Your go-to dive bar or neighborhood watering hole in Boston?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from murraysean. Show murraysean's posts

Re: Your go-to dive bar or neighborhood watering hole in Boston?

Silhouette Lounge in Allston - spent many a night there, when I was in College

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from leoneil47. Show leoneil47's posts

Hi folks, pretty much all of the ones mentioned here that are still open are talked about in the book. Thanks for your memories here, appreciated.

luke

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dvcooke. Show dvcooke's posts

The Castlebar in Oak Sq.

They prettied up the place a good amount, but it still qualifies as a dive bar.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from sailingcp. Show sailingcp's posts

Biddy Early's in the Financial District on Pearl Street.  It's so out of place amongst the high rises but it has great bartenders and the drinks are big and strong.  I love this place.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Opus2009. Show Opus2009's posts

Orchard Park Grill, Watertown and The Bus Stop in Allston - both have decent food and reasonably priced drinks.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigguy45. Show bigguy45's posts

QIG you are right I just thought I'd mention what it is now.  We used to call the Windsor Tap the Windsor Slap and the Dugout on Comm.Ave. was the Slugout!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigguy45. Show bigguy45's posts

I remember the Old Father's Bars.  You know Fathers 4, Fathers 2 etc.  Back when they had happy hours those places were nuts.  Vodka Drinks for 75 cents.  Saw a few good brawls in those places.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mpc0221. Show mpc0221's posts

I agree with the Cantab and Sligo. I'd like to add: the Beacon Hill Pub, known as the "BHP" to the college/post-college crowd, known as the Pub to the regulahs.

Sully's tap is a good one, too.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Anonymous81. Show Anonymous81's posts

Despite it's dive-like appearance, I would personally never consider Mary Ann's in Cleveland Circle a "dive bar".  It's a place for frat boys and underage BC girls not "working class" "regulars". 

Sadly, the same or similar can be said about a lot of these place now a days.  I walked by Sully's (the one near north station) last week and there was a line outside 25-30 people deep full of kids dressed like they were going clubbing. I also had similar experience with hipsters and the Sillouette this winter.   

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from jsl3. Show jsl3's posts

P.A's in Union Square, Somerville. Enough said.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from johndoe678. Show johndoe678's posts

This list is wholly incomplete without mention of the Silhouette on Brighton Ave in Allston. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from QIG. Show QIG's posts

Anom81.....sorry to read that about Sullys. I remember doing some quick power drinking there before hitting a dead show at the Garden in 93 or 94 (RIP Jerry). The place was pretty empty as most had gone into the show, but there were broken bottles, cig butts, reese's cups, spit, etc... everywhere. I even think a few deadheads were camping/squatting  under one of the pool tables.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mikebenjaminsox. Show mikebenjaminsox's posts

Anyone remember Tim's Bar on Columbus? I think it closed about 10 years ago now. That was my favorite bar in Boston -- $1.50 drafts, fantastic juke box, warm, friendly atmosphere, great regulars and bartenders, phenomenal burgers and fries. I'm getting all choked up just thinking about it.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from leoneil47. Show leoneil47's posts

Here's a link to the book if anyone wants to buy it. Got stories and reviews and interviews from about 90 different spots.

http://www.amazon.com/Bostons-Best-Dive-Bars-Drinking/dp/1935439251

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from 3boysandababy. Show 3boysandababy's posts

The R bar on Congress in what they now call 'seaport district' Think it was actually called Bar but the b and the a fell off. Now that was a dive.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from bigbrig. Show bigbrig's posts

The Crystal Bar in Cambridgeside, on First St. across from the Galleria. The only dive bar located inside the ground floor of a parking garage, it an extension of the adjacent VFW. A great hang out for the local hi-tech crowds, including two taps, limited bottled beer selections and those infamous airplane service - sized bottles of wine, dust optional. No windows, no food except for a popcorn machine. It closed in 2008 but reopened a year later. I don't know whether it's still there or not, but I spent many a Friday night there after work.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from sixoneseven. Show sixoneseven's posts

Two more Cambridge dives you've probably never been to:

Paddy's Lunch

Joey Mac's

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeffrn. Show jeffrn's posts

Come on now, The fireside across from Forest Hills should be on the list. The place reaks of Mildew. The lights are always low and they even have a giant black spot right in the middle of the flat screen,probably from a beer being tossed at it. The bartender DAVE is a peach.He lookes like lurch from that Adams family and just as fast and friendly. Its open till 2AM and thats all that matters

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from leoneil47. Show leoneil47's posts

In Response to Re: Your go-to dive bar or neighborhood watering hole in Boston?:
    [QUOTE] Come on now, The fireside across from Forest Hills should be on the list. The place reaks of Mildew. The lights are always low and they even have a giant black spot right in the middle of the flat screen,probably from a beer being tossed at it. The bartender DAVE is a peach.He lookes like lurch from that Adams family and just as fast and friendly. Its open till 2AM and thats all that matters
    Posted by jeffrn[/QUOTE]

Fireside, Joey Mac's and Paddy's Lunch are all in the book!

http://www.igpub.com/bostondivebar.html

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from fwc. Show fwc's posts

Three words for you "Beacon Hill Pub"

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from jewelq. Show jewelq's posts

Sullivans Tap

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from syberjamie. Show syberjamie's posts

In Response to Re: Your go-to dive bar or neighborhood watering hole in Boston?:
    [QUOTE]I'll add Windsor Tap and Tripple Os to Pollie's candle list. 
    Posted by QIG[/QUOTE]

If you're talking about The Windsor Tap on the corner of Widnsor and Hampshire in Cambridge, it's been replaced by another bar (that doesn't look to "swell" either).

Back in the day, short beers where $.25, shots $.50, and the best fights on Friday were between the women. Great place! 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PBR+Friends. Show PBR+Friends's posts

I haven't been to TC's in while but it in the late 80's and early 90's the clientele was seedy enough that they used to require you put a deposit down for the pitcher your beer came in - still was the best bargain in town. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from forcedtoconfess. Show forcedtoconfess's posts

Bow and Arrow Pub, Harvard Square - one of the best ever.  Dime hot dogs ..... heaven