Pet-friendly places around Boston?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonDotCom. Show BostonDotCom's posts

Calling all dog owners: Are there certain places around Boston that you've found to be especially canine-friendly? Why?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from faypit. Show faypit's posts

In regards to the article titled, "Dog town, Going shopping or out to eat? Bring your pooch along -- they're welcome in a surprising number of places around Boston."

What a load of unscooped poop!

Outside of Denver, Colorado and the entire state of Ohio, Boston is one of the most dog-unfriendly places around. I don't see how any city can attempt to label itself as friendly to a species when members of that species are completely unwelcomed.

In July of 2004, Mayor Menino signed into law Breed Specific Legislation that targets "pit bulls and pit bull mixes" -- a generic term that can encompass several to dozens of specific dog breeds, depending on who you are talking to. BSL is a useless, expensive, time-after-time-proven-ineffective panacea that politicians use to pacify the masses into thinking they are doing something for public safety.

I implore Dennis Fisher to do a little research on how welcoming Boston is to all its canine inhabitants before declaring it anything as ridiculous as "friendly."

Click here for Boston's Ordinance:
    http://www.cityofboston.gov/animalcontrol/petpeeves.asp#pit

Dogfriendly.com actually has links listing Boston as among it's top WORST places for dogs:
    http://www.dogfriendly.com/server/general/corp/bsloverview.shtml

Other web sites Mr. Fisher might want to visit include:

http://www.understand-a-bull.com/
    http://pbrc.net/index.html

Sincerely,

Melinda Fayette
    A former inhabitant of Boston

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from dsnyc1. Show dsnyc1's posts

according to the t's website, the t is dog friendly:
    http://mbta.com/riding_the_t/pets/

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rloverme. Show rloverme's posts

My dog, Coco, commutes to work with me on the bus, the Orange Line and the Red Line at least three times a week. Aside from one unfriendly bus driver (who wasn't very knowledgable about the MBTA rules about pets), nobody seems to mind her.

When I lived in the South End, it was a well-known rule that dogs were prohibited from anywhere that sells food (I know of at least one instance where a coffee shop was temporarily shut down by the Health Dept. for having a dog inside while it's owner ordered a cup of coffee). This rule, along with the dog-unfriendliness in Copley and the Pru, made taking Coco with me somewhat of a calculated adventure.

I have found, however, that some cities and towns surrounding Boston are much more dog-friendly. In my new Chelsea neighborhood, shop-owners frown when I leave my dog outside. The same goes in Harvard Square. I'm not aware of the rules and regulations outside of Boston, but dog-friendly areas do exist.

Of course, after trips to Berlin and Paris, where dogs can readily be seen lounging next to their owners in restaurants, bars and coffee shops, a move to Europe does seem appealing...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from dogboston. Show dogboston's posts

Melinda, you misconstrue the truth when you say "Dogfriendly.com actually has links listing Boston as among it's top WORST places for dogs." In actuality, they only link to a site that says that. And the site is awkward looking, and very clearly, a Pit Bull site. I can live with Boston being a bad place for a Pit Bull.

But I do agree that the author was a bit off-target in his article... (i.e. Boston isn't the type of place where dogs run free and all get treated equally in every establishment). To focus the entire article on stores and restaurant is really only writing about the exceptions in this case... And the article had a very elitist tone to it... I guess we have a few socialities roaming around town with tiny dogs in pocketbooks, but again I believe that is the exception.

Dennis might have instead focused on the dog friendly parks around the city and beyond - and there is a nice list over here at my website I've been working on for about a year or so... DogBoston's Dog Parks list

Normal people with real dogs that track hair and mud throughout their houses get out and walk their dogs, and drive them to places where the experience is great...

I also think a better use of the Globe's resources might have been directed towards assisting/highlighting some of the dog parks that are trying to get off the ground. Ronan Dog Park in Dorchester is one that immediately comes to mind. Dog Parks = Community. The project only needs another $10,000 or so. That amount compared to what it could potentially bring to the area is a pittance compared to the potential Return on Investment of the dog park.

Brian H
    DogBoston.com

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from faypit. Show faypit's posts

<< I can live with Boston being a bad place for a Pit Bull. >>

You have photos of pit bulls right on your site. Do these folks know about your anti-pit bull sentiments? You're looking for monetary donations... have any of these pit bulls' owners donated to your dog park cause? Things that make you go "hmmm...?"

Do the people who frequent dog parks have any idea that the deadly parvo virus can survive for months (some say years) in soil? One single poop from one single infected dog can spread that deadly virus to any non-vaccinated or under-vaccinated dog that steps on the same soil. Some breeds are especially suseptible, even when vacciated properly.

http://www.workingdogs.com/parvofaq.htm

By the way:
    http://www.pbrc.net/dogpark.html

Melinda
    Blame the Deed, Not the Breed
    :-)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dogboston. Show dogboston's posts

Whoa!

Hey, I love all dogs. Love people that love dogs even more. There's something weird about "some" pit bull owners though... where it's like this itch you can't scratch... no matter what I say you won't be happy and want to continue fighting. Sorry... but I don't have a pit bull. Although I do know BSL does get taken the wrong way (for example some insurance companies list labs as a dangerous breed... silly!)

My point was that I think Boston is a great place for my dogs. And I'm not talking about walking them in and out of stores, or getting fake doggie coffee and doggie cake at the doggie bakery, I'm talking about trails and woods and hikes. There's so many amazing places around here for dogs (and people).

Not sure what you are trying to do by talking about that parvo (btw there is a vaccination for that).

So you're against dog parks? That's unusual.

Brian

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mlvogel. Show mlvogel's posts

Humans also pee and poop and "bark" (yell). I've encountered some pretty annoying humans in public places who certainly do not exhibit common sense or manners.

A well-trained dog does not pee or poop in a store, etc., (or bite, or bark). I know mine doesn't. Just like untrained humans, those particular dogs who are untrained should be left home. But, I see no reason why a well-trained canine cannot accompany its owner just about anywhere.

You sound like a person who just doesn't like pets. If the pet is not bothering you, get over it.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from goldengirl2362. Show goldengirl2362's posts

My pets are better behaved than your children, but your children are allowed in public places. Not fair. I take the time to socialize and train my dogs so they have good manners. I haven't noticed human breeders doing the same in ages.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from vaccapa. Show vaccapa's posts

Wow - I am thinking you made such an insulting post to garner some interest, but if you truly feel as you say - your problems run much deeper. My dog most certainly behaves much better than many toddlers and screaming children that I run into in stores, on city streets, in restaurants and parks. It is utterly ridiculous, the animostity that dogs face in so many circumstances.

Sure - there are a certain few that sometimes set a bad example, but I would say that there are equal instances of children and adults that do the same. Those should be either left at home or disciplined severely....

But for the vast majority of dog owners in the city, we are law abiding citizens that pick up after our dogs, leave them on their leashes when we are supposed to, but cherish the THREE hours a day that the city of Boston has been kind enough to let us have a TINY triangle of the Common to exercise and socialize our dogs. So many people lately have been complaining about dog parks and that they aren't necessary, are a breeding place for disease and are an eyesore - PLEASE! Get over yourselves! Humans to more damage thru littering, walking thru the grounds, peeing on trees, you name it! I could go on and on - but I think you get the point....

LONG LIVE THE DOG!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostongrl. Show bostongrl's posts

This forum is yet another instance of how dog un-friendly Boston is. Every time there is a question that is suppose to let dog owners share tips and places with each other, it turns into a forum of people fighting over whether or not dogs should even be allowed to exist. If you don't like animals ... stay out of this forum.

I personally find it frustrating to bring my dog around the city. I have ridden on the T with her and we've walked around downtown many a time. However, it is only during good weather since I've yet to find anywhere indoors we can go.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from lindonderry. Show lindonderry's posts

Oh ya, well I'm sure all people are very responsible dog owners. Here's what happened to me and my family two years ago. We where in Great Brook State Park, in Carlise getting out of our car with my 2 year old daughter. When we see two dogs charging at us with my daughter in stoller in front of us., with the owners yelling at us that their dogs are friendly, their friendly. So what did I do to protect my family. I picked up a good sized rock and threw it at one of those charging dogs, cloncked it off the head, it went down 10 feet in front of us, the other dog got scared enough to run off. Then we got into an argument with the dogs owners, the police came and the owners had to leave for a vet hospital. It was either their dog or my daughter. Perhaps if they had the dog on a leash they would not have had any problems.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from lindonderry. Show lindonderry's posts

Case in point. Dogs belong on a leash under the care of an owner. We had one women who brought her dog into work. Bid distraction for coworkers, as the dog was wandering all around everyones offices sniffing and barking.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from vaccapa. Show vaccapa's posts

Sounds like you are one of those overprotective, close minded people. First of all, are you serious about throwing a rock?? That is unbelievable - and I wish that you had to face some sort of charges for that. Here's a thought, how about walking in front of the carriage, picking up your child? I'm sorry that you had a bad experience but it is a fact that most dogs love people and children especially! I am apalled at your behavior, and attitude. Especially given your ironic screen name - Live Free or Die - may be the state motto, but you stand for completely the opposite!

One isolated experience (in which you completely over reacted), does not make all dogs bad. As it is - who knows if these dogs were even remotely bad, they probably would have come up, tails wagging, to show their love of children, instead you assault them and perhaps cause irrevocable damage! you should be ashamed......

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from lindonderry. Show lindonderry's posts

Well I'm sorry you disagree, but any sensible person, mostly a parent, that saw 2 dogs charging at a baby would do something. And if hitting the dog with a stick or rock or other means does the trick so be it. I can't image any parent taking a chance with two dogs running up to a baby to see if the dogs are friendly or not. And if the dogs where not friendly, then guess what the owners are held criminally liable. As was with the case I had with arguing with the owners in my incident. In fact I remember going over a neighbors house with my brother-in-law a few years ago and he saw a dog at the entrance door, he put out his hand for the dog to sniff and it bit him.

Or how about the time last year I was walking around the block with my next door neighbor with his dog and a new couple moved in with little kids and as we where welcoming him and his wife to the neighborhood the dog bit him, for no reason. Needless to say they put the dog down. It cost him $200 buck.

People matter more than a dog.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from vaccapa. Show vaccapa's posts

I am sorry you have had so many bad dog experiences..... I suppose we are going to have to agree to disagree. It is not as black and white as you say it is, but if there is a next time, I truly hope that you will not be hurling a rock at an innocent dog's head.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from faypit. Show faypit's posts

It's the dog owners that "Live Free or Die" had to deal with in that park that give all of us a bad name. If the dogs were leashed, then nothing would have happened. There would have been no need to yell, "They're friendly!" There would have been no police and no trips to the vet, and no traumatic afternoon for all parties when it was literally supposed to be a walk in the park. That incident as described is 100% the fault of the dogs' owner.

In a split instant of decision-making and reacting to charging dogs, he had every right to protect his family. Why on earth should he believe what some stranger is yelling? I don't believe anything another dog owner tells me about their dog. My experience has shown that more often than not the dogs are not "friendly" nor "trained" nor "socialized." Most of the time, they don't even have a decent recall and do not respond to their own name. We've all seen it-- "Buster, COME!" And their dog is gone-- across the street, through the woods, and jumping on people.

It's simple, yet so many dog owners think the basics do not apply to them for some reason:

1) Leash your dog.
    2) Scoop the poop.
    3) Spay / neuter and vaccinate your pets.
    4) Be respectful of others and their space.

Melinda

P.S. I stand by my earlier comments regarding dog parks being filthy and potentially disease-ridden places. Of course, I know there is a vaccine for parvo. But 1) many breeds are suspectible to parvo even when vaccinated and 2) how does anyone know if every other single dog that has ever touched that earth been properly vaccinated? You don't, because you can't.

There is an estimated 30,000 dogs living in Boston. Yet only 8,000 are licenced with the city. That means you can reasonably assume that only 27% of the dogs you come into contact with in the city are guaranteed to have had a rabies shot at some point in their life. Those are not odds I am willing to risk my dog's life over. If someone can't be bothered with a $6 dog license, why would I think they are going to spend the hundreds it takes to properly care for a dog?

THAT, along with the usual lack of training, lack of recall, and lack of basic social skills is why I am anti-dog park.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from robinreale. Show robinreale's posts

What a good way to make sure your daughter grows up afraid of dogs. Lucky for you it wasn't my dog you threw the rock at.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from lindonderry. Show lindonderry's posts

So what would you have done if two dogs where running up to a child in stroller, with the owners in the back ground yelling they're freindly they're friendly. Roll the dice and take a chance that nothing would happen to your child and if you where wrong? So tell me what you as a responsible parent do? Remeber a 18o month old is strapped in a stroller so no chance in picking them up

Gee all this talk reminded me about another incindent 2 winters ago, where my wife and I had our daughter in a sled walking around the block, enjoying the weekend day. Then two little white dogs, again not on a leash and the owners way behind them, came right up to my daughter and snipped and bit at her hands and feet for no reason at all. Again as a responsible parents, because thats what we responsbile parents do, my wife and I gave each of these dogs a good boot in the side, which more or less did the trick to get the dogs off my daugther. But then again the dog's owner and my wife got into an argument. With the owner saying you did nto need to do that to my dogs, they're friendly. Well excuse us, but your dogs did not need to be bitting at my child either for no reason. So if protecting my family, remeber a 2 year old is not big enough to protect themselve, means do what is necessary such as hitting a dog so be it. So which would be better sending a child to the ER with lacerations or a dog. Don't get me wrong, I don't abuse animals, but if one is attacking a person, especially a child, I take matters into hand

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from robinreale. Show robinreale's posts

I'm not quite sure what I would have done, but I know what I would not have done. You say you don't abuse animals, but in two short messages, you've admitted to (1) throwing a rock at a dog's head, and (2) you and your wife booting two dogs in the side.

I agree with previous posters, the dogs should have been leashed. That's still no excuse for your behavior.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from lindonderry. Show lindonderry's posts

So I guess its okay for a dog to bit a child, or abuse a child and I just look and and say oh well and shoe the dog away by yelling. No way. If a dog can bit a 18 month old then I take matters in my own hand, and if that mean unfortunalty hitting a dog to get it away from my child so be it, If the dog owner did not like tough cookies for them. So I guess for you its okay for a dog to bit and abuse a person for no reason, but God forbid someone reacts to this and its called animal abuse.

Any rational person would do the same.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from robinreale. Show robinreale's posts

If the owner of a car stepped out of their car in front of your house without putting the car in park and let the car roll into your house, what would you do? Kick the car or the owner?

Me, I'd take it up with the owner.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from boblat. Show boblat's posts

I am amazed you have found places in Cambridge.

Cambridge is so anti-animal that an MCAD examiner has recently found probable cause for discrimination based on Cambridge's antagonism toward a handicapped elderly woman's attempt to use her guide dog. They actually tried to throw her out of a city council meeting.

Her guide dog more recently was attacked in the LOBBY OF THE POLICE STATION by a Pit Bull apparently sicced on the dog by a cop. The officer on duty refused to take a complaint although he was present throughout the attack. Any punishments for involved police are unknown.

The city is aggressively destroying destroying animal habitat throughout the city and abuses dogs as much as they can get away with. They brag about finding tiny park areas where they DO NOT prohibit dogs.

The city is in the process of destroying hundreds if not thousands of trees and animal habitat at Fresh Pond.

The city is aggressively attacking animal habitat on the Charles River and has deliberately starved the Charles River White Geese (25 year residents) for the last three years at Magazine Beach/the Hyatt. The next attack on animals at Magazine Beach calls for digging up acres of grass and replacing it with grass and PHOSPHATES in spite of the fed's prohibition against new phosphate sources on the Charles River.

Thank you for your good report. Regretably, Cambridge has a truly reprehensible city government with a well organization political organization running around lying that Cambridge is exactly the opposite of what it is.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from lindonderry. Show lindonderry's posts

Hey thats a great idea good advise

So the next time an unprovocted dog bits or attacks anyone in my family or a kid in the neighborhood, I'll just let the dog just do as it wants, wait until its done, then take my toddler, wife or someone else to the ER room and latter on and just take it up with the owner. Because we all know yelling at a dog will make it stop bitting someone. Sorry if a dog attacks a kid then as a responsible person, I would do any means to remove the animal, and if that mean throwing a rock or stick, giving it a boot, or (to be blunt) killing the dog so be it. In either event if a dog bit a person you dispose of the animal.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from railgirl. Show railgirl's posts

Hi Live:

As a dog owner, I am in complete agreement with you. Just by reading all the posts I can tell there are just a couple of pet owners here I'm happy I'm NOT living near or next door to. It is every owners responsibility and in most cities/towns the LAW to keep their animal leashed at all times NOT when they feel like it. Just this afternoon I had my neighbor's dog come out of nowhere (unleashed) and surge at my mini Cocker. Mind you "Rosie" is 5 times the size of her. To Rosie my dog was an appetizer. I was lucky that I had a few seconds to react and I was able to scoop my dog up. The next thing I did was knock on my neighbor's door, interrupting her soap operas, to tell her to put her DAMNED dog in her yard! To which I got a half'-hearted, "Oh, sorry...".

People are ignorant. They think their dog is perfect and will "never do this or never do that." IT'S AN ANIMAL. Animals (dogs) have attacked their OWNERS after years of being with them. Any animal is unpredicatable and as an owner you have to take every precaution to make sure your animal is safe as well as anyone who may come into contact with them, espcially in an open area, dog park, etc. where there is a lot of commotion and activity usually.

Twenty years ago I saw a 5 year old girl attacked ob her own front porch by the two neighborhood Doberman's who were allowed to rule the neighborhood by the owner. Several complaints were made to the police and the owner had been fined many times BEFORE the incident. Several neighbors tried to remove the dog from the little girl with no success and they were even bitten by the two dogs in their attempts. The police arrived approximately 3 minutes into the attack and had to shoot both animals. The little girl spent the next 3 weeks at Children's Hospital and had to spend the next FOUR YEARS having plastic surgery on her face, chest and hands. Our neighbor "Charlie" said, "they never did anything like this before." He then had the audacity to stand in the middle of the street screaming and swearing at the police officers for what they did!!!

The sight of this event still has me petrified of Dobermans, although I realize it was an isolated incident and it was the owners ignornance over many years that ultimately caused this tragedy.

I agree that you did the right thing Live. There was no way of knowing what the two dogs intentions were. It is unfortunate that the ingnorant owners felt that their rights and their dogs "rights" (the dogs "rights" are dependent on how good of an owner you are), were more important than you and your family's. We all have to have mutual respect for each other with regards to our pets. Some people love dogs, some people don't. It is always best to assume that people don't. This way, someone will not throw a rock or shoot your dog. Keep it leashed and always in your control.

Sections
Shortcuts