Frugal family fun?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonDotCom. Show BostonDotCom's posts

Frugal family fun?

Taking your kids to a Red Sox or Patriots game can cost hundreds of dollars. A family ski weekend is usually pretty pricey.

Where do you take your kids for inexpensive amusement? To the bowling alley? To a play with half-off admission for children? What are your suggestions for family outings that are low in price, but high in fun?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from sjd123. Show sjd123's posts

Frugal family fun?

We took our boys to the Polar Express Blackstone Valley train ride last weekend. It was about thirty dollars a person, but we all really enjoyed it. It is Cumberland RI, on the border of MA.

Summer time... Davis Water Park and Farmland was great too. They have a neat corn maze in fall. The water park is great for small children because it is all sprinkler based. It is in Clinton / Sterling area.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jjjinglis. Show jjjinglis's posts

Frugal family fun?

I'd suggest checking out the local public library...most have discounted museum passes so you can see some of the great stuff in the area of nearly free. Also, libraries tend to have lots of family programming, particularly near vacation weeks--you can see great magicians, jugglers, storytellers, all for free.

Yes, I am a librarian.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from columbine. Show columbine's posts

Frugal family fun?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from wangyang. Show wangyang's posts

Frugal family fun?

We have an annual membership to our local farm (www.winslowfarm.com) and while the initial cost is $75, it's for an awesome cause and we have unlimited visits there.� It's open year round so if the weather cooperates, we just hop in the car and go visit.� Pick a place you can get a ton of mileage out of with your kids, consider your membership a donation, and visit as often as you can.I also think the library route is the way to go.� I am constantly amazed that my coworkers pay full price for tickets to places and have no idea that their libraries carry memberships!One more thing...whip out that AAA card if you have it whenever you go to pay.� You never know if you'll get a discount.� For instance, it entitles you to one free ticket to the Children's Museums of both Easton and Providence. That's one third off the price for me to get in!!

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from throckbot. Show throckbot's posts

Frugal family fun?

Hiking is my favorite cheap outing.  Even with a three year old you can spend a couple hours walking in the woods or up a small hill.  Concord and Lincoln each have maps of their conservation land and trails available for $5 (at Town offices on weekdays).

Then for 6-10 year olds you can go to Mt. Monadnock, or the smaller Pack Monadnock.  Pack Monadnock did charge me $3 when I got to the top though.  That was an unpleasant surprise.

And two hours of driving is about 4 galons of gas, or $16.

Another good day out is a bike ride.  Bring your lunches to save money and time, and then if you feel like splurging you can buy ice cream on the way home.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from HarvardMuseumofNaturalHistory. Show HarvardMuseumofNaturalHistory's posts

Frugal family fun?

The Harvard Museum of Natural History, with dinosaurs, meteorites from outer space and more than 500 animals from all over the world is free all day on Sunday Sept 21 for Community Day. The museum is free on Sunday mornings 9 am to noon, year round. It's a 6-7 minute walk from Harvard Square T. You can see live scorpions in one exhibit, and live colorful poison dart frogs will be on display in the new Language of Color, opening 9/26.
    Parking info, etc at www.hmnh.harvard.edu.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BonnieMac. Show BonnieMac's posts

Frugal family fun?

I love to take the kids Letterboxing - a kind of hiking/scavenger hunt. There is a great web site (of which i am not a part but use all the time) - www.letterboxing.org - it gives you all the places to go letterboxing, locally, nationally and internationally. Also great to teach the kids geography, nature, cartography, etc. just a lot of outdoor fun!

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from fuzzy1. Show fuzzy1's posts

Frugal family fun?

I have hit up several of the local farms (apple farms mostly) its always a pleasent few hours taking the kids on a free hayride and picking fresh Mac's (or what have you, personally I love crisp Mac's off the tree).

I go to multiple local festivals in the fall, and really like a few of them. Some are more expensive than others.

Local libraries still have free admission tickets to local museums, so I join a couple libraries, then get multiple free passes for the same day a couple months in advance. Then I hit a couple in Boston on the same day (Childrens/Aquarium... that kind of thing).

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from flume. Show flume's posts

Frugal family fun?

Check out the FREE family art days at the Danforth Museum of Art in Framingham, Massachusetts. Usually from 2-4 pm the first Sunday of the month, the museum is free for families who register for the family art day. A Teen docent leads the family tours, designed for kids 5-10. How cool is that? Afterwards there are hands on art projects with art materials provided.

In addition there is a gallery especially for kids with the works hung at eye-level. On view through March are the illustrations of Faith Ringgold from her book about the Underground Railroad.

Today and for the next couple of months, a group of fabulous African American artists are on exhibition in the adult galleries as well.

Kids 17 and under have FREE admission all the time and there is also a full museum school connected. I'm going to be taking adult classes, but there are also a full selection of reasonably priced kids and family art classes. This place is a tremendous resource for the area, and takes about 20 minutes to drive from Boston.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from droolboy. Show droolboy's posts

Frugal family fun?

i lik the pool

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from tigira. Show tigira's posts

Frugal family fun?

I make an investment in this once a year. I buy a membership to the MoS. If we don't want to pay parking fees we take the T, but parking is discounted if you have a membership, too.

We can go there for a few hours, bring our lunch box coolers and stash them in the lockers for when we get hungry, play on the musical stairs, and so on. Lately we have to spend at least half an hour by the Triceratops Cliff exhibit before going on to anything else, but there's plenty to do, and kids never seem to get bored with it.

In the nicer weather, go for a hike in the Middlesex Fells. You may not get far - toddlers and preschoolers are fascinated by the first log they find. Going to Sheepsfold Meadow is fun, especially if your child likes curious and playful dogs, since there are so many there on weekend mornings. Breakheart Reservation is also a fun hike with a toddler. Did you know that any stick is a lightsaber?

Sledding in the winter.
    Build a snowman when there's enough good snow.

If it's nasty weather, we'll wander the mall and watch my son gawk at headless mannequins. For a few dollars in quarters, he goes on the rides there, and we can get him a smoothie at Dunkin.

Keep your eyes and ears open for local festivals.
    There's plenty to do while being frugal.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kristina8393. Show Kristina8393's posts

Frugal family fun?

You can find lots of upcoming weekend family events and family places to go all around the greater Boston here!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from baseballfan456. Show baseballfan456's posts

Frugal family fun?

My favorite activity is taking the kids to see the Brockton Rox Minor League Baseball Team. It is a safe, fun, family friendly environment with the cheapest ticket being $5. Also we went on a Sunday afternoon for the Family Fun Day and the kids got to play catch on the field before the game, got the whole teams autograph, and run the bases after the game.

Other than Sunday the Rox have 2 for 1 nights, kids eat free nights, and a package that is $44 that includes 4 tickets, 4 hot dogs, 4 chips, and 4 cokes.

The Rox are the best value and the kids will have a blast

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from greenhalgh1000. Show greenhalgh1000's posts

Frugal family fun?

A walk along the esplanade walkway in Boston, the North End, or the Harward Campus is a great and inexpensive way to spend the day. There are many playgrounds along the way to stop at and play and plenty of places to stop for a snack too.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from arhus. Show arhus's posts

Re: Frugal family fun?

Museums have free or inexpensive times to visit.

The Minuteman National Park -- free activities for the family -- check their web site.

As far as plays go -- check out college productions -- inexpensive and fun.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Sophie08. Show Sophie08's posts

Growing up my mom made fried chicken from scratch early in the morning, she would pack a picnic hamper, we would usually end up at Mystic Lakes for a few hours.  How about taking the kiddies on a nature walk, pack a lunch, get close to nature, with kid's whys, how comes, who says, should be fun. LOL. 

A few hours of biking with ice cream as a treat from some place you have never tried before.

A lot of the posters preceding me seem like they are advertisements.

Stay cool, it's gonna rain Sunday............

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonAreaMom. Show BostonAreaMom's posts

How about a couple of things?
    * Order your museum passes online from the library to the Boston Children's Museum or to the Franklin Park Zoo. With the passes, your admission is only $2 a person. I have been able to order passes just a few days before. It is amazing how people forget about these passes.

*  Most Barnes and Noble book stores have a free children's event happening every Friday or Saturday. They read a few stories and then the kids participate in an activity. My daughter loves it.

*Check out what other passes your library has. For example, my library has a pass that lets me get into the state parks, such as Salisbury Beach, for free.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Trigirl627. Show Trigirl627's posts

$1 Friday nights 5pm-9pm at the Boston Children's Museum. We took our daughter earlier tonight.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_3919583. Show user_3919583's posts

Try the Salem to Boston or the Boston to Salem Ferry. Very affordable and a great tour of the coast on a really cool boatt to great destinations. The company has many partners for discounts in either city with yout tickets.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fortejones. Show Fortejones's posts

Going to the Beach.  Pack a lunch and snacks.. Don't forget sunblock. Great beach for boogie boards! 
    Newport 2nd Beach in Middleton Rhode Island cost $20 to get in.  Life guards and bathrooms are there.  Great for day with the kids.
    Enjoy.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from LindaOdineca. Show LindaOdineca's posts

I wrote a couple of blog entries about frugal family AND personal fun. I hope these ideas help!
    http://ourunemployedlife.wordpress.com/2010/06/30/june-was-our-outdoor-month/http://ourunemployedlife.wordpress.com/2010/06/01/june-will-be-our-outdoor-month/
    http://ourunemployedlife.wordpress.com/2010/02/04/short-term-goals/

Linda

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from HappyGirl67. Show HappyGirl67's posts

Free Friday Flicks are classic & popular, family-oriented movies shown each Friday night throughout the summer at the Hatch Shell on the Esplanade for FREE! People of all ages flock to the banks of the Charles River with their chairs, blankets and picnics to enjoy these movies under the stars. All movies are shown rain or shine at sundown (approximately 8:30pm). But come early to grab your spot on the lawn...and visit the WBZ Tent for lots of free giveaways, food samples and fun interactive games!

July 16: Star Trek
    July 23: Where the Wild Things AreJuly 30: Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs  August 6: Monsters vs. AliensAugust 13: How to Train a DragonAugust 20: The Princess and the FrogAugust 27: Up

Drive in or take Red Line to Charles (Street)/MGH station or the Green line to Arlington station. Walk down Arlington St. toward Beacon St. & cross Beacon St. You will see the big Arthur Fiedler Walkway in front of you. Walk across the walkway and the Hatch Shell is on your right.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from HappyGirl67. Show HappyGirl67's posts

Movies By Moonlight Boston Harbor HotelAn outdoor screen is set up on the side of the large gazebo. Cafe patrons and pedestrians can watch a movie and absorb the ambience of the waterfront.July 16: Field of DreamsJuly 23: An Affair to RememberJuly 30: Some Like It HotAugust 6: All About EveAugust 13: TootsieAugust 20: All The President's MenAugust 27: The Adventures of Robin HoodSeptember 3: Raiders of the Lost Ark  Cheap Flicks The Cameo Theater, WeymouthEvery Tuesday All Seats $4.00 Mendon Twin Drive-in, Mendon$20 per carload open 7 days a week. The projection booth is equipped with the latest in sound & picture technology and the sound is broadcasted over AM/FM stereo, either from your car radio or any portable stereo you wish to bring. Feel free to bring frisbees, balls, etc.