Graduating? What will you miss about Boston? What won't you miss?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from afesposit. Show afesposit's posts

Re: Graduating? What will you miss about Boston? What won't you miss?

[QUOTE]I grew up in Boston, went to Northeastern, and then moved away.  I live in FL now and let me tell you, with all of the sunshine here i still long to move back home.  Yes, home.  I've never considered Florida my home - there is no sense of community here, no outpouring of concern/neighborhood, no sense of what made this country great.  My daughter had no concept of true American history until 10th grade. Politics are corrupt everywhere (not just MA - after all I live in the land of Jeb Bush).  The positives far outweigh the negatives - the only one that comes to mind negatively is the cold winters.  Crime here in MIA/Ft Lauderdale is no different - natives down here just like to prey on the unsuspecting tourists.  Once you leave Boston, if you have any sense of where you just left from, you will truly miss it. 
    Posted by gmmeakah[/QUOTE]

I missed it for a couple years and will now never go back.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from afesposit. Show afesposit's posts

I will miss all the fat chicks with their big gut rolls that fall out from under their shirts.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from kbarthelmes. Show kbarthelmes's posts

NU '08 graduate here.

Conors on Huntington Ave.  Best bar in Boston!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from afesposit. Show afesposit's posts

[QUOTE]Afesposit (BIG MIDDLE FINGER!!!) New York wanna be? No one bases their entire lives on a sports team. A die hard fan is just a fan. it doesn't effect the way they eat or go to the bathroom if you really wana be an idiot and use the word "entire". If you dont like it GET THE F*** OUT! If you dont live here waste your time talking about another city 
    Posted by ChefSullivan[/QUOTE]

I notice you didn't debate my fat chicks quote?  We all know that to be true.

Anyways, the entire ego and self worth of the region is based on the baseball team.  Get a grip dude. When V-tek says "we have the greatest fans in the world,"  he'd say the same thing if he played for the Texas Rangers if they would've paid him.  I'm sure you are yelling YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA...  b/c you are buying it. 

Enjoy your summa hanging out with the Southie trash, Joey, Bawby, Tawmy, Sully, Billy......

5. This post has been removed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from frabbit. Show frabbit's posts

I have to say I am not impressed by the level of reporting.

There are 10 things on the list.  One of them, the Paris Creparie hasn't been there for a few years.  The Spotted Apron which took over the spot has already come and gone as well.  The reason you would miss it is because it is no longer there!

Really shoddy reporting.  Do you not fact check or is online reporting a level below. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from nash99. Show nash99's posts

They'll probably miss the irony of living in a liberal bastion but you can't buy a beer on Sunday.....plus no way you can have a "happy hour" around here either. Again TOTAL LIBERAL SCUM SUCKING HACKS...That is Massachusetts

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mars. Show Mars's posts

I'm from Boston, in school here and cannot wait to be away from this place for the summer months.  What is there to miss?  Boston is not a big deal like natives think it is.  They're in such a bubble.  Boston does not offer enough.  M.G.L. says bars close at one or two.  And the T shuts down at one.  Those are my biggest complaints about the metropolitan area. 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ReaganWasRight. Show ReaganWasRight's posts

I wont miss watching all the idiots destroy property after a local team wins a championship.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ReaganWasRight. Show ReaganWasRight's posts

[QUOTE]How parochial and narrowly focused Boston can be.
    Posted by Trolley71or73[/QUOTE]

Hmmm. "Trolley". Probably one of the jerks that got caught trying to ride the Green line for free.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsox24manny. Show redsox24manny's posts

[QUOTE]So they interviewed students from BU, NU and Emerson over and over again.  Nice job in making the effort to canvass the other schools in the city like BC, Simmons, Wentworth, UMass Boston, Berklee, the list goes on... Put a little effort into this please. Really won't miss this rag when they shut it down today...
    Posted by ericksoncr[/QUOTE]

I agree. The contruction of this story went as follows. The reporter hung out just outside the Boylston Street Green Line Station and asked the first 10 students she came across and turned it in. I mean, she reported an answer TWICE (The Boston Common). Doesn't seem like alot of effort was put into this. But Hey, she posted something on the website! Yippie!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Southerner-in-MA. Show Southerner-in-MA's posts

What's not to miss?  Here are a few:

1) rude people
    2) horrible road system
    3) liberals
    4) outrageous prices
    5) corruption
    6) traffic
    7) ignorance of the world outside of Boston
    8) obnoxious behavior
    9) horrible, illiterate accent
    10) a Godless society

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Southerner-in-MA. Show Southerner-in-MA's posts

11) horrible weather
    12) long winter
    13) short gardening season
    14) terrible, rocky beaches that the natives think are the best beaches in the world
    15) lack of class
    16) leaf peepers that think great fall foliage only happens in New England
    17) colleges that no one has ever heard of that are legendary to the natives
    18) crowds
    19) pollution
    20) elitist arrogance

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mazda6Lvr. Show Mazda6Lvr's posts

I will miss all the exotic cars that come out when the crappy weather ends; the seeming millions of ethnic restaurants available at affordable prices without as many jerks around to irritate you (as compared to New York); and local ladies with their interesting local accents.

I will not miss the many ugly, poorly kept houses masquerading as "historical" homes (take some pride and keep it in better condition!); the freak of a street known as Comm Ave, that shares much of its length with the T, that has way too many giant potholes, and that wastes precious potential lane space with those stupid side-street setup; the potholes; the complete lack of any evidence of city planning (streets that go from one way to 2-way to one way the other way, that don't have signs to tell you which freaking street you are on, that bifurcates and trifurcates at random, that ends or turns around for no good reason) and its bag-of-worms streets.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from afesposit. Show afesposit's posts

[QUOTE]I'm from Boston, in school here and cannot wait to be away from this place for the summer months.  What is there to miss?  Boston is not a big deal like natives think it is.  They're in such a bubble.  Boston does not offer enough.  M.G.L. says bars close at one or two.  And the T shuts down at one.  Those are my biggest complaints about the metropolitan area. 
    Posted by Mars[/QUOTE]

Agreed, the nightlife in Boston is TERRIBLE. Not a world class city by any means.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Southerner-in-MA. Show Southerner-in-MA's posts

21) outrageous tax burden
    22) activist judges
    23) diminished personal freedom
    24) overpriced housing
    25) run-down, poor quality housing advertised as an investment opportunity
    26) racism (which is rampant although the natives pretend it doesn't exist)
    27) misbehaved sports fans who think the local teams are the best ever even though they just started to win championships over the last few years.  
    28) no good barbecue
    29) incompetent state legislature
    30) overpriced golf courses

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from afesposit. Show afesposit's posts

[QUOTE]They'll probably miss the irony of living in a liberal bastion but you can't buy a beer on Sunday.....plus no way you can have a "happy hour" around here either. Again TOTAL LIBERAL SCUM SUCKING HACKS...That is Massachusetts
    Posted by nash99[/QUOTE]

How dare you even mention being able to purchase a beer on Sundays or Happy Hour.  At least you have gay marriage to enjoy.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from afesposit. Show afesposit's posts

26) racism (which is rampant although the natives pretend it doesn't exist)

This is the best one of your list. It's sooooo true. I've lived in many big cities around the country and Boston is by far the most racist place I ever lived.  Shhhhh  let's not actually acknowledge that it exists though.  Ever been to Southie?  If you are a minority walking through Southie you take your life into your own hands.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mazda6Lvr. Show Mazda6Lvr's posts

btw, I used to agree with some of the comments that Southerner-in-MA brought up (rude people, traffic, corruption, high cost of living, etc), being used to living in the slower-paced South myself.  I kinda got used to much of that.  some reflections on what he has to say:

you learn to deal with what life throws at you -- i hated the winter until i started drifting and power-sliding.  skiing is an added bonus.

corruption unfortunately is bad everywhere (like several had mentioned);

there are proportionately just as many people who belong to organized religion as almost anywhere else (whether the many Catholics and other religions are full of Godless people or not is none of my business or concern);

it's easy to avoid the swarms of people;

i make more money now than when i got here so i don't mind the ridiculous cost of living here (so should you);

the beaches are everywhere and close by -- and some of them are quite nice 'n sandy without the dang crowds if you know where to look;

there are a lot more foolish conservatives than anyone admits (hello, Romney became governor how?!?)

we are all pretty ignorant as Americans; it's just that here Bostonians seem to flaunt it;

unfortunately most people don't consider a souther accent especially intelligent-sounding either (i think it's attractive in specific circumstances, but i digress); a Boston accent is no worse; and i do not think an accent can be illiterate anyway ...

i'm still moving out -- out of this state in fact.  ;)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mazda6Lvr. Show Mazda6Lvr's posts

Mars and afesposit have hit on a good point -- I came here thinking this is going to be such a "happening" city; a lot of kids I went to college with in St Louis complained how they could do this-and-that at such-and-such late hours in Boston.  Let's just say I won't miss it.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from chaps2210. Show chaps2210's posts

[QUOTE]We asked 10 graduating college seniors what they've come to love about Boston the past few years -- and what one thing they'll miss the most when they leave town. What will you miss?
    Posted by BDCTravelStaff[/QUOTE]

I miss the following:
    -Cute college babes
    -Walkability
    -The great bars and clubs
    -Amazing sport teams

I don't miss:
    -The incredibly tax burden
    -High cost of living
    -Rude people
    -Crazy drivers

I currently live in Fort Lauderdale, not sure if I would move back or not. Still on the fence.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from WestCountry2. Show WestCountry2's posts

I read several city newspaper (or formerly newspaper, now web-only) sites around the country and world every day and always find it amusing that Boston.com is the only site that asks questions like this. In other words, they ask "What do you love about Boston?" or "Why is life in the Hub better than anywhere else?" or similar. It's like a junior high kid saying "Tell me you like me!" Seems a sign of insecurity, at least among the Boston.com site staff. I moved from the Boston area about a year ago after 30+ years there and can tell you that while I miss the local coverage of the Sox and Patriots, and I miss great seafood and real pizza, I live in a whole other area of the country -- the midwest! --  that is vibrant and cultured and am ashamed I once thought of this area as flyover country. I will always love my time in Boston, but city is not "the Hub" of anything -- except itself.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kathw. Show kathw's posts

[QUOTE]What's not to miss?  Here are a few: 1) rude people 2) horrible road system 3) liberals 4) outrageous prices 5) corruption 6) traffic 7) ignorance of the world outside of Boston 8) obnoxious behavior 9) horrible, illiterate accent 10) a Godless society
    Posted by Southerner-in-MA[/QUOTE]

Hey Southerner - Um, do you think you may have wanted to TRANSFER?

I went to college in Boston and I live in the South now. Unlike you, I accepted Boston and embraced it as one of the most diverse and unique cities in the US. I have confirmed this assessment by having traveled and worked extensively throughout the country on business for over 20 years. It is a shame that achieving a higher education hasn't allowed you to open your mind to appreciate people, places and customs that are different from your own. What a terrible waste. I can't imagine how many other potential students there are out there that would have made your experience an absolute success, yet they did not have your opportunity. I love Boston. I love the South. There are some places where I have traveled and worked that I love more than others, but I learned to appreciate every city/community for what it is and what it has to offer rather than judge it based upon where I am from and what I know. I'm sorry you don't realize this now, but as you get out there in the world, I hope you are lucky enough to have the experience to spend time (live and work, not vacation) in other areas of the country and really allow yourself to be part of it; become part of it and see the place as part of that community and don't judge it based upon what you know.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from zahn. Show zahn's posts

I'm not graduating. These people are way smart.

Sections
Shortcuts