer swilling, nacho shovelling 20 something year old guys with big-breasted, belly-shirt wearing teen age girlfriends, wearing the standard issue blue Red Sox caps, that are just as much bandwagon jumpers than any woman wearing a pink hat.  Most, likely, those are the cretins who would curse out a 12 year old girl for wearing a pink Red Sox hat.

Some people need to grow up and get a life!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatriotsFan2013. Show PatriotsFan2013's posts

Heck I would wear a purple hat with a Boston "B" on it! Who cares a fan is a fan!

BTW I do own a PINK HAT and will wear it with pride! :-)

Here is to the ladies with pink hats, I tip my pink hat to you! :-)

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from MOMOFTWNBYZ. Show MOMOFTWNBYZ's posts

We are fans regardless of what color we are wearing.  My sister got me interested in the early 70's, she knew the stats of each and every player, their personal information, including family information, she was about 14 at the time and although she now lives in PA she continues to be a Red Sox fan, she lived in New York for 10 years as a Red Sox fan.  She has a pink hat and so do I - does that mean we're not real fans?  NO! Fans are fans, whether they just got interested this year, last year, or 50 years ago - do you think the Red Sox discourage someone in their 20s, 30s, 40s or older from being a fan just because they haven't been one all along? NO!  The more the merrier.  Relax and enjoy the game, this is not a fashion show.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

From about the 1st base batters box all the way back to right field, not a single current die hard fan, actually not a single soul out there period. You could go right up to the seats along the edge of the field. That's what irks people

So, are you saying that the 'real fans' back in 1999 didn't buy tickets to the games? 

I gotta tell you, I've heard this before about the bandwagon fans buying tickets, and that now it's impossible to get tickets.  If the stands were empty back then, then 'real fans' like yourself should've invested in 4 season tickets, chopped them up among your friends, and you wouldn't have to worry about this.

Instead, you took the tickets for granted and allowed other to buy them.  Now you can't sit behind 1st anymore.  TFB.  I used to tickets downstairs at YS, 1st row of the back section.  The NYY stunk, no one went, we gave them up, and now some yuppies have them.  TFB for me too, but most everyone in here had an opportunity to buy these tickets at YS or the Fens at some point.  Some availed themselves of the opportunity to do so, and some passed on the opportunity, for a wide variety of reasons.  But you can't blame the people that spend their hard earned money to buy the tix when they became available.

Sections
Shortcuts