Favorite musem to visit with kids?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonDotCom. Show BostonDotCom's posts

What Boston-area museums have your children enjoyed? What exhibits and presentations did they like best? Was the experience worth the admission price?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from wangyang. Show wangyang's posts

Last summer, a friend of mine and I took a trip to the New England Aquarium.� The tickets online were pretty pricey, so I managed to get VERY discounted tickets courtesy of our local library.� And rather than pay the parking fees in the city, we drove to Quincy and took the ferry in.� It was AWESOME...it drops you off right at the pier next to the Aquarium and the kids absolutely loved it.I haven't been to the Children's Museum in a couple years (another one I believe I can get passes to through the Library), I'd like to go again with the kids sometime.South of the city, be sure to check out the Children's museums in Easton, MA (small but a lot of fun for your younger kids) and Providence�RI (sort of in between the Easton and Boston museums in size), both of which give AAA discounts.� Another place I'd like to check out sometime (not exactly a museum but along the same lines) is the Butterfly Place in Westford, MA.� I think the kids would really like that, especially in this winter weather!� It opens back up tomorrow, actually.� http://www.butterflyplace-ma.com/

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from volleyskippy. Show volleyskippy's posts

HI! One of my favorite spots is a little out of Boston but it's great!
    Its the Hands on Art Museum. They have all kinds of rooms the kids can do all types of art and craft. They also have people to help guide the kids if wanted.

http://www.handsonartmuseum.com/
    and Shirley Mass isn't that far.:)

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from teaperson. Show teaperson's posts

The Museum of Science is an obvious choice.� Going further out into the suburbs, my kids like both the Discovery Museums in Acton and the Peabody Essex Museum in Salem.� The PEM has a fabulous exhibit on Origami right now, with incredibly complex works of art right next to a room where there are easy-to-follow instructional videos for kids.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rmbmisys. Show rmbmisys's posts

North Shore - Just a half hour�north of Boston is the Wenham Museum.�My kids can't wait to see the model trains and like to pretend to play house and store in the discovery room where the kids dress up in colonial costumes,�churn butter,�shop at the country store.�We liked the 100 years of toys exhibit so much that I brought my friends back to see it and found that they had added new toys. I like the fact that the museum is geared to families and there are a lot of hands-on ways to learn about history. It's the perfect place to introduce children to a real museum; it's just the right size.They have a lot of family and kids programs too. They just had a family disco dance that was fun and we are going to a yo yo program in April.�Wenham is quintesssential New England and there are nice places to eat. Last summer we went and found a playground across the street. Get directions on the website www.wenhammuseum.org . Parking was free. We joined as members a year ago and it's already paid for it'self.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from ausrot. Show ausrot's posts

That is the Harvard Museum of Natural History http://www.hmnh.harvard.edu

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ezskankin. Show ezskankin's posts

I have a 5 and a 2 year old and i personally can't stand to bring them to the children's museum.� parking is a major hassle and very expensive.� the acoustics are unbelievably bad.� i was disapointed to find that the renovations did not improve the noise level one bit (is it possible it got worse?� maybe i'm just getting older).� the place is chaotic.� the floor of the bubble room is dangerously slippery.� the dining options are poor, and�the seating area for those who have brought their own food is depressing.� plus, my kids get sick after every visit.��i imaging that when my children are a bit older -- maybe 8 to 12 years old -- the trip will be more manageable and rewarding.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 99screenname99. Show 99screenname99's posts

As a newish parent, the toughest thing is finding age-appropriate museums.

The Aquarium is great for the youngest of all. Babies seem to enjoy watching the fish go by and colors of the water oscillate.

As I'm now into the toddler years, the challenges are different because at this age they want to DO DO DO! That said, the Harvard Natural History Museum was a total bust.

But my best suggestion is The Providence Children's Museum! If your active toddler is like mine, he or she will love the toys, structures to navigate, and large water room. They have a fenced-in free lot (that looks like it might fill up) and are about a minute off of 95.

Sections
Shortcuts