1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Beantowne. Show Beantowne's posts

Your thoughts on pink hats

Morning Jete,
    What happened to the dem Yanks thread?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

[Quote]Morning Jete,
    What happened to the dem Yanks thread?[/Quote]hey beans, long time no see..how are you..in the infinite wisdom BDC decided to makes changes and Dem yanks was a casualty..but it's been resurrected thanks to Zac, come on over to Sawxheads.com most the regs have jumped ship we all hate the changes in this board..we'd love to have you there too...the thread is Dem Yanks Lives..

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bert0529. Show Bert0529's posts

[Quote]OMG have you people totally taken the term 'pink hats' out of context! Holy Cripes!!!

The term 'pink hat' HAS NOTHING AT ALL TO DO WITH WEARING A PINK HAT!!!

The term 'Pink Hats' was used by longtime Red Sox fans to define bandwagon  joiners who decided to become Red Sox fans when they won a championsip. THATS IT!

To all the females who wear pink hats, as a feminine fashion statement, and are long time Sox fans, my sincerest apologies, for the pink hats trying to use the term literally.

In my opinion those message board responders here, who have criticized the lovely women wearing these pink hats, are the REAL bandwagon supporters that longtime Sox fans are trying to reference!

So ladies PLEASE keep wearing your pink hats at Fenway and on the road - you look great and deserve better treatment than this.[/Quote]

Actually, you're wrong. If you read the article referenced in the original post, it is about both the phenomenon of the Red Sox growing fan base AND about the piece of apparel itself. It doesn't matter though. Fans from either camp - those actually wearing pink hats or those becoming fans after 2004 - should be welcomed and embraced equally.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

[Quote]Hey Soxdog, what up?..wow this one's still going?...crazy w/e for Yanks and Sox..so you ready for another get together..given the kind of games they play i guess it's only right that the Yanks and Sox play each other on July 4th..LOL!![/Quote]

Hey Jete

Thanks for stopping by every so often.  It's great to hear from you! This new forum isn't as good as the old one.  I'll checked out Sawxheads.  It will be great to meet up with the old cast of characters lol !!!!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

[Quote]Hey Jete

Thanks for stopping by every so often.  It's great to hear from you! This new forum isn't as good as the old one.  I'll checked out Sawxheads.  It will be great to meet up with the old cast of characters lol !!!![/Quote] hey 67, how are you?..i hope you'll come on by, it'll be great to have you there..

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

Jete, my friend, how ya been?? Not much up here other than sitting through I tough weekend where our bullpen could not get the job done in Houston -- Saturday's game being more disturbing blowing a 9-6 lead late in the game!

Unfortunately the Sox have to focus on trying to beat the Rays in TB first before we can look ahead to fireworks in NY over the weekend. I'll tell you these 10 game road trips (our 3rd) can be killers especially facing 2 key division rivals. TB who'd of thunk it??

Anyways, back on topic -- and a response to Bert0529:
    Can you believe that there are people out there who actually 'care' that some fans wear pink hats to a Sox game, or Yanks game for that matter??  I've seen some chickies at the stadium wearing the pink NY as well

Since I've never seen a guy wear one I think we should all just look at it as women showing their feminine side (as they should!)

But I still believe and have been in many conversations where the 'new' Red Sox fan has been identified as a pink hat, for lack of a better term.

My understanding of the definition of a Pink-hat fan (excluding those becoming old enough to start watching):
    Red Sox fan who did not experience the heartbreaks that most longtime Sox fans encountered during the 86 year drought -- like in 41 (I wasn't around for this one) , 67 (Impossible Dream year - so not really heartbreaking - birth of RS Nation as it is known today???), 75 (we needed Jim Ed and no Eephous pitch from Spaceman), 78 (Bucky F'n Dent), 86 (It wasn't Buckner's fault) and '03 (Grady F'n Little).

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bert0529. Show Bert0529's posts

[Quote]
    Anyways, back on topic -- and a response to Bert0529:
    Can you believe that there are people out there who actually 'care' that some fans wear pink hats to a Sox game, or Yanks game for that matter??  I've seen some chickies at the stadium wearing the pink NY as well

Since I've never seen a guy wear one I think we should all just look at it as women showing their feminine side (as they should!)

But I still believe and have been in many conversations where the 'new' Red Sox fan has been identified as a pink hat, for lack of a better term.

My understanding of the definition of a Pink-hat fan (excluding those becoming old enough to start watching):
    Red Sox fan who did not experience the heartbreaks that most longtime Sox fans encountered during the 86 year drought -- like in 41 (I wasn't around for this one) , 67 (Impossible Dream year - so not really heartbreaking - birth of RS Nation as it is known today???), 75 (we needed Jim Ed and no Eephous pitch from Spaceman), 78 (Bucky F'n Dent), 86 (It wasn't Buckner's fault) and '03 (Grady F'n Little).[/Quote]

I share your understanding of the definition of a pink hat fan, but that term and its connotations came around as a result of the popularity of the actual piece of clothing. Unfortunately, some have chosen to take a dim view of the post-2003/4 converts and have begun to exhibit those negative views by giving people who actually wear pink hats a hard time. I think it's unfortunate because the sense of elitism speaks poorly of Red Sox fans. I believe that as a fan I should root for my team and be an ambassador for others who want to do the same. Being motivated to do the opposite and actually alienate fans becasue of their choice of apparell runs contrary to fanhood. It's also a grammar school behavior. To not like pink hats (the clothing) is one thing. If you don't like them, don't wear one. But to declare that somebody in a pink hat is not a real fan is absurd and sad.

To answer your original question, no, I can't believe it. You would think that they would just be happy to see more Red Sox fans. I know I am. It's a sign of the team's success. That's what we're supposed to root for.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Soxdog67. Show Soxdog67's posts

[Quote]To answer your original question, no, I can't believe it. You would think that they would just be happy to see more Red Sox fans. I know I am. It's a sign of the team's success. That's what we're supposed to root for.[/Quote

Bert you said it all right there!!

But one more thing about why older Sox fans use the term pink hats -- that is because some of these new fans did not go through the hard years and have only expectations of success year in and year out - while a fan like me REALLY appreciates the fact we were able to scale the hurdle and win two championships in 4 years! My feeling remains that it was a privilege to witness these happy events, not a right!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxielady. Show soxielady's posts

Personally I hate pink Red Sox anything.  I don't think people who wear pink are necessarily fair weather fans.  I think they are women who think they need to wear pink to be feminine.  Why can't I be feminine without wearing pink?  I also don't like green, camo, or any of the colors other than blue and red.  If you buy Red Sox clothing or accessories to support your favorite team, why wouldn't you buy them with the team colors?  I have several Red Sox hats and sweatshirts -- all of them blue or red.  I wear my favorite team's colors proudly.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bert0529. Show Bert0529's posts

[Quote][Quote]To answer your original question, no, I can't believe it. You would think that they would just be happy to see more Red Sox fans. I know I am. It's a sign of the team's success. That's what we're supposed to root for.[/Quote

But one more thing about why older Sox fans use the term pink hats -- that is because some of these new fans did not go through the hard years and have only expectations of success year in and year out - while a fan like me REALLY appreciates the fact we were able to scale the hurdle and win two championships in 4 years! My feeling remains that it was a privilege to witness these happy events, not a right![/Quote]

I agree that there's substance to the idea of having had your heart broken before the wins that adds to their power. I only converted when I moved to Boston in fall of 1990 (there was no bandwagon then). The process took a couple years to move from a casual interest to a more serious one and not until I moved home to NJ in 1997 and found myself surrounded by Yankee fans did I really turn religious. When the Sox won in 2004, along with the elation of the victory, I felt grateful to have gone through 2003. The day after Aaron Boone's HR I had to walk alone into the Yankee world I live in down here. Brutal.

That being said, newbies will get their hearts broken at some point. We can't hold it against them that it hasn't happened yet. Championships and success are supposed to draw fans. :)

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

[Quote]

Personally I hate pink Red Sox anything.  I don't think people who wear pink are necessarily fair weather fans.  I think they are women who think they need to wear pink to be feminine.  Why can't I be feminine without wearing pink?  I also don't like green, camo, or any of the colors other than blue and red.  If you buy Red Sox clothing or accessories to support your favorite team, why wouldn't you buy them with the team colors?  I have several Red Sox hats and sweatshirts -- all of them blue or red.  I wear my favorite team's colors proudly[/Quote]

Great post, I couldn't agree more.

I was born in Boston but live in the D.C. area now.  When I see a blue hat with a red B it makes me smile and think of home.

Any one can wear pink and fans from other teams do. Only one group of fans can proudly wear the blue cap with the Red B, the colors of the World Champion Boston Red Sox.

Wear the team colors and wear them with pride.

There is no crying in baseball and there is no pink in baseball lol!!!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bert0529. Show Bert0529's posts

[Quote]

Personally I hate pink Red Sox anything.  I don't think people who wear pink are necessarily fair weather fans.  [/Quote]

If only everybody could be so level headed about it.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

[Quote][Quote]To answer your original question, no, I can't believe it. You would think that they would just be happy to see more Red Sox fans. I know I am. It's a sign of the team's success. That's what we're supposed to root for.[/Quote

But one more thing about why older Sox fans use the term pink hats -- that is because some of these new fans did not go through the hard years and have only expectations of success year in and year out - while a fan like me REALLY appreciates the fact we were able to scale the hurdle and win two championships in 4 years! My feeling remains that it was a privilege to witness these happy events, not a right![/Quote]

I thinks it's great that the new fans didn't have to suffer.  My sons and nephew are new fans and I LOVE that they don't have to suffer.

The pink hat thing isn't about that.  Read some of these posts.  Girls wear them to match their outfits or it makes them look pretty.
    Many maen have siad it makes them look sexy. OH please, have we come to this.  How sexist can you get.

New fans are always welcome.  They need to realize however that being a sox fan has nothing to do with "I look pretty in pink"

Please, everyone, put down your cell phones and stop waving to the cameras.  Actually pay attention to the game and learn what's going on.  If you are the new generation of sox fans please have the same knowledge and respect for the great traditions of the sox and fenway that past generations have had. 

Have fun but understand that you have inherited something rich in history and tradition.

Wear the team colors and wear them with pride.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 13lucky. Show 13lucky's posts

67redsox ... give it up. You aren't going to win. I'm a guy so I wouldn't wear pink to begin with. But I have no problem with any color a fan wears as long as it has the "B" on the front, like a lot of people are saying. You can't project your opinion on others whether you like it or not.
    I would bet that if you owned a company that made the caps you would love to see the money rolling in on sales of pink hats.
    Any time a team in any sport becomes successful it becomes very popular. That's just the way it is. I don't think the Toronto Blue Jays are selling out every game in recent years. But they sure did when they were winning championships.
    I'll take a winning team with pink-hat-wearing fans ANY day over a team that stinks.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bert0529. Show Bert0529's posts

[Quote]
    New fans are always welcome.  They need to realize however that being a sox fan has nothing to do with "I look pretty in pink"

[/Quote]

This is true. In fact, being a Red Sox fan has nothing to do with how you dress at all. Being a Red Sox fan happens in your heart, not on your clothes. 

67redsox doesn't get it. She believes it is her responsibility to teach Red Sox fans how to behave and how to dress. Further, she belives that people who do not root for the Red Sox the way she does are not entitled to be called Red Sox fans. She has an imaginary club called "real fans" which has different membership rules than just rooting for the Red Sox. One of the perks of the club is you get to alienate those not dressed to your standards. Fun stuff...

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from berryjooks. Show berryjooks's posts

[Quote]It's all about tradition. If the players wear it or wore it, IN A GAME, then it's part of the uniform and you are showing your team colors as a supporter by wearing it. I have yet to see a player wearing a pink hat or a camo hat or a blacked out hat in a game. The  sox wore green uniforms twice and not to celebrate the Irish heritage of Boston like some dope said earlier. They wore green to commemorate Red Auerbach when he died in 07 and they wore it last week. I think they wore green caps in 07 and their regular caps this year.[/Quote]

Sorry boodah, but they wear green hats EVERY year during spring training, to commemorate St. Pats day. Starting in 2004 they added green jerseys to go with the hats.

Watch many games?

2004 MLB news release:  http://redsox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20040315&content_id=650779&vkey=spt2004news&fext=.jsp&c_id=spt2004news

On the other crazy comments on this page:

Blaming the cost of tickets, etc. on band wagon yuppies is absurd. While it's true that "regular" people have been priced out of most profesional sports, it's due to ridiculous player salaries, infrastructure upgrades. All those pink hat wearing band wagoneers are actually bringing money into the team coffers and helping to keep the price down for you and I.

I'm a long time fan. I was amazed by the play of the Splendid Splinter himself my first time at the pahk, and have been hooked ever since. I love to see new converts, be they young or old, at their first game. It's all in how you look at it, my friends.

It doesn't matter what you wear, or how long you've been a Sox fan, just as long as you are one.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

[Quote]Sorry boodah, but they wear green hats EVERY year during spring training, to commemorate St. Pats day. Starting in 2004 they added green jerseys to go with the hats.

Watch many games?

2004 MLB news release:  http://redsox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20040315&content_id=650779&vkey=spt2004news&fext=.jsp&c_id=spt2004news

Blaming the cost of tickets, etc. on band wagon yuppies is absurd. While it's true that "regular" people have been priced out of most profesional sports, it's due to ridiculous player salaries, infrastructure upgrades. All those pink hat wearing band wagoneers are actually bringing money into the team coffers and helping to keep the price down for you and I.

I'm a long time fan. I was amazed by the play of the Splendid Splinter himself my first time at the pahk, and have been hooked ever since. I love to see new converts, be they young or old, at their first game. It's all in how you look at it, my friends.

It doesn't matter what you wear, or how long you've been a Sox fan, just as long as you are one.[/Quote]

boodah may have meant during regular season games.

The point is in all this wear the colors and be proud of them instead of trying to look pretty or sexy.  Read some of the posts.  These girls want to match their outfits or attrack men.  Guys on this post like the hats because they are sexy.

Please, give me a break.  What a sexist comment.  The girls brought in on themselves because that was their goal.

Where is baseball in all this.

Where team colors and wear them with pride.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

[Quote]Sorry boodah, but they wear green hats EVERY year during spring training, to commemorate St. Pats day. Starting in 2004 they added green jerseys to go with the hats.

Watch many games?

It doesn't matter what you wear, or how long you've been a Sox fan, just as long as you are one.[/Quote]

I go to games at camden yards because I live outside D.C.  I can get a ticket to see the sox, yanks, and anyother team I want. Regular people can get into that park. 

By the way, the O's players complained about seeing so many red shirts and not many orange.  They have started a new program this year to encourage orange shirts at the park.  It's working.  Even though there are many sox fans at the game the O's fans stand out more because they wear their teams colors.  Novel idea.  So if players notice these things I say sox fans should wear red shirts and blue hats with the red B proudly.  We are the only ones who can.

I have no doubt if the pink hatters didn't take the seats they would be filled every game by other fans, no doubt at all.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrJess. Show DrJess's posts

I'm a female Red Sox fan. I grew up a Red Sox fan. I've been going to games since I was nine or ten years old. My dad and I lived through the heartbreak of '86 (I was still a kid then) and then the joy of '04. Yes, I have a pink hat. I have a traditional hat that my Dad gave me and several other hats in different colors and styles. And if you think I'm a bandwagon hopper, I remember Boggs and Rice and the Rocket and Jimy and Grady and Calvin Schiraldi, and I know what WHIP and OBP stand for, and I can understand a balk and the infield fly rule, probably better than my husband, thank you very much! And if you see me in my pink hat at a ball game, maybe you'll also notice that I'm filling out my scorecard. Go Sox!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bert0529. Show Bert0529's posts

[Quote]I go to games at camden yards because I live outside D.C.  I can get a ticket to see the sox, yanks, and anyother team I want. Regular people can get into that park. 

By the way, the O's players complained about seeing so many red shirts and not many orange.  They have started a new program this year to encourage orange shirts at the park.  It's working.  Even though there are many sox fans at the game the O's fans stand out more because they wear their teams colors.  Novel idea.  So if players notice these things I say sox fans should wear red shirts and blue hats with the red B proudly.  We are the only ones who can.

I have no doubt if the pink hatters didn't take the seats they would be filled every game by other fans, no doubt at all.[/Quote]

You're talking about an AL East rival park encouraging matching shirts because the Red Sox fans' presence was too strong. Nobody ever said "red shirts." You made that up. It's Red Sox fans in general that was the problem in Baltimore (and other places). That problem does not exist at Fenway Park. You have no point.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bert0529. Show Bert0529's posts

[Quote] boodah may have meant during regular season games.

The point is in all this wear the colors and be proud of them instead of trying to look pretty or sexy.  Read some of the posts.  These girls want to match their outfits or attrack men.  Guys on this post like the hats because they are sexy.

Please, give me a break.  What a sexist comment.  The girls brought in on themselves because that was their goal.

Where is baseball in all this.

Where team colors and wear them with pride.[/Quote]

Other people are having fun and rooting for the Red Sox in a way you don't like and you're responding by accusing them of sexism for the men, and charater flaws for the women. You don't see that as irrational?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from kmjellen. Show kmjellen's posts

Who cares what people wear?  For me the pink hats are tasteless as sin  (very big-hair-too-much-makeup, suburban-looking) but if people think they're pretty then  so they are.  I like my classic-blue Red Sox cap for myself.  And I agree with whoever said that that terrible green is just as ghastly as the pink.  But ..  as long as people are enjoying baseball, all is well in the world.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from SG173. Show SG173's posts

[Quote]How silly.

So my 10 year old niece who loves all things Boston sports and plays several can't wear a pink Sox hat?

And didn't the camo hat start with Timlin and Millar?

I have been a fan of the Boston Pro Sports teams since I could crawl...back in 1959.  I loved the Pats in the 1960s and 1970s.  I remember were I was sitting when Bobby Orr flew across the goal mouth in ST Louis.  I remember watching Dave Cowens stuff Kareem.  And I remember cryin when the Cards beat us in 67 and El Tiante' stealing a base in 1975.  My Virginia license plates say YAZ&ORR.  I have seen fans come and go. So what.  I didn't realize you had to take a loyalty test to be a member of Red Sox Nation.

And the guy who won't let his daughters wear pink hats?  What a jerk.

This is all about marketing and making money.  People should embrace the newcomers in all their garb and not get bent out of shape over how a fan chooses to show their loyalty.

If you are hung up on pink Sox hats, you seriously need to get out more. [/Quote]

"That" guy is me...and they CHOSE not to wear them. Ask the reporter about the anecdote I told her. My oldest wanted to wear the hat that daddy does. w00t!

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bert0529. Show Bert0529's posts

[Quote]"That" guy is me...and they CHOSE not to wear them. Ask the reporter about the anecdote I told her. My oldest wanted to wear the hat that daddy does. w00t![/Quote]

Is this statement untrue then:

Martelli has banned pink hats and any other untraditional Red Sox garb from his own home, much to the dismay of his two young daughters, who love anything pink.

Or are you a different guy?

(just trying to figure it out)

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from 67redsox. Show 67redsox's posts

[Quote]even as a girl i am not a fan of the pink hats...they're the red sox, not the pink sox. but that's just me[/Quote]

You hit the nail on the head. They are the RED sox, not the PINK sox.

Wear the team colors and be proud of them!