1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rherder. Show rherder's posts

Your thoughts on pink hats

How about if we leave people alone and let them wear what they want to wear?

This kind of thing is generated by the imbeciles at WEEI.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

[Quote]My wife got a pink hat to wear to the games this year.  She said she got pink so that I would not take it.  She knows me too well.[/Quote]..Tweed, shame on you..it would serve you right if she mid-riffed one of your jerseys...LOL!!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from JacqueStrappe. Show JacqueStrappe's posts

[Quote]We're not the 1st team to have bandwagon fans... that is obvious.  But here's a good "Pink Hatter Test".

Name me 10 players that played for the Boston Red Sox between 1990 and 1999.  And Roger Clemens doesn't count.

I think that is a good guage to determine whether or not someone is a fan, or around because it is  en vogue.   [/Quote]

I think you should eliminate Mo Vughn and Nomar Garciaparra as well, but Troy O'Leary, Scott Cooper, Phil Plantier, John Dopson, Tom Gordon, Hatty, Val, Joe Hesketh, Frank Viola, Bruno, and (my favorite player growing up) the Gator are a couple that come to mind

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Smokescreen. Show Smokescreen's posts

New, old, man, woman....True fans wear blue(or red), fitted, non adjustable caps...Just like the players

nuff said

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bernie1380. Show bernie1380's posts

It's not the color of the hat, it's the male or female underneath who,  like my friends girlfriend, a so called die hard fan, didn't know what Jerry Remy meant when he said "this is the first time the sox have been back to Cincinatti since 1975". She's said, why 1975?

Or another male friend of a friend, when I pointed out a guy who looked like Rich Gedman throwing out the first pitch. This die hard fan asked, who's Rich Gedman?

There should be a test before you get to crowd nit wits into bleacher seats that people who really suffered thru the misery used to sit in.

Question one: what position did Rey Quinones play?

If you pass, sure, I'll buy my own green hat and sit next to you.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from SueZisaQT. Show SueZisaQT's posts

For me, not liking pink hats has nothing to do with the person that wears them.  If you want to show your support for a team, I think you should do it with team colors.  If there was a team out there that had pink as one of their team colors, then I am all about wearing a pink hat to show support.  This is not a Red Sox thing, as there are pink hats available for all MLB, NBA, and NHL teams (that I am aware of... could be a few random exceptions), nor is this a hating women sports fan thing.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxy82. Show RedSoxy82's posts

[Quote]It's not the color of the hat, it's the male or female underneath who,  like my friends girlfriend, a so called die hard fan, didn't know what Jerry Remy meant when he said "this is the first time the sox have been back to Cincinatti since 1975". She's said, why 1975?

Or another male friend of a friend, when I pointed out a guy who looked like Rich Gedman throwing out the first pitch. This die hard fan asked, who's Rich Gedman?

There should be a test before you get to crowd nit wits into bleacher seats that people who really suffered thru the misery used to sit in.

Question one: what position did Rey Quinones play?

If you pass, sure, I'll buy my own green hat and sit next to you.[/Quote]

He played shortstop.  And I wear a pink hat.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrl984. Show mrl984's posts

I really hope this is all tongue in cheek.   I am a die hard lifelong Red Sox fan who faithfully suffered along with many of you, but when my two little girls attended their first Sox game last summer, they proudly wore their little pink hats, and I was proud to share the night with them (wearing my 'authentic' blue hat).  Hey, if it helps their interest level and ultimately helps creates a new Sox generation, who cares? 

Anybody yacking on a cell phone or otherwise not paying any attention to the game for the entire game, occupying a valuable seat just to be chic, should be banned from the Park, whether or not they are wearing a pink hat.... that's NOT the issue.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoxfanKK. Show SoxfanKK's posts

It doesn't matter what color hat one wears to the game.  Let's just all agree on one thing before you enter Fenway: that you are there to watch the game - not text, or talk on your cell non-stop, or talk incessantly and loudly about work or your friend's divorce, or drink until you want to fight someone, or swear at the top of your lungs and be generally unruly.  Now, I'm not saying everyone sit with hands folded, but let's act like civilized human beings who have basic manners and know how to behave in public.

It's becoming more and more difficult to enjoy a game - the gas to get there, the near $50 parking, as much in food/drink....if we pay this much $$ to get to Boston to see our favorite team at Fenway, we should be able to enjoy the game.  This kind of crap does not occur at Spring Training, why does it happen in Boston?  Anyone?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from bernie1380. Show bernie1380's posts

[Quote]He played shortstop.  And I wear a pink hat.[/Quote]

I can look up to @#$hole

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from GGallagher. Show GGallagher's posts

What abour the green caps for the Sox, huh????.. I've been wearing one since before they finally won a world series back in '04 after 86 years..probably since at least 2000.  People and I mean  Red Sox nation locals have ask what it means and I say I am an IRISHMEN... from Southie too.....proud of my local baseball team.  That they get.  Pink caps only sybolize THAT THE FEMALE GENDER IS SHOWING IT'S PRIDE....you ignorant bunch of nitwits.... 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yikahs. Show Yikahs's posts

As far as I can remember, vendors weren't making Red Sox hats in 72 colors until recently.  I have an old navy Red Sox hat and in 2004 I bought a pink one - thought it was cute.  I became a fan in 1967 and still know the words to the Carl Yastrzemski (the man they call "Yaz") song. 

Are there new fans out there hopping on the bandwagon?  Sure.  Are there "pink hat" people who have been fans for years.  Definitely. 

I have a bigger issue with those "fans" who got tickets to Opening Day at Fenway and had no idea who Bill Buckner is and his history with the Red Sox. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from JacqueStrappe. Show JacqueStrappe's posts

Amused by your duaghter's "favorite team" comment, but why are these radio talk-show hosts, callers, and listeners "dopes" in your mind?  They're passionate about the game of baseball, therefore choose to spend they're time discussing it as opposed to other activities. This qualifies them as dopes?  I don't find fault in the people who destroy their knees running on asphalt in all kinds of weather.  Or the ones that play on-line for make-believe chips 10 hours a day. That's what they chose to do with their time.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from chuckufarley. Show chuckufarley's posts

Pink hats are OK ladies if you show your B O O B I E S

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from MPW. Show MPW's posts

Please!  I agree with everyone who says "who cares" about Pink hats.  I am 41 years old, have been a season ticket holder for over 15 years and also love seeing women supporting the team.  If you want to be upset about something, it should be the stupidity of playing (and singing!) Sweet Caroline by Neil Diamond.  Helloooo....he is from New York people.  That whole "tradition" is as bad if not worse that doing the wave when there are two on and two out in the bottom of the 8th and the Sox are down by 1 run....get a grip.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from JacqueStrappe. Show JacqueStrappe's posts

The player's name on a home jersey thing bugs the hell out of me too. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bleedSOXred. Show bleedSOXred's posts

pink hats? Aren't they for the ladies? Mad about cellphones, pink hats, green jerseys? I find nothing wrong with them. How about getting rid of the beach ball and the WAVE. Nothing worse than being down by a run late in the game, a runner or two gets aboard, and the WAVE starts up. Ban the WAVE NOW!! 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bernie1380. Show bernie1380's posts

[Quote]Ireland doesnt give a crap about the red sox or baseball for that matter. Your an American. Or plastic Paddy (fake Irish)[/Quote]

Nor do we care about some third world European country

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from knotted85A. Show knotted85A's posts

Interesting to know that the pink hat is hated. I have been turned off by all non-team colored hats and  bric-a-brac.  I can't explain it, just like I can't explain why I do not like uncooked tomates. Just don't. Not my taste.

I do not hate the pink hat any more than the green  shirt, though. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from JacqueStrappe. Show JacqueStrappe's posts

I have a bigger issue with those "fans" who got tickets to Opening Day at Fenway and had no idea who Bill Buckner is and his history with the Red Sox. [/Quote]

I was standing next to a couple jamokes in the bleachers dressed head to toe in Red Sox garb, that insisted on booing Buckner on April 8th.  I responded with a "STFU" and pointed out that buckner drove in over 100 runs that season, the only response from 1 that was we wouldn't have waited so long if he could have fielded a simple ground ball.  Sad. 

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Missymags. Show Missymags's posts

[Quote]I can look up to @#$hole[/Quote]

Bernie, it seems like you are still sitting in misery. Use your expertise to teach people, not ridicule and you might enjoy a game instead of suffering through it.

A friend of mine bought me a green & white, shamrock detailed hat last time we went to a game, it's yours.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from buster21. Show buster21's posts

This is such a rediculous argument.

These women didn't make their own pink hats. The Red Sox organization did. They also put out Camo, Black, Green, orange and every other color and style under the sun to make money. They don't seem to bothered by it too much. The same thing  goes with the Patriots. The Pats and the NFL don't care about the actual season ticket holder fans, what time teh game starts what time you actually get home, how long you have to sit in traffic.  They don't care who goes buys the tickets as long as they are sold. The same thing will happen with teh celtics.  Last year they couldn't give tickets away, now  the garden will be filled with  corperations and people with money to burn.

Players and owners always say "It's a business" The fans need to start realizing that too AND GET USED TO IT.  You are not seen as a fan you are seen as revenue. End of story.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxboy71. Show soxboy71's posts

[Quote]This whole topic is hilarious. I happily welcome anyone who gets enjoyment out of the Sox for a game, a day,  a week, a month or  for many years.  My suspicions are raised when anyone purporting to be a "longtime Red Sox fan" criticizes anyone else for any sign of allegiance or loyalty. Those are the people who raise my hackles. Hey, it's inclusion folks,  not exclusion. Just because someone has seen the light recently and wants to show it should not be interpreted as anything less than confirming what many of us have known for many years: the Red Sox are habit forming and much safer than heroin.[/Quote]

The problem is, it's a lot easier to pledge allegiance when they're winning.  True lovers are there through the thick and the thin.  It's a sign of character.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrl984. Show mrl984's posts

[Quote]Pink hats, Red Sox Nation, Highest ticket prices?????   Don't people have the brains to know they are suckers to the big business that goes on at Fenway for about 90 days per season.  The fans are paying big bucks, so that guys that couldn't earn crap in the real world make millions of $ per year.  Get out and support local school athletes who play hard, earn nothing, and are US citizens.[/Quote]

You are of course 100% right about the business and players.  But it's not about not having any brains to recognize that fact.  It's simply an entertainment choice, or in the case of me, being bred into a baseball family.  It's not unlike paying $9 to see a movie at the theatre.  Fishing is a huge business, does that mean we should stop buying over-priced fishing gear and not go fishing any more?  Why do we go out to expensive restaurants and eat meals that can be had for a tiny fraction of the cost elsewhere, or at home? 

It's just a choice we make for whatever reason, and as long as we recognize it as a choice, we are not being a sucker.  A sucker is somebody who get pulled into something but has no idea how or why they got there.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from werbiefitz. Show werbiefitz's posts

I was in Junior High when we lost to the Reds (our entire school cheered for the Red Sox the last minute of each day during the World Series), I was in a bar in Florida in '86 (and was the ONLY Sox fan in the place) - I was a Red Sox fan long before some of you were born!  And I have a pink hat, a green hat, a red hat & a blue hat with flashing lights around the "B" - only for playoff games!!  It doesn't matter what color your hat is - what matters is that you bleed "Red Sox Red"!  Get a life guys!  And get out of my way so I can watch the game!