1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bert0529. Show Bert0529's posts

Your thoughts on pink hats

[Quote]I was born and bread in Boston but I now live near Washington D.C. so I see most of my Sox games at Camden Yards.

For the last couple of years the O's players have been complaining about all the red shirts at Sox O's games and the lack of orange ones.

This year they have started a new program.  They have been encouraging the O's fans to wear orange, they even have orange t-shirt give away games.

Guess what, it's working.  I see more and more orange shirts.

One gal said the Sox like the fact that there are fans at all the parks they go to.  That's great, but please don't insult the players by wearing pink.

Sox fans are many at Camden Yards but the O's fans outshine them.  Why, because you know which team they are cheering for because they have orange t-shirts.  So Sox fans should wear red tees and a blue hat to support their team with THE TEAM COLORS.
    Not a hard concept to grasp.

So Sox "fans" while most other teams are wearing teams colors to support their teams you are wearing pink to support?  One gal said she wore her pink hat to match her outfit. PLEEEEEEEEEESE give me a break.

What's the point of having team colors?  I know, why don't we have the Sox wear pink hats, that would solve everything.

If the O's like to see their team colors in the stands it stands to reason so would the Sox.[/Quote]

You're kidding right? The Sox are underrepresented? That idea and $4.95 will get you a grande mocha latte.

You believe in one way of being a fan. That's great. You're certainly entitled to it, but it doesn't make it the right way or the only way. If you don't like pink hats, don't wear them, but don't pretend for a second that you're a better fan because of it. And what is this goofy notion that pink hats insult the players? Are you telling me I can't find a player's daughter or wife/girlfriend with a pink hat? It's just a form of elitism this concept of a "real fan." Once you root for the team, you're a real fan. It's not some exclusive club that you have the key to.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

[Quote]You're kidding right? The Sox are underrepresented? That idea and $4.95 will get you a grande mocha latte.

You believe in one way of being a fan. That's great. You're certainly entitled to it, but it doesn't make it the right way or the only way. If you don't like pink hats, don't wear them, but don't pretend for a second that you're a better fan because of it. And what is this goofy notion that pink hats insult the players? Are you telling me I can't find a player's daughter or wife/girlfriend with a pink hat? It's just a form of elitism this concept of a "real fan." Once you root for the team, you're a real fan. It's not some exclusive club that you have the key to.[/Quote]

Where in my post did I say the Sox were "underrepresented"?  Read it again.  I said there are many Sox fans at Camden Yards but the O's fans outshine them because they wear orange.  The team colors.  What a wild and crazy idea!!!

What's the point of having team colors?There is one park, I think it's the Cards, (I may be wrong) that is filled with red shirts.  That makes a big impression, team support, not what hat goes best with my outfit or I like pink better than blue.

So for all the pink hatters out there if you really want to support your team wear team colors not what you find to be 'Pretty'.

I guess if a fan just wants to match her outfit, look pretty or just likes pink over blue they have that right.  But it really does prove my point.

REAL FANS DON'T WEAR PINK!!!!!!!!!!

Nuf said

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bert0529. Show Bert0529's posts

[Quote]Where in my post did I say the Sox were "underrepresented"?  Read it again.  I said there are many Sox fans at Camden Yards but the O's fans outshine them because they wear orange.  The team colors.  What a wild and crazy idea!!!

What's the point of having team colors?There is one park, I think it's the Cards, (I may be wrong) that is filled with red shirts.  That makes a big impression, team support, not what hat goes best with my outfit or I like pink better than blue.

So for all the pink hatters out there if you really want to support your team wear team colors not what you find to be 'Pretty'.

I guess if a fan just wants to match her outfit, look pretty or just likes pink over blue they have that right.  But it really does prove my point.

REAL FANS DON'T WEAR PINK!!!!!!!!!!

Nuf said[/Quote]

Real fans wear whatever color they want to. You have no say in the matter.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from VJR123. Show VJR123's posts

calm down people.......a hot a$$ chick-a-dee with a pink rs hat.....there are worse things in life.

i be worked up if there was a dude in pink rs hat....not a hot a$$ lady.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PaulTopo. Show PaulTopo's posts

All teams sell pink hats for girls and women who like pink. It isn't just a Red Sox thing, it's a money making thing. My wife who has been a Red Sox fan for 20 years wears a pink hat. My 7 year old daughter wears a pink hat because the Red Sox are her favorite team and pink is her favorite color. That doesn't make them any less of a fan than me and my son who wear authentic hats.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from aayotte. Show aayotte's posts

I think my problem with the pink hat is that it's not baseball.  The Red Sox with all of its history should not be regarded as a way to express your fashion preferences.  The team colors do not include pink.  Red, White and Blue.  As far as the green, the team sanctions the green color scheme as a nod to the Irish heritage of Boston.  If you truly love the Sox, you would wear the blue or red cap with pride.  The Sox aren't "cute", they are baseball.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

[Quote]I think my problem with the pink hat is that it's not baseball.  The Red Sox with all of its history should not be regarded as a way to express your fashion preferences.  The team colors do not include pink.  Red, White and Blue.  As far as the green, the team sanctions the green color scheme as a nod to the Irish heritage of Boston.  If you truly love the Sox, you would wear the blue or red cap with pride.  The Sox aren't "cute", they are baseball.[/Quote]

Well said!

I have no problem with bandwagon fans (yes, there are bandwagon fans in NE).  If they want to wear pink to look pretty or to match their outfit have at it.  I see lots of kids in their twenties at Camden Yards (I was born in Boston but live in the D.C. area) having the time of their lives.  Good for them, they are young and should be having fun.  Some day they may become real fans but right now they are just having fun, again I have no problem with that.

However, real fans of the game wear the colors.  Team colors are important, the colors of the American Flag are important.  The flag is sometimes referred to as 'the colors'.  These things are deeply ingrained in our society.

Fans of the game understand this.

When I was a kid my dad would bring me to Fenway to teach me about the game.  He would buy a program with a score card to teach me what was going on and who was playing.  It's a great way to become engaged in the game and to learn about your team.

No one cared if their hat matched their outfit or if it attracted guys.

I think your's is one of the best posts on this thread.  Thank you.

"The Sox aren't "cute", they are baseball."

Wear your team colors and wear them proudly!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bert0529. Show Bert0529's posts

[Quote]Well said!

Some day they may become real fans but right now they are just having fun, again I have no problem with that.[/Quote]

Ya, some day when they see things the way you do, right? Ha! What a bunch of BS. I'm a real fan today if I wear my authentic cap, but if I go to the game after work and I have on a grey suit I'm not a real fan that day. What a load of crap this concept is. Fanhood is based on what you believe and how you feel, not on what you wear.

[Quote]However, real fans of the game wear the colors.  Team colors are important, the colors of the American Flag are important.  The flag is sometimes referred to as 'the colors'.  These things are deeply ingrained in our society.
    [/Quote]

What?!?!? Cue the music! Ha! What a bunch of hogwash. Allegience to one's country has nothing to do with and is not analagous to being a fan of a team. This is just grossly misunderstanding this whole issue.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_1663367. Show user_1663367's posts

Pink hats are derided because women (or most often, girls) wear them.  The derision is not directed toward the "hats," but at gender.
         For example, when I am overseas, I am often sickened by the blue NY hats many guys (and some gals) adorn.  Most often the NY logo does not signify a true Yankee Fan, it is worn simply as a status symbol representing the US ("New York").   It's cool.  And when I engage in conversation, they often know very little about the Yankees or baseball in general.  I might mention that in the last few years, I am now seeing more and more blue "Boston" hats in other countries.
        So, let's hate the hats (blue and pink), but not the people who wear them!  

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

[Quote]What?!?!? Cue the music! Ha! What a bunch of hogwash. Allegience to one's country has nothing to do with and is not analagous to being a fan of a team. This is just grossly misunderstanding this whole issue.[/Quote]

Yikes!!!

Calm down, put your feet up and relax.  The Sox will be on soon so just take it easy until the game starts.

If you don't get it, you don't get it.  Sorry

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jamroz. Show jamroz's posts

My wife has a pink Championship from 2004. She has suffered with me for 20 years of marriage and for that she has earned the right to wear the hat. Besides she looks cute in it. I don't think that she really became a fan herself until Aaron Boone ended 2003 for the sox. Like I didn't become a real fan until I sat on the couch with my brother and watched the infamous one game playoff in 1978.

I think the pain of being a sox fan is what really seals it. Not the winning. That is the easy part.

There are always fair weather fans. Last fall I had to respect the Yankee fans still wearing their hats after they had lost to the Indians--I know that there would've been more people wearing their hats had they won.

It is not the color of the heart that determines how avid the fan is.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from oldfrats. Show oldfrats's posts

Only in Boston, where everything old and tired is worshipped,
    do people give a hoot about what color baseball hat someone
    else is wearing.  "I'm a true fan."  What kind of lame-*ss
    tries to make points on how hard or how long he has been
    a specatator.  If you hate people because of the color of their
    hat, you are a true loser.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

[Quote]Pink hats are derided because women (or most often, girls) wear them.  The derision is not directed toward the "hats," but at gender.
         For example, when I am overseas, I am often sickened by the blue NY hats many guys (and some gals) adorn.  Most often the NY logo does not signify a true Yankee Fan, it is worn simply as a status symbol representing the US ("New York").   It's cool.  And when I engage in conversation, they often know very little about the Yankees or baseball in general.  I might mention that in the last few years, I am now seeing more and more blue "Boston" hats in other countries.
        So, let's hate the hats (blue and pink), but not the people who wear them!  [/Quote]

I don't hate people who wear them, most of them are kids and just don't get it.  I say let them have fun, but the whole "I look pretty oh so pretty in my pink hat" is just plain silly and self absorbed.  To show team support wear the colors.  If it's all about you then wear  whatever color bring out the golden flexs in your eyes but don't pretend it's all about the game when it's all about you.  When I say you I mean the pink haters, not you yaz.  Unles your a pink hater:)!!!

By the way, I know for a fact that there is an authentic blue wool Boston Red Sox cap in outer Mongolia!  My son dates a girl from there.  We took them to see a Sox game at Camden so he bought a hat for her and one to send home.

Since I raised my son right he bought blue hats and I wasn't even with him at the time lol!!!!!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

[Quote]Pink hats are derided because women (or most often, girls) wear them.  The derision is not directed toward the "hats," but at gender.
        So, let's hate the hats (blue and pink), but not the people who wear them!  [/Quote]

Yaz

The next time you are in outer Mongolia look for it, who knows there may be more than one!!!

Her family knows nothing about the Sox so don't ask them any questions lol!!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bert0529. Show Bert0529's posts

[Quote]I don't hate people who wear them, most of them are kids and just don't get it.  I say let them have fun, but the whole "I look pretty oh so pretty in my pink hat" is just plain silly and self absorbed.  [/Quote]

You don't hate the people who wear, you just won't let them into your club. Where have I heard that sentiment before?

Self absorbed??? Self absorbed is elevating yourself to a superior level of fanhood ("real fan") and refusing admittance to others based on apparel. Self absorbed is believing that the was you choose to be a fan is the only right way and that people who do not go about it your way are of lesser value.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

[Quote]You don't hate the people who wear, you just won't let them into your club. Where have I heard that sentiment before?

Self absorbed??? Self absorbed is elevating yourself to a superior level of fanhood ("real fan") and refusing admittance to others based on apparel. Self absorbed is believing that the was you choose to be a fan is the only right way and that people who do not go about it your way are of lesser value.[/Quote]

Please ell me how you really feel.

REAL FANS DON'T WEAR PINK!!!!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from dangerous22. Show dangerous22's posts

For me, pink hats is a figure of speech to describe fans who jumped on the bandwagon and only go to games because it is the trendy thing to do. It doesn't literally mean every fan who wears a pink hat.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from shinman7. Show shinman7's posts

I dont understand the baby pink sports apparel (unless it is for a cause). is it so hard and demeaning to wear your teams colors. A true sox fan can proudly wear Red and Blue. baby pink is no fassion it is an embarassment to calling yourself a fan.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

[Quote]I dont understand the baby pink sports apparel (unless it is for a cause). is it so hard and demeaning to wear your teams colors. A true sox fan can proudly wear Red and Blue. baby pink is no fassion it is an embarassment to calling yourself a fan.[/Quote]

Agreed!

What is wrong with our team colors, they have been around for a very long time.

Why is this new crop of fans trying to change the very old and wonderful tradition of wearing team colors?

I'm proud to wear them, baby pink should be worn by baby girls not real adult fans!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_1663367. Show user_1663367's posts

[Quote]For me, pink hats is a figure of speech to describe fans who jumped on the bandwagon and only go to games because it is the trendy thing to do. It doesn't literally mean every fan who wears a pink hat.[/Quote]

Dangerous,
    That's a great point (and I, too, hate bandwagon fans--as I have been a Sox fan for 40 years).  But in many cases, the "pink" really does refer to girls/women.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Maxathon. Show Maxathon's posts

[Quote]I hate pink hats.  Where were they in 2000 when the team wasn't good?  I can't wait until the Sox start losing so the pink hats go away.[/Quote]

Give me a break. Keep your priorities straight.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from victorialeigh3. Show victorialeigh3's posts

I have been a sox fan since I was a little girl.  I have gone to many games ans watch almost all on TV with my husband.  One day I walked into the sports shop Twins at fenway park and saw a whole new line of caps.  I purchased a pink one, green one and 2 red and blue ones.  I wear all of them and until recently had no clue I was not supposed to wear the pink - my husband finally told me because he did not want me to be looked at like a fair weather fan or just a girl buying a cute hat .

As a woman I have the right to wear pink.... and I love my sports. WHY would it matter if my hat were pink or blue?  My old blue hat was beat and I simply needed a new one.... I love my Sox and simply cannot fathom why this would bother anyone.  In the end I threw the hat out to save face and not embarass my hubby. 

Isnt there more to worry about than this?  And for all the bandwagon hoppers - hop on!  Our Red Sox are big enough for all of us to root for. Strength in numbers!  Enough of the suffering crap already.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from victorialeigh3. Show victorialeigh3's posts

and another note... the pink hates showed up recently because girls were showing more interest in the game and they only RECENTLY in the past ten years or so started selling them! 

They werent seen when we were all suffering through the bad years because they were NOT SOLD!!

duh

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

[Quote]You guys know that the Red Sox never wear the name/number t-shirts that every other fan in the stands is wearing, right?  Just because these people aren't wearing authentic jerseys, are they bandwagoners?  Do they automatically get second class citizenship at Fenway? 

When I stop hearing men at Fenway call girls "ugly" or "fat" during the game, then you can tell me that women shouldn't think about fashion when they head out to the park.[/Quote]

I have been to lots of Sox games and I never heard anyone called ugly or fat.

Be proud of the Sox colors.  What is so awful about wearing a blue or red cap?

Girls in this thread have said they like pink because it makes them look pretty or that it goes with their outfit. Please.

The Red Sox are one of the first teams in baseball, they have a long and sometimes troubled history but they are a team to be proud of.  Be proud of your team, show support and wear the colors.

The hat issue isn't about being authentic as you seem to suggest by bringing up the shirts.  It's about respecting the game   showing support and pride in your team and its colors.

If wearing pink is all about fashion and looks then pink hatters have a lot to learn about what it means to be a true fan.

Real Fans Don't Wear Pink!!!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

[Quote]and another note... the pink hates showed up recently because girls were showing more interest in the game and they only RECENTLY in the past ten years or so started selling them! 

They werent seen when we were all suffering through the bad years because they were NOT SOLD!!

duh[/Quote]

You think girls showing interest in the game is a recent thing?

Your funny, girls have been going to games for a long time.

Perhaps you should take your pink hat off and learn more about the Sox and their history.