1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JRE. Show JRE's posts

Your thoughts on pink hats

[Quote]2004
    Highest Payroll to ever win a World Series[/Quote]

2001 - Present

Highest Payroll to ever not win a World Series

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42Giants. Show 42Giants's posts

[Quote]This is why I hate Boston sports fans. I moved  here from another state a few years ago and the intolerance and self-righteousness of  Boston fans is out of control. Sports should be fun. Rooting for your team should be fun. It should not be about who is the better or bigger fan. People who wear a pink hat or even a Yankees hat (I know -- horrors!) should be able to enjoy a game in Fenway Park without being harrassed. You people take yourselves way too seriuosly and you make Bostonians look bad. Show some good sportsmanship, lighten up and enjoy the sport.[/Quote]

As someone from NY, living in MA, I couldn't have said it better myself.  Fans should not judge other fans on their team affiliations.  When I am out running errands with my children, I do not need people yelling obscenities at us.  I will no longer take my children to Fenway because of the verbal abuse.
    Now, instead of just bad mouthing other teams fans, they are doing it to their own fans?

Lighen up and enjoy the game.  Know that everyone in New England is not a Red Sox fan and it doesn't make them any less of a person.  Know that if people are a Red Sox fan, just becuase they wear a different color hat, it doesn't make them any less of person. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ryssee. Show ryssee's posts

After 30 years of following the Sox I'll wear whatever color hat I want. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from DirtyWaterLover. Show DirtyWaterLover's posts

The term "Pink Hattter" has nothing to do with the color of the person's hat.  And anyone who doesn't know it is a "poseur".

The term Pink Hatter originally referred to people who go to church on the big holidays (Christmas and Easter).  The increased attendence would overflow the parking lot and make finding a place to sit very difficult.  People who would attend church every Sunday and would normally have an easy time finding a place to park and a place to sit had a much more difficult time doing so.

Some of the women who would go to church only on Easter would wear a pink hat.  As a result, they became known as "Pink Hatters".

The term was extended to people who would go to sporting events for the WS or NBA Championship, making it much more difficult (and expensive) for regular fans who supported the team through the season and during seasons when the team sucked.

It has been further extended to fans who started going to Baseball games since 2004, making tickets much harder to come by and much more expensive.  People who would go to 10 or 15 games in 2003 are lucky if they get to go to 2 or 3 games this season.

Anyone who calls someone a "Pink Hatter" because they are wearing a Pink Hat is the true Pink Hatter.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BChristenson. Show BChristenson's posts

I am a lifelong diehard Sox fan and agree with the comments about all the bandwagon jumpers since the '04 series.  I now live in Minnesota and used to love going to the games and be virtually the only one in the Metrodome on my feet cheering.  Now it is pathetic.  However I recently was blessed with a daughter and I immediately purchased her a pink Sox hat.  I dont see that as wrong.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from employee8. Show employee8's posts

This puts the dic in rediculous.  My wife has been a sox fan since her birth.  She has a pink SOX hat.  Who the f cares what color hat someone wears as long as it doesn't say NY.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from cappy68. Show cappy68's posts

Pink, Camouflage or any Red Sox hat other than Blue or Red is ridiculous. What's next yellow Patriots shirts ?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BigPapiOrtiz. Show BigPapiOrtiz's posts

The hate towards pink hats is really just disgust towards the new culture that has overtaken Fenway and its fan base.  Back in the early 90's the team was just awful and the park was usually half filled with people who had been following the team for years.  Fast forward to 2005 and suddenly everything's changed.  The team is great.  Ticket prices have skyrocketed.  The park is sold out every single night. The owners actually care about the team.  And with the team more popular than ever, there are a whole new segment of fans who show up at the game because it's the fashionable thing to do and could honestly care less about who's starting in center or what team their playing. 

Like Bill Simmons wrote in a recent article, for a very long time nothing in Boston ever changed and the people here liked it that way, even if it was miserable. Now everything's changed completely in Fenway Park.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from hot-tomato. Show hot-tomato's posts

[Quote]

We have enough hate from the rest of the country for New England sports, now were turning on our own fans for wearing pink hats?
    Isn't sports supposed to bring in new fans? I have no problem with the ladies wearing pink hats, and anyone that does has some real issues.

[/Quote]

Amen to that!

I find the attitude that there is a problem with pink hats kind of pathetic, actually. Like there isn't anything better to get riled up about? The article mentioned a guy who won't let his little girls wear pink hats. GET A GRIP, dude!

Think of it this way: do you think the Red Sox care whether you have been a fan since you were born or just joined the Nation last week? THEY DON'T CARE.

Really, from what I can see, it's just sexism. It's the same kind of attitude that makes guys disparage "women drivers." It's also the same lame discrimination against "newcomers" that makes Boston seem so provincial.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from lkelly1123. Show lkelly1123's posts

I've been a Sox fan my whole life.  I remember being maybe 3 or 4 and having my older brother sit for an hour with me to teach me how to say "yaaaazzzzssstremskkeeee".  My favorite players went from Jim Rice to Rich Gedman to Ellis Burke to Jason Veritek in his very first year.  My love for the Red Sox has never swayed, regardless of each season's outcome. 

Several years ago, I was at a Sox game and saw a handful of pink hats - this was probably 2001 or 2002.  I thought that they were a feminine way to support my favorite team, so I bought one and have had it ever since.

It's too bad that people create problems about the hats.  I think that it's about time that professional sports teams realized that there is a market out there for women that are sports fans.  I love the pink hats, the woman sized t-shirts and smaller waisted football shirts - they allow me to still be a girl while cheering for my favorite teams. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from sjddaj. Show sjddaj's posts

Great reply Boodah.  I was just going to write the same thing.  It is not a matter of "female fans".  We love to have all fans.   I have no problem with the red hats or green hats because the Sox have wore them in the past.  But no pink hats!!!!

If you are intersted in the fashion, then go to a mall or a fashion show.  But, with the Sox it is about baseball, not fashion.  My wife wanted a pink hat and I absolutely refused.  That is not the Sox colors.  I guess many of you would feel it is alright to wear the colorful Astro's jerseys too, as long as there was a "B" on it.

-The Sox sell plenty of "regular" merchandise.  They don't need to come up with more creative stuff (colors).

- I also understand the "true fan, suffering issue as well".    I am not saying that every "pink hatter" is not a true fan.   But, most are not.  

Being  a Sox fan should show pride as well as being an educated fan, as Sox fans are known to be.   Not having a fashion state of mind.

Many of us longtime Sox fans who have had to suffer in the past have a hard enough time convincing outsiders that we are "true fans" and not just fans becuase they have recently won.  Having pink hats around doesn't help the situation.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Micksoxx. Show Micksoxx's posts

This issue is off base in that men refer to other band wagon male fans as "pink hats."  I don't think most men really care about the women fans and what they where because men generally assume women are casual fans.  That's politically incorrect but it is what I believe most men think.

My issue is with the 20 something y.o. with the choker chain, intentionally frayed brim cap (green, camo, or trucker), and cargo shorts.  This idiots are generally a Red Sox fans because they won 2 WS and they get to chant "Ynakkess suck." I think they if the Sox hit a down streak they will move on to indoor lacrosee, arena football or back to their X box and leave us all alone--well, if Fenway stopped be a good place to get drunk they would. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from reaper. Show reaper's posts

I am willing to bet that concession stands that the Red Sox organization profits from sell hats of any color and will continue to sell them as long as there is a market that will buy them.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from l52094. Show l52094's posts

As someone said above, baseball does recognize Breast Cancer Awareness with PINK BATS and other garb.  Maybe the pink hats started in some way with breast cancer awareness?  If that's the case, it's wrong to complain.  Besides, we should be happy our teams are winning.  Remember the pain of 1986?  Remember Rod Rust?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from No_screen_name_required. Show No_screen_name_required's posts

[Quote]This is why I hate Boston sports fans. I moved  here from another state a few years ago and the intolerance and self-righteousness of  Boston fans is out of control. Sports should be fun. Rooting for your team should be fun. It should not be about who is the better or bigger fan. People who wear a pink hat or even a Yankees hat (I know -- horrors!) should be able to enjoy a game in Fenway Park without being harrassed. You people take yourselves way too seriuosly and you make Bostonians look bad. Show some good sportsmanship, lighten up and enjoy the sport.[/Quote]

Shut up.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Empress. Show Empress's posts

*shakes head* You have GOT to be kidding me. Papi and Schill are injured, and you're worrying about THE COLOR OF HATS?!?! Anybody who needs to challenge someone else's fandom over the color of a cap needs a crowbar and a gallon of KY Jelly to help them remove their heads from their rectums.

I'm a woman and I've been a life-long Red Sox fan--inducted into fandom by my grandfather and mother. Still have my "hate the Yankees hankie" from 1979. Get ribbed by the girls because when I start talking about The Sox, my Boston accent comes through thick and fast and all of a sudden, they feel like they're listening to a sports report, and they KNOW I hate professional sports. The only thing they can compare it to is Canadian women and hockey.

Unfortunately, it wasn't until the Great Baseball Marketing Explosion of the early Oughts that the sports apparel manufacturers realized that there was an entire section of the populace that might like a Sox cap in a different color than red or blue. I finally went out and bought a hat when it came in a color I'll wear--pink. 

As for going to Fenway... I don't. I can't deal with the crowds, the drunks, the idiots, and, most importantly, the prices.  If I'm going to watch a game, I'd rather do it either at home or with a bunch of friends on the TV. Or better yet, listen to it on the radio.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsgrl. Show patsgrl's posts

This is such a ridiculous discussion.  So our local teams now that they are finally winning can't have new fans?  Only us old, long suffering diehards are true fans?  Give me a break.  I enjoy watching games with new enthusiastic fans.  Being a fan isn't an exclusive club.

Isn't increasing the fan base part of the reason the owners want to field a competitive team?  How could they pay some of the exorbitant salaries without increased revenue from new fans, buying new stuff?

who cares - jump on the wagon, there's plenty of room!!

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from mhouston. Show mhouston's posts

Okay, I have been a Sox fan for my entire 38.4 years of existence.  All of my hats, including the raggedy one from the '80s are the standard blue.  Granted, someone gave me a pink Patriots hat when they won a superbowl a few years ago and I only wear it in extreme circumstances (i.e. running to BJ's, shoveling, etc.)

If people are going to buy into the new styles, so be it.  I'm basically a cranky "old timer".  I don't need any of the pink, fatigue, or any other of the new styles that seem to be out.  Give me the good old fashioned hat and t-shirt, and I will go happily on my way.  :)

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Bostonwalt. Show Bostonwalt's posts

My wife has been a big sox fan her whole life. She has a pink hat as well as a regular hat. Pink hats as well as all the other colors that MLB has come up with are just a marketing tool. Some ladies don't look good in the blue hats. I think most women who wear the pink hats are true Sox fans.    

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Swazz. Show Swazz's posts

My 2 cents in all this is, I grew up in Peabody and now live in Connecticut.  My wife is originally from the Bronx and we are "bringing up" the kids as Red Sox fans.  The fact that she went out and bought and wears a Red Sox hat (even a pink one) is a major victory for me personally (and a small victory for Red Sox Nation...we brought one over from the Dark Side.)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from cweingarten. Show cweingarten's posts

Why must we discuss the same topics year in year out?  Who cares if people like pink hats. 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bunkosquad. Show bunkosquad's posts

To me, the fact that two girls in pink hats left Fenway right after "Sweet Caroline", while Lester was throwing his no-hitter, is 2000's  Red Sox fans in a nutshell.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from boaterguy. Show boaterguy's posts

I am a lifelong sox fan and travel down from ME a bunch of times every season  to see games ansd have been doing so for 30+ years. If a female wants to wear a pink hat so be it. That does not dictate how much of a fan they are. I would be more concerned with all the folks that wear authentic sox apparel and carry there Remdawg and Orsillo signs and spend the whole game trying to wave at the camera. When is someone going to write about these annoying people, not the ones that are enjoying the game wearing a pink hat.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from OllieK08. Show OllieK08's posts

I am Red Sox fan, I am a Celtics fan, and most of all I am a Patriots fan.

And guess what - I only moved to Boston 4 months ago. Now you can go and shout obscenities, call me band wagon and not a true fan and all that you want cause you base your assumption on the above information.

Now, that you done with all that let me tell you one thing. I started playing basketball at school in the mid eighties. NBA was easily accessible from where I was living so all you could do pick a team form the newspapers and follow it - there weren't even teams on TV let alone the internet. I chose the celtics, and stuck with it.
    I also started playing football in college in the early nineties. We had US players, NFL was sometimes on TV and again I chose the patriots. Just like that. I stuck with them.

As for the Red Sox, I flirted with baseball in college but never warmed up to it, only later I learned to like it, after a visit to Anaheim and watching a game. The things that attracted me to Boston was the whole curse story.

Overall no real reasons to start an affiliation with a team, but then again those were my reasons and I started to root for these teams.

So go and take your views and assumptions and your I-hate-pink-hats attitude and do whatever you want.

For all your definitions I am bandwagon fan - let me tell you, websites and staying up until 5 in the morning to watch games, that's all I had. So call me a bandwagon fan, I do not care. period.

As far as I am concerned all those long suffering pink hating hardcore fans, and especially those who can't tolerate fans from other sports team, SHOULD BE BANNED FROM GOING TO FENWAY.... cause they have no idea what sports and sportsmanship is all about.

My daughter wears a pink hat!

me finished.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from AMP44. Show AMP44's posts

My uncle gave me a pink hat for Christmas.  He's 80 years old and a life long Red Sox fan.  I'm 44 and also a life long Red Sox fan.  I proudly wore a Yaz t-shirt at the age of 4, now I have an Ellsbury shirt.  I had no idea this was an issue.  I'll continue to wear my pink hat, it says Red Sox, the color doesnt matter to me.  I'm surprised it makes a difference to anyone else.