1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

Your thoughts on pink hats

Gee did anyone ever think that Sox stuff was not available until they won.
    Folks I've lived in different parts of the country and always had my kids send me Sox Celts, Bruins and Pats stuff.

In Tucson I never saw Boston until the Pats won. I bet Celts & RS  stuff abounds out there now.
    Same for here in Bradenton Fl Sox stuff was not here until they won. This is just 45 min north of ST and there was nothing. He!! I go into BJ's Club and there is SOX stuff right along with Rays and Yankees and NO ONE ELSE.
    Guess what if Detroit wins this year guess what will be available.

Pink hats may have been available but you seldomly saw them because the Sox stuff did not sell as well even in Boston.
    In all the times I went to Sox games and visited Twins I never saw pink hats until recently.
    Why is that because WOMEN like them better than the blue ones. They are prettier plain and simple.
    I personally like the two tone red and blue faded style from the 70's and I have one that I got last year.
    BTW it is the first Sox hat since I was a kid and I'm not a jonny come lately.

GET OVER IT. THEY LOOK GOOD ON ALL THE LADIES WHO LIKE THE SOX

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Henners. Show Henners's posts

The whole pink hat issue is pretty silly, full of fallacies and misses the bigger picture: Sports is a business, and fans are changing with it.

It was amusing to read a two-page story about  pink hats without one mention of  who it is that wears pink hats – women. So, what was the underlying point here? That only women are “poseurs?” Please.

Secondly, how does anyone know whether anyone choosing to wear a pink (or green or camo..) hat is or isn’t a long-time Sox fan? As for the oft-asked question of “where were the pink hats when the Sox were losing?” I suspect they (the pink hats) did not exist under previous regimes. But the new owners are doing anything and everything they can to bring in more fans, yes, but more importantly, to squeeze the last dollar out of Sox fans. Pink is a fashion statement, nothing more. It’s just another choice, much in the same way ball players now have more choices about what they wear. Some of the uniform options that are worn today did not exist even a few years ago. Are the Sox players who choose the newer looks somehow less committed than the players who opt for the more traditional uniforms? Didn’t think so.

Speaking of squeezing every last dollar out of the fans, where are all the people who claim sports is entertainment today? When players whine and moan about being “disrespected” and “unappreciated” by management (as in, not paid enough), when they jump ship for a better offer, making it clear as they leave that it’s a business decision, nothing personal, well, then why are we carrying on about “fair weather fans” and even “new fans?” As a manically devoted Sox fan friend of mine noted – you don’t have fair weather fans in the entertainment business: If you produce, fans love you, your fan base grows and you make millions. If you stop producing (winning in this analogy) then you risk losing fans, you don’t make new fans, and you lose money and you fade away. That’s the deal.

Professional athletes today for the most part prefer the entertainer approach - it lets them pursue the highest bidder with no regrets or worries about the fans left behind. This is a short-term business for most of them. So be it. Fans can and should play this game too. Get paid millions but you can’t win? Why shouldn’t the fans - many of whom have been priced out of the ball park by these high salaries - turn their attentions elsewhere? And if suddenly a losing team start winning, well, why wouldn’t the excitement pull in former and new fans? And what’s wrong with that?  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dmonmcd. Show dmonmcd's posts

I don't think the pink hat is the problem, it's a way to get female fans involved. The real problem is the "trendy" fans who will come and go when the Sox are losing or winning. The truth is that the whole Sox scene is very trendy right now where Fenway is the place to be and that only "rich" fans can go to games because with the influx of all these trendy fans comes elevated ticket prices. This rubs us real Sox fans the wrong way because we have been going to games our whole lives through good and bad when ticket prices were affordable! I personally don't have a problem with pink if the fan was there before 04 but if not you don't have the right to wear it!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bernie1380. Show bernie1380's posts

[Quote][Quote]Nor do we care about some third world European country

Shows how much you know. Ireland was a third world country only 50 years ago.

P.S I'm 100% full blooded American.[/Quote]

It was an euphemism, guess it passed you by. Too smart for me. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from soxboy71. Show soxboy71's posts

[Quote]Anyone is who is more concerned about what people are wearing or not wearing at Fenway is obviously not paying attention to the game.  If you feel that your ability to enjoy a Sox game, whether it be in the yard or on tv, is hindered by the fact that some people are wearing pink, green, or camo than you are spending way too much time looking at the crowd than the field.
    I have been a baseball fan since birth (I don't even remember my first game because I was an infant).  I wear a pink hat because it's my favorite color.  I also wear a Red Sox charm bracelet because I can't wear a hat to work, but I like to show my support all the time. When I go to a game, I actually watch the game. I don't care what other people wear because to me the most important thing going on is the game itself, not the fashion show.
    And to those of you who are claiming that they want the Sox to start losing again so they don't have to look at pink hats anymore, you are not true fans.  No fan in their right mind would want their team to lose. Watch the game, losers. Stop oogling the girls (and boys) in pink hats.[/Quote]

RedSoxy, the pink hats are symbols of the bandwagoners...there is an association that a lot of us diehards have trouble breaking.  I don't have a problem with the hats themselves, but to me, a true fan is someone sat in the bleachers back in '93 and actually watch Clemens pitch in a Sox uniform (or, for those who are too young, someone who remembers that Bret Saberhagen once pitched here).

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from who-cares-1940. Show who-cares-1940's posts

Some Red Sox fans seem to be nostalgic for the days when they were losers, as hard as that is to believe. It's like they've lost their identity now that they're not supporting a losing team.

Anybody who sees red when they see pink is in serious need of counselling.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from JacqueStrappe. Show JacqueStrappe's posts

My 3 1/2 year old daughter wears a pink hat

Nobody is here blasting children for the color of their hat.  Hell I bought a pink visor for my 23 -year old wife.  We've enjoyed 56 games together at Fenway over the last 6 years including 4 very memorable ones last October.  Beside the fact she has no problem making all the beer runs, she became a fan so she could share one of the most important passions of my life.  She could care less about being labeled a die-hard fan, and I believe that any grown man that needs to question a female or child's allegiance to the Sox has to question his own. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bernie1380. Show bernie1380's posts

[Quote]

Bernie, it seems like you are still sitting in misery. Use your expertise to teach people, not ridicule and you might enjoy a game instead of suffering through it.

A friend of mine bought me a green & white, shamrock detailed hat last time we went to a game, it's yours.

Cool, i'll email you my address.

Here's a thought, let's see who's on this board, "x" many years from now when the Sox have posted say, 3 consecutive losing seasons. We'll just who's left.

All the Pink Bruins hats maybe out? I doubt that, but maybe they'll be the new fad

[/Quote]

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jejjcat. Show jejjcat's posts

[Quote]My 3 1/2 year old daughter wears a pink hat , knows who Manny is and was born the day the Sox beat the Yankees in 2004, if some inbred yahoo living in his mother's basement or some old toothless moron EVAH came up to her and said something, they best apply for a job in the space program because this planet will not be big enough.
    It's a HAT people , a freaking HAT..............
    get over it....[/Quote]  Well said.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxy82. Show RedSoxy82's posts

[Quote]I can look up to @#$hole[/Quote]

Ouch. Are you calling me out because I know the answer (without looking it up) and I wear a pink hat or because you thought you were the only person to know the answer? Just curious.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jifutta. Show jifutta's posts

I'm female, a Red Sox fan since well before 2004 and I refuse to buy a Red Sox hat in any color other than the teams colors.  To me pink, light blue, yellow, camoflauge, black, brown whatever the colors maybe none of them are White, Blue or Red!  I don't mind the green so much now because they do wear green jerseys on occasion.  Maybe I'm a purist but teh majority of the people I've seen wearing any of these other colors do it as a fashion statement and are not actually watching the game when they're at Fenway.  As far as marketing goes, I bet if they only sold gear in the traditional Red Sox colors after 2004 the gear would still be selling off the shelves.  Give me a break!

Oh, and all of this goes for the Patriots as well. 

Hmmm, I wonder if we'll start seeing Pink Celtics gear now that the Celtics won.  Nevermind, I  just saw a pink 2008 NBA Champs t-shirt...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from bernie1380. Show bernie1380's posts

[Quote]Ouch. Are you calling me out because I know the answer (without looking it up) and I wear a pink hat or because you thought you were the only person to know the answer? Just curious.[/Quote]

oh yeah. Like google isn't open on your desk top

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from jete02fan. Show jete02fan's posts

[Quote]My 3 1/2 year old daughter wears a pink hat

Nobody is here blasting children for the color of their hat.  Hell I bought a pink visor for my 23 -year old wife.  We've enjoyed 56 games together at Fenway over the last 6 years including 4 very memorable ones last October.  Beside the fact she has no problem making all the beer runs, she became a fan so she could share one of the most important passions of my life.  She could care less about being labeled a die-hard fan, and I believe that any grown man that needs to question a female or child's allegiance to the Sox has to question his own. [/Quote] hey there JStrappe!..long time no see..what's happening?..i was going to mention those also..i've been seeing a lot more visors being worn at the stadium..the last game my wife went to she bought 2(white and pink..)..   

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from JRE. Show JRE's posts

[Quote]The problem is, it's a lot easier to pledge allegiance when they're winning.  True lovers are there through the thick and the thin.  It's a sign of character.[/Quote]

Exactly!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from frazzle. Show frazzle's posts

It Rhymes with PINK BAT!!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from JacqueStrappe. Show JacqueStrappe's posts

[Quote]hey there JStrappe!..long time no see..what's happening?..i was going to mention those also..i've been seeing a lot more visors being worn at the stadium..the last game my wife went to she bought 2(white and pink..)..   [/Quote]

Jete my man, how you been, bro?   I'm looking forward to a war this July 4th weekend! Hope your boys are up to the task....:)

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from bernie1380. Show bernie1380's posts

[Quote]Exactly!![/Quote]

Bingo! let's come back to this board some time in the future when they go below 500 for 3 consecutive years. We'll have 1st base dug out seats in now time

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bunkosquad. Show bunkosquad's posts

It's a tribal thing.  If you've ever loved a band before they hit it big, then they hit it big, then you go see them at a bigger venue and sit behind some morons who sing along with the 2 songs from the radio and talk the whole time the band is playing the great songs from the first album that made you love them in the first place, you'll know what I mean.

Then again, if you don't know what I mean, you're probably one of the morons singing along with the hits.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Thornir. Show Thornir's posts

[Quote]The problem is, it's a lot easier to pledge allegiance when they're winning.  True lovers are there through the thick and the thin.  It's a sign of character.[/Quote] I guess we can all hope the team starts to suck again really soon so that new fans can start showing some character.  In the meantime, perhaps they can start selling whips with the Sox logo on them so new fans can flog themselves and understand some of the pain you suffered during the bad years. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxy82. Show RedSoxy82's posts

[Quote]oh yeah. Like google isn't open on your desk top[/Quote]

Could it ever occur to you that my dad has been a long time baseball fan and shares his extensive knowledge of the sport (including every statistic known to man) with his daughter? You asked a question, I answered it.  You responded with a rude remark. I then ask a serious question and you continue your rant. What's your problem, buddy?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from frazzle. Show frazzle's posts

I shall wear a pink hat and carry a pink bat for protection against a bunch of idiots who think it shows lack of character - takes on e to know one.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bernie1380. Show bernie1380's posts

[Quote]Could it ever occur to you that my dad has been a long time baseball fan and shares his extensive knowledge of the sport (including every statistic known to man) with his daughter? You asked a question, I answered it.  You responded with a rude remark. I then ask a serious question and you continue your rant. What's your problem, buddy?[/Quote]

ok, so your dad is sitting next to you.
    you are

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from calarese. Show calarese's posts

Pink is not the team color. 

Wearing a different color doesn't really support unity for the fans.  Can someone show up for a Celtics v Lakers game wearing a yellow Celtics shirt because they "like yellow"? 

Just look to the passionate fans of soccer.  They wouldn't dare wear any colors that don't support their country to the game.  The stadiums are filled with 2 colors of fans- one for each team.  Go to a Sox game and it'sa hodgepodge of camo hats, green hats, pink hats, pink sox shirts, etc. because that is what is trendy.

People who wear pink hats just don't get it.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ProperBostonian. Show ProperBostonian's posts

You gives a crap if someone wears a pink colored hat.  You must be kidding me?  I sat next to a 10 year old girl last night.  It was the first time she was at Fenway.  She was wearing a pink hat.  Who in their right mind would give her a hard time because she choose the color pink?

Don't mean to sound sexist or stereotypical, but pink is a color that is associated with girls/women since birth. 

Women wear the color pink and it's as simple as that.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from frazzle. Show frazzle's posts

[Quote]

Pink is not the team color. 

Wearing a different color doesn't really support unity for the fans.  

People who wear pink hats just don't get it.

[/Quote]

Tell that to Big Papi