1. You have chosen to ignore posts from WTJB. Show WTJB's posts

Your thoughts on pink hats

This town drives me crazy.  Lloosen up!  My daughter has been a Sox fan since she could talk.  She has a pink hat, wore it to the first Series we won in 86 years.  Got Saberhagen and Rice to sign it and she considers it a  precious momento.  Pink hats, green hats, Red White and Blue if you want  - be positive, people, this shouldn't even be a discussion topic.   If you're a loser who doesn't like new fans, then stay at home in front of the tube, alone.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Milltycoon. Show Milltycoon's posts

Pink gets a bad rap.  It is hard to love.  For barbecuers, it means that the hungry family has to wait because the chicken isn't done yet.  For many men, it is an impossible color to wear without questioning one's masculinity.  For Republicans in the 1950's, it labelled a particularly insidious brand of Communism.  Pink Floyd and the artist Pink have their moments, but bubble gum icecream is horrible.
      So I can see the anguish.  Let it go.  Pink hats, as well as the throng of new fans they represent, are a good thing.  I am glad the team is winning and people all over are being converted.  If the Red Sox were a political candidate, this would be a great thing--new people believing in the product.  No one would hope that the candidate started going down to 15% just so that they could determine who its deepest loyalists were.
      Go Red Sox.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

[Quote]I really don't have a problem with it.......

With that being said.....I did have a Pinky ask me last year at the Park....who the Yazstremski guy was on the back of my Sons jersey.........

Nice........sigh[/Quote] GM AuBosox, don't times like that make you you wish you were holding a pie...LOL!! 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bernie1380. Show bernie1380's posts

[Quote]From about the 1st base batters box all the way back to right field, not a single current die hard fan, actually not a single soul out there period. You could go right up to the seats along the edge of the field. That's what irks people

So, are you saying that the 'real fans' back in 1999 didn't buy tickets to the games? 

I gotta tell you, I've heard this before about the bandwagon fans buying tickets, and that now it's impossible to get tickets.  If the stands were empty back then, then 'real fans' like yourself should've invested in 4 season tickets, chopped them up among your friends, and you wouldn't have to worry about this.

Instead, you took the tickets for granted and allowed other to buy them.  Now you can't sit behind 1st anymore.  TFB.  I used to tickets downstairs at YS, 1st row of the back section.  The NYY stunk, no one went, we gave them up, and now some yuppies have them.  TFB for me too, but most everyone in here had an opportunity to buy these tickets at YS or the Fens at some point.  Some availed themselves of the opportunity to do so, and some passed on the opportunity, for a wide variety of reasons.  But you can't blame the people that spend their hard earned money to buy the tix when they became available.[/Quote]

I did doche bag. I got them in 89.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bert0529. Show Bert0529's posts

I'm not going back and read 425 posts so here's my open letter to the pink hatters:

Dear Pink Hatters,
    Welcome aboard! There's plenty of room for all of us! Please don't worry about those fans who will try to explain to you that they are somehow more valuable because they've been there longer or becasue they have more "serious" gear. A sun faded cap with a frayed bill just denotes an older hat, not a better fan. If you bought your hat and your ticket you're a fan just like the rest of us. You may have more to learn, but nothing to prove. There are no qualification or prerequisites to being a Red Sox fan. If you've noticed the championships and thought it looked fun, you're right, it is. Come on and get some. Bring your kids and their friendds too. It will be nice to witness the building of a fan base that is not jaded, entitled, or just plain soured. Most Red Sox fans are not this way, but the ones who are are loud and can be intimidating. Ignore them. Young, fresh, happy faces are good to see. Baseball is a game that is supposed to unite people not divide them into classes. Sit where you can, wear what you want, cheer how you feel, enjoy the game.

Go Red Sox!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joebreidey. Show Joebreidey's posts

[Quote]I did doche bag. I got them in 89.[/Quote]

Okay, then I take it all back.  You've done extremely well for yourself.  Just curious if you don't mind me asking, how close are your seats?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kevinluby. Show kevinluby's posts

I tend to agree with the thinking that Pink hats are wrong because pink except for mothers day is not a baseball color period.  I am a bit surprised about the backlash concerning green hats. St.Patricks day in Florida-team wears green hats. And heck they even wore green to honor the Celts. Green is ok but pink, no.

Besides pink I really hate all the extreme designs and styles and the hip hop influence in ball caps. Get back to traditional ball caps with a true retro style thrown in to add some variety. Rap and baseball don't belong together.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from kevinluby. Show kevinluby's posts

I tend to agree with the thinking that Pink hats are wrong because pink except for mothers day is not a baseball color period.  I am a bit surprised about the backlash concerning green hats. St.Patricks day in Florida-team wears green hats. And heck they even wore green to honor the Celts. Green is ok but pink, no.

Besides pink I really hate all the extreme designs and styles and the hip hop influence in ball caps. Get back to traditional ball caps with a true retro style thrown in to add some variety. Rap and baseball don't belong together.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Boomer5. Show Boomer5's posts

[Quote]The 'pink hats' are not all the people wearing pink hats, and they are not just the people wearing pink hats; they are this new breed of hipster Red Sox fan who isn't from here, never liked the Sox (or perhaps even baseball) prior to 2004. THOSE are the people being complained about in this thread.[/Quote]

This quote stood out for me. 

I understand that "Pink Hats" has become a euphemism for the bandwagon jumpers. 

I understand, and somewhat agree with folks' annoyance with bandwagon jumpers, especially because it has made it so hard for the average family man (who could never afford season tickets in the first place) to get decent seats to a game

But the Globe article that started this discussion was literally about people wearing the pink hats being bashed, and automatically being labelled as bandwagon jumpers because of the color of the hat with the "B" on it...  and that is just ridiculous.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

[Quote]Great post, Bert!  I'm a long time Sox fan (since '67) and feel exactly the way you do.  Who cares what you wear; the more the merrier![/Quote]..yeah, besides it doesn't make you Sox fans any less obnoxious..J/k.. Good Morning Chloe, Happy Friday!..what a lousy night, you guys off, Yanks cut short, this w/e should make up for it..my parents are coming up from Fla,(going to Sunday's game)...have a great w/e Chloe..   

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from WillCo. Show WillCo's posts

[Quote]I don't know what's worse - the pink hats or an article about them!

All in fun. Personally, not my style.[/Quote]

...this picture of Carson Kressley just about says it all..."not that it's a bad thing"...

carson_BDD.jpg

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

[Quote]...this picture of Carson Kressley just about says it all..."not that it's a bad thing"...

carson_BDD.jpg

[/Quote]lovely...isn't he quite the fashion plate..lol!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

btw Morning WillCo..what's doin?..

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from malcolmm. Show malcolmm's posts

5 years ago, we thought we'd never see a world series champion, now that we've won 2, people are worried about hat colors? get a life, people!! my only gripe is, get rid of the red and green jerseys. otherwise, it's great to see all the "B"s out there, even down here in New Jersey.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

I went to my first Sox game in 1961, spent many happy days as a bleacher bum and I am a woman.

REAL FANS DON'T WEAR PINK

Thoses sissy girly hats insult the Nation.

It is what it is.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

[Quote]GM AuBosox, don't times like that make you you wish you were holding a pie...LOL!! [/Quote]

Hey Jete,

How are you?  Still can't figured out that other thread so I gave up.

Having a good summer?  The Yanks are hanging in there but the Sox are still going to beat them is post season lol!!!

I'll be seeing the Yanks and Sox at Fenway next month.  I'll be thinking of you:)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

hey 67, what's up bud?..i'm good thanks..my summer is OK so far..hope yours is good as well.. we gave you guys another headstart this year..don't worry we're about to make our move(if those damn Rays' would just get out of the way)...LOL!!!..Enjoy those games..bring a pillow..you know the Yanks and Sox just LOOOVE those long ones..

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jdpinstripes. Show jdpinstripes's posts

Everyone who defends Pink Hats should be shot. 
    There are only TWO exceptions...
    - If it gets your daughter to shut up during the game
    - If your mom happened to pay for tickets, not just for one game, but in my family's case, the absurd $25,000 per season, all due before December 9th (Thanks guys, really does a number on the Christmas shopping) Oh and did I mention the $4,000 due on September 1st for the Playoffs.
    You earn the right to wear a Pink Hat and be called a real fan. How best to do it, by forking out the big bucks for seats and leaving them to the kids. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

[Quote]hey 67, what's up bud?..i'm good thanks..my summer is OK so far..hope yours is good as well.. we gave you guys another headstart this year..don't worry we're about to make our move(if those damn Rays' would just get out of the way)...LOL!!!..Enjoy those games..bring a pillow..you know the Yanks and Sox just LOOOVE those long ones..[/Quote] edit sorry about the "bud"..force of habit..

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bert0529. Show Bert0529's posts

A real fan would welcome more fans for their team. A threatened elitist would find ways to exclude or demean them.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

[Quote]For the record, I don't wear a pink hat, never have.  But at least we look good in our gear, no matter what color it is.  You guys have Frank as the spokesmodel for the MFY fan, so what were you saying about obnoxious?...Hope you and your family have a great time at your game (even when they lose!)... :-)[/Quote] LOL!! ok Chloe, can't counter that one(Frank defies logic)..only Mom and Dad are going Sunday..i gave away my ticket for Sat's game(stuff to do)..

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bwhallett. Show bwhallett's posts

OK OK, I think its fair to say that the best thing to do is to wear team colors to a sporting event (ie a blue Sox hat) to give the visiting team the impression of a legion of home team support.  "Amigos are everywhere!"  We see this in college sports where it is all but mandatory (Texas A+M anyone???).
    That said, Fenway is a place to watch a baseball game, so watch the game and be respectful of those around you!  People will wear whatever they want to wear, and you don't know anything about them, so unless they are rude to you, shut up and watch the game you paid to see.
    It's great to see people flashing a different color hat out on the town (not in Fenway), as it shows support for a team in any situation.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

[Quote]A real fan would welcome more fans for their team. A threatened elitist would find ways to exclude or demean them.[/Quote]

I was born and bread in Boston but I now live near Washington D.C. so I see most of my Sox games at Camden Yards.

For the last couple of years the O's players have been complaining about all the red shirts at Sox O's games and the lack of orange ones.

This year they have started a new program.  They have been encouraging the O's fans to wear orange, they even have orange t-shirt give away games.

Guess what, it's working.  I see more and more orange shirts.

One gal said the Sox like the fact that there are fans at all the parks they go to.  That's great, but please don't insult the players by wearing pink.

Sox fans are many at Camden Yards but the O's fans outshine them.  Why, because you know which team they are cheering for because they have orange t-shirts.  So Sox fans should wear red tees and a blue hat to support their team with THE TEAM COLORS.
    Not a hard concept to grasp.

So Sox "fans" while most other teams are wearing teams colors to support their teams you are wearing pink to support?  One gal said she wore her pink hat to match her outfit. PLEEEEEEEEEESE give me a break.

What's the point of having team colors?  I know, why don't we have the Sox wear pink hats, that would solve everything.

If the O's like to see their team colors in the stands it stands to reason so would the Sox.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

[Quote]edit sorry about the "bud"..force of habit..[/Quote]

Hey Jete

My dad used to call me Duke or Dukey so you can call me bud.

Just don't call me a Yanks fan :)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

[Quote]I am an 18 year old girl.  Ever since I was little my dad raised to be a huge sports fan.  I honestly can not stand any sports attire in pink or girly colors.  The only sports attire I own are from the boys or mens section and are actually the team's colors.  Most of the time when a girl is wearing a pink hat or a pink jersey... they have no idea what is going on in the game.  They are only there because their boyfriends or husbands got tickets or they go to get drunk.  If you went to the rolling rally for the Celtics, most of the girls there had no idea who was on the starting line-up for the Celtics.  So I agree... anyone who wears a pink hat or jersey is a newcomer and a bandwagon fan! And as for the green Sox hats... it's for St. Patty's day and every once and a while the team will wear green jerseys!  My opinion on this is simple.. if you are going to a game whether it's a Celtics, Bruins, Red Sox, or Pats... don't wear pink, know the players and their positions and also know what is going on in the game![/Quote]

Great post.

I'm a lot older than you but our stories are the same.  My dad took me to the park when I was a kid, great memories.  He would by a program and a little yellow pencil at the park.  He then taught me how to keep score, K for strike oute, BB for walks etc.  Doing that helped me to learn the game, the players names and to really follow the game. 

Thank your dad for raising you to be a true fan.  You are right, know the players, know what's going on and wear team colors.